PDA

View Full Version : Show a Profit and Place to Win

midnight
11-13-2004, 09:02 PM
These two pencil and paper methods are sold by Jon Worth (aka John Farnsworth). While my phone conversations with the man do lead me to believe that he's sincere in his beliefs, and he certainly didn't try to hard-sell me anything, the results with each were not impressive.

I tested each of these with a database of the entire 2002 year of all United States tracks with an average daily handle of $500,000 or more, except the Canadian tracks.. To give you an idea of where the line is drawn, that includes such as Prairie Meadows and Great Lakes, and excludes such as Sunland, Portland Meadows, and Fairmount.

I had Ken Massa program some of the factors that are needed for these methods into my own copy of HTR.

I can't outline what criteria the methods use since that would be copyright infringement, but they sound like ideas and concepts that were popular in the 60's and 70's.

Show a Profit had the following results for maiden non 2yo (as specified by the method:

Plays: 4807
Show%: 59.6%
ROI: 0.88 (12% loss on a dollar)

Similar results for 2yo races and for non maidens.

Place to Win had the following results when played as recommended:

Plays: 2623
Place%: 51.4
ROI: 0.91

Plays: 2623
Show%: 65.5
ROI: 0.90

For perspective, here's what happened if you played every post time favorite in every race to show:

Plays: 50332
Show%: 67.4%
ROI: 0.89

Oddly, playing the same post time favorites to win only had an ROI of 0.82.

I paid about $80 for both methods, which included some newsletters and shipping and handling. I'm not unhappy with the purchase, because I learn something from every handicapping book or method, and one of the new ratings has other uses. But they're a far cry from making money, although I was able to tweak them a little with other HTR factors and get the ROI's up to close to even money.

There just aren't any black boxes that use information that is easily available to the public, imo.

kenwoodallpromos
11-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Use to place if 6 or less horses; to show if 7 or more; no stakes or dsraight maidens:

1) over 50%ITM
2) last 2 races ITM
3) trainer 10% or more last meet or last year
4) raced within last 90 days
5) no more than 1 period of 90 days or more without a race on PP's.
6) no more than 2 qualifiers per race.

Look for- regular works and races / suitable purse level / excuses and going wide a plus / use any other rules as you like.

Try this method on paper and let me know what you think. I cashed 47 straght at GGF with it.

SartinEnergy
11-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Which of the systems did you try ? The Show system or
something else. I have the systems...have not been able to
get around to testing and or betting. Jon is a stand up guy.

hurrikane
11-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos

Look for- regular works and races / suitable purse level / excuses and going wide a plus / use any other rules as you like.

Now there is a definative method if ever I have seen one.

midnight
11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm sure Jon Farnsworth is an honorable man, but the two methods I ran through the database don't work. The methods and analysis are listed in the first post in this thread.

SartinEnergy
11-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for your input.

ranchwest
11-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by midnight
I'm sure Jon Farnsworth is an honorable man, but the two methods I ran through the database don't work. The methods and analysis are listed in the first post in this thread.

I know you were looking for a profit, but to tell you the truth, I'm at least a little impressed that these methods panned out as well as they did. Beating the public on your race data is a step ahead of the average handicapper. If you can tweak it a bit, you might have something.

formula_2002
12-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by midnight

I tested each of these with a database of the entire 2002 year of all United States tracks with an average daily handle of $500,000 or more, except the Canadian tracks..

Midnight

Limit play to maiden special weight that go off at <2-1 favorites (place betting)

Joe M