PDA

View Full Version : Start Spreading the News: NYC Is Dead Forever… Here’s Why

Tor Ekman
08-17-2020, 02:26 PM
Pretty good take on why NYC isn't bouncing back this time, and not from an NYC-hater but from a NYC-lover.

https://jamesaltucher.com/blog/nyc-is-dead-forever-heres-why/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

davew
08-17-2020, 03:18 PM
I suspect many already know. Those that can afford to move already have.

DeBlasio and his base will have the town to themselves.

Redboard
08-17-2020, 03:30 PM
Wait. There is hope.

2020 election: Trump can win New York state, would be first Republican since Reagan (https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2020/08/2020-election-trump-says-he-can-win-new-york-state-would-be-first-republican-since-reagan.html)

RunForTheRoses
08-17-2020, 03:33 PM
Wow. Scary. Can't refute.

RunForTheRoses
08-17-2020, 03:44 PM
https://nypost.com/2020/08/17/antifa-protesters-trash-apple-store-whole-foods-in-brooklyn/

Peaceful protesters in Billyburg. Their kids must be hungry.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2020, 04:04 PM
The virus has absolutely KILLED NYC.

And yes, it is NOT bouncing back. EVER.

NOBODY is working there anymore...anyone who can, is WORKING FROM HOME.

And companies aren't going to FORCE PEOPLE BACK anytime soon.

Then they'll realize they don't need to pay MILLIONS PER MONTH for all this office space...wow...what a savings...

IT'S DEAD.

GONE.

SAY GOODBYE.

I HOPE TRYING TO GET TRUMP OUT OF OFFICE WAS WORTH THE DEATH OF NYC. <-- for you HCAP

biggestal99
08-17-2020, 04:04 PM
As I told sandy w in our sports betting chat, when he said sports betting would never be legal in Jersey forever.

Forever is a long time.

nYc not in vogue right now.

It will be sometime in the future, when who knows.

Allan

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Even the guy that wrote the blog doesn't quite get it yet:

And then in June, during rioting and looting, a second wave of NYCers (this time including me) left. I have kids. Nothing was wrong with the protests but I was a little nervous when I saw videos of rioters after curfew trying to break into my building.Hilarious....

biggestal99
08-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Wait. There is hope.

2020 election: Trump can win New York state, would be first Republican since Reagan (https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2020/08/2020-election-trump-says-he-can-win-new-york-state-would-be-first-republican-since-reagan.html)

Hopeless. Most voters in nyc would rather poke their two eyes than vote for trump.

We know him and what a loser he actually is.

How many hard campaign bux are you going to spend on winning New York?

Zero.

Jousting windmills would be more productive.

Allan

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2020, 04:15 PM
God I hope clicknow reads the article at the link in the original post. I'd love to get her rosy happy thoughts that will counter the doom and gloom written by Mr. Altucher.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2020, 04:16 PM
Hopeless. Most voters in nyc would rather poke their two eyes than vote for trump.

Zero.

AllanNot gonna be anybody left in NYC soon to vote for either candidate.

Just the good Mayor painting signs in front of Trump Plaza...that will be about it....:lol::lol::lol:

Painting in the streets while NYC burns...anybody write an article like that in the NYT yet condemning the good mayor for letting his city destroy itself? No?

What a shocker.

RunForTheRoses
08-17-2020, 04:18 PM

Zero.

Allan

Upstate and Long Island will go red. If there is low turnout, ya never know. Ya Gotta Bereave.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2020, 04:22 PM
Wow...that guy just totally NAILED why NYC is DEAD and never coming back anytime soon...if at all.

Just totally NAILED IT.

Everyone who has championed MONTHS OF LOCK DOWN needs to read this.

Redboard
08-17-2020, 04:24 PM

Then they'll realize they don't need to pay MILLIONS PER MONTH for all this office space...wow...what a savings...

IT'S DEAD.

GONE.

SAY GOODBYE.

I HOPE TRYING TO GET TRUMP OUT OF OFFICE WAS WORTH THE DEATH OF NYC. <-- for you HCAP

What made NYC, especially Manhattan, so appealing was the culture — the theaters, concert halls, comedy clubs, restaurants, museums, etc. Always something to do and somewhere to go. The author paints a gloomy picture that these are gone forever and the thousands of chefs, actors, performers, producers, artists, etc, will take their talents somewhere else. But where are they going to go? In every city these places are shut down. These businesses require hordes of people to make a profit, which just aren't happening anywhere in the country yet.

Surveys show that most people would rather live in a walkable city. The rents will have to come down. Imaging a place with spectacular theaters, concert halls, comedy clubs, restaurants, museums, etc, AND low rents!

Who knows.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2020, 04:27 PM
The key to the ENTIRE CITY is the WORKFORCE.

That is the key.

Get the WORKERS back, and you might be able to save the city.

But WHY would they ever come back? The great experiment has been implemented. YOU CAN WORK SUCCESSFULLY from home.

All those office buildings that used to be teeming with workers at their desks....if I owned a company and could get away with it, why would I blow all that $$$ on unnecessary commercial real estate?

No real estate? No workers.

No workers? No NYC.

That's it. Pretty much end of story.

Everything else trickles down from that...

jay68802
08-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Macys leaving Chicago, Uber and Lyft leaving California? What do these states have in common?:eek::bang:

RunForTheRoses
08-17-2020, 04:44 PM
Next year, when state and local governments have to deal with huge deficits, it will be very scary. Scarier than any horror movie.

fast4522
08-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Wow...that guy just totally NAILED why NYC is DEAD and never coming back anytime soon...if at all.

Just totally NAILED IT.

Everyone who has championed MONTHS OF LOCK DOWN needs to read this.

Trump gets 4 more years it would be a good to move the United Nations out. NY would be less of a target and the United Nations twenty times less costly to protect. Just think of the revenue to NY that would be lost on that one. Someplace in the Bermuda area would be swell, even better inside the triangle.

tucker6
08-17-2020, 05:17 PM

IT'S DEAD.

GONE.

SAY GOODBYE.

If NYC is dead and COVID was partly or mostly responsible, should HCAP count it as a COVID death?

jay68802
08-17-2020, 06:17 PM
If NYC is dead and COVID was partly or mostly responsible, should HCAP count it as a COVID death?

Twice...

Marshall Bennett
08-17-2020, 07:15 PM
Cuomo and De Blasio wrecked the joint. :)

fast4522
08-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Cuomo and De Blasio wrecked the joint. :)

The fools who voted for them need intervention.

Tom
08-17-2020, 09:14 PM
As I told sandy w in our sports betting chat, when he said sports betting would never be legal in Jersey forever.

Forever is a long time.

nYc not in vogue right now.

It will be sometime in the future, when who knows.

Allan

When the street creatures are removed.
The word you want is not vogue - it is civilization.

NYC has a disease far deadlier and costlier than Covid-19 - democrats.

Tom
08-17-2020, 09:16 PM
Twice...

:pound::pound::pound::pound:

RunForTheRoses
08-18-2020, 10:48 AM
Californey Too

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8631063/Hollywood-Apocalypse-rich-famous-fleeing-droves.html

'Liberal politics has destroyed this city,' he says. 'The homeless encampments are legal and there's nothing the police can do. White, affluent middle-class folk are getting out. People don't feel safe any more.'

Lou Ferrigno became friends with Schwarzenegger when both worked out at Gold's. While he might not be quite a household name like Arnie, Ferrigno starred in the TV series The Incredible Hulk and became one of the wealthiest bodybuilders in the world, with a fortune of $12 million.

President Donald Trump appointed him to his council on fitness, sports and nutrition in 2018.

But Ferrigno, for all his impeccable connections, has become fed up with what he describes as the 'dramatic decline' in LA. He and wife Carla recently sold their £3 million home in Santa Monica and moved into a 7,146 sq ft mansion two hours north of LA.

Carla says: 'One morning around 7am I opened the curtains in our beautiful Santa Monica home and looking up at me from our driveway were three gang members with tattoos on their faces sitting on our retaining wall. They were cat-calling me and being vulgar. I motioned I was going to call the police and they just laughed, flicking their tongues at me and showing me their guns.'

Her husband added: 'We put the house up for sale after 40 wonderful years and moved north. We feel lucky to have made it out. Now we are in a wonderful place and very happy.'

Tom
08-18-2020, 10:55 AM
Prediction...bookmark this page.

If Biden wins, MEXICO will take over the building of the wall.

oughtoh
08-18-2020, 04:21 PM
But can Mexico put it up quicker than the Dems can take it down.

davew
08-18-2020, 10:56 PM

and it will look like a high speed rail mostly going south to north

biggestal99
08-20-2020, 10:12 AM

Assisted by Steve bannon. The wall money thief.

Allan

jimmyb
08-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Hizhonor DiBlasio's wife getting 2 million tax payer dollars for a staff of 14 while the mayor is cutting city workers for lack of funds. WTG azzhole.

JustRalph
08-20-2020, 11:34 AM
https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/19/safe-neighborhoods-are-too-privileged-for-bill-de-blasio-to-let-them-exist/?fbclid=IwAR0Dnv6sS3BGo4XP1kWNV8fPc26opNd5t1bzIR_z zEg0b2jwPh3kSMqeXRM

More

clicknow
08-20-2020, 03:24 PM
affluent middle-class folk

If you've even mildly followed wage and demographics for the last 20 years, the words "affluent" and "middle class" are no longer in the same plane.

THere's affluent, and then there's middle class. 2 very distinct groups nowadays.

RunForTheRoses
08-20-2020, 04:38 PM
If you've even mildly followed wage and demographics for the last 20 years, the words "affluent" and "middle class" are no longer in the same plane.

THere's affluent, and then there's middle class. 2 very distinct groups nowadays.

Ok, I'd probably agree with you on that. Note, this was only a man on the street comment. But what about the rest? Your silent about the meat of the article.

PaceAdvantage
08-20-2020, 05:30 PM

THere's affluent, and then there's middle class. 2 very distinct groups nowadays.What did you think of the link at the start of this thread?

Please give me your rose-colored glasses take on NYC's future...

Or do you have your hands filled with QAnon?

RunForTheRoses
08-21-2020, 08:53 AM
Another gloom and doom take:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/when-half-of-nycs-tax-base-leaves-and-never-comes-back/

clicknow
08-21-2020, 09:06 AM
But what about the rest? Your silent about the meat of the article.

What rest? What meat?
For 40 years now the words middle class and affluent can't be used in the same sentence with any semblence of likeness, despite both Rs and Ds being in the WH.

There is no rest.

Please give me your rose-colored glasses take on NYC's future...

I haven't given much thought to NYCs future. If it was a horse race I'd give it about the same odds as somewhere like Houston, esp. if it gets hotter, and more weather events. Spread out metro area, nothing but asphalt, (flooding), and the heat and humidity there made me feel like I was breathing cotton balls all day, while thousands of cars spewing exhaust.

I just finished a book about a guy who walked hundreds of miles in different cities. I guess I'll take a walkable city any day at this point, over a spread out suburban metropolis though.

I don't live in NYC, so am more concentrated on what is going on in my own region. You sure do seem "dialed in" about them though. Why is that? Do you live in one of the boroughs or Manhattan? It's not like a major art and cultural center is going to move over into fly over country like where I live now. Maybe we can move the museum of modern history over to Sturgis or somehwere?

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2020, 09:20 AM
I haven't given much thought to NYCs future.Odd.

I guess you don't consider the death of America's largest and most famous city to be of much potential consequence.

A price well-paid for the worldwide COVID-19(84) hype and lock downs (by most, but not ALL countries).

Good to know.

davew
08-21-2020, 09:40 AM
Another gloom and doom take:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/when-half-of-nycs-tax-base-leaves-and-never-comes-back/

Cuomo and DeBlasio better make a law or addict that grandfathers anyone who lived there the past 10 years become residents forever, so they can support the social programs of a failed party,

tucker6
08-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Cuomo and DeBlasio better make a law or addict that grandfathers anyone who lived there the past 10 years become residents forever, so they can support the social programs of a failed party,
I wonder how they'll get around the taxation without representation issue.

clicknow
08-21-2020, 10:24 AM
I guess you don't consider the death of America's largest and most famous city to be of much potential consequence.

I don't equate your wish for it's demise to be prophetic.

BTW, according to the Republican memes, since Rs are more self-sufficient harder working types, smarter and all that......then all the states with people earning highest per capita incomes should be in Red states.

However, the numbers suggest quite the opposite.

All the states where people can earn well are Blue, and the lowest median household incomes are in the Red states. Seems like the Red state leadership isn't doing something right if their citizens are not prospering?

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2020, 10:25 AM
And here I'd thought you'd be posting all these reasons why Altucher has it dead wrong about NYC.

I guess even you can't paint a pretty picture of a dumpster fire...

Death of NYC = TOTALLY WORTH!

brought to you by COVID-19(84)

tucker6
08-21-2020, 10:31 AM

BTW, according to the Republican memes, since Rs are more self-sufficient harder working types, smarter and all that......then all the states with people earning highest per capita incomes should be in Red states.

All the states where people can earn well are Blue, and the lowest median household incomes are in the Red states. Seems like the Red state leadership isn't doing something right if their citizens are not prospering?
I thought you were neither DEM nor GOP. I remember being told that in the beginning by someone on here. Let me find it. Oh yeah, it was you that said that.

newtothegame
08-21-2020, 10:37 AM
I thought you were neither DEM nor GOP. I remember being told that in the beginning by someone on here. Let me find it. Oh yeah, it was you that said that.

Yeah Tuck, I called this person out from nearly day one!!! It was obvious then as it is now... :bang:

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2020, 10:39 AM
Don't you worry. CN will be around soon to tell you why you are always 100% wrong about everything no matter what.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

She's a gentle, completely misunderstood soul (here, anyway...because all you guys are idiot/conned Trump supporters) who is full of life and is taking COVID-19(84) in stride...

davew
08-21-2020, 10:55 AM
And here I'd thought you'd be posting all these reasons why Altucher has it dead wrong about NYC.

I guess even you can't paint a pretty picture of a dumpster fire...

Death of NYC = TOTALLY WORTH!

brought to you by COVID-19(84)

I also hope it brings a fracture and loss for the democrat party

MargieRose
08-21-2020, 11:20 AM
Yeah Tuck, I called this person out from nearly day one!!! It was obvious then as it is now... :bang:Oh no, that was me. :D Way back, I had asked her to be honest with herself and own up to her true bias. Of course, she never did...still, a closet lib feigning probity, and with oodles of like-minded cohorts from all imaginable walks of life. We all should be so lucky! :rolleyes:

JustRalph
08-21-2020, 12:08 PM

Yeah.....that’s a fair comparison. I would think Appalachia and Mississippi and Louisiana would be enough to spike that comparison.

Considering the Wall Street bonuses etc, sure a fair comparison.

clicknow
08-21-2020, 11:03 PM
Aw. Calling out never and non-Trumpers.

On this board, of all places. Imagine that!

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2020, 11:11 PM
Aw. Calling out never and non-Trumpers.

On this board, of all places. Imagine that!I'm just going to go ahead and chalk you up as one of the reasons why I'd like to see Trump win another four years...and we'll just leave it there.

clicknow
08-22-2020, 03:25 AM
I'm just going to go ahead and chalk you up as one of the reasons why I'd like to see Trump win another four years...and we'll just leave it there.

You don't seem to understand. Let me explain it in horse racing terms. The horse you don't put money on isn't much of a concern to you.

My only "investment" is on the horse I put my $2 on. Since it will probably be a write-in, I fully expect to lose my $2 bet.

Trump will not receive my vote, I will not be counted "for" him in the popular vote.

Because of the electoral college, my state always goes republican. I'd say 60%. So there's little chance of actually voting against him. I just don't want to be counted for him.

Quite frankly, the idea that he will dump all the problems in somebody else's lap so that the next person takes the blame doesn't sit well with me. So I will not be much affected if he wins.

My life will be the same whether Trump wins or loses. My friendships will be the same whether Trump wins or loses. I love living here, red or blue, and I have one of the best racetracks in the country at my fingertips, not to mention a great community overall.

If it makes a huge difference in your life then by all means, go for it. Maybe some of the constant complaining and gloom and doom here might dissipate if he gets reelected. That would be a relief to read once in a while. :)

I have a low opinion of Mr. Trump, that's all. I see no reason to lie about that to get "green boxes" here. :)

sammy the sage
08-22-2020, 08:09 AM
You don't seem to understand. Let me explain it in horse racing terms. The horse you don't put money on isn't much of a concern to you.

My only "investment" is on the horse I put my $2 on. Since it will probably be a write-in, I fully expect to lose my $2 bet.

Trump will not receive my vote, I will not be counted "for" him in the popular vote.

Because of the electoral college, my state always goes republican. I'd say 60%. So there's little chance of actually voting against him. I just don't want to be counted for him.

Quite frankly, the idea that he will dump all the problems in somebody else's lap so that the next person takes the blame doesn't sit well with me. So I will not be much affected if he wins.

My life will be the same whether Trump wins or loses. My friendships will be the same whether Trump wins or loses. I love living here, red or blue, and I have one of the best racetracks in the country at my fingertips, not to mention a great community overall.

If it makes a huge difference in your life then by all means, go for it. Maybe some of the constant complaining and gloom and doom here might dissipate if he gets reelected. That would be a relief to read once in a while. :)

I have a low opinion of Mr. Trump, that's all. I see no reason to lie about that to get "green boxes" here. :)

HHHmmmm MANY PARTS of THAT posts sound eerily similar to ANOTHER poster here....he HAS posted THOSE EXACT thoughts previously and MORE than once....:pound: :lol:

I think his mirror must have broken...yet he busts your chops constantly...

I know it disgusts to him to vote for Trump...but the other side IS EVEN worse...so I see why...

Too bad none of you HAVE THE intestinal fortitude to vote 3rd party...:bang: :eek::(

Tom
08-22-2020, 09:21 AM
Yeah Tuck, I called this person out from nearly day one!!! It was obvious then as it is now... :bang:

Been on IGGY for a looooong time now......social distancing fro the git go! :lol::lol::lol:

Tor Ekman
08-22-2020, 10:18 AM
https://nypost.com/2020/08/22/survivor-in-deadly-nyc-shooting-may-never-walk-again-family/

Horrible story, as bad as NYC was in the 70's it never had this "wild west" randomness feel to it. In the 70's you knew what areas were high risk but most neighborhoods were relatively safe, maybe it had something to do with the locals handling matters their own way from time to time. Now it's become a complete shit show, no neighborhood can be considered safe

Redboard
08-22-2020, 03:13 PM
Here's an opposing view stating that NYC will be better(August 1st, article).

......made our public spaces dense to the breaking point, never mind the damage to neighborhoods — or people’s sanity. So many overlapping parades, street fairs, street races, fireworks shows and cycling events made every weekend a challenge to get anywhere, whether by taxi, bus or foot.

How the coronavirus pandemic has changed NYC for the better (https://nypost.com/2020/08/01/how-the-coronavirus-pandemic-has-changed-nyc-for-the-better/)

clicknow
08-22-2020, 04:57 PM
Too bad none of you HAVE THE intestinal fortitude to vote 3rd party...:bang: :eek::(

You must have missed the part in my post where I noted I was doing a write in. :D

Look, everybody has their thing about what constitutes ethical behavior on their own part, what they feel they need to do based on their beliefs. I can show you my ticket from last year's derby. I told all my friends I would NOT wager on that cheater trainer's horse. It's just the way I am. Well, karma rewarded me, since I had the next 2 horses after he was DQed and it was a great win and exacta win. So yeah I "lucked out".

SUrely you understand that if I just don't *like* somebody, there would be no reason to give them my vote? My vote is valuable to me, just as my money is.

We all get a vote. I see no reason whatsoever to bashing anybody for voting as they wish. It's like the paper bills in your wallet, yours to do what you wish with.

I never bashed anyone for their vote. Never have. I do bash Trump because, just like you guys don't like certain polticians and you bash them, I just do not like him.......at all.

But calling you out, or anyone else, on how YOU spend your vote that BELONGS TO YOU? No, I have not done that. Telling someone how to spend their vote is like telling them how to spend their own money.

What IS appropriate is to tell how you personally, are spending your own vote, and discussing why.

fast4522
08-22-2020, 08:06 PM
HHHmmmm MANY PARTS of THAT posts sound eerily similar to ANOTHER poster here....he HAS posted THOSE EXACT thoughts previously and MORE than once....:pound: :lol:

I think his mirror must have broken...yet he busts your chops constantly...

I know it disgusts to him to vote for Trump...but the other side IS EVEN worse...so I see why...

You see it also, I suspect everyone is thinking the same.

davew
08-22-2020, 11:08 PM
NYC not completely dead yet ... interesting walk around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZSe74gfE7U

Redboard
08-24-2020, 10:26 AM
August 23 article.

Now, there’s plenty to fear. In New York, everyone’s gonna work from home forever! Office districts are near-empty, some residents have fled, tourists are few and the municipal piggy bank is depleted. Broadway’s extinct! Flesh-eating mobs rule the streets! .........But recent weeks have seen signings of huge office leases by Facebook, AIG, TikTok and Raymond James. In the same period, new leases were signed for a massive new Avra restaurant on Sixth Avenue and for several huge food halls. Major new buildings are going up all over Harlem. Every one of these commitments was made during, not prior to, the COVID crisis.

New York City will rise again (https://nypost.com/2020/08/23/new-york-city-will-rise-again/?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nyp_postopinion&utm_content=20200824&tpcc=post_opinion&mpweb=755-9053640-720669482)

PaceAdvantage
08-24-2020, 10:39 AM
August 23 article.

New York City will rise again (https://nypost.com/2020/08/23/new-york-city-will-rise-again/?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nyp_postopinion&utm_content=20200824&tpcc=post_opinion&mpweb=755-9053640-720669482)Hilarious...the guy writing this piece in the Post really has MUCH LESS to back up his opinion vs. Altucher....yet he writes of Altucher:

"You have to question Altucher’s sincerity in bashing the city he claims to love. His life and career have been full of turbulent change — career-hopping, fortunes made and lost, two divorces. Now he can’t take the “uncertainty” of New York?"

myohmyjustify
08-24-2020, 10:55 AM
Steve Cuozzo wants to kill the messenger while ignoring the message.

People are leaving NYC by the week in droves say friends I know who work in Manhattan. You don't need to be worth millions to want to leave. The problem Cuozzo ignores is that rich people are leaving and very poor people are stuck.

Many working class people are also moving to places like Connecticut in record numbers. Retirees in recent years have already fled New York to places like Florida because Gov. Cuomo and NY State tax Social Security, IRA and pension income.

And if you're a poorer or a lone, elderly person living in a retirement home, Cuomo put their lives at risk by forcing the covid diagnosed to live with you.

James Altucher is not the problem by any means.

RunForTheRoses
08-24-2020, 11:29 AM
It is interesting Cuozzo and Seinfeld both use ad hominems to make their argument.

Who knows what will happen. May bloom again, But things do change, archeologists are always unearthing once vibrant cities in Turkey and elsewhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/opinion/jerry-seinfeld-new-york-coronavirus.html

PaceAdvantage
08-24-2020, 11:42 AM
Seinfeld's an idiot.

It's not bouncing back because of the insane FEAR put into EVERYBODY...especially NEW YORKERS.

You're not GETTING BACK those who have left...those whose companies (and there are a TON OUT THERE) who have realized and told their employees that they CAN WORK FROM HOME AS LONG AS THEY WANT.

Imagine the amount of people who WILL take their bosses up on that offer...because they are AFRAID.

More AFRAID than they are seeking that supposed ENERGY Seinfeld muses about...

And they'll get used to it...they'll get way more COMFORTABLE working at home then the opposite:

Getting up two hours earlier to trudge through 15 degree temperatures in the dead of winter, standing on a train platform with the wind blowing 20mph....

Yeah right...they're all coming back...it's gonna be just like it was in a year or two...

Seinfeld and everybody else is dreaming...it's DEAD...and you idiots killed it.

Tor Ekman
08-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Here's the funniest thing about the Seinfeld piece published in the NY Times, at the bottom of the page:

The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor. :lol:

MargieRose
08-24-2020, 01:52 PM
NYC not completely dead yet ... interesting walk around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZSe74gfE7UCaught this comment in response to this video:

"This has happened in Alberta, Canada. The islamists from Saudi Arabia burnt down millions of acres of forests around an oil town two years ago. Canadians left & now they built North America’s biggest mosque."

Woodtoo: Do you know anything about this?

For New York City and other ravaged cities around the country, replace Islamists, etc. with __________? Think about it.

Redboard
08-25-2020, 05:21 PM
A little of-topic but I must say that the NY Post, compared to the NY Times, is more objective and balanced. Every time I pull up a NY Times article I puke. All of the Post's article are free too.

I noticed that you can get a home-delivery post quite cheaply, $5 per week. I haven't had a paper copy of it in my hands for many moons. It's probably very thin.

https://www1.nypost.com/subscription#:~:text=Subscribe%20Today!&text=Only%20%244.99%20per%20week%20when,up%20to%20 100%20DAYS%20FREE!

Does anybody here routinely read the paper copy?

RunForTheRoses
08-25-2020, 07:20 PM
A little of-topic but I must say that the NY Post, compared to the NY Times, is more objective and balanced. Every time I pull up a NY Times article I puke. All of the Post's article are free too.

I noticed that you can get a home-delivery post quite cheaply, $5 per week. I haven't had a paper copy of it in my hands for many moons. It's probably very thin.

https://www1.nypost.com/subscription#:~:text=Subscribe%20Today!&text=Only%20%244.99%20per%20week%20when,up%20to%20 100%20DAYS%20FREE!

Does anybody here routinely read the paper copy?

I check it most everyday on the interwebs.

NYTs is biased and NY Daily News, the tabloid competitor of the Post is totally totally biased.

clicknow
08-30-2020, 02:13 AM
This is a complex topic, and cannot be addressed in a few posts.

NYC used to be a gritty big city, just like other big cities all over the world, and lots of "regular folks" living and working there.

I watched it change over the course of 25-30 years and it was turned over to Sex and the City types, super wealthy and ridiculously high real estate prices and buildings sold to Chinese, Russians, Emirati, Saudi Arabians and Turkish oligarchs, scewed toward gentrification for rich people.

Both the libs and the conservatives have sold it out, to the developers, and that happened a long time ago. When I lived there, people were able to be cashiers, waitresses, fix-it guys, secretaries, receptionists in doctors offices, physical therapy aides, writers, photographers, MTA ticket takers, bartenders, doormen, bus drivers, etc.............normal everyday WORKING CLASS PEOPLE could afford to live there. It was a wonderful city.

I remember when all these people were escapting to Orange County NY, Sullivan county, further up, because they could no longer afford to live anywhere in the boroughs, and had to commute to work on the train for 1.5 hours every day. I know because I was a real estate appraiser for the banks back then. I watched the MASSIVE EXODUS.

This is what happens when you over-gentrify and of course, NOW the wealthy oligarchs are leaving NYC. The guy who wrote the article is not a new yorker, he's a transplant, and a former former hedge fund manager and even his own coworkers called him out:
https://nypost.com/2020/08/22/no-new-york-city-isnt-dead-forever-heres-why/

Of course he's gonna leave, he is not able to stick it out in a real city, because he's a snowflake. As I understand it, he couldn't survive in NYC even before covid, and now he's bitter and wants it to fail. Let him go be a fish in smaller water. New Yorkers are gritty people, they are survivors, at least when the working class lived there.

All these people you read about who are leaving, that's because they are wealthy and have 2nd properties over in tony places on long island, etc. Normal working class people don't have million dollar 2nd homes

I honestly think nobody even cares about "just folks" anymore. Sex and the City types over glamorized life and now people value that crap.

Many including the author of that dumb article are tourists to NYC in the true sense of the word, they haven't lived there their entire lives and really don't "get it."

fast4522
08-30-2020, 02:51 AM
And this know it all who seems to have first hand experience per posts in threads in just about everything. Who here thinks it is nothing more than the perfect storm of Covid-19 while having this guy in charge.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2020, 03:08 AM
This is a complex topic, and cannot be addressed in a few posts.

NYC used to be a gritty big city, just like other big cities all over the world, and lots of "regular folks" living and working there.

I watched it change over the course of 25-30 years and it was turned over to Sex and the City types, super wealthy and ridiculously high real estate prices and buildings sold to Chinese, Russians, Emirati, Saudi Arabians and Turkish oligarchs, scewed toward gentrification for rich people.

Both the libs and the conservatives have sold it out, to the developers, and that happened a long time ago. When I lived there, people were able to be cashiers, waitresses, fix-it guys, secretaries, receptionists in doctors offices, physical therapy aides, writers, photographers, MTA ticket takers, bartenders, doormen, bus drivers, etc.............normal everyday WORKING CLASS PEOPLE could afford to live there. It was a wonderful city.

I remember when all these people were escapting to Orange County NY, Sullivan county, further up, because they could no longer afford to live anywhere in the boroughs, and had to commute to work on the train for 1.5 hours every day. I know because I was a real estate appraiser for the banks back then. I watched the MASSIVE EXODUS.

This is what happens when you over-gentrify and of course, NOW the wealthy oligarchs are leaving NYC. The guy who wrote the article is not a new yorker, he's a transplant, and a former former hedge fund manager and even his own coworkers called him out:
https://nypost.com/2020/08/22/no-new-york-city-isnt-dead-forever-heres-why/

Of course he's gonna leave, he is not able to stick it out in a real city, because he's a snowflake. As I understand it, he couldn't survive in NYC even before covid, and now he's bitter and wants it to fail. Let him go be a fish in smaller water. New Yorkers are gritty people, they are survivors, at least when the working class lived there.

All these people you read about who are leaving, that's because they are wealthy and have 2nd properties over in tony places on long island, etc. Normal working class people don't have million dollar 2nd homes

I honestly think nobody even cares about "just folks" anymore. Sex and the City types over glamorized life and now people value that crap.

Many including the author of that dumb article are tourists to NYC in the true sense of the word, they haven't lived there their entire lives and really don't "get it."LOL

Working class people aren't the ones propping up NYC with their massive tax base...it's the wealthy people who are fleeing...and the businesses that are closing forever...and the commercial office space renters/owners who suddenly realize they don't need to pay all this $$$$ for all this useless office space now that they've learned that all these people can successfully work remotely.

So what's left? Who are all the middle class folks going to work for? All the invisible people and businesses that are no longer there?

And I haven't even touched on the quality of life issues this mayor has let run down the toilet...

You keep dreaming the big dreams...

clicknow
08-30-2020, 03:15 AM
You keep dreaming the big dreams...

And you can continue to believe that the problems in NYC are only since covid and have nothing to do with an over 30 year history.

Just because some kid writes an article in the NYPost that feeds into your believe system.

I've watched it for 30 years. NYC was handed over to developers a long time ago, then bad management didn't help any.

When you have a city that normal everyday people can't live in anymore, and cannot afford to live in, it's a problem.

fast4522
08-30-2020, 02:50 PM
I always find more depth with a decent map, this one pre Covid-19 has some numbers to the left. Once right clicked and saved the mouse wheel to expand if you want.

fast4522
08-30-2020, 03:13 PM
And you can continue to believe that the problems in NYC are only since covid and have nothing to do with an over 30 year history.

Just because some kid writes an article in the NYPost that feeds into your believe system.

I've watched it for 30 years. NYC was handed over to developers a long time ago, then bad management didn't help any.

When you have a city that normal everyday people can't live in anymore, and cannot afford to live in, it's a problem.

People like you and I know nothing compared to those living the life in the Big Apple, just how many experts on NYC are there in Arkansas? NONE.

JustRalph
08-30-2020, 03:18 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/nyregion/nyc-suburbs-housing-demand.html

Real proof

clicknow
08-30-2020, 04:47 PM
People like you and I know nothing compared to those living the life in the Big Apple, just how many experts on NYC are there in Arkansas? NONE.

You're the one using the map.

I lived in nYC for 15 years the first time. 10 years the 2nd time.

I know what it was. And what it turned into.

I can describe every neighborhood.

When bus drivers, beat cops, cashiers, doormen, MTA ticket takers, waitstaff in greek diners, and all the regular "working class people" can no longer afford to live in NYC, there's a problem..

BUt I guess being a republican, you wouldn't be about supporting working class people ---

BTW, when did you live in NYC?

JustRalph
08-30-2020, 06:08 PM
BUt I guess being a republican, you wouldn't be about supporting working class people ---

You mean those people who participated in the highest employment rate in history? Or maybe the blacks and other minorities that participated in the highest employment rate in their history?

How bout the ones who got a tax cut?

yep.........Repubs don't help anybody...........

A rising tide lifts all boats..........always

Greyfox
08-30-2020, 06:55 PM
Caught this comment in response to this video:

"This has happened in Alberta, Canada. The islamists from Saudi Arabia burnt down millions of acres of forests around an oil town two years ago. Canadians left & now they built North America’s biggest mosque."

Woodtoo: Do you know anything about this?

For New York City and other ravaged cities around the country, replace Islamists, etc. with __________? Think about it.

That's fake news.
Fort McMurray went up in flames in 2016.
20% of the homes were lost.
It was not caused by Islamists!
Nor was there ever any suggestion that it was caused by Islamists.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3138183/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-named-canadas-news-story-of-2016/

fast4522
08-30-2020, 07:27 PM
You're the one using the map.

I lived in nYC for 15 years the first time. 10 years the 2nd time.

I know what it was. And what it turned into.

I can describe every neighborhood.

When bus drivers, beat cops, cashiers, doormen, MTA ticket takers, waitstaff in greek diners, and all the regular "working class people" can no longer afford to live in NYC, there's a problem..

BTW, when did you live in NYC?

Liberal policy and much of what you espouse is rotten to the core, it is a magnet for illegal aliens who provide the cheep labor to all those service related jobs that are ugly. Many of those ugly jobs are gone with empty buildings not employing people to clean them. Sure the city is on the hook with these folks who have no place to go. You give broad strokes that hides much, liberalism is not worth defending so why don't you stop. Liberals want to de fund the police, with crime on the uptick, unsafe areas the people who pay the vast majority of taxes naturally de fund the Mayor & a equally stupid Governor.

fast4522
08-30-2020, 07:56 PM
Interesting read

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8679723/Fleet-moving-vehicles-seen-NYCs-troubled-Upper-West-marking-mass-evacuation.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

MargieRose
08-30-2020, 09:39 PM
That's fake news.
Fort McMurray went up in flames in 2016.
20% of the homes were lost.
It was not caused by Islamists!
Nor was there ever any suggestion that it was caused by Islamists.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3138183/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-named-canadas-news-story-of-2016/Thanks for taking the time to clarify this, Greyfox. I appreciate it. Way too many posting-idiots out there.

fast4522
08-31-2020, 12:18 AM
You mean those people who participated in the highest employment rate in history? Or maybe the blacks and other minorities that participated in the highest employment rate in their history?

How bout the ones who got a tax cut?

yep.........Repubs don't help anybody...........

A rising tide lifts all boats..........always

That message about lifting all is lost on Click Now and all of that mindset. It is the cure for NYC and other city's, instead of keeping them shut down open them up. It is the way out, these local politicians are where they are because in business the all are likely to be a resounding failure. So content in watching city's they were elected to bleed out, what is the end game?

PaceAdvantage
09-02-2020, 12:39 AM
No no no no....don't worry...clicknow & Seinfeld says everything is going to be AOK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpdIMJPoSfk

MargieRose
09-02-2020, 01:42 AM
Gutfeld on the New York City exodus and De Blasio's response

https://youtu.be/rwbm8oEf4yc

RunForTheRoses
09-02-2020, 09:19 AM
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/09/update-suspect-arrested-attempted-rape-subway-platform-14-prior-arrests/

On the bright side might get a good song out of it:

https://youtu.be/5IvxpNTNmzs

fast4522
09-06-2020, 10:39 PM
Start Spreading the News: NYC Is Dead Forever… Here’s Why

Aside of everything else, the mother of all storms is due to wipe NYC out.

When is hurricane season due to peak?

RunForTheRoses
09-12-2020, 09:15 PM
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1304561115628580864

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2020, 02:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyTl5avi3eM

fast4522
09-14-2020, 08:28 PM
Not related to this thread but today news is that 23 % of Bostons restaurants are closed forever and that is just the start, the forever statement is really something to pay attention to.

RunForTheRoses
09-14-2020, 08:47 PM

Who's going to pay the taxes? Chirlane Deblasio wants a raise next year, these things don't come cheap.

RunForTheRoses
09-14-2020, 08:48 PM
Who's going to pay the taxes? Chirlane Deblasio wants a raise next year, these things don't come cheap.

I'm sorry, Chirlane McCray, no patriarchism here.

ElKabong
09-14-2020, 09:32 PM

Good listen

But why the F did he settle in Addison? LOL, it's like living in a hospital setting. Better places in DFW to relocate to

JustRalph
09-14-2020, 11:03 PM
Good listen

But why the F did he settle in Addison? LOL, it's like living in a hospital setting. Better places in DFW to relocate to

And the frigging traffic! OMG!

woodtoo
09-16-2020, 11:59 AM
DeBlasio risks 10 year prison sentence by removing the Teddy Roosevelt statue from its perch in front of American Museum of Natural History. Trying to destroy tourism in NYC.

ElKabong
09-16-2020, 02:54 PM
And the frigging traffic! OMG!

15 hours a day it's bumper to bumper, even off LBJ and into Belt Line, Midway etc

No thanks to that

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Oh no! Oh my!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uteyl6sRk-c

tucker6
09-17-2020, 10:53 AM
Oh no! Oh my!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uteyl6sRk-c

Nobody could have anticipated that businesses would shutter after six months of no revenue. :rolleyes:

Good job dems.

Tor Ekman
09-17-2020, 11:10 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/49/54/d5/4954d5c7e088a70697d14c4d03e6593a.jpg

Hizzoner

davew
09-17-2020, 05:56 PM
Nobody could have anticipated that businesses would shutter after six months of no revenue. :rolleyes:

Good job dems.

don't forget those that had damage and reparations by peaceful protestors

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2020, 06:06 PM
don't forget those that had damage and reparations by peaceful protestorsDon't worry, they get all their money back from insurance. :rolleyes:

Tom
09-18-2020, 07:40 PM

Good job dems.

CNN had some idiot on this morning saying that the economy was fully back up and running and there was no lock down and therefore, Trump's economy was in the dumpster.

RunForTheRoses
10-02-2020, 12:35 PM
Peaceful BLM Protestor?

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/10/02/rick-moranis-random-attack-on-upper-west-side/

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Peaceful BLM Protestor?

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/10/02/rick-moranis-random-attack-on-upper-west-side/Poor Rick Moranis...

NYC is awesome though... :rolleyes:

TJDave
10-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Poor Rick Moranis...

Central Park West. Nice neighborhood

JustRalph
10-02-2020, 07:33 PM
I always thought Moranis was funny. This kind of shit is too much....

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2020, 12:09 AM
Rick Moranis was a victim of WWW

TJDave
10-03-2020, 12:27 AM
Rick Moranis was a victim of WWW

World Wide Wrestling?

MONEY
10-03-2020, 01:11 AM
World Wide Wrestling?

No that was John Stossel.

https://youtu.be/zrX9Ca7LSyQ

jimmyb
10-04-2020, 03:18 PM
Influx of new residents flocking to NYC.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Influx of new residents flocking to NYC.

28553More Proud Boys?

davew
10-07-2020, 08:20 AM
DeBlasio and Cuomo targeting Jews with latest specific area lock down.

PaceAdvantage
10-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Yeah baby!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8811547/Surveillance-camera-captures-wild-machete-fight-inside-Bronx-bodega.html

NICE!

JustRalph
10-07-2020, 11:35 AM
Yeah baby!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8811547/Surveillance-camera-captures-wild-machete-fight-inside-Bronx-bodega.html

NICE!

I feel sorry for people who are forced to be defenseless by their government

Btw, “The United Bodegas of America?”

davew
10-10-2020, 04:10 AM
another delay

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8823441/Broadway-shutdown-virus-extended-May-30.html

TJDave
10-10-2020, 04:21 AM
another delay

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8823441/Broadway-shutdown-virus-extended-May-30.html

Honestly, I don’t see how Broadway will survive.

JustRalph
10-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Honestly, I don’t see how Broadway will survive.

I didn’t know how it survived before Covid........

Those tourist packages including Broadway tickets I guess

chrisl
10-10-2020, 08:54 PM
New York is standing by watching how the California exit tax unfolds. They are drooling. It will not be long before this tax comes to New York.

JustRalph
10-12-2020, 09:14 AM
https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/10/11/rioters-still-looting-high-end-soho-shops-weekly-using-threats-racist-accusations/

Nice job...........DeBlasio

"Bands of shoplifters are terrorizing Soho’s high-end boutiques, lifting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of designer merchandise, and in some cases, threatening security guards to keep quiet — or be labeled racist, The Post has learned…

“This is happening every week. Walk around Soho on Wooster Street and Greene Street, Mercer Street. … You have huge bouncers out there trying to deter hit-and-run activity,” the source, a restaurateur, said.

But in some cases, the thieves are given carte blanche to steal.

“If they [store personnel] stop them and say anything in the store before they’ve left the building then it often gets turned into a racial accusation,” the source said. "

"The details of these crimes are daunting but a few patterns seem clear. The criminals, almost entirely younger Black and Hispanic males, realize that the NYPD is overextended and they can’t be everywhere at once. They go into some of the priciest stores with the most expensive merchandise, cause a disturbance, and then grab as much loot as they can carry. If anyone tries to stop them, they begin screaming about racism. It’s gotten to the point where store managers are telling their security people to just let them go rather than be branded on social media as “not supporting Black Lives Matter. ”"

Elkchester Road
10-12-2020, 11:53 PM
https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/10/11/rioters-still-looting-high-end-soho-shops-weekly-using-threats-racist-accusations/

"Bands of shoplifters are terrorizing Soho’s high-end boutiques, lifting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of designer merchandise, and in some cases, threatening security guards to keep quiet — or be labeled racist, The Post has learned…

“This is happening every week. Walk around Soho on Wooster Street and Greene Street, Mercer Street. … You have huge bouncers out there trying to deter hit-and-run activity,” the source, a restaurateur, said.

“If they [store personnel] stop them and say anything in the store before they’ve left the building then it often gets turned into a racial accusation,” the source said. "

"The details of these crimes are daunting but a few patterns seem clear. The criminals, almost entirely younger Black and Hispanic males, realize that the NYPD is overextended and they can’t be everywhere at once. They go into some of the priciest stores with the most expensive merchandise, cause a disturbance, and then grab as much loot as they can carry. If anyone tries to stop them, they begin screaming about racism. It’s gotten to the point where store managers are telling their security people to just let them go rather than be branded on social media as “not supporting Black Lives Matter. ”" I wonder why these Store Owners haven't just shut it down. This situation, if it doesn't actually worsen, will linger a long time before it gets any better. Are these Store Owners that capitalized?

sammy the sage
10-13-2020, 07:45 AM
Rumor on the street....(don't shoot the messenger and might not be true)....is that is NOT a single U-HAUL truck to be rented anywhere left in NY....???

Perhaps some of you living there could make a few calls to find out???....just for shits and giggles...

bpiets
10-13-2020, 08:01 AM
I wonder if the democrats would now sell n y city to the Arabs oil kings if they offered to again buy same like they did in around the 1960s :headbanger::popcorn::coffee:

bpiets
10-13-2020, 08:08 AM

"The details of these crimes are daunting but a few patterns seem clear. The criminals, almost entirely younger Black and Hispanic males, realize that the NYPD is overextended and they can’t be everywhere at once. They go into some of the priciest stores with the most expensive merchandise, cause a disturbance, and then grab as much loot as they can carry. If anyone tries to stop them, they begin screaming about racism. It’s gotten to the point where store managers are telling their security people to just let them go rather than be branded on social media as “not supporting Black Lives Matter. ”"

Use lethal force elements against these looters etc...a few no goods shot would establish a tone that others would read and hear about like folks in the past caught stealing horses and beef etc got hung soon after being caught...sure did stop a lot of crime as did executing murderers etc soon after conviction...but because of foolish laws not to execute and jail terms that are a slap on the hand and worse , wrong doers will be emboldened to do more crime..time to take action...

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Rumor on the street....(don't shoot the messenger and might not be true)....is that is NOT a single U-HAUL truck to be rented anywhere left in NY....???

Perhaps some of you living there could make a few calls to find out???....just for shits and giggles...NYC is foooged...as in seriously fooooooooged.

they thought they could put this whole charade on and get bailed out by the feds and all will work out in the end

they better hope Biden wins (to guarantee BAIL OUT)...AND they get a mayor who actually knows what he/she is doing. if THAT happens MAYBE they will be back in a decade or so...

BUT, probably not. Because still nobody is really talking about how massive the hit in the commercial real estate market will affect the city. That and the major cut in workforce due to permanent working from home.

tucker6
10-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Because still nobody is really talking about how massive the hit in the commercial real estate market will affect the city. That and the major cut in workforce due to permanent working from home.
The hit to real estate tax revenue will be astounding.

Thank God AOC kept Amazon out of NYC