PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Track Announcer botched call

mikesal57
05-23-2020, 02:19 PM
Listen to todays 4th race.....

He so confident in his calls that he calls the winner in the middle of the stretch...
Then the horse gets beat...

And YES I had the horse that HE called the winner ..#8

Magician
05-23-2020, 02:27 PM
agreed.

thaskalos
05-23-2020, 02:30 PM

He so confident in his calls that he calls the winner in the middle of the stretch...

Relax. It's quite possible that the :8: would have lost the race even if the announcer didn't jinx it.

Tom
05-23-2020, 02:36 PM
He is in my top 3 favorite announcers! :headbanger:

mikesal57
05-23-2020, 02:39 PM
agreed.

:ThmbUp:

Relax. It's quite possible that the :8: would have lost the race even if the announcer didn't jinx it.

No way...jock heard it and eased up near wire....:lol:

we hear this guy all year long ...hard not to be use to him...

castaway01
05-23-2020, 02:52 PM
Grunder miscalls runners or the finish.

In other news, sky blue, water wet.

Hambletonian
05-23-2020, 04:35 PM
Grunder is an amateur compared to Harry Cheadle. You want some comic relief google this guy, a South African who does English language race calls for Swedish racing.

affirmedny
05-23-2020, 05:28 PM
Grunder is an amateur compared to Harry Cheadle. You want some comic relief google this guy, a South African who does English language race calls for Swedish racing.

Who is the woman who also does the Swedish calls in english? She's much better than him. I love when she calls the drivers "stupid".

jameegray1
05-23-2020, 08:07 PM

"...PICKING OFF HORSES ONE-BY-ONE..."

Elkchester Road
05-23-2020, 08:24 PM

How does this guy keep that job?

One of my favorites for this guy..."in front, and strictly the one to beat!!!"

wisconsin
05-23-2020, 08:29 PM
:ThmbUp:

No way...jock heard it and eased up near wire....:lol:

we hear this guy all year long ...hard not to be use to him...

Ok, for beginners, it's "an" idiot, not "a" and it's "used".

Nothing he did cost you the win, your horse was not good enough.

Carry on.

mikesal57
05-23-2020, 09:38 PM

Carry on.

You are an idiot...

Better?

:lol::lol:

Most of us had English like 40-50 years ago

Please keep your sarcastic remarks in the other threads you frequent..thank you

usfgeology
05-23-2020, 11:24 PM
"...PICKING OFF HORSES ONE-BY-ONE..."

“Sets him down for the drive!”

-Grunder

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2020, 11:28 PM
You are an idiot...

Better?

:lol::lol:

Most of us had English like 40-50 years ago

Please keep your sarcastic remarks in the other threads you frequent..thank youSo you call someone an idiot (Grunder), while writing like an idiot, and you get offended when called out.

Hilarious! :pound:

cj
05-23-2020, 11:54 PM
Grunder is not very good at announcing. He gets a lot of things wrong in a job where accuracy should matter most. But the people that run Tampa don't care so at this point it is just old news.

JustRalph
05-23-2020, 11:59 PM
Grunder is not very good at announcing. He gets a lot of things wrong in a job where accuracy should matter most. But the people that run Tampa don't care so at this point it is just old news.

I always figured he’s married to the owners kid or something

SG4
05-24-2020, 07:12 AM
There should just be a sticky thread called Grunder's Gold or something like that for all the mistakes/bad calls/bad pronunciation that come from the Tampa races.

My top choice this meet was when he called a race as off to a perfect start, while the favorite remained in the starting gate.

mikesal57
05-24-2020, 08:03 AM
So you call someone an idiot (Grunder), while writing like an idiot, and you get offended when called out.

Hilarious! :pound:

lets compare how many read my posts...to.....how many hears his calls...

:p

mikesal57
05-24-2020, 08:05 AM

This was the first time it impact my horse....:lol::lol::lol:

Tom
05-24-2020, 10:21 AM

So neither grammar NOR handicapping are your forte, huh? :lol::lol:

;)

mikesal57
05-24-2020, 10:27 AM
So neither grammar NOR handicapping are your forte, huh? :lol::lol:

;)

Your on a roll Tom...

This is the 2nd post of your 100,584 that I dont care for..

:D

castaway01
05-24-2020, 11:13 AM
There should just be a sticky thread called Grunder's Gold or something like that for all the mistakes/bad calls/bad pronunciation that come from the Tampa races.

My top choice this meet was when he called a race as off to a perfect start, while the favorite remained in the starting gate.

You'd have to add a race or two a day.

I mainly just laugh at Grunder. He does have an attention-grabbing voice and wacky catchphrases. I know all announcers have catchphrases and that's actually a plus if they're good ones rather than having to be forced into every race. But why he chose "attacks along the inner rail" (other than Broad Brush in the PA Derby, what horse ever made its move on the outer rail?) or that any horse in the stretch more than three paths off said rail is "absolutely flying in the center of the track", that I can't answer.

I figure he has pictures of someone in a compromising position, or he once saved the track owner's daughter when she was tied to railroad tracks by Snidely Whiplash.

cj
05-24-2020, 11:17 AM
Your on a roll Tom...

Can't pass this up given the flow of the thread. It is "You're."

cj
05-24-2020, 11:21 AM
You'd have to add a race or two a day.

I mainly just laugh at Grunder. He does have an attention-grabbing voice and wacky catchphrases. I know all announcers have catchphrases and that's actually a plus if they're good ones rather than having to be forced into every race. But why he chose "attacks along the inner rail" (other than Broad Brush in the PA Derby, what horse ever made its move on the outer rail?) or that any horse in the stretch more than three paths off said rail is "absolutely flying in the center of the track", that I can't answer.

I figure he has pictures of someone in a compromising position, or he once saved the track owner's daughter when she was tied to railroad tracks by Snidely Whiplash.

I think my personal favorite, because I hate it so much, is when he identifies a horse as a Minnesota bred or an Illinios bred for races taking place in Florida.

He uses the same ones over and over and over even if they don't fit what is actually happening. Here is short list, could probably add 20 more if I cared enough to think about it:

away in perfect order
the last horse away
far, far back in the early going
strikes to the front
it's his race to win or lose
perfectly handled on the front end

v j stauffer
05-24-2020, 11:49 AM

Impact your horse? Just exactly how did it impact your horse? And BTW it's "impacted" not impact. Just like when PA pointed out "an idiot" rather than "a idiot"

You're ripping someone for mistakes with a myriad of your own.

Not a good look.

cj
05-24-2020, 12:02 PM
Impact your horse? Just exactly how did it impact your horse? And BTW it's "impacted" not impact. Just like when PA pointed out "an idiot" rather than "a idiot"

You're ripping someone for mistakes with a myriad of your own.

Not a good look.

Pretty sure the impacting his horse part is a joke.

I don't get this kind of thinking. One guy is getting paid as a professional to call horse races. The other guy is not getting paid to make posts on Pace Advantage. Getting criticized is part of the job when in the public eye. You certainly know this as you get your fair share of flack, probably way more than your fair share.

It reminds me of the "you've never ridden a horse" type of responses to criticizing a bad ride. I don't have to know how to ride a horse to know a bad ride when I see one. I don't have to know how to call a horse race to know one that isn't good. I don't need to know how to read defenses to know when Tom Brady throws a bad interception. And I certainly don't have to use perfect grammar to give my opinion on any of the above.

I get a fraction of the criticism a track announcer does in my position. I get criticized for picks I make on podcasts, opinions I express, and speed figures I make that people use to bet. I don't take it personally. Some of it is warranted, some is not. I use the warranted criticism to get better, the rest I laugh off. Richard Grunder should try it. He's been a poor announcer for a long time.

wisconsin
05-24-2020, 12:22 PM
I think my personal favorite, because I hate it so much, is when he identifies a horse as a Minnesota bred or an Illinios bred for races taking place in Florida.

He uses the same ones over and over and over even if they don't fit what is actually happening. Here is short list, could probably add 20 more if I cared enough to think about it:

away in perfect order
the last horse away
far, far back in the early going
strikes to the front
it's his race to win or lose
perfectly handled on the front end

"And the entire complexion of the race changes..."

"Another well prepared first-time starter from the barn of..."

dilanesp
05-24-2020, 12:27 PM

Carry on.

FWIW Dickens used the phrase "a idiot". So it has a long literary pedigree.

dilanesp
05-24-2020, 12:30 PM
I always figured he’s married to the owners kid or something

I don't know if that can get you an announcing job, but the St Louis Cardinals allegedly fired announcer Harry Caray for sleeping with the owner's daughter in law.

Racetrack Playa
05-24-2020, 12:34 PM
Grunder is racing, I got em #1. along the other #1's
no such thing as the BEST,

he called it too early , big oof ,it's tampa :), he got it right on the wire,
ABSOLUTELY FLYING:jump:

roll that beautifull bean footage-
https://youtu.be/W9eWPtEy154?t=85

:cool:he didn't F#up the payouts did he?

the OP:rolleyes:cheese and rice..stop ,hammer time:bang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEzKI4h9Oc

#peterberry4saratoga_
#1stSatMay2021_4yo_derby
#takeout<10
#no_drugs

dilanesp
05-24-2020, 12:55 PM
The horse fooled him. It looked like the :8: kicked away making the winning move inside the 1/8th. But then he slowed up.

v j stauffer
05-24-2020, 12:58 PM
Pretty sure the impacting his horse part is a joke.

I don't get this kind of thinking. One guy is getting paid as a professional to call horse races. The other guy is not getting paid to make posts on Pace Advantage. Getting criticized is part of the job when in the public eye. You certainly know this as you get your fair share of flack, probably way more than your fair share.

It reminds me of the "you've never ridden a horse" type of responses to criticizing a bad ride. I don't have to know how to ride a horse to know a bad ride when I see one. I don't have to know how to call a horse race to know one that isn't good. I don't need to know how to read defenses to know when Tom Brady throws a bad interception. And I certainly don't have to use perfect grammar to give my opinion on any of the above.

I get a fraction of the criticism a track announcer does in my position. I get criticized for picks I make on podcasts, opinions I express, and speed figures I make that people use to bet. I don't take it personally. Some of it is warranted, some is not. I use the warranted criticism to get better, the rest I laugh off. Richard Grunder should try it. He's been a poor announcer for a long time.

I don't take things personally either. However, it does hurt when a guy I know and like is constantly ripped. I completely agree with you about criticism of others. I don't play baseball. But I know enough about the game to see if a player has an awful game.

As for the grammar. It's just my childish way of trying to hurl stones back.

The only reason I continue to be a part of social media is because it avails me to show my childish side.

Nobody's taking that away from me!!

v j stauffer
05-24-2020, 12:59 PM
FWIW Dickens used the phrase "a idiot". So it has a long literary pedigree.

Dickens? Who does he ride for?

Peter Berry
05-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Tampa Bay Downs without Richard Grunder would be like Vegemite without toast, but when the time comes for him to retire, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of well-credentialled race callers lining up for the job.

dnlgfnk
05-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Actually no, C.J.

"Your" indicates possession.

cj
05-24-2020, 01:50 PM
Actually no, C.J.

Really don't want to get into a grammar thread, but I think he meant "You are on a roll Tom," which is contracted to "You're on a roll Tom." I don't see any way that "your" would work in that spot.

PhantomOnTour
05-24-2020, 01:50 PM
Actually no, C.J.

This thread keeps getting better and better :)

cj
05-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Tampa Bay Downs without Richard Grunder would be like Vegemite without toast, but when the time comes for him to retire, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of well-credentialled race callers lining up for the job.

Seems Tampa management prefers poor-credentialed announcers so you won't qualify. :)

Racetrack Playa
05-24-2020, 01:59 PM
This thread keeps getting better and better :)
Still it's a real good bet, the best is yet to come

dnlgfnk
05-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Really don't want to get into a grammar thread, but I think he meant "You are on a roll Tom," which is contracted to "You're on a roll Tom." I don't see any way that "your" would work in that spot.

I took it as "your" number of posts.

But mostly I was bored waiting for the walkover in Gulfstream's third to be done.

Muddy
05-24-2020, 02:14 PM
:popcorn:

JustRalph
05-24-2020, 02:52 PM
I don't know if that can get you an announcing job, but the St Louis Cardinals allegedly fired announcer Harry Caray for sleeping with the owner's daughter in law.

"Holy Cow!!"

alhattab
05-24-2020, 03:02 PM
"And the entire complexion of the race changes..."

"Another well prepared first-time starter from the barn of..."

"They leave the 7 furlong chute and hook up with the main track"

I don't call races. I tried a few times from the Monmouth Park grandstand when I was a kid, and called the Intellivision horse races (4 horses) then, too. That is the extent of my racecalling experience. From a layperson's perspective the Tampa announcer's booth would seem to be a difficult vantage point from which to call races. That is probably the smallest grandstand I've seen at a T-bred track other than maybe River Downs.

mikesal57
05-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Love this guys....

best tread I ever wote...

CheckMark
05-24-2020, 04:03 PM

:pound:

dilanesp
05-24-2020, 04:06 PM
There are certain announcers I admit I am not a fan of, and Grunder's one of them.

But at the same time, Peter's right. He's had the job there for more than 30 years. At some point, these folks do become institutions.

And it's not the biggest deal in the world. People bet electronically now. You don't need to worry about people tearing up or throwing away their tickets. You can see the saddle cloth colors on the television feed.

Let's let Richard Grunder be. It's really not that big of a deal.

And as I said, in this particular race everyone's talking about, it wasn't even that bad a mistake. The :8: really did look like he had the race won.

NorCalGreg
05-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Funny, Mike :D

I still think "Let Cap" in the thread title is still your finest work :lol:

cj
05-24-2020, 04:09 PM
There are certain announcers I admit I am not a fan of, and Grunder's one of them.

But at the same time, Peter's right. He's had the job there for more than 30 years. At some point, these folks do become institutions.

And it's not the biggest deal in the world. People bet electronically now. You don't need to worry about people tearing up or throwing away their tickets. You can see the saddle cloth colors on the television feed.

And as I said, in this particular race everyone's talking about, it wasn't even that bad a mistake. The :8: really did look like he had the race won.

I would argue now the announcer is more important than ever exactly because most people (all people currently) are betting online. At the track you rarely can even hear the announcer but you can see what is going on for yourself. Watching online or on TV, you are at the mercy of the camera man and at times the announcer can help. You don't get any of that at Tampa, just tired, cliched calls.

As for the race in question, you are crazy. Maybe the horse looked like it would probably win, but over? Hardly. The horse lost by a full length LOL.

mikesal57
05-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Funny, Mike :D

I still think "Let Cap" in the thread title is still your finest work :lol:

Get it right..

"Lets Cap"......

CheckMark
05-24-2020, 04:23 PM
This thread has almost as many pages as my Oaklawn park thread where I rambled on asking about tipsheets for Oaklawn that got me nowhere :lol:
just like this thread (sorry mikesal)

but that thread was the old me ;)

mikesal57
05-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Thou it was in my early days with me following pop around...

This was the man that that hooked me when I went to OTB...

"Cappy"

It is now post time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHGoT_H0cIg

NorCalGreg
05-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Get it right..

"Lets Cap"......

You still don't have it right--but never mind.

mikesal57
05-24-2020, 04:41 PM
You still don't have it right--but never mind.

O crap...I see it...hahahaha

v j stauffer
05-24-2020, 04:47 PM

Extremely sharp post.

v j stauffer
05-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Love this guys....

best tread I ever wote...

"tread" ? You're pulling our leg and doing it on purpose. Right?

jimmyb
05-24-2020, 05:03 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Richard Grunder. Down to earth and very generous with his time. Yes, I've heard him butcher a few calls, but TBD wouldn't be the same without him. Very well thought of by many of the locals both as a person and announcer.

cj
05-24-2020, 05:08 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Richard Grunder. Down to earth and very generous with his time. Yes, I've heard him butcher a few calls, but TBD wouldn't be the same without him. Very well thought of by many of the locals both as a person and announcer.

I have no reason to think he isn't a great person, have heard that from many. Lots of nice people aren't good at their jobs. Other announcers probably love him, lowers the bar. :)

Clocker
05-24-2020, 05:22 PM
Don't tread on us!

v j stauffer
05-24-2020, 05:29 PM
I have no reason to think he isn't a great person, have heard that from many. Lots of nice people aren't good at their jobs. Other announcers probably love him, lowers the bar. :)

There are actually several announcers out there who are happy when another makes a big mistake.

You know who you are. Wish I could name names.

I've always thought was the one of the worst things ever.

mikesal57
05-24-2020, 05:32 PM

ROLMAO

cj
05-24-2020, 06:09 PM
There are actually several announcers out there who are happy when another makes a big mistake.

You know who you are. Wish I could name names.

I've always thought was the one of the worst things ever.

I would definitely be on your side of the thinking there.

parlay
05-24-2020, 07:51 PM

i knew the horse was done turning for home, and so should he have. Regardless, he is entitled at this point to finish his career as he wishes. He will never improve his game. I guess at 63 i have "ruchmoness"(check your Yiddish dictionary) for him.

castaway01
05-25-2020, 10:21 AM
Extremely sharp post.

While I guess you're defending Grunder because he's been around forever and is part of the "brotherhood" of announcers, it's really bizarre that you of all people think the person who always argues the announcer is irrelevant and meaningless is making a "sharp post".

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 12:09 PM
While I guess you're defending Grunder because he's been around forever and is part of the "brotherhood" of announcers, it's really bizarre that you of all people think the person who always argues the announcer is irrelevant and meaningless is making a "sharp post".

It's because I don't care if someone thinks the announcer is irrelevant and meaningless. Nothing I can do about that. And of course I disagree.

Think back to the Breeders' Cup races we all love. Were Tom Durkin's calls irrelevant and meaningless?

Our memories wouldn't be even close to as vibrant and vivid without his calls.

I said sharp post because yes he did defend Richard and I am so sick of people writing hateful things about someone I know and like.

Any port in a storm I suppose.

cj
05-25-2020, 12:14 PM
It's because I don't care if someone thinks the announcer is irrelevant and meaningless. Nothing I can do about that. And of course I disagree.

Think back to the Breeders' Cup races we all love. Were Tom Durkin's calls irrelevant and meaningless?

Our memories wouldn't be even close to as vibrant and vivid without his calls.

I said sharp post because yes he did defend Richard and I am so sick of people writing hateful things about someone I know and like.

Any port in a storm I suppose.

Saying someone is not good at his job is not something I'd consider as hateful. Calling him an idiot, yes, that is not fair at all. In fact I'm going to change that title and should have done so already.

mikesal57
05-25-2020, 12:30 PM
Saying someone is not good at his job is not something I'd consider as hateful. Calling him an idiot, yes, that is not fair at all. In fact I'm going to change that title and should have done so already.

dam....my English is getting hits from all ends....

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 12:51 PM
dam....my English is getting hits from all ends....

Even how you spell damn. The other is a large body of water.

C'mon. Come clean. It's a trick and I'm the one most falling for the bait?

You got me again. Yes?

mikesal57
05-25-2020, 01:01 PM
Even how you spell damn. The other is a large body of water.

C'mon. Come clean. It's a trick and I'm the one most falling for the bait?

You got me again. Yes?

again...ROLMAO

Peter Berry
05-25-2020, 04:08 PM
Grunder’s loyalty has earned him the keys to Tampa Bay Downs. He’s still a young man relative to the calling profession and should be good for 10 more years. That said, it’s very hard to fathom that the two best thoroughbred callers in the country - Collmus and Wrona - are effectively sojourned.

PhantomOnTour
05-25-2020, 04:21 PM
I'm no fan of Grunder and admittedly I've criticized him in the past, but calling him AN idiot is over the line.
This kind of reminds me of Terry Wallace in his last few years calling at Oaklawn.
Man came under tremendous criticism here as his skills diminished.
Even Durkin suffered a decline in his sharpness.

I'm a big fan of Dave Rodman in Maryland. Wish he would get a shot on a major circuit like NY, Ky or Cali

thaskalos
05-25-2020, 04:23 PM
Grunder’s loyalty has earned him the keys to Tampa Bay Downs. He’s still a young man relative to the calling profession and should be good for 10 more years. That said, it’s very hard to fathom that the two best thoroughbred callers in the country - Collmus and Wrona - are effectively sojourned.

He may be there for 10 more years...but he won't be "good".

GMB@BP
05-25-2020, 04:30 PM

Most people do not discern a ad-hominem attack and a critique/opinion.

PhantomOnTour
05-25-2020, 04:33 PM
I'm no fan of Grunder and admittedly I've criticized him in the past, but calling him AN idiot is over the line.
This kind of reminds me of Terry Wallace in his last few years calling at Oaklawn.

I'm a big fan of Dave Rodman in Maryland. Wish he would get a shot on a major circuit like NY, Ky or Cali

Loved Rodman's call of the Maryland Sprint about 10yrs ago:
Lantana Mob and Roaring Lion were coming on strong but...
"Taqarub, lights out!"
(anyone wanna post the video?)

Maybe we should turn this thread 180 degrees and post the best calls we've ever heard...???

jimmyb
05-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Suffolk Downs Jim Hannon. "Ding Dong battle to the wire."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2ZhgmywFQ

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 05:20 PM
Most people do not discern a ad-hominem attack and a critique/opinion.

What does that mean? An ad-hominem attack?

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 05:26 PM

That is one very LOADED post Peter.

Interesting indeed.

cj
05-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Loved Rodman's call of the Maryland Sprint about 10yrs ago:
Lantana Mob and Roaring Lion were coming on strong but...
"Taqarub, lights out!"
(anyone wanna post the video?)

Maybe we should turn this thread 180 degrees and post the best calls we've ever heard...???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XzHbWc4ou4

PhantomOnTour
05-25-2020, 05:36 PM
Right on CJ !
Thank you...love Rodman's voice

Suff
05-25-2020, 05:42 PM
Suffolk Downs Jim Hannon. "Ding Dong battle to the wire."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2ZhgmywFQ

https://i.ibb.co/64ZCzfN/5-C09-E37-D-3944-492-C-87-EE-0-E3-F96831-E57.jpg (https://ibb.co/tbhrgW3)

cj
05-25-2020, 05:49 PM
Pic Removed from Quote :)

Did he do Rockingham too? If so he was one of the guys Larry Collmus had on cassette that we'd listen too when traveling to various racetracks around the east coast. Loved that guy.

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 05:57 PM
Pic removed

I called three runnings of the Michgan Mile. The last of those was won by WAQUOIT with Chris McCarron up.

dilanesp
05-25-2020, 06:23 PM

I actually have been somewhat surprised that nobody has yet hired Collmus, although maybe he's not looking.

As for Wrona, you haven't lived until you have heard his florid descriptions of 110 yard QH races.

Peter Berry
05-25-2020, 06:23 PM
That is one very LOADED post Peter.

Interesting indeed.
Just my opinion, of course. No reason a race caller with decent eyesight can't continue into his seventies. That's certainly MY goal.

dilanesp
05-25-2020, 06:25 PM
Just my opinion, of course. No reason a race caller with decent eyesight can't continue into his seventies. That's certainly MY goal.

It looks like Trevor plans to go that long, with his reduced workload.

Harry Henson made it into his 70's, I think.

jimmyb
05-25-2020, 07:02 PM
Did he do Rockingham too? If so he was one of the guys Larry Collmus had on cassette that we'd listen too when traveling to various racetracks around the east coast. Loved that guy.

Yes, he did at Rockingham as well. I believe Larry Collmus stepped in at Suffolk after his announcing days were over. He was working as a teller at Suffolk last I saw him, 2014 or 2015.

Suff
05-25-2020, 07:03 PM

Yes, he won an allowance at The Rock, Larry was just doing Rock then I think--before suffolk. I think larry came into suffolk from rock.

You made me laugh out loud with the picture comment,:D But honestly its only when there is a lot of pictures in the post. Because it makes threads pages and pages long.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Speaking of Larry. With Saratoga liley no-fans, I think NYRA might want to rethink Larry. With no fans, I feel the Saratoga Brand is in play ( at risk ) and you don't want a new voice right now. Nothing against John.

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 07:09 PM
It looks like Trevor plans to go that long, with his reduced workload.

Harry Henson made it into his 70's, I think.

Not quite with Harry but well into his 60's. I've often wondered about this question.

There are many cases of announcers going strong well into and past their 60's. While a few did have a noticeable drop off.

I do think it's a young man's game these days. Especially with race callers branching out into doing other parts of the presentation.

I thought I had a very good year this season at OP and my 61st birthday was Apple Blossom day.

However, when I think of the workload Pete Aiello has at Gulfstream I think I'd fall apart there.

Six days a week. 10 or 11 on weekdays. 12 or 13 on weekends. 84 minute post parades. That schedule would certainly crap me out.

Suff
05-25-2020, 07:12 PM
I called three runnings of the Michgan Mile. The last of those was won by WAQUOIT with Chris McCarron up.

Hi Vic, I enjoy your calls. Callers to me, are part of the entertainment. Unless I can't see the track. Then I like , break, position, fractions, lead horse, lengths front to back, spacing between groups, whose in the groups.

I close my eyes a listen to the caller and see if I can tell if my horse has a placing chance.

Chris McCarron is from Boston ( Dorchester) & also there's a Waquoit Bay near Nantucket. Old Indian grounds.

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 07:18 PM
Hi Vic, I enjoy your calls. Callers to me, are part of the entertainment. Unless I can't see the track. Then I like , break, position, fractions, lead horse, lengths front to back, spacing between groups, whose in the groups.

I close my eyes a listen to the caller and see if I can tell if my horse has a placing chance.

Chris McCarron is from Boston ( Dorchester) & also there's a Waquoit Bay near Nantucket. Old Indian grounds.

What you're listening for SUFF is exactly what we are trying to accomplish.

Peter will back me up on this. There is no bigger compliment you can give a race caller than the " I close my eyes and can tell what's going to happen" prop.

Peter Berry
05-25-2020, 07:30 PM

Peter will back me up on this. There is no bigger compliment you can give a race caller than the " I close my eyes and can tell what's going to happen" prop.
100% correct.

Suff
05-25-2020, 07:45 PM
100% correct.

Conversely when I bet a closer and the announcer says "1st Q in 24.4" Then I stop listening.:D

cj
05-25-2020, 07:55 PM

In other words, an accurate accounting of what is happening on the track, which brings us full circle back to why this thread (and others like it) start.

I don't think anybody expects perfection. It is a tough job and mistakes are going to happen. You just don't want that to be more than norm than the exception.

Suff
05-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Since I brought it up. A handful of times I was squeezed out of viewing position at Gulfstream and relied on Peter Aiello. He's good. Maybe very good. I'm not to judge, but I can listen to him and see the race.

I'm old enough & was poor enough that Radio was big part of childhood. One TV, 3 channels, 6 kids, neighbors with no TV. I listened to the radio a lot as kid and it honed my imagination.

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 08:07 PM
Conversely when I bet a closer and the announcer says "1st Q in 24.4" Then I stop listening.:D

I've always felt how contested the front is makes race shape for closers more than the splits.

I'd rather have 23 4/5 relaxed and loose on the lead than 24 4/5 with 3 or 4 eyeballing each other.

cj
05-25-2020, 08:11 PM
Yes, he won an allowance at The Rock, Larry was just doing Rock then I think--before suffolk. I think larry came into suffolk from rock.

You made me laugh out loud with the picture comment,:D But honestly its only when there is a lot of pictures in the post. Because it makes threads pages and pages long.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Speaking of Larry. With Saratoga liley no-fans, I think NYRA might want to rethink Larry. With no fans, I feel the Saratoga Brand is in play ( at risk ) and you don't want a new voice right now. Nothing against John.

I meant when we were still in high school, Larry had tons of cassette tapes with race replays and we'd listen to them while making trips to Charles Town, Garden State, and even the Meadowlands. A lot of them came from that half hour recap show on ESPN. He used them to practice, studied all the top guys. It was no accident he made it to the top. Hell, in the high school cafeteria he'd call races from the charts published in The Sun.

GMB@BP
05-25-2020, 08:13 PM
What does that mean? An ad-hominem attack?

Vic your a moron if you think this guy is any good

versus

Vics opinion on this subject is moronic.

One attacks you, one attacks your argument.

Usually these attacks happen when one cannot sustain their position within a discussion or by people that cannot express their positions.

of course I was a math major and not english so take that with a grain of salt

v j stauffer
05-25-2020, 08:20 PM
In other words, an accurate accounting of what is happening on the track, which brings us full circle back to why this thread (and others like it) start.

I don't think anybody expects perfection. It is a tough job and mistakes are going to happen. You just don't want that to be more than norm than the exception.

IMO the truest test of whether an announcer is great is when us as fans hearken back to the call and it adds to the love and lore of a great race.

"the two derby winners hit the wire together"

"mike smith let's the bull roll but there's cause for concern"

"bertrando is a stunned second"

"this is unbelievable"

"moving like a tremendous machine"

Huge races must sound and FEEL very DIFFERENT than day to day contests.

Suff
05-25-2020, 08:25 PM
I've always felt how contested the front is makes race shape for closers more than the splits.

I'd rather have 23 4/5 relaxed and loose on the lead than 24 4/5 with 3 or 4 eyeballing each other.

True, a crowded front end takes a smidge of the pace. Other than a planned RABBIT horse, it seems to me- (I'm novice) that the regular among Jockeys is such:

Even though the jockey knows his horse can only run so fast & so far, no matter what, his first obligation is to not let a LONE speed. I see this often when a fav, near-fav gets out in front. Even though the 20-1 shot has NO chance racing on the front, he'll race up and be the Voluntary PUSHER. By default he's forfeiting any chance of his own.

excluding: Rabbits and Need-The-Lead types, its built in to these guys, NO EASY leads, even if it means you NUKE your own chance at purse money. ( had little chance to begin with)

Suff
05-25-2020, 08:27 PM
In other words: Are you racing to win or are you in some private club with private rules.

Track Collector
05-26-2020, 02:41 PM

I enjoy Dave's announcing too and believe he is underrated.

I get to stop in the announcer's booth at the Timonium Fair each year and say hello to Dave and Keith F. (Equibase). Still about 3 months away but I am crossing my fingers they will run the race meet and allow live attendance.

(IF you happen to read this Dave, it is still a great honor being named a "Timonium Fan of the Day", and I still treasure the prize I received, which was a 1-day free parking pass to Energy Downs!). :) For those who might not understand, Energy Downs is a small not well known track in Gillette Wyoming that runs about 9 days a year, and their parking is already free.

Track Collector
05-26-2020, 02:49 PM
And a hello to Vic Stauffer. He graciously provided me with 4 free daily passes and let me come up to the announcer's booth and say hi and take some pictures when visiting Hollywood Park about 3 weeks before they closed forever.

Hope you are enjoying your times working at Oaklawn Park!

dilanesp
05-26-2020, 02:54 PM
IMO the truest test of whether an announcer is great is when us as fans hearken back to the call and it adds to the love and lore of a great race.

"the two derby winners hit the wire together"

"mike smith let's the bull roll but there's cause for concern"

"bertrando is a stunned second"

"this is unbelievable"

"moving like a tremendous machine"

Huge races must sound and FEEL very DIFFERENT than day to day contests.

I actually think it's the opposite. We remember sports events because of the event. Detroit Tigers fans remember this home run VERY well. It's at 2:24 of the video, called by one of the greatest baseball announcers in history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyj3cQswM2U

That's right, all Vin Scully said is "and there it goes!". Some call, right?

Here's another example. Joe Buck, perhaps the second best network sports announcer working (behind Al Michaels), gave us this call of David Tyree's catch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxiHMIM4NWI

Very matter of fact. And yet, has any sports fan forgotten the play?

(Now, of course, Buck and Scully have had memorable calls in other situations, but these are two very famous events in sports history and they aren't diminished one bit by the fact that the announcers didn't say anything to punctuate them.)

The test of an announcer is day in and day out. Coming up with interesting things to say, dramatizing, making what might otherwise be a forgettable Maiden Claimer crackle with excitement. (And by the way, Vic, when I used to hear you all the time at Hollywood Park, you were REALLY good at that.) It actually really didn't matter that much what Chic Anderson said during the 1973 Belmont; people were still going to remember the race.

Suff
05-26-2020, 03:41 PM
I meant when we were still in high school, Larry had tons of cassette tapes with race replays and we'd listen to them while making trips to Charles Town, Garden State, and even the Meadowlands. A lot of them came from that half hour recap show on ESPN. He used them to practice, studied all the top guys. It was no accident he made it to the top. Hell, in the high school cafeteria he'd call races from the charts published in The Sun.

I saw Larry a few months ago at Gulfstream in Jeans-tshirt. No chit/chat , I just saw him walking. I remember thinking: Larry dressed down looks like my mechanic.:lol:

This was 9 months ago opening night party 2019. The following day 11AM, I’m at the track, Larrys outside the jockey room socializing before he goes upstairs.

I’m walking right by him & I instinctively wrap him hard on the shoulder with my form with a big laugh and said..Larry, I saw you last night! Have fun today, Suffolk Downs forever!

He laughed and didn’t miss a beat.

KING
https://i.ibb.co/ssYmkjB/B5-CFE866-C86-E-46-B4-9502-7973-C7721961.jpg (https://ibb.co/h2z7hsq)

mikesal57
05-26-2020, 03:45 PM
I saw Larry a few months ago at Gulfstream in Jeans-tshirt. No chit/chat , I just saw him walking. I remember thinking: Larry dressed down looks like my mechanic.:lol:

This was 9 months ago opening night party 2019. The following day 11AM, I’m at the track, Larrys outside the jockey room socializing before he goes upstairs.

I’m walking right by him & I instinctively wrap him hard on the shoulder with my form with a big laugh and said..Larry, I saw you last night! Have fun today, Suffolk Downs forever!

He laughed and didn’t miss a beat.

KING
https://i.ibb.co/ssYmkjB/B5-CFE866-C86-E-46-B4-9502-7973-C7721961.jpg (https://ibb.co/h2z7hsq)

Is that Angel Cordero next to him?

Suff
05-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Is that Angel Cordero next to him?

Yes. Its an annual event for Charity held at Siro’s the evening before opening day at the (insert larry collmus) SPAAAAH.

Same event.
https://i.ibb.co/p4cdJ5H/2273-AE84-D06-A-4-ABE-9-D03-D69838879287.jpg (https://ibb.co/bNTXzD4)

v j stauffer
05-26-2020, 04:29 PM
And a hello to Vic Stauffer. He graciously provided me with 4 free daily passes and let me come up to the announcer's booth and say hi and take some pictures when visiting Hollywood Park about 3 weeks before they closed forever.

Hope you are enjoying your times working at Oaklawn Park!

I remember that. It was a pleasure meeting you. Those were sad times.

Still totally bummed. How in the hell could Hollywood freakin Park go out of business?

Talk about a life changing occurrence.

Oh well. We move on and try to do it with a modicum of style.:cool:

v j stauffer
05-26-2020, 04:35 PM
I actually think it's the opposite. We remember sports events because of the event. Detroit Tigers fans remember this home run VERY well. It's at 2:24 of the video, called by one of the greatest baseball announcers in history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyj3cQswM2U

That's right, all Vin Scully said is "and there it goes!". Some call, right?

Here's another example. Joe Buck, perhaps the second best network sports announcer working (behind Al Michaels), gave us this call of David Tyree's catch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxiHMIM4NWI

Very matter of fact. And yet, has any sports fan forgotten the play?

(Now, of course, Buck and Scully have had memorable calls in other situations, but these are two very famous events in sports history and they aren't diminished one bit by the fact that the announcers didn't say anything to punctuate them.)

The test of an announcer is day in and day out. Coming up with interesting things to say, dramatizing, making what might otherwise be a forgettable Maiden Claimer crackle with excitement. (And by the way, Vic, when I used to hear you all the time at Hollywood Park, you were REALLY good at that.) It actually really didn't matter that much what Chic Anderson said during the 1973 Belmont; people were still going to remember the race.

I'm not quite sure why you'd go to all this time and trouble to disagree with something that's totally subjective.

I believe the calls of iconic sporting events sometimes add to the lore of the event.

You believe they don't. Two differing opinions.

You give this huge presentation like it's some sort of a a thesis.

I'm NOT wrong. You're not WRONG. It's just a take.

JustRalph
05-26-2020, 05:25 PM
Lore is an acquired taste, and totally ignored by many......

cj
05-26-2020, 05:54 PM
Lore is an acquired taste, and totally ignored by many......

Lure, on the other hand, was loved by many. :)

https://static.americasbestracing.net/s3fs-public/styles/large_hero_16_9/public/article/Lure%2092%20BC.jpg

dilanesp
05-26-2020, 06:00 PM

https://static.americasbestracing.net/s3fs-public/styles/large_hero_16_9/public/article/Lure%2092%20BC.jpg

I liked him. A lot.

You can make a case that the various multiple-BC Mile winners are some of the best horses of the last 35 years. It's a difficult race to win once- it's always loaded.

Tom
05-26-2020, 10:38 PM
He was an alluring horse!

kingfin66
05-26-2020, 10:48 PM

Actually, he had it right - your. You're is short for "you are" which is not what he was saying. Before we get too far on this tangent; however, let me offer that your posts are quite eloquent and reflect a solid command of the English language. :)

kingfin66
05-26-2020, 10:51 PM
I took it as "your" number of posts.

But mostly I was bored waiting for the walkover in Gulfstream's third to be done.

So did I. Why the hell am I even in this thread anyway?

cj
05-26-2020, 11:19 PM
Your on a roll Tom...

Alright, I had to re-visit since it came up again.

To me he clearly means "You are on a roll Tom..."

I was talking about the FIRST "your," not the second one.

mikesal57
05-26-2020, 11:21 PM
Alright, I had to re-visit since it came up again.

To me he clearly means "You are on a roll Tom..."

I was talking about the FIRST "your," not the second one.

My God...dont yu quit????

Tom
05-26-2020, 11:25 PM
Their, their.....

mikesal57
05-26-2020, 11:26 PM
Their, their.....

Now dont you start....

cj
05-27-2020, 12:38 AM
My God...dont yu quit????

I moved on to Lure, perfect segue. Blame King. ����

taxicab
05-27-2020, 01:52 AM

His 1993 BC Mile was as good as it gets.
He's 5 wide from the jump,stays there through suicide splits.......and then has the nerve to laugh at them all,and open up the final 1/8th.
Best grass miler North America has ever seen.

https://youtu.be/y9XoCYOK2MQ

Redbullsnation
05-27-2020, 02:43 AM
Grunder has another blunder. Shocker :D

affirmedny
05-27-2020, 09:26 AM
Yes, he did at Rockingham as well. I believe Larry Collmus stepped in at Suffolk after his announcing days were over. He was working as a teller at Suffolk last I saw him, 2014 or 2015.

He said something bad when he didn't realize his mike was open and they busted him down to mutuel teller. The story is in TD Thornton's book.

dilanesp
05-27-2020, 11:46 AM
He said something bad when he didn't realize his mike was open and they busted him down to mutuel teller. The story is in TD Thornton's book.

OK, now I want to know. What did he say?

v j stauffer
05-27-2020, 12:38 PM
OK, now I want to know. What did he say?

Couldn't have been as bad at the great George O filling in for me at Hollywood Park.

I was offered a chance to be on the Craig Ferguson show. It taped at 5:30 in LA so I took off a race early.

Georgie called the last for me.

Several things went wrong. First he got the on/off switches in the announcers booth mixed up.

They weren't on during the live race. Several people called the booth during the call but he had no idea what to do about that. So he kept calling.

After the race he somehow turned the mic on with out realizing it. When some one came into the booth and told him. He screamed ****!! For all the world to hear.

That pretty much brought George's announcing career to a halt and I didn't ask to leave early ever again.

dilanesp
05-27-2020, 01:34 PM
Couldn't have been as bad at the great George O filling in for me at Hollywood Park.

I was offered a chance to be on the Craig Ferguson show. It taped at 5:30 in LA so I took off a race early.

Georgie called the last for me.

Several things went wrong. First he got the on/off switches in the announcers booth mixed up.

They weren't on during the live race. Several people called the booth during the call but he had no idea what to do about that. So he kept calling.

After the race he somehow turned the mic on with out realizing it. When some one came into the booth and told him. He screamed ****!! For all the world to hear.

That pretty much brought George's announcing career to a halt and I didn't ask to leave early ever again.

That's hilarious.

Of course I would have just assumed the announcer had lost a big wager. :)

jimmyb
05-27-2020, 01:40 PM

I remember when TD Thornton got thrown out of the press area. I don't recall all the particulars.

v j stauffer
05-27-2020, 03:12 PM
That's hilarious.

Of course I would have just assumed the announcer had lost a big wager. :)

An announcers biggest fear is a live mic that he doesn't know is on. I have dodged some very big bullets in my day.

What's REALLY dangerous is when you're live to the satellite and therefore all the TV's while off to in house PA.

That's happened to me and could have buried me if the wrong person heard it.

My mantra now is consider myself live from the time I walk in the front gate until I'm in my car after the last.

affirmedny
05-27-2020, 03:50 PM
OK, now I want to know. What did he say? see attached

dilanesp
05-27-2020, 04:15 PM
An announcers biggest fear is a live mic that he doesn't know is on. I have dodged some very big bullets in my day.

What's REALLY dangerous is when you're live to the satellite and therefore all the TV's while off to in house PA.

That's happened to me and could have buried me if the wrong person heard it.

My mantra now is consider myself live from the time I walk in the front gate until I'm in my car after the last.

Yeah, I've done tons of PA, but always just on a speaker system. I've never had to deal with a live mic that might be either recording me or sending me out over a satellite.

But even just with ordinary PA, it's SOOOOOOO easy to leave a mic open. You make an announcement, someone hands you something or comes up to tell you something, and boom, it's still on.

dilanesp
05-27-2020, 04:17 PM
see attached

LOL! It's reminiscent of Michael Kinsley's definition of a "political gaffe"- "when a politician accidentally blurts out the truth".

jameegray1
05-27-2020, 06:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0RSHFoRbiE

Suff
05-27-2020, 11:02 PM

The funniest thing in his book is the suggestion box story, when someone left a note that Suffolk Downs needs more profanity because it makes racing more enjoyable. :lol:

He's on point here.

To say Suffolk Downs is rife with colorful characters would be the understatement of the century. Sometimes, when immersed in the day-to-day atmosphere of a large, urban betting factory, it is easy for the distinction between acceptable racetrack behavior and what passes for “normalcy” in other environments to become blurred, if not outright obliterated. To outsiders, the racetrack can be an intimidating

Zman179
05-28-2020, 10:20 AM
see attached

Rockingham back in the day was one heck of a racetrack. First they battled head-to-head with Suffolk and won (that’s when Suffolk closed the first time.) Now they got all the dates and run year-round so because of the harsh winters they have to winterize the track...which after a few days break to resurface turned the course into the slowest dirt track probably in the world; 6f times of 1:20 for routes were commonplace. It looked as if they were racing on the deepest part of a sandy beach, but 12 horses in a race was very common so there was some good money to be made there. IIRC, Jim Hannon got the job as the race caller at the Rock after Dennis Clow, a popular New England caller himself, got busted for drug possession and was fired by management.

The only call I could find for Dennis Clow at Rockingham was in this video below. It’s at the 4:00 mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UABVY61tmdU