PDA

View Full Version : The Rock Star of Handicapping

thetripleclowns
05-27-2020, 11:30 AM
The Rock Star of Handicapping, Jonathon Kinchen, joins the Triple Clowns just in time for a big racing weekend. And AJ finally gets confront him for his sudden but inevitable betrayal at the G2 Pan American this year.

What handicappers do you follow and what is your betting angle?

https://youtu.be/4AHApMGYi80

clicknow
05-27-2020, 01:57 PM
There are rock stars among horse racing handicappers?

I did not know this.

Thanks. (I guess?)

dilanesp
05-27-2020, 02:06 PM
There are rock stars among horse racing handicappers?

I did not know this.

Thanks. (I guess?)

Wait until I tell you about the groupies.

classhandicapper
05-28-2020, 08:37 AM
I like Jonathon as an analyst on the TV shows. You can tell by his comments that he's done a lot of informed work on the replays, biases, and paces of prior races looking for potential value. His notes are often pretty consistent with my own.

jay68802
05-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Wait until I tell you about the groupies.

Do they look like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUuoxyt_E

Suff
05-28-2020, 02:31 PM
Tried very hard to get that Suffolk shade in when Kichen mentioned Fonner Park. Kitchen, getting good, pivoted out to the manor downs story. He mentioned “all the ny guys tell me stories about it”... that was the signal.

Racetracks weren't ovals where horses ran in circles. It was the people who attended. Aqueduct imho #1. Suffolk in there , top 25 somewhere.

You’re going to tell a story how attending Suffolk Downs was similar to attending Fonner Park? I heard kichen say “ I heard a lot of good stories about it”.

Kichen would of done ok at Suffolk I think. As far as fitting in.

Because he went to Fonner 40 times, I’ll “open the books” and grant him an honorary suffolk status.

Afleet
05-28-2020, 11:02 PM
I like Jonathon as an analyst on the TV shows. You can tell by his comments that he's done a lot of informed work on the replays, biases, and paces of prior races looking for potential value. His notes are often pretty consistent with my own.

I agree; seems like a good guy. Would be fun to play the races with him sometime

horseplayer
05-29-2020, 02:39 AM
Tried very hard to get that Suffolk shade in when Kichen mentioned Fonner Park. Kitchen, getting good, pivoted out to the manor downs story. He mentioned “all the ny guys tell me stories about it”... that was the signal.

Racetracks weren't ovals where horses ran in circles. It was the people who attended. Aqueduct imho #1. Suffolk in there , top 25 somewhere.

You’re going to tell a story how attending Suffolk Downs was similar to attending Fonner Park? I heard kichen say “ I heard a lot of good stories about it”.

Kichen would of done ok at Suffolk I think. As far as fitting in.

Because he went to Fonner 40 times, I’ll “open the books” and grant him an honorary suffolk status.

YRS - when NY OTB first opened and the only flats were NRA circuit a guy at work put me on to a bookie - anyway the Bookie pulls out an Armstrong scratch sheet and says "you can bet any track on this sheet except
Suffolk there is too much stuff going on up there".

westernmassbob
05-29-2020, 06:29 AM
YRS - when NY OTB first opened and the only flats were NRA circuit a guy at work put me on to a bookie - anyway the Bookie pulls out an Armstrong scratch sheet and says "you can bet any track on this sheet except

Well I can remember several stories my uncle told me that would confirm the “ stuff going on up there “. Of course this would have been the late 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. He had several friends who trained and owned race horses based out of Suffolk area. Most of the race manipulation carried over from Suffolk Downs into the fair circuit in those days.

Suff
05-29-2020, 11:35 PM

Lotteries are common now, but before States got in the numbers game it was illegal and managed by organized crime. In the Boston rackets, the winning street numbers came from the pools at Suffolk & Rock.

That is how the Italians controlled it. They selected the races and horse.

This is show pool at the Rock. The last digits of the show pool for posts 1, 2 & 3 made the daily number on the street. In this case the daily number was 529.

https://i.ibb.co/F3SmDJF/3-A25-D9-E7-20-E1-4-E7-E-9-EBA-88-A88-CE2-BECE.png (https://ibb.co/nmH6LfF)

Suff
05-29-2020, 11:47 PM
Well I can remember several stories my uncle told me that would confirm the “ stuff going on up there “. Of course this would have been the late 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. He had several friends who trained and owned race horses based out of Suffolk area. Most of the race manipulation carried over from Suffolk Downs into the fair circuit in those days.

Suffolk was an Urban racetrack. In my experience, owners, trainers , jockeys got caught up in Vice. Booze, drugs, women, gambling, guns, loansharks, etc.

When they got into a hole, they’d dig their way out by manipulating race results.

owlshead
05-30-2020, 09:51 AM
Suffolk was an Urban racetrack. In my experience, owners, trainers , jockeys got caught up in Vice. Booze, drugs, women, gambling, guns, loansharks, etc.

When they got into a hole, they’d dig their way out by manipulating race results.

Hemingway should have written a novel... well the booze, women, gambling and guns part... maybe the loan-sharks? though, benzedrine was probably a thing when he wrote?

Tom
05-30-2020, 04:09 PM
I have a book written about Suffolk Downs.
Can't think of the author - I'll look it up and post t - good read. :ThmbUp:

I used to drive past SD all the time when I went to Salem on business in the 70's and 80s, but never got the chance to stop in......always regretted it. Used to play it a lot when I first got DISH and TVG.

BarchCapper
06-07-2020, 03:22 PM
I have a book written about Suffolk Downs.
Can't think of the author - I'll look it up and post t - good read. :ThmbUp:

I used to drive past SD all the time when I went to Salem on business in the 70's and 80s, but never got the chance to stop in......always regretted it. Used to play it a lot when I first got DISH and TVG.

Are you thinking of Bill Veeck's "Thirty Tons a Day" about the season the famed baseball owner spent as GM of Suffolk Downs?

Robert Fischer
06-07-2020, 08:55 PM
This was a good episode. I like watching the Youtube videos you put out.

Kinchen is a great personality, and a legitimately strong player.

Great work by the Triple Clowns to land this rising star.

Suff
06-07-2020, 09:05 PM
Are you thinking of Bill Veeck's "Thirty Tons a Day" about the season the famed baseball owner spent as GM of Suffolk Downs?

I have a vague memory of Chariot Races at Suffolk Downs when Veeck managed it.

He also raced Ostriches at Suffolk Downs.. That I don't recall but its true because I saw photographs

He also was the force behind a law change that to allowed children to attend racetracks. . 1st in the nation I believe. Mid 1960's.

cj
06-07-2020, 11:10 PM
I have a vague memory of Chariot Races at Suffolk Downs when Veeck managed it.

He also raced Ostriches at Suffolk Downs.. That I don't recall but its true because I saw photographs

He also was the force behind a law change that to allowed children to attend racetracks. . 1st in the nation I believe. Mid 1960's.

I have no idea what made me think of this, but when I list the tracks I've been to I always forget to add Foxboro. I went once back in the mid 80s. Surely you very there a time or a 100, right?

Suff
06-08-2020, 03:28 AM
I have no idea what made me think of this, but when I list the tracks I've been to I always forget to add Foxboro. I went once back in the mid 80s. Surely you very there a time or a 100, right?

Sure, yes, but do you know what now stands where it was?

The New England Patriots Hall of Fame.
2 Patriot Pl, Foxborough, MA 02035

Tom
06-08-2020, 10:37 AM

It was written by D B Thornton.....Not By a Longshot (I believe)
Good relaxing read about life on the backstretch. Great for sitting by the lake with breakfast)

thetripleclowns
06-11-2020, 12:01 PM
This was a good episode. I like watching the Youtube videos you put out.

Kinchen is a great personality, and a legitimately strong player.

Great work by the Triple Clowns to land this rising star.

Thank you for your support!

MJC922
06-12-2020, 03:14 PM
Good interview with JK, never really listened to him at length before but took the opportunity this week. I like no BS kind of people which is in short supply these days, he strikes me as being totally that way.

thetripleclowns
06-12-2020, 08:03 PM
Good interview with JK, never really listened to him at length before but took the opportunity this week. I like no BS kind of people which is in short supply these days, he strikes me as being totally that way.

Thanks for checking out the episode! He was great and yes no BS just straightforward. Which is what we want to hear!

Ray Donovon
12-29-2020, 12:06 PM
It was written by D B Thornton.....Not By a Longshot (I believe)
Good relaxing read about life on the backstretch. Great for sitting by the lake with breakfast)

TD Thornton. His dad was a trainer, Paul. Touchdown Stable. He took over as a Track announcer after Larry Collmus left. Collmus had replaced the mighty Jim Hannon. Hannon, who was outstanding, passed away earlier this year.