PDA

View Full Version : Stud Fee

karlskorner
03-19-2002, 07:20 PM
I don't know how many on this board follow Stud Fees and sales prices as published by BRIS. The 8th race at GP tomorrow has 2 horses ( #2 Every Cloud and #4 Sylellistick ) who both came about for a stud fee of $500,000.00 to Storm Cat. The owner/breeder of #2 has kept the horse, but the breeder of #4 had sold his horse at the Keeneland Sales Sept. 2000 to Team Valor for $225.000.00. Now did Team Valor get a bargain and the owner/breeder loose $275,000.00, or was the owner/ breeder willing to loose 1/4 million because he knows something ?

Sometimes an owner/breeder will loose a couple thousand at an auction, but I can't remember an amount this large, usually the profit is handsome. I can't fault Team Valor for their puchases in the past, but this one would make me wonder.

And so it goes

Karl

ranchwest
03-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Karl,

It seems especially interesting that #4 is the 2/1 morning line choice.

BillW
03-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Karl, or anyone,

Do we get full disclosure on these sales? For instance was the horse and 1/2 stud interest sold with the other half retained by original owner? Or maybe some other similar deal that would potentially negate that apparent loss?

Bill

karlskorner
03-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Ranchwest;

I believe Chuck Streva (M/L oddsmaker) was influnced by the breeding, Mott/Prado and 2 bullet w/o's. All good reasons why he probably will go off 4/5. He hasn't run for 117 days.

BillW:

To the best of my knowledge if the breeder were in partnership with Team Valor, it would have to be listed as so, he may have a private agreement as to future stud, but I am more inclined to believe he took the 275K loss. There is so much going on "out there" that we will never know.

And so it goes

Karl