PDA

View Full Version : Ghostzapper vs. Smarty Jones

andicap
11-05-2004, 11:35 AM
How come Ghostzapper, the fastest horse in years, is able to race in 2005 and yet Smarty Jones heads to the breeding shed?

Why didn't Ghost's connections put him out to breed? Surely his value can't increase any more?

I'm very curious as to the reasons for this. Are Ghost's owners more benevolent than Smarty's? I hate to believe that. Is there a difference between 3 yr old and older horses when it comes time to making breeding decisions and racing for another year??

I never got a really satisfactory answer on why the Chapmans put SJ out -- even tho they swore they wanted to race him another year and they don't really NEED the money -- other than pure greed. Were there other interests that they had to take into account (i.e., it wasn't just THEIR shares they were risking by racing SJ at four, but others as well. While with Ghost it's just the owners???)

I'm not looking to start a thread bashing the Chapmans...I'm just trying to learn something here.

kenwoodallpromos
11-05-2004, 01:07 PM
IMO the records show smarty ran even fractions- and the Belmont proved Smarty could be beat by a simple tag-team strategy since he is so predictable, so why have him keep losing?
They achieved their goal- proving he was the best 3 year old.
The faster the track the more GZ thrives, so my prediction is GZ will only run in relatively short fields and never on an off track.

cj
11-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Horses who prove their worth as 2yos and 3yos are more precocious, and thus, worth more in the breeding shed. Buyers want a quick return on the investment, not to wait til their million dollar baby turns 4 or 5 to reach its potential. I don't really like it, but I think that is the reason.

cj
11-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
IMO the records show smarty ran even fractions- and the Belmont proved Smarty could be beat by a simple tag-team strategy since he is so predictable, so why have him keep losing?
They achieved their goal- proving he was the best 3 year old.
The faster the track the more GZ thrives, so my prediction is GZ will only run in relatively short fields and never on an off track.

That is ridiculous...you really think he showed his "weakness" being beaten at a mile and a half and in his 3rd grueling race in 5 weeks? He never would have faced those circumstances again, and certainly would have beaten up on the 3yos, Birdstone included, through the Travers.

Buddha
11-05-2004, 01:42 PM
The only thing that I can think of is that Ghostzapper is a homebred and I dont know if Stonach/Adena Springs usually keeps their own stallions or sells them. If they keep their own, then they can potentially create a higher stud fee for him by racing him longer and getting more G1 wins

andicap
11-05-2004, 01:57 PM
But Buddha,
there's not much more GZ can prove. Isn't the only risk a downside one, even if he's a homebred?

Why is that he's a homebred relevant? (curious only.)

turfspec
11-05-2004, 03:12 PM
A report in the local Phila. press said that the Chapman's had second thoughts about Smarty's retirement and sought a second medical opinion on the horse's leg problems. A different type of bone scan was performed on the horse in Ky. and according to trainer Servis the Vet report came back that the horse could not stand the rigors of training and racing without serious risk of permanent injury and so any thought of a comeback was set aside for the welfare of the horse.

Rob

RXB
11-05-2004, 03:41 PM
The people who operate the horse racing industry, as a group, are just out of it.

They're breeding the stamina and soundness right out of thoroughbreds. And yet, they still demand early season 3YO's to run 10 furlongs, 9.5 furlongs and 12 furlongs in a span of five weeks.

And then they wonder why so many of these horses are finished shortly afterward. And they wonder why there are so few great champions anymore.

cryptic1
11-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Mr. Stronach stands his own stallions either in Kentucky
or Florida. He owns two farms in Ocala and I believe two farms
in Kentucky as well as one in Ontario. My understanding is that
he has stallions in all three places with the best in Kentucky.
Ghostzapper will be at the training centre near Boynton beach
to be freshened for next year.

cryptic1

saratoga guy
11-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Something else to chew on -- for the cynically minded (like myself, I guess)...

Ghostzapper won't have raced next year until he races next year (and that's more than just a Yogi-ism).

I wouldn't discount the notion that the quick declaration by Stronach that Ghostzapper would be back to race as a 5YO was something of a PR move to play into HOTY voters minds as kind of an anti-Chapman move.

In other words, many pundits expressed disappointment when Smarty was retired -- so what better way to play into their good graces than to say you're bringing your horse back.

Then, looking into our crystal ball, he wins the Eclipse and a couple of months later one of those ubiquitous ankle injuries befalls him -- oops, sorry, and we really wanted to race him too. Oh well...

the little guy
11-05-2004, 05:15 PM
The problem with your " theory ", Saratoga Guy, is he would miss the breeding season with your plan.

saratoga guy
11-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by the little guy
The problem with your " theory ", Saratoga Guy, is he would miss the breeding season with your plan.

How's that? -- Eclipse votes are in before the end of the year... And announced in January.

CryingForTheHorses
11-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by cryptic1
Mr. Stronach stands his own stallions either in Kentucky
or Florida. He owns two farms in Ocala and I believe two farms
in Kentucky as well as one in Ontario. My understanding is that
he has stallions in all three places with the best in Kentucky.
Ghostzapper will be at the training centre near Boynton beach
to be freshened for next year.

cryptic1

The Stronach Racing Team is one of the finest in the country..Second to no one.His horses get the best of care and he does monitor the operations along with his son Andy.His horses seem to stand the test of time and he likes to see them run rather then going to the breeding shed.His farms in Ocala and Canada are run like clockwork.He does make working with horses a lot of fun, He is a considerate person to his help and really is a great boss to work for. He strives for perfection and does help any way he can . Frank would NEVER ask any of his employees to do something he couldnt do himself, I have seen him cook burgers for the barn and wash and walk horses.I have even seen him muck a stall..Funny how you remember these thing..Now he is a mega-force.

the little guy
11-05-2004, 05:48 PM
"Then, looking into our crystal ball, he wins the Eclipse and a couple of months later one of those ubiquitous ankle injuries befalls him -- oops, sorry, and we really wanted to race him too. Oh well..."

I was assuming you meant what you posted...my mistake.

saratoga guy
11-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I was assuming you meant what you posted...my mistake. [/B]

No, no, not at all. "My bad" as they say.

I was simply trying to convey a thought on the subject -- I didn't realize I had to have it mapped out to the second...

Buckeye
11-05-2004, 09:24 PM
It's real simple, they never met. GZ is worth probably WAY more than 48 million dollars, because he's much faster than Smarty ever was. :rolleyes:

He's so much faster he's worth probably 200 million or more!

I'll give HOY to GZ but would Smarty agree?

Don't think he gets to vote.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
The Stronach Racing Team is one of the finest in the country..Second to no one.His horses get the best of care and he does monitor the operations along with his son Andy.His horses seem to stand the test of time and he likes to see them run rather then going to the breeding shed.His farms in Ocala and Canada are run like clockwork.He does make working with horses a lot of fun, He is a considerate person to his help and really is a great boss to work for. He strives for perfection and does help any way he can . Frank would NEVER ask any of his employees to do something he couldnt do himself, I have seen him cook burgers for the barn and wash and walk horses.I have even seen him muck a stall..Funny how you remember these thing..Now he is a mega-force.

Are you trying to land a job with Stronach or what? LOL

JustRalph
11-08-2004, 12:53 AM
I see Smarty Jones Momma just went for 5 million.........

she is in foal to "Elusive Quality" Smarty is going to have a full brother or sister