PDA

View Full Version : Bel Pic 3 on the low side

Valuist
10-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Imagine hitting a $59 winner and beating a 3-5 favorite in the last leg and having a Pic 3 come back at less than $300 for every $2. The other leg was a favorite at 8-5 but there also was a 2-1 horse in that race. Only thing I can think of was that the $59 winner came in a race where everyone spread out. The parlay was around $450.

the little guy
10-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Two things happened to cause that IMO. One is that Melhor Ainda and My Typhoon were pretty much the same price ( as they should have been ) in multirace exotics. Both the Pick-3 and Double ending with their race ( the seventh ) were very close in price indicating My Typhoon was even money and Melhor Ainda was 6-5. For some unknown, and moronic reason, My Typhoon went off at 3-5 with Melhor Ainda 2-1, odds also not reflected in the exacta and trifecta payoffs.

The second, and lesser, factor is that with the $59 horse being in the second leg, his odds become somewhat random, as big prices in middle to last legs are often shorter in Pick-3s, which compensates for the usual value in lower priced horses as the dispersion of bets comes into play.

Make sense?

Valuist
10-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah it makes sense. And of course Carruthers was on TVG stating basically that My Typhoon couldn't lose; never mind the fact she had never been in a battle before and waltzed thru a slow pace wire job in her only race. I believe the odds on Polo Grounds actually rose late. I thought he was around 18-1 or 20-1 thru most of the betting. I think some bettors were trying to snag a price in the middle leg; figuring two lower priced horses had to make up the 1st and 3rd legs; you couldn't justify taking a low price in the middle leg.