PDA

View Full Version : Masters of War

hcap
11-13-2004, 09:18 AM
School Talent Show Draws Secret Service
Colorado Band Singing Dylan Song Seen as Threatening President Bush

"The students told ABC News affiliate KMGH-TV in Denver they are performing Bob Dylan's song "Masters of War" during the Boulder High School Talent Exposé because they are Dylan fans"

" But some students and adults who heard the band rehearse called a radio talk show Thursday morning, saying the song the band sang ended with a call for President Bush to die.

Threatening the president is a federal crime, so the Secret Service was called to the school to investigate.

Students in the band said they're just singing the lyrics and not inciting anyone to do anything.

The 1963 song ends with the lyrics: "You might say that I'm young. You might say I'm unlearned, but there's one thing I know, though I'm younger than you, even Jesus would never forgive what you do ... And I hope that you die and your death'll come soon. I will follow your casket in the pale afternoon. And I'll watch while you're lowered down to your deathbed. And I'll stand o'er your grave 'til I'm sure that you're dead."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/print?id=247437

I guess the 60's was too immoral for the bushies.
Maybe we can ban flowers next. Even the non-smokable ones.

:rolleyes:

linrom1
11-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Those guys should've gone to perform at Ramallah. :) :) :)

Tom
11-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Totally inappropriate song. Period.
Same if the were to sing (c)rap songs about killing cops.
Grow up. You are acting like baby.

hcap
11-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Yeah inappropriate for Berlin circa 1943, or Moscow mid 50's.
Might get your head blown off.

Oh wait a freakin minute, these are our free kids in a free country, singing an anti-war song.

What's a matter, mommy don't allow no hippies to play with Tommy?

Tom
11-13-2004, 11:29 AM
FREEE! Define FREE you moron!
Those punk brats are doing this on MY TAX DOLLARS.
That is the difference. Let these little pukes go out and protest they want to ....when THEY pay the bills.
Until then, they need to learn one thing...SHUT UP and learn. Your opinions are not welcome, needed, or tolerated. You are in school to learn. Perioid. Because everyone else is forced through taxes to pay for your heads full of mush to gt educated. NOT to allow you to sing about the death of the president.
What you moronic dems consider to freedom is just disgusting to
me. Educational crap like this is why so many of these pathetic little wastes of lives grow up to go on welfare. If partial birth abortion is legal, then I say expand the time frame to include the high school years. And local referendums on who.

GameTheory
11-13-2004, 11:36 AM
All the Secret Service did was do their job and investigate a potential threat. No is stopping the kids from singing the song. They would have had to do the same thing if Kerry or anyone else was in office.

What does this have to do with Bush? Nothing.

Tom
11-13-2004, 11:49 AM
GT....Hcap is hinting that they are singing about Bush.
And I still say, they have no right singing that kind of crap stuff on taxpayer's dollars. These little pukes have no right of free expression in this case. The school should shut them down. That would be a real life lesson.

Equineer
11-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Tom,
Those punk brats are doing this on MY TAX DOLLARS.Unlikely... and it they are not... if maybe they are doing this on national debt dollars... I guess your rage must encompass your nutty rant to attack everyone who buys our Treasury obligations.
:eek:

hcap
11-13-2004, 12:12 PM
It's the mindset that is a product of fear.

"But some students and adults who heard the band rehearse called a radio talk show Thursday morning, saying the song the band sang ended with a call for President Bush to die."

Ignorance of a good song, by uninformed individuals, yes but also by the Secret Service as well...
Why the hell did they even investigate??? Maybe Bob Dylans' lyrics should be part of their education. They helped change a generation.

According to Boulder principal Ron Cabrera.....

Cabrera said Secret Service agents questioned him for 20 minutes and took a copy of the lyrics. They did not ask to speak to any of the students but they did question a teacher who had supervised a student protest that was held at the school last weekend.

Tom what about your tax money paying the secret service to be idiots? How can kids singing an anti-war song in a school be a potential threat?

Equineer
11-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
All the Secret Service did was do their job and investigate a potential threat. No is stopping the kids from singing the song. They would have had to do the same thing if Kerry or anyone else was in office.

What does this have to do with Bush? Nothing. Quite true, Bush was at Andover and Yale from 1961-1968 during Dylan's heyday.

In fact, Masters of War, is probably on one of Bush's old albums... given that Princeton undergraduates overwhelmingly elected Dylan as "their" American Poet Laureate in a contemporary student poll.

JustRalph
11-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Dylan can't Sing!!!! When will you damn hippies realize that.....

The 60's generation is way overrated..............the music was good......though...........

GameTheory
11-13-2004, 07:25 PM
If someone calls the Secret Service (or says on a radio show and word gets to the Secret Service) that someone is possibility threatening the president, it is their job to investigate. They did their job -- it has nothing to do with Bush per se. What's the big deal?

Do you want the Secret Service to ignore threats? It sounds like that they determined just as you have that there was no threat, and that was that. You are making this out like there was some "incident" and there was none. Is having a chat for 20 minutes some big deal?

BIG RED
11-13-2004, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JustRalph
When will you damn hippies realize that.....

The 60's generation is way overrated......

....that's only if you can remember the 60's :cool: