PDA

View Full Version : Preakness Oct 3rd

Bigadam119
05-16-2020, 06:06 PM
More than likely the last TC race this year. I just hope this is all a one off due to the circumstances and next year the TC goes back to the way it was.

cj
05-17-2020, 12:07 PM
More than likely the last TC race this year. I just hope this is all a one off due to the circumstances and next year the TC goes back to the way it was.

I mean we know you can't predict everything, stuff happens that can change things, but of course as of now it is going back to the usual format in 2021.

Bigadam119
05-17-2020, 02:44 PM
I mean we know you can't predict everything, stuff happens that can change things, but of course as of now it is going back to the usual format in 2021.

I’d like to think that’s the case, but I also think that most horsemen in America would like the races to be more spaced out

dilanesp
05-17-2020, 03:08 PM
I’d like to think that’s the case, but I also think that most horsemen in America would like the races to be more spaced out

They clearly would, but one indicator that it probably won't happen is how quickly Baffert got shot down when he mused about shortening the Belmont.

A whole bunch of marketing has gone into the positioning of the TC races on the schedule. I agree with cj- they are going right back to where they were whenever it is feasible (most likely 2021).

NJDfan1711
05-19-2020, 02:10 PM

Is that really the popular opinion? I think having them two and three weeks apart is great - it's spaced out far enough to build anticipation, but close enough to where it remains fresh in people's minds. I think if they were any further out, most of America would forget and not care as much. It's the same in other sports...the playoffs begin right after the regular season, and beyond that, when a series/round is over, the next one begins almost immediately, as soon as all other teams have moved on as well.

dilanesp
05-19-2020, 02:52 PM
They clearly would, but one indicator that it probably won't happen is how quickly Baffert got shot down when he mused about shortening the Belmont.

A whole bunch of marketing has gone into the positioning of the TC races on the schedule. I agree with cj- they are going right back to where they were whenever it is feasible (most likely 2021).

This didn't age well, as they say.

Now that the Belmont has been shortened, I wonder if everything is up for grabs in 2021. The Derby will probably be back to 1 1/4 miles on the first Saturday in May, but more spacing? A shorter Belmont? Even a shorter Preakness?

Basically if Bob Baffert wants these things, he can probably get them.

Tom
05-19-2020, 02:58 PM
Preakness relies on the college crowd - putting it later takes many of them home for the years.

Belmont get to major races days now - Belmont day and 4th of July day. not much room there with Toga coming on.

2021 - back as it has been for years.