PDA

View Full Version : Mike Watchmaker

HPFridays
05-30-2020, 12:54 PM
Anyone know what Mike Watchmaker is up to? It's been about a year since he, along with a few others were laid off by DRF. Just wondering if he's found another job in racing or retired or is doing something else?

Tom
05-30-2020, 03:57 PM
I heard he is working for Bulova, in assembly.

:rolleyes::D

Seriously, looks like his last Tweet was back in July......

https://twitter.com/mike_watchmaker?lang=en

Redboard
05-30-2020, 04:07 PM
I used to like the show that he and Matt Carothers did on Friday mornings on TVG, Blinkers Off. They would go over the big races for the upcoming weekend.

If Mike knew how to use a smart-phone camera, he could record his own show and run it on YouTube. I'd watch.

GaryG
05-30-2020, 04:08 PM
I was also wondering about Matt Bernier. He was with TVG briefly. I guess I am in the minority, but I think he is a sharp handicapper.

HPFridays
05-30-2020, 04:21 PM
I was also wondering about Matt Bernier. He was with TVG briefly. I guess I am in the minority, but I think he is a sharp handicapper.

Good one, Gary, I'd be curious to know what Matt Bernier is up to as well. He seemed like an up and coming name with no frills picks and info on horses. I liked the guy when I some him on the broadcasts.

davew
05-30-2020, 08:48 PM
it looks like Matt has a weekly podcast and on youtube as well as twitter. here is one from a couple days ago …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4S4WSD3Yo

JustRalph
05-30-2020, 08:49 PM
Google Baby!

https://inthemoneypodcast.com/2020/05/27/the-matt-bernier-show-ep-16-may-26-2020/

https://youtu.be/TY4S4WSD3Yo

Marshall Bennett
05-30-2020, 09:57 PM
I used to like the show that he and Matt Carothers did on Friday mornings on TVG, Blinkers Off. They would go over the big races for the upcoming weekend.I loved watching that. Don't think I ever missed a show.

v j stauffer
05-30-2020, 10:31 PM
I used to like the show that he and Matt Carothers did on Friday mornings on TVG, Blinkers Off. They would go over the big races for the upcoming weekend.

If Mike knew how to use a smart-phone camera, he could record his own show and run it on YouTube. I'd watch.

I filled in for Matt a couple times on Blinkers Off. Mike could not have been nicer. It was really fun because since he's a tried and true New Yorker it was impossible to offend him. We'd take the gloves off and really fire back and forth with our opinions. After the show there was never any hard feelings. Loved it. Hope Mike is well and prospering and safe. Safety to all of you on this CRAY CRAY night.

Elkchester Road
05-31-2020, 09:32 PM
I filled in for Matt a couple times on Blinkers Off. Mike could not have been nicer. It was really fun because since he's a tried and true New Yorker it was impossible to offend him. We'd take the gloves off and really fire back and forth with our opinions. After the show there was never any hard feelings. Loved it. Hope Mike is well and prospering and safe. Safety to all of you on this CRAY CRAY night.
Same to you, Vic. :)

DeoVolente
06-01-2020, 10:17 PM
Nobody beats Vic Stauffer when analyzing a race and incorporating sheet mentality. I would go out of my way to listen when he was on.

Speed Figure
06-01-2020, 10:34 PM
I've seen Matt on Horsetourneys a lot!

1GCFAN
06-01-2020, 11:31 PM
Mike Watchmaker wrote once a few years ago that he hoped to retire and bet horses full time. I wasn't a fan of his selections but mine are pretty bad as well!

lamboguy
06-02-2020, 09:05 AM
I filled in for Matt a couple times on Blinkers Off. Mike could not have been nicer. It was really fun because since he's a tried and true New Yorker it was impossible to offend him. We'd take the gloves off and really fire back and forth with our opinions. After the show there was never any hard feelings. Loved it. Hope Mike is well and prospering and safe. Safety to all of you on this CRAY CRAY night.he's not from New York, he's from Boston.

metro
06-02-2020, 09:17 AM
When Bernier was on TVG he flew to the west coast for the weekend gigs, obviously with so few tracks running the last couple of months there hasn't been a need for as many analysts. With most all of the major tracks resuming their racing hopefully it will open up opportunities for him.

v j stauffer
06-02-2020, 10:09 AM
he's not from New York, he's from Boston.

he might have been nice to you and the blinkers off show, but he was no prize package with his father.

Having the characteristics of a New Yorker is a state of mind not a state of the union.

v j stauffer
06-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Nobody beats Vic Stauffer when analyzing a race and incorporating sheet mentality. I would go out of my way to listen when he was on.

Thanks DEO I've studied long and hard to be able to "sound" like I know what I'm talking about.

Interesting you mentioned my analyzing races using sheet mentality.

I've recently been contacted by Jeff Franklin and Jerry Brown of Thoro-Graph about doing some Zoomcasts on that very subject.

They will start in a couple weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the kind words.

Elkchester Road
06-02-2020, 10:45 PM
Thanks DEO I've studied long and hard to be able to "sound" like I know what I'm talking about.

Interesting you mentioned my analyzing races using sheet mentality.

I've recently been contacted by Jeff Franklin and Jerry Brown of Thoro-Graph about doing some Zoomcasts on that very subject.

They will start in a couple weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the kind words.More of Vic Stauffer in any arena = benefit for racing and it's fans. :ThmbUp:

pandy
06-03-2020, 10:08 AM

I like Vic's analysis, too. Very sharp.

king kong
06-03-2020, 10:40 AM
Mike is from Brookline,Ma,

classhandicapper
06-03-2020, 11:04 AM
Personally, I miss Mike's analysis and post race comments in the same way I miss the show Kenny Peck used to do with Brad Thomas a few years back. There's still a lot of fine handicapping talent at DRF like Illman, Beer, CJ/Aragona via Timeform and others, but the more the merrier. Certain people have handicapping styles that match what you are interested in.

cj
06-04-2020, 04:08 PM

Looks like he's become a tout.

https://twitter.com/bernier_matt/status/1268633619129663495

Suff
06-06-2020, 03:01 AM

Robert the Bruce:
I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and children. Those men who bled the ground red at Suffolk Downs fought for Horse Racing. They fought for something. And It was taken from them when Suffolk Downs closed. Horse racing betrayed him. I saw it in his face on the battlefield and it's tearing me apart.

king kong
06-06-2020, 10:28 AM
I gambled with Mikes father while he was in his playpen reading yesterdays Tele! He was a good student.:D

lamboguy
06-06-2020, 10:46 AM

Dexter Park, i used to give his farther a ride home everyday after the track, he was legally blind.

king kong
06-06-2020, 02:00 PM
We car pooled in the 60s70s Brewster terr.just steps from Jack&Marions&Winchester st. A living legend doing double headers in his heyday!:D