PDA

View Full Version : Horse Ownership

thetripleclowns
05-07-2020, 08:49 PM
This week we interviewed Joe Moran from MyRacehorse.com. He explained the company and how the micro shares work. Have you ever looked into owning a horse?

https://youtu.be/9qEFLPIbxzo

Afleet
05-08-2020, 11:18 AM
I’m in multiple partnerships: broodmares, 2 y/o’s, yearlings. More lows than highs. Have to have a strong stomach. Claiming partnerships are probably a better way to go for most people.

classhandicapper
05-08-2020, 04:27 PM
I'm in a partnership. I can give you the major upside and downside of that arrangement for me.

The upside is that shared costs allow more diversification. You can have a piece of more horses if you are sharing costs than you can if you are on your own. That way if one or more horses are disappointing, you still have a chance to do OK if one of the others is doing very well.

The downside is decision making about when and where to start your horses. If you have strong handicapping opinions or views on how to manage horses that are not in sync with the controlling partner, you are occasionally going to get upset if the horse runs in a spot you disagree with.

So if you do it in a partnership, make sure your views on how to spot horses are similar to whoever will be making the decisions or that you trust that person's judgement a lot.

Afleet
05-08-2020, 06:07 PM
I'm in a partnership. I can give you the major upside and downside of that arrangement for me.

The upside is that shared costs allow more diversification. You can have a piece of more horses if you are sharing costs than you can if you are on your own. That way if one or more horses are disappointing, you still have a chance to do OK if one of the others is doing very well.

The downside is decision making about when and where to start your horses. If you have strong handicapping opinions or views on how to manage horses that are not in sync with the controlling partner, you are occasionally going to get upset if the horse runs in a spot you disagree with.

So if you do it in a partnership, make sure your views on how to spot horses are similar to whoever will be making the decisions or that you trust that person's judgement a lot.

this is correct in my experience