PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lavasoft/ad-aware

so.cal.fan
11-06-2004, 11:05 AM
I know some of you guys use this software.
I have been using it, it wasn't working all that well, so I took it off my computer and re-installed the latest version. It works good.
I sent them a question, and have not heard back from them.
Does anyone know if we are suppose to delete our quarantined lists?
All mine are just minor data gathering "bugs' for advertisers.
I have never gotten anything with more than a "low" risk.
I just didn't know if I should periodically delete the quarantine files?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

:confused: aka so.cal.fan

cj
11-06-2004, 11:16 AM
If you use a wireless connection and Windows XP, it can eventually cause some problems. There is a fix available that you have to run every now and then.

If anyone needs the fix, let me know.

so.cal.fan
11-06-2004, 01:19 PM
I am on broadband cable and I use Windows XP, cj
I am interested in knowing any information.
Thanks

Dick Schmidt
11-06-2004, 04:08 PM
SoCal,

I've used Ad-aware for about three years now, and run it without fail every day. I've yet to have it not find at least one piece of spyware.

What I have done is turn off the quarantine function and just delete everything it finds. It has never deleted anything of any value. Remember to update its spyware file at least once a week.

This is one of the two or three programs that I consider vital for all computers, and I make sure it is on every computer I use. I've put it on friends computers, removed as many as 350 pieces of spyware and seen speed increases and the curing of myriad problems. The program is free, and I highly recommend it to every computer user.

Dick

so.cal.fan
11-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Dick, I did download it a while back because of your recommendation on this board about it....and it has worked well for me.
So, you are saying that it is okay for me to delete the quarantined objects periodically?

One reason I un-installed the original, was because when I started to delete.....I seemed to start getting more spam.....such as buy drugs online, etc. For a while I had stopped getting them and I wondered if the quarantined spyware was protecting me.
If this is a dumb question, forgive me, I just don't know.
It may have been a coincidence, because I'm still getting more than usual spam.:confused:

Dave Schwartz
11-06-2004, 04:29 PM
SPAM?

I have a great spam blocker. It is now blocking 4,000 spams per day!

I cannot wait until next year when we change all our email addresses and domains!

Dave

cj
11-06-2004, 04:50 PM
So Cal, I was having lots of troubles with my wireless connection going in and out for no apparent reason. I did some research, and found this:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

If you aren't having problems, don't worry about it. I haven't had a problem since, so it was definitely my problem.

so.cal.fan
11-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks, cj....I'll check it out.

Dick Schmidt
11-07-2004, 03:52 AM
SoCal,

What I'm saying is don't quarantine anything in the first place. The program allows you to turn off that feature and just delete the puppies. Doing this has nothing to do with the amount of spam you receive. I've never had a problem with Ad-aware, but some of the other programs will delete vital files if you give them half a chance. Spybot has recommended deleting some files I know were needed to run some charting software I use. Now I stick with Ad-aware.

Dick

Be polite, Be professional, have a plan to kill everyone.

JustRalph
11-07-2004, 04:54 AM
I ran the latest ad-aware on a clients machine today (he had it installed, and swears it was updated) and it found a few items.

I then installed the latest version of spybot and ran it. It found 243 items and a browser hijack that was apparent to me without either program.

I recommend you run both programs.......they seem to overlap each other and work pretty well to cover all bases.

But what the hell do I know.............

so.cal.fan
11-07-2004, 11:04 AM
This was posted on the spybot site:

Since yesterday evening, places like BetaNews or MajorGeeks offer Spybot-S&D, version 1.3.2 beta (spybotsd132b.exe). We're not sure how this version reached them or why they do publish it, but this had been an internal test version and was never intended for public use.

We strongly advise you to not use this version, as it contains debug code that will most probably fail on your computer. An official new version will be out quite soon, please look for announcements on the official site and on our support forum first.

JustRalph
11-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Thanks......... I carry a version on a thumb drive around my neck........."Geek Bling" as my wife likes to call it.

I just checked my version of spybot and it is not the same version as mentioned above. thanks for the heads up. I recommend these mini cruzer drivers to everybody. Mine is 256 megs. they make them up to 1 gig I am told.

http://www.sandisk.com/download/photos/retail/256MB_CLR_wLanyard.jpg

Dick Schmidt
11-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Got to agree with JR, as I too use Spybot once in a while, but I'm very careful and never just let it delete everything it finds.

Dick

Tom
11-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Maybe somebody will someday invent a computer OS that is actually SECURE?????
Or am I dreaming?

Zaf
11-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Funny, I have been using ad-aware for quite some time. When I try to start it now I get a message "Reference File not loaded or invalid" , cannot run the web update either.

Anybody have a clue :confused: ???

ZAFONIC

Pace Cap'n
11-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by zafonic
Funny, I have been using ad-aware for quite some time. When I try to start it now I get a message "Reference File not loaded or invalid" , cannot run the web update either.

Anybody have a clue :confused: ???

ZAFONIC

Make sure you have the latest version, which I believe to be "AdAware SE Personal, Build 1.05".

If anyone knows of a later version, let us know.

so.cal.fan
11-07-2004, 07:40 PM
I would suggest doing what I did,
I un-installed Ad-Aware, went to their website and downloaded the most recent free version.
It seems to be working fine.

Zaf
11-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks Pace & SoCal. I'll give that a try.

ZAFONIC

so.cal.fan
11-07-2004, 08:03 PM
I just downloaded 1.05 a couple of days ago. It's the latest.

cj
11-08-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Thanks......... I carry a version on a thumb drive around my neck........."Geek Bling" as my wife likes to call it.

I just checked my version of spybot and it is not the same version as mentioned above. thanks for the heads up. I recommend these mini cruzer drivers to everybody. Mine is 256 megs. they make them up to 1 gig I am told.

Try this baby out!

http://www.directron.com/secpendri2000.html

or even better...

http://www.supermediastore.com/pendrive-4gb-flash-drive.html

JustRalph
11-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Damn! 4 Gigs for $908 bucks...............CJ........I have one question, who needs 4 Gigs around there neck? Maybe James Bond?

cj
11-08-2004, 12:15 PM
For $908, I know who DOESN'T need 4G around his neck! What is funny is that 2 years from now, that will probably cost about $50!

JustRalph
11-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Damn! 4 Gigs for $908 bucks...............CJ........I have one question, who needs 4 Gigs around there neck? Maybe James Bond?
It's "Their Neck" I gotta start sleeping more.............

You know CJ........I bet it will be at least 30% cheaper in a year or so.........4 gigs is tons of data..........some of those things they promised us in the early 80's are starting to come true. Now that is the cool part if you ask me.

Zaf
11-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks Guys,

Installed the new version. Seems to work better than the old one. It found 250 files the old one did not find.

What exactly is a browser hijack ? Doesn't sound good.

ZAFONIC

JustRalph
11-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by zafonic
Thanks Guys,

Installed the new version. Seems to work better than the old one. It found 250 files the old one did not find.

What exactly is a browser hijack ? Doesn't sound good.

ZAFONIC

when you get it, you will know it. You won't be able to control your browser settings. The home page etc goes wherever it wants based on surreptitious code planted on your machine.......

Speed Figure
11-09-2004, 03:10 AM
I run ccleaner 1st than ad-aware.

http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.php

MichaelNunamaker
11-09-2004, 03:44 AM
Hi JustRalph,

You wrote "Damn! 4 Gigs for $908 bucks"

and you later wrote "I bet it will be at least 30% cheaper in a year or so..."

Aww, you know the computer industry moves faster than that<G>. Look at www.dealram.com. The cheapest 4GB USB pen drive sells for $359.00 today. I picked up a 4GB compactflash card last week for $315 including shipping. The low price has fallen about 5% since I purchased a whole week ago.

This industry never ceases to amaze me.

Mike Nunamaker

JustRalph
11-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by MichaelNunamaker
Hi JustRalph,

You wrote "Damn! 4 Gigs for $908 bucks"

and you later wrote "I bet it will be at least 30% cheaper in a year or so..."

Aww, you know the computer industry moves faster than that<G>. Look at www.dealram.com. The cheapest 4GB USB pen drive sells for $359.00 today. I picked up a 4GB compactflash card last week for $315 including shipping. The low price has fallen about 5% since I purchased a whole week ago.

This industry never ceases to amaze me.

Mike Nunamaker

Michael.........thanks for the tip......... I still don't know who needs 4Gigs around their neck or in their pocket..........but if I buy that new digital camera ........you never know..........with the average size of a Bris Data file in zipped format.....at about 200k or a little less.......you could haul around the entire history of thoroughbred racing ..............then again I know some guys with giant databases that might just enjoy that.............

cj
11-09-2004, 05:12 AM
Convenient backup maybe? $359, now I'm thinking about it! :D:D:D

Tom
11-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure
I run ccleaner 1st than ad-aware.

http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.php

You turned me onto ccleaner. It works great. Thaks again.