PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Cuccurullo Set to Retire Again

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Cuccurullo set to retire again

Pat Cuccurullo, who won the National Jockey Club at Hawthorne training title this past spring, said he is leaving the sport the day after Thanksgiving. Cuccurullo, currently serving as trainer Steve Asmussen's top assistant, said he plans to move to Phoenix and purse opportunities outside the racing world.

Cuccurullo has left racing before, only to rise again, and he didn't rule out a future comeback, perhaps at Turf Paradise. But for now, Cuccurullo said he has had enough.

"Basically, I want to have more time to spend with my family," said Cuccurullo, 47. "Right now, I'm setting my alarm clock for 4:30 in the morning, and I want a job where I don't have to do that."

Cuccurullo began working at the track as a hotwalker in the early 1970's, taking a job with the famed Lucien Laurin. Working mainly with claiming horses, he has had several good runs, including a stint as one of the leading trainers at Canterbury Park in the 1980's. With his numbers down, Cuccurullo caught on with owner Frank Calabrese during the summer of 2003, and after Calabrese split with Wayne Catalano, Cuccurullo took over the operation, winning his title last spring.

But the Cuccurullo-Calabrese relationship also frayed, and by mid-summer that, too, had ended. Cuccurullo surfaced as Asmussen's man in Chicago at the start of the Hawthorne meet - his second tenure with Team Asmussen - but now is leaving again.

The above article is from the DRF

He'll be back, it's in his blood. He's walked away from it twice and has come back to training horses. Pat was the trainer for IrishLad
Stables in the 1980's at Canterbury Downs. Pat's dad Joe Cuccurullo campaigned under Sookie Stables at the NYRA Tracks (Aqu,Belmont,Saratoga)in the 1970's . Remember Mary Queen Of Scot's,Patty D'Baker,Split Infinitive, Josie The Tiger ?
The above article mentions moving to Phoenix,that makes sense.
Pat has 2 brother's in Arizona, one in Mesa the other in Tempe.
I think Pat just needs a little R&R from his dealing with Mr Calabrese. Im sure you're be seeing the name Cuccurullo
in the entries in the near future maybe at Turf Paradise .

Jimmy

Valuist
10-26-2004, 09:33 AM
Take Michael Gill and magnify the "control" factor 100 times and you have Frank Calabrese. I'm not 100% shocked Catalano went back to work with him but its anyone's guess how long it will last this time. This time Catalano has other clients as well. At some point, Cuccurullo will miss the game and come back, IMO.