PDA

View Full Version : Another Dud

Observer
03-21-2002, 01:01 AM
Coolmore has purchased another multi-million dollar stud dud. A P Valentine has been retired from stud duty at the ripe old age of 4 because of infertility. Syndicated for $16 million after winning the GI Champagne, A P Valentine joins Cigar in the stable of stud duds, as it was five years ago that the hall of fame nominee came up blank after Coolmore bought in for a partnership with Allen Paulson to the tune of $25 million. After the insurance settlement, Cigar was moved to the Kentucky Horse Park where he resides today.

PaceAdvantage
03-21-2002, 01:09 AM
I don't get it....why aren't these stallions TESTED for fertility problems BEFORE these farms fork over the money?? One would think that insurance companies (and I assume Coolmore has insurance against this type of thing) would DEMAND fertility tests be done prior to issuing a policy...etc....

Is there some sort of unwritten law in the breeding business that says it's the "in-thing" to roll the dice and gamble whether or not your new multi-million dollar stud can make babies???? Where is the logic here?

Again, what am I missing?? (common theme today...)

:confused:

==PA

Observer
03-21-2002, 01:14 AM
Hey, this game is based on gambling!! How about forking over hundreds of thousands of dollars for a stud fee, and never having that baby hit any sort of track, training or otherwise, for even one day of its life.

Or how about forking over millions of dollars at the sales on a yearling, and never seeing it make it to a trainer's barn at a racetrack.

The gambling isn't only done at the windows!

PaceAdvantage
03-21-2002, 01:16 AM
It makes no sense...no business sense, that's for sure!

==PA

Whitehos
03-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi P.A.

Every stud horse has a sperm test before it is retired. from racing. The results give you a sperm count that is taken artifically. When the real thing is supposed to happen that may be a different story.
Whitehos

sq764
03-22-2002, 11:21 PM
Or how about the Kentucky foal disaster last year.. How many millions you think went down the drain there?

Scott

Observer
03-23-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Or how about the Kentucky foal disaster last year.. How many millions you think went down the drain there?

Scott

Never mind the money .. how about all those potential babies that could have been the future champions of our game? Now that I find sad. :(

When a farm spends millions upon millions on a future stallion prospect, I consider that ridiculous, especially for a horse like A P Valentine. Cigar had at least proven to be a true champion. Of course, what I find just as ridiculous, if not more, are the farms who send their mares to unproven, high-priced stallions when there is proven quality to be had at much more reasonable prices.

Tom
03-23-2002, 10:00 PM
Love your avatar!
Cool!
:eek: Tom

Observer
03-23-2002, 11:00 PM
Thanks Tom! Being a fellow Simpson's viewer myself, I have to say yours is pretty neat too!

Tom
03-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Observer
Thanks Tom! Being a fellow Simpson's viewer myself, I have to say yours is pretty neat too!

You can have all the Paris museums and all the NY theaters, and all the opera, and all the symphonies, but I think the "Simpsons"
is ture art! I have a 10" Bart doll that sticks onto my monitor with suction cups. One day, he fell off, spilled my coffe into my lap, and when I leaned over to pick him up off the floor, I fell out of my chair sideways. He is soooo life-like!

Tom

Observer
03-24-2002, 02:08 PM
Tom,

While reading your message, I fell off MY chair because I was laughing so hard!

:D