PDA

View Full Version : Password Exposed?

MONEY
07-15-2020, 10:18 AM
Today when I logged in to Paceadvantage I got this message.

"A data breach on a site or app exposed your password Chrome recommends changing your password on www.paceadvantage.com now"

I googled the 1st few words of the message, and the warning seems to be legit.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/new-version-of-chrome-warns-users-if-their-password-was-exposed-in-a-data-breach-121119.html

From the above link,

“When you type your credentials into a website, Chrome will now warn you if your username and password have been compromised in a data breach on some site or app,” the tech giant wrote in a blog post. “It will suggest that you change them everywhere they were used.”

I'm not going to change my password now, because I am away and won't be home for a few days. There is nothing in my profile except my email address anyway.

I am not tech savvy so this is the only post I will make on this subject.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2020, 10:24 AM
Yup...I have gotten that message from Chrome for a password I used early and often in my web years.

It's legit.

Curious....is PA the only place you use that password and is the password something very unique?

Just because you get that message when logging in here, doesn't mean the data breach occurred here. Someone else could be using that as a password somewhere in the world and had their data breached...and since you are using the same password here, you'd get that message.

MONEY
07-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Yup...I have gotten that message from Chrome for a password I used early and often in my web years.

It's legit.

Curious....is PA the only place you use that password and is the password something very unique?
My PA password is a simple password and only used on PA. It has never been changed. All of my other passwords are maze-like and I can't remember any of them.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2020, 11:07 AM
My PA password is a simple password and only used on PA. It has never been changed. All of my other passwords are maze-like and I can't remember any of them.There you go...a simple password.

So just to reiterate (so nobody gets all nervous), just because a password you use here is reported by Chrome to be compromised, it doesn't mean that password was initially compromised HERE...it could have been used by someone else on some other site that was hacked, and that's how it ended up on Google's list of bad passwords.

MargieRose
07-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Just FYI, I just signed in using Chrome, and I did not receive a "password exposed" warning message. My password is pretty simple, too.

jay68802
07-15-2020, 08:13 PM
Just FYI, I just signed in using Chrome, and I did not receive a "password exposed" warning message. My password is pretty simple, too.

Same with me.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2020, 02:03 AM
Give it some time...simple doesn't necessarily mean commonly used.