PDA

View Full Version : How many Iraqis Must die?

hcap
10-29-2004, 07:29 AM
http://www.juancole.com/

US Has Killed 100,000 in Iraq: The Lancet

The Lancet, a respected British medical journal, reports that the US and coalition forces (but mainly the US Air Force) has killed 100,000 Iraqi civilians since the fall of Saddam on April 9, 2003. Previous estimates for civilian deaths since the beginning of the war ranged up to 16,000, with the number of Iraqi troops killed during the war itself put at about 6,000.

The troubling thing about these results is that they suggest that the US may soon catch up with Saddam Hussein in the number of civilians killed. How many deaths to blame on Saddam is controverial. He did after all start both the Iran-Iraq War and the Gulf War. But he also started suing for peace in the Iran-Iraq war after only a couple of years, and it was Khomeini who dragged the war out until 1988. But if we exclude deaths of soldiers, it is often alleged that Saddam killed 300,000 civilians. This allegation seems increasingly suspect. So far only 5000 or so persons have been found in mass graves. But if Roberts and Burnham are right, the US has already killed a third as many Iraqi civilians in 18 months as Saddam killed in 24 years.

sq764
10-29-2004, 10:27 AM
how about all of them

ljb
10-29-2004, 11:51 AM
From sq764
how about all of them
Ethnic cleansing, the heart and soul of the republican party. :mad: :mad: :mad:

sq764
10-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ljb
From sq764
how about all of them
Ethnic cleansing, the heart and soul of the republican party. :mad: :mad: :mad:

sense of humor - the trait missing from the Democratic cult

JustRalph
10-29-2004, 01:35 PM
100k my ass................get real..................and they pop this story the Friday before the election.........sure......I should believe them? Who is the editor? One of Kerry's cousins?

The complicit media will be doing this shit all weekend.

kenwoodallpromos
10-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Book review of a book written by Lancet editor Robert Horton, who wrote the 100,000 article:
For Richard Horton, personal health and public health are not "lifestyle issues" but "profoundly existential and geopolitical concerns." In reflecting on their implications for our culture, he sees medicine as a fractured and rapidly changing discipline under unprecedented social, political, financial, and scientific pressures. But he insists that it should be guided above all by one ideal: the dignity of an individual in the face of illness. His argument for the restoration of dignity is the culmination of a passionate call for doctors to help shape essential debates ranging from matters of health and healing to the most urgent demands of human development and social justice.

lsbets
10-29-2004, 03:08 PM
The article seems to say that most of the deaths are due to airstrikes. Having seen the precision of our air power, I have a very hard time believing that there were that many deaths from air strikes. As with many other issues, this one just doesnt pass the commonsense test.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-29-2004, 06:21 PM
I remember back in the 90s the complaint was the crippling U.S. sanctions against Sadam Husein (a diplomatic solution vs. a military solution) was causing the deaths of 1 million Iraqi children. We were hated very much for the sanctions, and yet all they did was make Sadam and his family rich, and keep him and his cronies in power. And France, among others, were helping him with all those oil sales getting around the sanctions.

PaceAdvantage
10-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
And France, among others, were helping him with all those oil sales getting around the sanctions.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! That kind of nonsense doesn't matter! Only Halliburton matters! Don't you know this?

Tom
10-29-2004, 10:52 PM
How many, Hcap?
Certainly no more by popison gas, no more by chippers, no more bodies found in mass graves.
the question is, oh sick boy, HOW MANY DIED BEFORE????
You really are a revolting, sorry excuse for a human being.

Secretariat
10-29-2004, 11:48 PM
100,000? Seems high to me....I guess they've been liberated to the next world. Does heaven have a democracy? What happened with all those surgical strikes we heard of? Collateral damage I suppose...