PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Intelligence Algorithm beats human F-16 pilot in DARPA trial

Jeff P
08-23-2020, 04:47 PM
airforcemag.com | Aug. 20, 2020 | By Brian W. Everstine
Artificial Intelligence Easily Beats Human Fighter Pilot in DARPA Trial:
https://www.airforcemag.com/artificial-intelligence-easily-beats-human-fighter-pilot-in-darpa-trial/

In the battle of artificial intelligence versus a human fighter pilot, it wasn’t even close.

The artificial intelligence algorithm, developed by Heron Systems, swept a human F-16 pilot in a simulated dogfight 5-0 in the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s AlphaDogfight Trials on Aug. 20. The company beat out seven other companies before going head to head with “Banger,” a pilot from the District of Columbia Air National Guard and a recent graduate of the Air Force Weapons School’s F-16 Weapons Instructor Course. The pilot, whose full name was not provided, is an operational fighter pilot with more than 2,000 hours in the F-16.

Imo, scary and interesting.

-jp

ElKabong
08-23-2020, 05:14 PM
Interesting, yes. But add multiple variables (attacks by multiple aircraft from different angles of pursuit, multiple ground to air attack positions etc) and AI won't outperform capable pilots given real life conditions imo

FakeNameChanged
08-23-2020, 05:16 PM
airforcemag.com | Aug. 20, 2020 | By Brian W. Everstine
Artificial Intelligence Easily Beats Human Fighter Pilot in DARPA Trial:
https://www.airforcemag.com/artificial-intelligence-easily-beats-human-fighter-pilot-in-darpa-trial/

Imo, scary and interesting.

-jp

Why risk human lives when AI manned weapons/aircraft/vehicles can replace them? I don't understand why we aren't pursuing EMP weapons in police cars, military aircraft, etc. to just shut down the enemy's systems. Planes just lose all control and cars just shut down. No need to be firing projectiles into armored canopies, to kill or destroy equipment. Pull the plug. We need guys like Musk developing weapons.

davew
08-23-2020, 05:23 PM
Interesting, yes. But add multiple variables (attacks by multiple aircraft from different angles of pursuit, multiple ground to air attack positions etc) and AI won't outperform capable pilots given real life conditions imo

skynet has begun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator)

Actor
08-23-2020, 08:07 PM
Why risk human lives when AI manned weapons/aircraft/vehicles can replace them? I don't understand why we aren't pursuing EMP weapons in police cars, military aircraft, etc. to just shut down the enemy's systems. Planes just lose all control and cars just shut down. No need to be firing projectiles into armored canopies, to kill or destroy equipment. Pull the plug. We need guys like Musk developing weapons.Right! And the thing is that an air to air combat algorithm is relatively simple. You simply need to solve the problem of placing your plane's bullets, missile or even the plane itself (kamikaze strategy) to intersect with the enemy aircraft. The big advantage of AI is that there is no pilot that will black out when g force exceeds 10. AI can withstand g forces far in excess of 10.

Another advantage is that a manned fighter needs a life support system to keep a 170 pound pilot alive. Eliminate that and the plane can be a lot smaller, meaning we can build a lot more of them for the same money.

With AI the kamikaze strategy makes sense. Replace planes with anti-aircraft missiles that return home only if the target gets away.

What about the Atlas robot? It looks like something straight out of Star Wars and is supposed to be for search and rescue. Department of Defense says they have no interest in it. Bull! Somewhere out there (Area 51?) DoD is developing a combat infantry robot. A Terminator that's going to be on our side and nobody back home is going to cry if it gets killed.

Actor
08-23-2020, 08:11 PM
skynet has begun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3RIHnK0_NE

hcap
08-24-2020, 03:12 AM
Interesting, yes. But add multiple variables (attacks by multiple aircraft from different angles of pursuit, multiple ground to air attack positions etc) and AI won't outperform capable pilots given real life conditions imoNot yet.
Do you understand the accelerating rate of advancement in A.I.?

FakeNameChanged
08-24-2020, 07:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3RIHnK0_NE

Wow, those soldiers trust that machine a lot more than I would. Why the need to make a robot(soldier) in a man's physical shape? Seems like for running, climbing, stability, and low profile; it would be better to be down on four legs, with some wheels attached.

PaceAdvantage
08-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Wow, those soldiers trust that machine a lot more than I would. Why the need to make a robot(soldier) in a man's physical shape? Seems like for running, climbing, stability, and low profile; it would be better to be down on four legs, with some wheels attached.It's not actually real....that's why...

This video is a comedic parody and is not owned, endorsed, created by, or associated with the Boston Dynamics company.

Guys like Actor, who pride themselves on being all-knowing and all-rational...even get duped themselves once in a while...shocking, I know.

davew
08-24-2020, 10:55 AM
Wow, those soldiers trust that machine a lot more than I would. Why the need to make a robot(soldier) in a man's physical shape? Seems like for running, climbing, stability, and low profile; it would be better to be down on four legs, with some wheels attached.

I agree, that robot needs to eliminate all impediments toward his target.

mountainman
08-24-2020, 11:43 AM
Where IS that Red Baron when you need him??

davew
08-24-2020, 03:22 PM
the CIA has also been training chimps (cheaper than mercenaries)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU

Actor
08-24-2020, 05:26 PM
Wow, those soldiers trust that machine a lot more than I would. Why the need to make a robot(soldier) in a man's physical shape? Seems like for running, climbing, stability, and low profile; it would be better to be down on four legs, with some wheels attached.How would it climb stairs?

Actor
08-24-2020, 05:29 PM
It's not actually real....that's why...

Guys like Actor, who pride themselves on being all-knowing and all-rational...even get duped themselves once in a while...shocking, I know.You picked up on the fact that it's a parody did you? That's revealed by "Bosstown Dynamics" in the lower right corner rather than "Boston dynamics." Irregardless, something like this is only a matter of time.

Actor
08-24-2020, 05:31 PM
Where IS that Red Baron when you need him??He's dead. I thought you knew.