PDA

View Full Version : Frank Rich article

highnote
11-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I think Rich makes an interesting point about Fox News. For all the pandering they do to the Far Right, they sure do broadcast a lot of crap shows loaded with sex.

Then again, they know that sex sells.

I especially like the final point he makes about the family in Ohio who supported Bush and his anti-gay marriage stance while at the same time the family's income fell from 55K to 35K. His point can be argued, but it can also be well taken.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/11/12/features/rich13.html

boxcar
11-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Maybe Fox Broadcast stations and FNC (two separate entities under the Fox banner) are sly like their chosen name.
Fox Broadcast programs to attract the more base or more ignoble of character in our socieity, while, conversely, FNC programs to appeal to the more virtous and noble within the same socieity. Talk about having the best (and worse) of both worlds...!

Boxcar

sq764
11-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by swetyejohn
I think Rich makes an interesting point about Fox News. For all the pandering they do to the Far Right, they sure do broadcast a lot of crap shows loaded with sex.

Then again, they know that sex sells.

I especially like the final point he makes about the family in Ohio who supported Bush and his anti-gay marriage stance while at the same time the family's income fell from 55K to 35K. His point can be argued, but it can also be well taken.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/11/12/features/rich13.html

Maybe money isn't everything to people... (Someday the Dems might understand this)

highnote
11-12-2004, 03:11 PM
SQ,
That's right. Values are more important than money. That's why I said Rich's point could be argued.

But if values are more important than money, then Fox must be lacking in values, otherwise they wouldn't show sex-laden shows and would show Little House On The Prairie and Jerry Falwell type shows when they are not broadcasting right tilted news.

That is the paradox of Fox.

Then again, maybe they're just being fair and balanced -- trying to give everyone what they want while making as much money as possible.

????? who knows ????

sq764
11-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by swetyejohn
SQ,
That's right. Values are more important than money. That's why I said Rich's point could be argued.

But if values are more important than money, then Fox must be lacking in values, otherwise they wouldn't show sex-laden shows and would show Little House On The Prairie and Jerry Falwell type shows when they are not broadcasting right tilted news.

That is the paradox of Fox.

Then again, maybe they're just being fair and balanced -- trying to give everyone what they want while making as much money as possible.

????? who knows ????

Well, I agree with some of this...

Values are more important than money to some.... Money is still important, no doubt..

Funny that you mention Jerry Falwell... There is a paradox in itself... How does a guy who preaches faith in God, sacrifice, giving to the church, get so damn rich? Good investments????

You are forgetting that although Fox is obviously tilted one way, they are also a company. And in order for the company to survive, they need to make money..