PDA

View Full Version : Fonner Park is proving a point I've made for a long time

bigeastbeast
04-13-2020, 09:27 PM
The hard core horse player will bet anything if it's the only game in town.Fonner is getting amounts bet that it has never before seen and will never see again.

Given this evidence,why should racing in the future be structured to funnel a heavily disproportionate amount of money toward the top of the chain,sort of trickle up?

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2020, 10:00 PM
Because people ALSO always bet more on the biggest game in town when there are many available options.

When there are only a few options, the only game in town gets the most money, of course.

It's pretty simple.

Just because Fonner is raking it in when it's one of the few games in town, doesn't mean people will continue to bet it when others start coming back online.

theiman
04-13-2020, 10:06 PM
I dont know if Fonner is raking it in. I read somewhere and dont recall where but Fonner Parks deals with ADW's is not good. Any track makes more from a live handle, plus admission and concessions than other ways.

If I can find where I read it I will post a link.

thaskalos
04-13-2020, 10:11 PM
A horrible track to bet on...IMO.

ReplayRandall
04-13-2020, 10:26 PM
A horrible track to bet on...IMO.Yep, every track I lose at is a horrible track as well....But not Fonner...:cool:

thaskalos
04-13-2020, 10:27 PM
Yep, every track I lose at is a horrible track as well....But not Fonner...:cool:

No. I lose at Oaklawn too...but it's a GREAT track. :ThmbUp:

ReplayRandall
04-13-2020, 10:41 PM
No. I lose at Oaklawn too...but it's a GREAT track. :ThmbUp:Oooooohhhh, now I get it....you love losing your money while betting on anything but very cheap horses.

Kind of like getting your bankroll shredded by a great looking woman, then she dumps you...:kiss:

thaskalos
04-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Oooooohhhh, now I get it....you love losing your money while betting on anything but very cheap horses.

Kind of like getting your bankroll shredded by a great looking woman, then she dumps you...:kiss:

Sure. Now that you got chewed out at the off topics...you come here and harass me. :kiss:

ReplayRandall
04-13-2020, 10:50 PM
Sure. Now that you got chewed out at the off topics...you come here and harass me. :kiss:I didn't see that, what did I say that I was scolded about?

MONEY
04-13-2020, 11:00 PM
I didn't see that, what did I say that I was scolded about?
Trap question, you know that off topic is not allowed in the Horse Racing Forum.

ReplayRandall
04-13-2020, 11:06 PM
Trap question, you know that off topic is not allowed in the Horse Racing Forum.Fast on the draw, Money...Spoiled my fun...:cool:

Clocker
04-13-2020, 11:39 PM
I dont know if Fonner is raking it in. I read somewhere and dont recall where but Fonner Parks deals with ADW's is not good. Any track makes more from a live handle, plus admission and concessions than other ways.

If I can find where I read it I will post a link.

Fonner debuted a race card Monday that didn’t include spectators after shifting its race days from its traditional weekends. The result produced a track-record overall mutuel handle of $1.3 million, though only $28,000 was wagered locally.

The numbers went even higher Tuesday when the overall handle record fell again at $2.2 million, which included $31,000 on-track. The overall handle Wednesday was $1.6 million with an on-track total of $34,000.

While those figures sound tremendously encouraging, they also can be misleading. Fonner receives 3% of that overall handle from simulcasting revenues because it is split up several ways.

“We made enough this week to fund about 15 future races," Kotulak said. “I know when figures in the millions are being tossed around it sounds great, but we only get a sliver of that."

https://www.omaha.com/sports/local-sports/we-re-day-to-day-fonner-park-breaks-records-with-no-fans-in-stands-but/article_eac81d96-0264-5e9a-9920-89672e9a9dbf.html

theiman
04-13-2020, 11:47 PM
https://www.omaha.com/sports/local-sports/we-re-day-to-day-fonner-park-breaks-records-with-no-fans-in-stands-but/article_eac81d96-0264-5e9a-9920-89672e9a9dbf.html

I think thats what I read.
For some reason I remember John Hernandez, who is at Prairie Meadows, I think PR and simo interviews, mentioned it too.

Clocker
04-13-2020, 11:58 PM
I think thats what I read.

You want to be careful and keep your reading of the Omaha Weird-Harold to a minimum. :rolleyes:

metro
04-14-2020, 01:16 AM

So Fonner gets less as a percentage than some of the ADWs give their high dollar players? And we wonder why the sport is dying.

jay68802
04-14-2020, 02:23 AM
Just because Fonner is raking it in when it's one of the few games in town, doesn't mean people will continue to bet it when others start coming back online.

The reason their deal with the ADW's is so poor for them. They will be forgotten by the majority of players once they are back to running weekends with other competition.

I would not say raking it in, but paying the bills. Better than putting another nail in the coffin for Nebraska racing.

Waquoit
04-14-2020, 08:49 AM
Given this evidence,why should racing in the future be structured to funnel a heavily disproportionate amount of money toward the top of the chain,sort of trickle up?

Bigger purses get more owners into the game.

djm1959
04-14-2020, 08:54 AM
fonner is garbage,,id be happy for finger lakes for sure

cj
04-14-2020, 11:45 AM
I watch all the races, nothing else to do. I've even bet a few and somehow have eked out a small + ROI while betting peanuts. But I could never take this place seriously for one reason. The jockeys absolutely stink. They all look terrible on a horse and I can't imagine they would win a race at any mid-level track, let alone a good one.

Appy
04-14-2020, 01:03 PM
Good point CJ. But I think playing Fonner is no different than playing any other track in that the more familiar you are with that track and the connections running there the higher your success rate will be. Just as important is keeping track of the horses on site. The timed workouts are posted on a bulletin board in the racing office fresh every day. Those can be enlightening, especially when horses are worked in company. Being at the track early in the mornings is also a good practice as it enables you to observe trainers and make note of the methodology they follow, let alone personal observation of how each horse performs.
I didn't even have the card for GPX Sunday, but capped just off what I know of how things tend to go there and what I could see on the entries/connections/sireline/live odds race page shown on my ADW site. I came out with a healthy winning day without all the advantages of using software/database/etal. Wouldn't want to make a habit of that, but it worked Sunday...even though I only capped but DNP.
Playing blind is the surest path to ruin you could adopt.

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2020, 02:56 PM
I watch all the races, nothing else to do. I've even bet a few and somehow have eked out a small + ROI while betting peanuts. But I could never take this place seriously for one reason. The jockeys absolutely stink. They all look terrible on a horse and I can't imagine they would win a race at any mid-level track, let alone a good one.Stinky jocks or not, how does one explain the ride on J Train in the 1st last Monday (4/6)?

Somebody brought this race to my attention just now, so I looked on the board here to see if it was brought up...couldn't find anything.

The ride on that 9-5 horse would be a reason not to bet Fonner when other tracks open back up, that's for sure.

Somebody even thought enough about this race to put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTSlu-h5YQ

jay68802
04-14-2020, 03:08 PM
Want to see bad rides at Fonner? Just wait till the track gets some moisture and the jockeys say it is "unsafe", then Management tells them to race. After watching that you will think J Train was ridden by Mike Smith.

Saratoga_Mike
04-14-2020, 03:22 PM
I watch all the races, nothing else to do. I've even bet a few and somehow have eked out a small + ROI while betting peanuts. But I could never take this place seriously for one reason. The jockeys absolutely stink. They all look terrible on a horse and I can't imagine they would win a race at any mid-level track, let alone a good one.

It reminds me of CT circa 1998, but CT had a better jockey colony.

Robert Fischer
04-14-2020, 03:33 PM
Stinky jocks or not, how does one explain the ride on J Train in the 1st last Monday (4/6)?

Definitely looked bad on the horse, and never tried to win. Was not at all 'territorial'. Never set the :2: into a drive.

I can't tell. It's fairly likely the horse and rider were just goof-balls. At least he held 2nd.

wisconsin
04-14-2020, 03:38 PM
I, too, have noticed that the jocks at Fonner don't try. Watch any race from Tampa, for instance where jocks on the hopeless runners still go balls to the walls trying.

cj
04-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Stinky jocks or not, how does one explain the ride on J Train in the 1st last Monday (4/6)?...

I was trying to be nice. I've seen a lot of this. Some of the riders are so bad I can't tell if they aren't trying or if they are just terrible.

Who are these jockeys? Fonner is a small track that runs a pretty short meet. Do they ride elsewhere? I can't imagine they could be jockeys on literally any other circuit, not if they want to eat. So what else do they do?

Suddenly they have huge pools so there is certainly incentive for some chicanery. Whether that is going on I have no idea, but I at least know what I'm getting into when I put a few bucks in the pool. That is why it is only a few bucks.

Redboard
04-14-2020, 04:07 PM
I don't usually play tracks like Fonner, but I notice that they seem to run a lot of geldings there, almost Hong Kong-like. Tomorrow’s last and feature race, The Dowd Mile, has a field of ten, nine are geldings, including the top two favorites, Mr Tickle and Blue Harbor, both 8-yr-old geldings. There’s also a nine and a ten year old gelding in the field. This is pretty cool IMO.

I would love to see the sport here in the U.S. take on the Hong Kong model so that horses stay on the track longer. Horses like Kelso that stay around and win year after year are one of the best way to attract new fans.

cj
04-14-2020, 04:08 PM
I don't usually play tracks like Fonner, but I notice that they seem to run a lot of geldings there, almost Hong Kong-like. Tomorrow’s last and feature race, The Dowd Mile, has a field of ten, nine are geldings, including the top two favorites, Mr Tickle and Blue Harbor, both 8-yr-old geldings. There’s also a nine and a ten year old gelding in the field. This is pretty cool IMO.

I would love to see the sport here in the U.S. take on the Hong Kong model so that horses stay on the track longer. Horses like Kelso that stay around and win year after year are one of the best way to attract new fans.

Never thought I'd see Kelso and Fonner Park horses mentioned together. :)

Boomer
04-14-2020, 04:45 PM
Stinky jocks or not, how does one explain the ride on J Train in the 1st last Monday (4/6)?

Somebody brought this race to my attention just now, so I looked on the board here to see if it was brought up...couldn't find anything.

The ride on that 9-5 horse would be a reason not to bet Fonner when other tracks open back up, that's for sure.

Below was my pre-race analysis of this race. Only 2 horses had any shot as the rest were awful. The winner was actually the odds on favorite and I also commented the $8.60 exacta was generous. I thought J Train was green and not intentionally held as it was his third LT race. But I could be wrong.

That being said, huge handles, huge carry-overs and tiny purses are a recipe for problems and the racing the last couple of weeks has been marred by non efforts. One of the leading jocks who will remain nameless but is always bet down has been floundering in the outside lanes despite a pronounced inside speed bias. Yesterday he appeared dead on every mount.

Like they used to do in my Monticllo Raceway days, buy a driver to simply go dead for the entire card. Much easier than race by race.

#2 Jtrain will get my Win money in what appears to be a 2 horse race. Better odds and more upside than #4
#4 Mr Big Shot....box with #2 in Exacta
2w ex box 24 dd 24/245

cj
04-14-2020, 04:55 PM
That being said, huge handles, huge carry-overs and tiny purses are a recipe for problems and the racing the last couple of weeks has been marred by non efforts.

This is what I was trying to say, but you did it much better.

fastfasterfastest
04-14-2020, 05:02 PM
Below was my pre-race analysis of this race. Only 2 horses had any shot as the rest were awful. The winner was actually the odds on favorite and I also commented the $8.60 exacta was generous. I thought J Train was green and not intentionally held as it was his third LT race. But I could be wrong.

That being said, huge handles, huge carry-overs and tiny purses are a recipe for problems and the racing the last couple of weeks has been marred by non efforts. One of the leading jocks who will remain nameless but is always bet down has been floundering in the outside lanes despite a pronounced inside speed bias. Yesterday he appeared dead on every mount.

Like they used to do in my Monticllo Raceway days, buy a driver to simply go dead for the entire card. Much easier than race by race.

#2 Jtrain will get my Win money in what appears to be a 2 horse race. Better odds and more upside than #4
#4 Mr Big Shot....box with #2 in Exacta
2w ex box 24 dd 24/245

I actually posted on April 7th in the following thread http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2583963#post2583963 post #163, about what I was observing from Fonner. Your example was one of two from the card on the 6th that made it grossly obvious games are being played.

Cuffdaddy
04-14-2020, 05:13 PM
One thing that is noticeable about these lesser jocks is there inability to not lose momentum at a crucial time during the race.
They take way to big a hold during these moments and the race is lost.
The cheaper horses need everything virtually perfect and combining that with less skilled riders is tough to watch and wager on.

therussmeister
04-14-2020, 05:22 PM
I, too, have noticed that the jocks at Fonner don't try. Watch any race from Tampa, for instance where jocks on the hopeless runners still go balls to the walls trying.

The Fonner jockeys approaching the finish line have all the urgency of Gulfstream jockeys passing the finish line the first time in a 1 mile 3/8 race.

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2020, 05:32 PM
I thought J Train was green and not intentionally held as it was his third LT race. But I could be wrong.Guess I have to watch it again then. Green horse never came to mind. But the actions of his rider certainly did...

Boomer
04-14-2020, 05:41 PM
Guess I have to watch it again then. Green horse never came to mind. But the actions of his rider certainly did...

And after I watched it again I clearly saw your point of view. Likely only Mr. Fackler knows.

I really respect bullring jocks who ride lame and/or unmanageable horses for peanuts so when I wrote the synopsis after the race I figured he ( the horse)was triyng to lug out. Fackler is also one of the jocks that seems to be racing harder than others so I gave him the pass and figured it was the horse.

Boomer
04-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Fackler is my single here in race 3 in the p3 and p5. Looks like inside controlling speed. My opiion pf him may change drastically if he leaves the rail

cj
04-14-2020, 05:55 PM
And after I watched it again I clearly saw your point of view. Likely only Mr. Fackler knows.

I really respect bullring jocks who ride lame and/or unmanageable horses for peanuts so when I wrote the synopsis after the race I figured he ( the horse)was triyng to lug out. Fackler is also one of the jocks that seems to be racing harder than others so I gave him the pass and figured it was the horse.

Funny, when you said you wouldn't mention a name, his was the first to come to my mind.

Boomer
04-14-2020, 06:01 PM
I wasn't talking about him, but watch his ride in race three where he winds up 3 wide around the turn I am thinking that truely was a stiff ride last week.

moneyandland
04-14-2020, 06:04 PM
Anyone betting Fon is just donating money to a cause, you can make all the excuses you want for every horse/jockey in every race but there no rhyme or reason for anything that happens there. Hope they steal all they can before they go back to $17 in pool

Boomer
04-14-2020, 06:24 PM
Anyone betting Fon is just donating money to a cause, you can make all the excuses you want for every horse/jockey in every race but there no rhyme or reason for anything that happens there. Hope they steal all they can before they go back to $17 in pool

I hear they are running junkets from Saratoga to Fonner this summer.

Afleet
04-14-2020, 06:42 PM
The massive increase in handle at Fonner Park in recent weeks has stakeholders in Nebraska working to extend the meet from its scheduled April 29 closing to the end of May.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Fonner_Park_looks_to_extend_race_meeting_an_additi onal_month_123

jay68802
04-15-2020, 02:28 AM
A fixed race ends up with the favorite winning and the second choice second? With the huge increase in pools, this is the way the jockeys chose to make money? Come on guys, the :2: was not going to beat the :4: after the :4: put 3 lengths on him in the backstretch. The jockey on the :2: got the best finish he could with what he had. He rode for second place, plain and simple.

PaceAdvantage
04-15-2020, 03:17 AM
A fixed race ends up with the favorite winning and the second choice second? With the huge increase in pools, this is the way the jockeys chose to make money? Come on guys, the :2: was not going to beat the :4: after the :4: put 3 lengths on him in the backstretch. The jockey on the :2: got the best finish he could with what he had. He rode for second place, plain and simple.This is a little naive.

And I never said the race was definitely fixed.

I only asked for an opinion as to why a jockey, on a legit contender, would break nicely...secure a great position going into the first turn, on the lead, then just pretty much hammerlock your horse back out of contention down the backstretch....letting your only other major competition inherit the nice easy pacesetters role.

Makes 0 sense. But who knows. Maybe the trainer wanted a ride like that...maybe he likes collecting 2nd place checks.

wisconsin
04-15-2020, 09:15 AM
With the huge increase in pools, this is the way the jockeys chose to make money?

Really? Winning jock gets $420 for that mount, less agent and valet fees.

With larger pools, you can load up and nobody would be the wiser, and seemingly, nobody gets hurt. That Exacta paid $8.60. The pool was over $100k.

These guys know their horses, the competition and what they have to work with.

Believe me, the "fixed" race is the one all jocks are in on, where they all have a ticket, and the winner pays $5.00, and it all looks clean. With large pools, they all get pocket money. Not all of the races are set-up, but I have never seen what I see at Fonner in terms of jockeys not riding to win in certain races.

castaway01
04-15-2020, 09:36 AM
A fixed race ends up with the favorite winning and the second choice second? With the huge increase in pools, this is the way the jockeys chose to make money? Come on guys, the :2: was not going to beat the :4: after the :4: put 3 lengths on him in the backstretch. The jockey on the :2: got the best finish he could with what he had. He rode for second place, plain and simple.

Usually respect your opinion, but it makes a lot more sense that the horses would get bet, doesn't it?

Track Collector
04-15-2020, 12:43 PM
Fonner Park is a nice little track that I was able to visit back in the early 2000's.

And yes, they are enjoying the fruits of being one of the very few tracks running, and it does not hurt that their field sizes are very good. Next year they will see a return to their typical handles, but I wonder if they will keep the Mon-Wed schedule rather than their usual Fri-Sun one.

BTW they are on Derby Wars too.

Yesterday I played a pick 3 for $80.

I was alive in 5 tickets, which would have paid approximately $100, $350, $375, $700, and $1200.

At least I made a few dollars when the $100 combo came in.

Robert Fischer
04-15-2020, 01:06 PM
Enjoyed capping that mandatory p-5 day.

There is some occasional value if you do the work.

Saw some questionable rides, a bad call by the stewards, and horses going in and out of form (something I actually like)...

it's a playable track to throw a few small bets on opinions, and roll the dice

:ThmbUp:

Clocker
04-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Next year they will see a return to their typical handles, but I wonder if they will keep the Mon-Wed schedule rather than their usual Fri-Sun one.

If their bread-and-butter is on-track betting, I'd guess they would have to go back to week-ends to get the attendance.

wisconsin
04-15-2020, 06:02 PM
Fonner's 3rd is what we are talking about. The 9 rolls up to challenge at the top of the stretch and is not persevered with at all.

Looks like the :4: was the chosen horse, NOBODY tried to even get/save 3rd in the stretch except maybe the :1:, almost like every jock had a :4: - all Exacta.

fastfasterfastest
04-15-2020, 06:58 PM
Felt the same way just now watching the 5th. I bet the :6: and although she probably doesn't beat the :1: I don't like the none effort from mid stretch through the wire by the rider.

wisconsin
04-15-2020, 07:18 PM
Felt the same way just now watching the 5th. I bet the :6: and although she probably doesn't beat the :1: I don't like the none effort from mid stretch through the wire by the rider.

Sure looked to me like the rider was tugging the right reign, and once the horse slungshot into 2nd on the turn, that was all you were gonna get.

Not another penny from me.

thaskalos
04-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Worst track in the country...IMO.

wisconsin
04-15-2020, 08:01 PM
The last race is a shining example of what happens when everyone is trying, even the 3rd horse is ridden out to the wire...it so obvious when they are not trying.

Speed Figure
04-15-2020, 08:10 PM
Worst track in the country...IMO.You must really lose at this track! I personally love betting smaller tracks. Fonner has been pretty good for me on horse touneys!

jay68802
04-15-2020, 09:15 PM
You must really lose at this track! I personally love betting smaller tracks. Fonner has been pretty good for me on horse touneys!

Caught the late Double, 1 nice tri, and 4 exactas today. Do not understand the bitching.

Immortal6
04-15-2020, 09:25 PM
Worst track in the country...IMO.

....we get it. You don’t like Fonner. If you somehow ever find yourself in the middle of Nebraska in the spring, I live 20 miles from the track and will glady show you some Nebraska hospitality at the track that will at least move Fonner up from “worst track” to at least “second worse track”. Fonner for 95% of people (outside of this year) is about getting a table with a bunch of your friends and drinking buckets of beer while betting a couple bucks on a name or number of a horse you like. It’s sometimes a welcomed break from the monotonous grind of handicapping races to just head out there and pound a few back and throw in a few bucks into a show parlay with your buddies that know nothing about racing.

jay68802
04-15-2020, 09:36 PM
....we get it. You don’t like Fonner. If you somehow ever find yourself in the middle of Nebraska in the spring, I live 20 miles from the track and will glady show you some Nebraska hospitality at the track that will at least move Fonner up from “worst track” to at least “second worse track”. Fonner for 95% of people (outside of this year) is about getting a table with a bunch of your friends and drinking buckets of beer while betting a couple bucks on a name or number of a horse you like. It’s sometimes a welcomed break from the monotonous grind of handicapping races to just head out there and pound a few back and throw in a few bucks into a show parlay with your buddies that know nothing about racing.

I even drink with people I don't like.:D

classhandicapper
04-17-2020, 10:20 AM
I think I've made 1 or 2 very small bets at Fonner in my life.

One day I was looking at a card for some reason related to work and saw a top speed figure horse that was obviously also going to get loose very easily and that was just claimed by a trainer that was great off the claim last out. I thought the horses was going to be 2/5 or 3/5. I looked at the board and he was 3-1. I thought the price was so ridiculous I assumed there had to be some inside money on the race or there was something I was missing because I didn't know the track, trainers, riders etc.. I bet a few dollars on it anyway. The horse won eased up by over 10 lengths and paid over $8. I don't think I've ever seen a horse misbet that badly in my life at a major track.

AndyC
04-17-2020, 11:48 AM

Having married a woman born and raised in Nebraska I have had the opportunity to visit some NE tracks for the last 35 years. I have been to tracks all over the US and several in Europe but have never been treated better than how I was treated at NE tracks. I'll never forget my first visit to Aksarben when every teller would smile and say thank you after I was through betting. Quite a contrast from the usual gruff tellers I would encounter in CA or NY.

Immortal6
04-17-2020, 10:33 PM
Some people may think it’s fake nicety, or odd that people don’t find it necessary to be rude to strangers but it is just how so many of us are raised here. My parents taught me from a young age that it doesn’t cost anything to be open and welcoming to others. “Nebraska Nice” is a real thing and my offer stands to Thaskalos or any others on this board that they can PM me any time they somehow find their way to Fonner on a cross country road trip and if possible, I will give them a tour of the place, barns included, and buy them a beer.

Honestly, I’ll be glad when Fonner is a blip on the radar again because it means we are over this Covid BS and are back to living our lives.

jay68802
04-17-2020, 10:43 PM
What Immortal6 is saying is true. I am usually at the same table with my friends every weekend. Not shy about buying drinks either. Anyone that finds themselves at Fonner is welcome to look me up also. First time I met Immortal he PM me and asked where I was, my reply was "Sitting at the bar."

cj
04-17-2020, 11:19 PM
Some people may think it’s fake nicety, or odd that people don’t find it necessary to be rude to strangers but it is just how so many of us are raised here. My parents taught me from a young age that it doesn’t cost anything to be open and welcoming to others. “Nebraska Nice” is a real thing and my offer stands to Thaskalos or any others on this board that they can PM me any time they somehow find their way to Fonner on a cross country road trip and if possible, I will give them a tour of the place, barns included, and buy them a beer.

Honestly, I’ll be glad when Fonner is a blip on the radar again because it means we are over this Covid BS and are back to living our lives.

Similar here in OKC and all of Oklahoma. Took some getting used to for someone raised on the east coast but it is part of why I settled here.

thaskalos
04-17-2020, 11:45 PM

Please accept my sincere apology for not giving a prompt reply to your kind response. And, should the travel venues open up again...I just may take you up on your offer. And if Fonner Park doesn't tap me out completely...the second round of drinks is on me. :)

Clocker
04-18-2020, 12:23 AM
I'll never forget my first visit to Aksarben when every teller would smile and say thank you after I was through betting.

Ah, Ak-Sar-Ben. :headbanger:

My first, and perhaps befogged by the passage of time, the top of the list of the ones I'd love to visit today.

clicknow
04-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Caught the late Double, 1 nice tri, and 4 exactas today. Do not understand the bitching.

Jay you often play Fonner even before it was one of few tracks running, right? Thought I've seen you cash some decent pick tickets in the past at Fonner.

I don't follow the track so I don't know about jockeys not trying, but horses at a certain level you probably can't push them too hard anyway, they are already being held together with duct tape.

Boomer
04-20-2020, 12:45 PM

Okay we have us a rematch in race 4 today.

One big difference. J Train gets a major positive jockey change

BIG RED
04-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Ah, Ak-Sar-Ben. :headbanger:

Took me some time to see that was Nebraska spelled backwards :D

AndyC
04-20-2020, 03:39 PM
Took me some time to see that was Nebraska spelled backwards :D

Ironic that a poster with the handle "Big Red" wouldn't pick right up on that.

Mason
04-21-2020, 01:35 PM
When you run cheap claimers at any track, it is always a grab bag of mixed results everytime. Fonner this season has been very consistent when running at the allowance or minor stakes level.

Redbullsnation
04-22-2020, 08:43 PM
Fonner is raking in the cash. For a bullring, this kind of money is relatively rare

Elkchester Road
04-22-2020, 09:49 PM
Nice ride by Armando Martinez on the 4/5 favorite in the 6th race today. I understand things can happen in a race, and certainly can at this tier of racing. Problem is...in the 4 weeks I have been watching this track, this happens a LOT with Martinez.

I understand stuff like this is sometimes part and parcel of the game we are playing. I suppose the games are hidden better at the better tracks.

Armando Martinez is a disease.

Maximillion
04-22-2020, 10:26 PM
For me the issue isnt that its cheap claimers or a bullring........its a short meet with horses you hardly see race anywhere else.If it was a longer meet it would probably be a better product from a betting perspective, and maybe the riders would improve or at least have a chance to attract some better ones.

SG4
04-22-2020, 11:40 PM
Can someone explain something to me - the early pick 5 at Fonner is always listed in charts as "Jackpot pick 5" but only shows a payout, never a carryover. Is the early pick 5 actually jackpot, if so how does it work with the early/late pick 5 rolling over each other, like if there's a sole winner of both the early & late pick 5 is the holder of the late ticket screwed over from any carried over money?

jay68802
04-23-2020, 01:25 AM
Can someone explain something to me - the early pick 5 at Fonner is always listed in charts as "Jackpot pick 5" but only shows a payout, never a carryover. Is the early pick 5 actually jackpot, if so how does it work with the early/late pick 5 rolling over each other, like if there's a sole winner of both the early & late pick 5 is the holder of the late ticket screwed over from any carried over money?

The early P 5 is not a jackpot bet. I has nothing to do with the late P 5.

jay68802
04-23-2020, 01:37 AM
Nice ride by Armando Martinez on the 4/5 favorite in the 6th race today. I understand things can happen in a race, and certainly can at this tier of racing. Problem is...in the 4 weeks I have been watching this track, this happens a LOT with Martinez.

I understand stuff like this is sometimes part and parcel of the game we are playing. I suppose the games are hidden better at the better tracks.

What exactly was wrong with the ride?

therussmeister
04-23-2020, 02:32 AM

Well they just got approved for twelve more days.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/fonner-park-approved-for-12-more-live-racing-dates/

Immortal6
04-23-2020, 12:19 PM

Your own fault betting Starhunter, horse refuses to pass anything. No fault of Armando for his ride. Pretty sure he is still the leading rider there currently and brought home a 25-1 shot in the finale yesterday giving the horse a perfect ride to win the race.

Cuffdaddy
04-23-2020, 01:05 PM
Your own fault betting Starhunter, horse refuses to pass anything. No fault of Armando for his ride. Pretty sure he is still the leading rider there currently and brought home a 25-1 shot in the finale yesterday giving the horse a perfect ride to win the race.

I agree on this, this particular ride by Armando was not worthy of the "diseased" label.

Elkchester Road
04-23-2020, 06:41 PM
What exactly was wrong with the ride?

For starters...missed the break.

Either one or two races before that one, the same thing happened. He was not riding for his Wife in that race. He was favored on the 8 horse. Missed the break and got looped by the 9. Loses by a part of a length to the 9.

Now that I have buried Armando Martinez...some of the Jockeys, in my opinion, do a fine job riding there. Jake Olesiak, Dakota Wood, and Scott Bethke come to mind. Also, Chris Fackler...I read some posts about a non-try by him...but I like him just fine.

I like the racing from Fonner Park, Jay. And Armando Martinez isn't going to change that. :)

Elkchester Road
04-23-2020, 09:02 PM

I never said I bet Starhunter. If I do nothing else right...I don't bet 6 horse fields.

jay68802
04-24-2020, 02:23 AM
For starters...missed the break.

Either one or two races before that one, the same thing happened. He was not riding for his Wife in that race. He was favored on the 8 horse. Missed the break and got looped by the 9. Loses by a part of a length to the 9.

Now that I have buried Armando Martinez...some of the Jockeys, in my opinion, do a fine job riding there. Jake Olesiak, Dakota Wood, and Scott Bethke come to mind. Also, Chris Fackler...I read some posts about a non-try by him...but I like him just fine.

I like the racing from Fonner Park, Jay. And Armando Martinez isn't going to change that. :)

Horse was on the decline, and is not a good breaking horse anyway. Got a great position into the first turn. Drifted out on the final turn, instead of in the stretch as it did in the race before. Cheap horse, and showed it.

Elkchester Road
04-24-2020, 12:55 PM
Horse was on the decline, and is not a good breaking horse anyway. Got a great position into the first turn. Drifted out on the final turn, instead of in the stretch as it did in the race before. Cheap horse, and showed it. Yep. :ThmbUp: