PDA

View Full Version : Should police go into "black" areas?

GMB@BP
09-13-2020, 05:13 PM
This seems like a really stupid question but it seems like there are many outcomes to answer a call for help and most of them are possible negative outcomes.

These officers messed up and were in their car in Compton.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-county-sheriffs-deputy-shot-in-compton-agency-says/

Seems like you show up and do your job and maybe nothing happens. If you get caught into a resist or deadly force situation with threat of your life if you defend yourself, even when video supports your actions, its going to be a problem.

Then there is this whole ambush thing, that seems to be supported in some circles.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/naacp-talbert-swan-blue-lives-no-such-thing

I mean should there be black only parts of the force that responds to those calls?

Why even go to those calls in the current political climate, especially if your are white? I dont pretend to know what should be done but where this is going seems like a very violent ending.

jay68802
09-13-2020, 05:23 PM
Sort of nailed the main reason for the BLM movement. For decades local and state governments have came up with ways to increase activity in "high crime" areas. This also put police into highly "black" or minority areas. The training of our officers then showed. I do not want to disrespect our officers, but when they seemed to be trained to go around peoples rights, the results have given us what we are seeing now.

JustRalph
09-13-2020, 05:37 PM
Sort of nailed the main reason for the BLM movement. For decades local and state governments have came up with ways to increase activity in "high crime" areas. This also put police into highly "black" or minority areas. The training of our officers then showed. I do not want to disrespect our officers, but when they seemed to be trained to go around peoples rights, the results have given us what we are seeing now.

There is nothing wrong with Police training. It’s the best practices in 50 years.

George Floyd et al were results of stupid cops being stupid. Add to that the unseen circumstances (Floyd is full of drugs) and you get a very bad outcome. Btw, the knee on the neck was an approved hold and was part of the training in Minneapolis.

Cops aren’t Doctors and nurses. They very often cannot tell when a suspect is in medical distress. I was a hospital cop for a couple of years early in my career. It gave me a huge advantage over other officers.

“Going around peoples rights?” Give me an example? Rights decisions are pretty easy for cops.....they are made early in a contact with a suspect. They can become complicated later in an event, but usually cops know where they stand early on.

jay68802
09-13-2020, 05:42 PM
The question "Do you have any drugs or weapons in the car?"

Next question is "Do you mind if I search your car?"

Answer to the first question does not matter.

jay68802
09-13-2020, 05:45 PM
And, the George Floyd result was not from the cops being stupid. He was the only one of three people in the car that acted in a manner to draw attention to himself.

MONEY
09-13-2020, 05:50 PM

I never asked those questions when I was a cop, but on more than one occassion I have been asked those questions by cops. Answering NO to both questions didn't matter. My car was searched anyway.

MONEY
09-13-2020, 05:53 PM
And, the George Floyd result was not from the cops being stupid. He was the only one of three people in the car that acted in a manner to draw attention to himself.
To my knowlege there is no first aid book in circulation that suggest or recommends kneeling on someones neck when they complain about having trouble breathing.

jay68802
09-13-2020, 05:59 PM
To my knowledge there is there is no book in circulation that recommends resisting arrest.

PaceAdvantage
09-13-2020, 06:09 PM
Money & Ralph...what stopped those cops from just getting him in the car by force?

From the videos I remember seeing, he was halfway in the police car at one point...would it have been all that difficult to just shove the rest of him in there and shut the door?

This is the part I have a hard time reconciling....I don't get why they took/let him out of the car and back on the street again...as if they really cared that he was claiming to be claustrophobic?

MONEY
09-13-2020, 06:19 PM
To my knowledge there is there is no book in circulation that recommends resisting arrest.
It is also illegal to pass bad checks, drive without a license or commit murder.
This is not about the illegal actions of the perpetrator.
It's about the improper actions of the cop after the criminal was under control.

GMB@BP
09-13-2020, 06:34 PM
The Floyd issues has been well discussed.

I am just trying to figure out if you are an officer why even deal with it anymore.

It also seems on some levels these ambush tactics of pure cold blooded murder are hardly even getting attention.

CNN doesnt even have it on their page, not sure they ever did.

Tom
09-13-2020, 06:34 PM
It is also illegal to pass bad checks, drive without a license or commit murder.
It's about the improper actions of the cop after the criminal was under control.

Its not improper if it was part of their training, as Ralph posted.

thaskalos
09-13-2020, 06:53 PM
There is nothing wrong with Police training. It’s the best practices in 50 years.

George Floyd et al were results of stupid cops being stupid. Add to that the unseen circumstances (Floyd is full of drugs) and you get a very bad outcome. Btw, the knee on the neck was an approved hold and was part of the training in Minneapolis.

If the knee on the neck is an approved part of Police training in Minneapolis...isn't this an indication that there might be something wrong with the Police training in some places?

MONEY
09-13-2020, 07:02 PM
Money & Ralph...what stopped those cops from just getting him in the car by force?

From the videos I remember seeing, he was halfway in the police car at one point...would it have been all that difficult to just shove the rest of him in there and shut the door?

This is the part I have a hard time reconciling....I don't get why they took/let him out of the car and back on the street again...as if they really cared that he was claiming to be claustrophobic?
George Floyd was big and tall, it would have been easy for him to brace himself
on one side of the car and kick the windows out on the other side. Also Floyd was resisting. When transporting someone in a police car it is required to seat belt them in. His resisting made that impossible.

It doesn't look like he was throwing punches or trying to injure the cops.
Believe it or not, his behavior should've been expected because his type of resistance happens all of the time.

Floyd was in cuffs, so as soon as he stopped resisting and exclaimed "I can't breath" the cops should have sat him up and called for an ambulance.

boxcar
09-13-2020, 07:03 PM
If the knee on the neck is an approved part of Police training in Minneapolis...isn't this an indication that there might be something wrong with the Police training in some places?

How many deaths have been caused by the "knee on the neck" maneuver? Find that out and that will answer your question. :coffee:

thaskalos
09-13-2020, 07:16 PM
How many deaths have been caused by the "knee on the neck" maneuver? Find that out and that will answer your question. :coffee:

I was never a policeman, but the "knee on the neck" maneuver seems a tad excessive when used to restrain an unarmed and handcuffed person who is already in prone position on the ground. Especially when the prone and handcuffed suspect is surrounded by 4 police officers.

TJDave
09-13-2020, 07:30 PM
“Is it possible to arrest somebody without hurting them?“

“ABSOLUTELY. We’ve been doing it for years.”

https://youtu.be/jtKnclF2Bk0

dirt
09-13-2020, 07:41 PM
Not as excessive as holding a gun to a pregnant woman’s stomach

GMB@BP
09-13-2020, 08:03 PM
“Is it possible to arrest somebody without hurting them?“

“ABSOLUTELY. We’ve been doing it for years.”

https://youtu.be/jtKnclF2Bk0

The thing about that video is that there was no worry about a possible weapon, an unknown that I would imagine changes the dynamic in the confrontation.

chrisl
09-13-2020, 08:06 PM
I was never a policeman, but the "knee on the neck" maneuver seems a tad excessive when used to restrain an unarmed and handcuffed person who is already in prone position on the ground. Especially when the prone and handcuffed suspect is surrounded by 4 police officers.

Funny how the post starts with " I was never a policeman" but then goes on telling you what a "Policeman" did wrong. Complete Joke. Thank God you were never a Policeman. For are public's sake.

Tom
09-13-2020, 08:11 PM
To address the OP, the Black community wants the police to be there - and they want even MORE of them to be there.

ElKabong
09-13-2020, 08:12 PM
Funny how the post starts with " I was never a policeman" but then goes on telling you what a "Policeman" did wrong. Complete Joke. Thank God you were never a Policeman. For are public's sake.

Amen brother

jay68802
09-13-2020, 08:24 PM

Realy?

thaskalos
09-13-2020, 08:50 PM

Oh, okay then...I stand corrected. Two smart guys like you and Elkabong can't possibly be wrong. The policeman who knelt on George Floyd's neck for 8 minutes did NOTHING wrong. :ThmbUp:

chrisl
09-13-2020, 09:00 PM
Oh, okay then...I stand corrected. Two smart guys like you and Elkabong can't possibly be wrong. The policeman who knelt on George Floyd's neck for 8 minutes did NOTHING wrong. :ThmbUp:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Keep digging that hole brother. As usual, you completely misinterpreted my post. You put your fear of being wrong in front of everything and everybody. Armchair Quarterback, who has never played the game. Keep going, it is entertaining

thaskalos
09-13-2020, 09:06 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Keep digging that hole brother. As usual, you completely misinterpreted my post. You put your fear of being wrong in front of everything and everybody. Armchair Quarterback, who has never played the game. Keep going, it is entertaining

And what "game" have YOU played, friend...to back up all the opinions that YOU'VE given on this board? Have you ever given an opinion here on something that you weren't an "expert" in? :rolleyes:

JustRalph
09-13-2020, 09:07 PM

You can refuse searches. Never consent.

Btw the one trend that I hated was

“Stop”

“Sniff”

“Search”

Good narc dogs are few and far between. They are an excuse to search.

JustRalph
09-13-2020, 09:10 PM

You must be confused. I don’t think the contact with Floyd was just a car stop. I think he was passing fake cash?

JustRalph
09-13-2020, 09:12 PM
George Floyd was big and tall, it would have been easy for him to brace himself
on one side of the car and kick the windows out on the other side. Also Floyd was resisting. When transporting someone in a police car it is required to seat belt them in. His resisting made that impossible.

It doesn't look like he was throwing punches or trying to injure the cops.
Believe it or not, his behavior should've been expected because his type of resistance happens all of the time.

Floyd was in cuffs, so as soon as he stopped resisting and exclaimed "I can't breath" the cops should have sat him up and called for an ambulance.

Exactly right!

JustRalph
09-13-2020, 09:16 PM
To address the OP, the Black community wants the police to be there - and they want even MORE of them to be there.

When I was a 911 operator in Charlotte (2009-2010) on 3rd shift I would get calls from older black men and women begging for more cops in the neighborhoods. All I could do was pass the request on to the watch commander in their area via text message. It was sad.......

GMB@BP
09-13-2020, 09:25 PM
When I was a 911 operator in Charlotte (2009-2010) on 3rd shift I would get calls from older black men and women begging for more cops in the neighborhoods. All I could do was pass the request on to the watch commander in their area via text message. It was sad.......

Then leaders in these areas, such as the guy in charge of the NAACP should be standing up for the police while advocating for more accountability, not essentially saying its justifiable from a certain view.

You cannot right a wrong with evil, the end result will be disaster.

Back to my point, I would not be excited at all to rush into a situation right now in these areas, hell I bet even black cops might feel the same.

jay68802
09-13-2020, 11:38 PM

Are you ****inig joking? It is about the illegal actions of the perpetrator.

Get a ****ing clue.

jay68802
09-13-2020, 11:48 PM

Hate to say this, he died from a overdose, want to play some more?

jay68802
09-13-2020, 11:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJy3c4ACiU&list=RDASJy3c4ACiU&start_radio=1

thaskalos
09-13-2020, 11:56 PM
Hate to say this, he died from a overdose, want to play some more?

Play some more with whom...with YOU? What would be the use? You say he died of an overdose. Would he be dead if the cop handcuffed him and had sit up? And, before someone reminds me that I'm not a cop and I shouldn't criticize "Police procedure"...I hasten to remind everyone that this sound suggestion was originally presented by the poster MONEY...who happened to BE a cop. :ThmbUp:

jay68802
09-13-2020, 11:59 PM
Yes bitch, play with me tonight. Just saying.

jay68802
09-14-2020, 12:01 AM
Yes bitch, play with me tonight. Just saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCxN0qAAx4U&list=RDASJy3c4ACiU&index=2

jay68802
09-14-2020, 12:06 AM
Here is the thing. I am correct about the actions of GF. And you are not. He was a criminal. Being a criminal.... have fun with that.

jay68802
09-14-2020, 12:13 AM
GFY, anyone wonder why the videos were not released ASAP?

jay68802
09-14-2020, 12:14 AM
Oooooooooooooooooops.............................. ........

thaskalos
09-14-2020, 12:15 AM
Lay off the sauce...or the handicapping. The two don't mix. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2020, 12:18 AM
Are you ****inig joking? It is about the illegal actions of the perpetrator.

Get a ****ing clue.

Jesus Christ...people are right...this place is a cesspool.

All because thaskalos gave up the moderator position here in OT....oh what could have been...lulz