PDA

View Full Version : MAY 4

ldiatone
05-04-2020, 01:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68g76j9VBvM

RunForTheRoses
05-04-2020, 03:43 PM
What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground? Neil at his best.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/may/06/ohio-neil-young-kent-state-shootings

In Ohio, not a word or note is wasted. There's the cold, accusatory refrain of "Four dead in Ohio"; the gutsy, precise naming of Nixon and the "tin soldiers" of the national guard; the sudden shift from the perspective of an outsider reading the news to that of a mourning friend crouched over a victim's body. The wrenching guitar solo incarnates all the anger and grief of the subject at hand. The only problem with it is the first-person plural: We're on our own; soldiers are cutting us down. There was a big difference between the Kent State students and a bunch of rock stars.

ldiatone
05-04-2020, 06:13 PM
interesting note. when i did go to the main campus, i lived in collage towers. i become friends who was wounded and was in a wheel chair. then i had a chance to "party" w/ one of the Kent 25. years later working at a country club in Pittsburgh, the mother of the one young girl killed would come to the club and play cards 2 days a week.

highernote
05-04-2020, 07:51 PM
Where were College Towers? I remember Tri-Towers and Twin Towers, but not College Towers.

I lived in Manchester Hall for two years, Olson Hall for a year, and Beall-McDowell.

I moved into a couple of shit hole houses off-campus for awhile and also an apartment at Silver Ghettos. :D

ldiatone
05-05-2020, 12:54 AM
Where were College Towers? I remember Tri-Towers and Twin Towers, but not College Towers.

I lived in Manchester Hall for two years, Olson Hall for a year, and Beall-McDowell.

I moved into a couple of shit hole houses off-campus for awhile and also an apartment at Silver Ghettos. :D

College Towers was right off campus. it was right across from the ice arena. i use to walk to tri towers as i had many friends there. i worked at the University Inn on water st. "Guidos top of the Inn" now ya got me at silver ghettos. might not have been called that in the 70's

highernote
05-05-2020, 02:06 AM
College Towers was right off campus. it was right across from the ice arena. i use to walk to tri towers as i had many friends there. i worked at the University Inn on water st. "Guidos top of the Inn" now ya got me at silver ghettos. might not have been called that in the 70's

It was called Silver Meadows apartments. Everyone called it Silver Ghettos because it was a poorer part of town, but it was definitely not a ghetto. A lot of students and young working people lived there. You would drive towards downtown on the main street. I can't remember the name of the street -- go over the railroad tracks. Then keep going a mile or two and take a right and it was a big apartment complex.

I remember University Inn. That was just about the only hotel in town if it's the place I'm thinking of. I never heard of Guidos top of the Inn. If you kept driving out of town past University Inn towards I-76 there was a strip club called The Outpost. I think there was a K-Mart out that way, too. That's all I can remember in that direction.

We used to go to the Robin Hood, Ray's Place, Mother's Upstairs, and JB's Down. There was also a bar not far from the Music and Speech building we used to go to for trivia night and drink pitchers of margaritas.

My favorite hangout was Cap't Brady's Restaurant right across from campus. I knew the owner and his brother. We spent many hours there drinking coffee and playing scrabble.

Cap't Brady's was not far from the bell at the bottom of the hill by the old campus buildings. On the other side of the hill was another green where the students were shot at the bottom of the hill.

Across that green was Manchester Hall where I lived. Supposedly, we lived in the dorm room that Joe Walsh of the James Gang lived in. We probably weren't the only ones who said that.

I went to Kent State because of the music and art scene. Bands like the James Gang and Eric Carmen and the Raspberries were already local legends. But then came Devo, Hammer Damage, The Action, Ital, Exotic Birds, and Tin Huey to name a few.

Joe Walsh and his band and David Crosby and his band were supposed to play a May 4th concert, but it was postponed because of the virus. Too bad CSN&Y didn't agree to play. That would be great!

ldiatone
05-05-2020, 01:33 PM
It was called Silver Meadows apartments. Everyone called it Silver Ghettos because it was a poorer part of town, but it was definitely not a ghetto. A lot of students and young working people lived there. You would drive towards downtown on the main street. I can't remember the name of the street -- go over the railroad tracks. Then keep going a mile or two and take a right and it was a big apartment complex.

I remember University Inn. That was just about the only hotel in town if it's the place I'm thinking of. I never heard of Guidos top of the Inn. If you kept driving out of town past University Inn towards I-76 there was a strip club called The Outpost. I think there was a K-Mart out that way, too. That's all I can remember in that direction.

We used to go to the Robin Hood, Ray's Place, Mother's Upstairs, and JB's Down. There was also a bar not far from the Music and Speech building we used to go to for trivia night and drink pitchers of margaritas.

My favorite hangout was Cap't Brady's Restaurant right across from campus. I knew the owner and his brother. We spent many hours there drinking coffee and playing scrabble.

Cap't Brady's was not far from the bell at the bottom of the hill by the old campus buildings. On the other side of the hill was another green where the students were shot at the bottom of the hill.

Across that green was Manchester Hall where I lived. Supposedly, we lived in the dorm room that Joe Walsh of the James Gang lived in. We probably weren't the only ones who said that.

I went to Kent State because of the music and art scene. Bands like the James Gang and Eric Carmen and the Raspberries were already local legends. But then came Devo, Hammer Damage, The Action, Ital, Exotic Birds, and Tin Huey to name a few.

Joe Walsh and his band and David Crosby and his band were supposed to play a May 4th concert, but it was postponed because of the virus. Too bad CSN&Y didn't agree to play. That would be great!
reads like some of the places are newer then when i was there. JB's i remember and Guidos closed a while ago. i also lived on main street in a house right across the street at the end of the new highway. i do not remember that apt. complex. there is a hotel at the entrence of 76 i worked at for a few months. it was the Holiday Inn. i also used to fish Magadore lake

highernote
05-05-2020, 04:18 PM
reads like some of the places are newer then when i was there. JB's i remember and Guidos closed a while ago. i also lived on main street in a house right across the street at the end of the new highway. i do not remember that apt. complex. there is a hotel at the entrence of 76 i worked at for a few months. it was the Holiday Inn. i also used to fish Magadore lake

It has changed a lot since I was there in the early 80s. There are a lot of new buildings downtown and also on campus. It feels much more cramped now on campus. I loved it when I was there, but when I visited with my kids a few years ago none of us liked the campus as much.

My kids did enjoy ringing the bell. And you can still see some bullet holes from the shots the National Guardsmen took.