PDA

View Full Version : if you could get into a time machine and see one horse run...

dilanesp
03-24-2020, 08:10 PM
Let's do another of these topics. You each can get in my time machine, go back, and watch one horse from any era that you never got to see run.

I would choose Seabiscuit. In addition to being a legit great horse, the atmosphere at those depression era tracks, with the public attaching itself to this horse a hero, must have been something unique. (Fun fact: my mother saw him run at Santa Anita as a little kid.)

Prytanis
03-24-2020, 08:11 PM
Kelso

Augenj
03-24-2020, 08:14 PM
Man o' War

Seabiscuit a close second

PhantomOnTour
03-24-2020, 08:19 PM
Ruffian

Scanman
03-24-2020, 08:20 PM
Phar Lap

BettinBilly
03-24-2020, 08:26 PM
Dead even for me;

Seabisquit, Man o' War. I wouldn't care which one. Flip a coin. I'd be happy.

If we're talkin' IN PERSON, definitely Secretariat at Belmont. I saw it on TV as a kid, but I would have loved to be at the track. My father made me sit down that Saturday in May, 1973 and watch it with him, telling me "It was History being Made." He was right.

lex
03-24-2020, 08:38 PM
John Henry

I have a thing for cranky horses.

lamboguy
03-24-2020, 08:53 PM
CONQUISTADOR CIELA

Immortal6
03-24-2020, 09:16 PM
1913 Kentucky Derby to put a stack of cash on 91-1 Donerail.

Big Russ
03-24-2020, 09:49 PM
Take the train to Havre de Grace for the 1920 Potomac Handicap to see Man o' War.

dilanesp
03-24-2020, 11:05 PM
John Henry

I saw him several times. At his best he was really something, and quite popular.

Zaf
03-24-2020, 11:07 PM
Sea Biscuit - War Admiral match race :headbanger:

Z

proximity
03-25-2020, 01:10 AM
probably jiva coolit.

hm: sun in action (12-9-70)

track: shenandoah downs

GMB@BP
03-25-2020, 01:17 AM
Forego, only because I had a personal connection to the horse after he retired.

trifecta
03-25-2020, 01:35 AM
Dead even for me;

Seabisquit, Man o' War. I wouldn't care which one. Flip a coin. I'd be happy.

If we're talkin' IN PERSON, definitely Secretariat at Belmont. I saw it on TV as a kid, but I would have loved to be at the track. My father made me sit down that Saturday in May, 1973 and watch it with him, telling me "It was History being Made." He was right.

I was at the Derby in 1973, standing with the crowd on the apron near the 1/16th pole and saw Secretariat go by me (fast) and start to pull away. It was beautiful. After he crossed the finish line I remember looking at the tote board for some reason and noticed the time of 1:59 and 2 and I remember thinking, that's pretty fast.

It didn't occur to me until a year later that Forego was in that same race and finished 4th. I think there were at least three Eclipse Award winners in that Derby: Secretariat, Forego and Shecky Greene. In addition, Sham, Our Native and My Gallant were also in that race. Heck of a field.

I saw it live but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

jay68802
03-25-2020, 02:10 AM
Ruffian

:ThmbUp:

And a midwest icon, Who Doctor Who

pandy
03-25-2020, 07:52 AM
Luckily I saw Ruffian run twice at Aqueduct, and as much as I'd love to relive that moment, I'd pick a horse that I never saw race, either Dr. Fager or Kelso, hard to choose.

mikesal57
03-25-2020, 08:21 AM
Big Red

Was only 15 at the time...and not into horse racing yet

Only 1 time out of the money but ran a hell of a race

classhandicapper
03-25-2020, 08:51 AM
Luckily I saw Ruffian run twice at Aqueduct, and as much as I'd love to relive that moment, I'd pick a horse that I never saw race, either Dr. Fager or Kelso, hard to choose.

I was already a big fan when Ruffian ran but I never saw her live. I mostly used to watch the Frank Wright and Charlsie Cantey show on Saturdays.

For me it would probably be her, the Seabiscuit/War Admiral match race, Dr. Fager, or Zenyatta (who I never got to see).

Someone mentioned Forego. I saw him plenty of times. He was usually running past the horse I bet. :lol:

rastajenk
03-25-2020, 09:10 AM
I was at Keeneland in 2002 for the Seabiscuit-War Admiral match race, so I've seen that one already....:eek: ;)

I cast another vote for Ruffian. :ThmbUp:

BettinBilly
03-25-2020, 09:53 AM
I was at the Derby in 1973, standing with the crowd on the apron near the 1/16th pole and saw Secretariat go by me (fast) and start to pull away. It was beautiful. After he crossed the finish line I remember looking at the tote board for some reason and noticed the time of 1:59 and 2 and I remember thinking, that's pretty fast.

It didn't occur to me until a year later that Forego was in that same race and finished 4th. I think there were at least three Eclipse Award winners in that Derby: Secretariat, Forego and Shecky Greene. In addition, Sham, Our Native and My Gallant were also in that race. Heck of a field.

I saw it live but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Thank you for posting this. I can't even imagine being at any of the Triple Crown races where Secretariat ran. I'd certainly settle for The Derby. You are a lucky man to have that memory. Thanks for sharing it.

Again, I have to thank my late father (RIP) for making his young son sit and watch the coverage of Secretariat at Belmont. I remember I didn't want to. I wanted to go outside and play baseball with my friends. He insisted, and I can't thank him enough for that. At least I saw it live on TV. Our first color TV that was brand new at that time. That memory is better than nothing. But if I had actually been at the track? That would have been incredible.

Big Russ
03-25-2020, 10:29 AM
probably jiva coolit.

hm: sun in action (12-9-70)

track: shenandoah downs

Awesome!

airford1
03-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Roundtable

trifecta
03-25-2020, 12:20 PM
Thank you for posting this. I can't even imagine being at any of the Triple Crown races where Secretariat ran. I'd certainly settle for The Derby. You are a lucky man to have that memory. Thanks for sharing it.

Again, I have to thank my late father (RIP) for making his young son sit and watch the coverage of Secretariat at Belmont. I remember I didn't want to. I wanted to go outside and play baseball with my friends. He insisted, and I can't thank him enough for that. At least I saw it live on TV. Our first color TV that was brand new at that time. That memory is better than nothing. But if I had actually been at the track? That would have been incredible.

Thank you for your comments.

It sounds like your father was very aware of the historical significance of that Belmont race. I'm glad he was able to convince you to watch. You certainly did see history in the making.

foregoforever
03-25-2020, 12:41 PM
Why go to see just one?

Damascus, Dr. Fager and Buckpasser at the 1967 Woodward.

v j stauffer
03-25-2020, 12:55 PM

And a midwest icon, Who Doctor Who

I was lucky enough to see Who Doctor Who run many times. Even called him once ( a loss ) at the Woodlands. He was a total ROCKSTAR.

v j stauffer
03-25-2020, 12:56 PM
SILKY SULLIVAN

dilanesp
03-25-2020, 01:30 PM
SILKY SULLIVAN

That may actually be the correct answer.

classhandicapper
03-25-2020, 03:27 PM
SILKY SULLIVAN

That was one of my father's favorite horses.

Nice one!

castaway01
03-25-2020, 03:41 PM
SILKY SULLIVAN

Good call. I'm a sucker for those deep closers too.

thaskalos
03-25-2020, 04:16 PM
My favorite horse of all time is an Illinois-bred that hardly anyone knows anything about. A black gelding by the name of Jeremy Jet. I was there when the horse won his initial start by 10 lengths...and I was also there at every other Illinois start that this horse ever made. He was the first "great" horse that I ever saw. He looked fast even when standing still. This horse won the Hawthorne Derby in 1981 at odds of 10-1...easily holding off an Arkansas invader whose name I have long forgotten. I have never screamed as loud since. And, if I am sitting here at the age of 58 handicapping the 5th race at Will Rogers Downs...it's probably because of that black blur of a horse.

I would love to go back and see Jeremy Jet trounce that field again. And to whisper a thing or two to that wild-eyed 20-year old screaming in the stands. Where has the time gone...? :(

Prytanis
03-25-2020, 04:29 PM
Seen Jeremy Jet race in NY
Remember the name

Blenheim
03-25-2020, 04:44 PM
Back in time . . . 1854, Metairie Race Course, Louisiana: Lexington -vs- Lecomte in the Great Post Stakes.

~

Forward in time . . . 2020, Churchill Downs, Kentucky: Andie Biancone's Sole Volante passes Ete Indien and Nadal to win the Kentucky Derby. :cool:

rastajenk
03-25-2020, 05:07 PM
My favorite horse of all time is an Illinois-bred that hardly anyone knows anything about. A black gelding by the name of Jeremy Jet.
Something about that name sounded familiar, so I looked him up.
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=744028&registry=T&rbt=TB
I can't say why it rang a bell: maybe he earned a headline in the DRF, or got a mention in the "Around the Ovals" roundup back then. He was definitely an Illinois mainstay for a long time when I was getting the Midwest version of the Form every day.

His third-to-last start was at Beulah when I was working there. He must have been 13 that year. The link has the chart (but no charts prior), and there are some familiar (human) names on that chart. Then he went to Prairie Meadows, and finally to Mt Pleasant Meadows in Michigan; kind of an ignominious conclusion, but what a trooper. I loved those kind back then. I would love them these days if there were any. Good one, thask.

Back to the matter at hand, I considered mentioning Silky Sullivan, but went with the speed instead. :cool:

Elkchester Road
03-25-2020, 08:16 PM
My Horse to see would be a great Racer named Precisionist (shout out to dilanesp :)). Multiple Graded Stakes winner in the early '80s and the 1985 Breeder's Cup Sprint winner. He won many important races on both dirt and turf (not uncommon at the time, especially in California). He was owned by Fred W. Hooper.

Precisionist had many knockdown battles on both surfaces with another great Horse at the time named Greinton. I was able to see highlights of these races then on a local Racing show on Saturday mornings in Lexington, KY that was hosted by John Henderson. They "threw it down" many times in front of huge live crowds with a lot of money wagered. Great times then. :)

Tom
03-25-2020, 08:43 PM
Why go to see just one?

Damascus, Dr. Fager and Buckpasser at the 1967 Woodward.

That's the ticket!
I followed that crop vis the Morning Telegraph articles in Saturday's papers, but only got snippets of the races on TV.

dilanesp
03-25-2020, 09:08 PM
My Horse to see would be a great Racer named Precisionist (shout out to dilanesp :)). Multiple Graded Stakes winner in the early '80s and the 1985 Breeder's Cup Sprint winner. He won many important races on both dirt and turf (not uncommon at the time, especially in California). He was owned by Fred W. Hooper.

Precisionist had many knockdown battles on both surfaces with another great Horse at the time named Greinton. I was able to see highlights of these races then on a local Racing show on Saturday mornings in Lexington, KY that was hosted by John Henderson. They "threw it down" many times in front of huge live crowds with a lot of money wagered. Great times then. :)

They met 8 times and ran 1-2 seven of them. Ran some very fast one turn miles at Hollywood Park.

Probably the best race was the 1985 Strub, with those two and Gate Dancer in a 3 horse driving finish. Precisionist won.

He also went to New York and buried Lady's Secret, the HOTY, while running off Lasix.

jimmyb
03-25-2020, 09:12 PM
Moms Command

Elkchester Road
03-25-2020, 10:24 PM
They met 8 times and ran 1-2 seven of them. Ran some very fast one turn miles at Hollywood Park.

Probably the best race was the 1985 Strub, with those two and Gate Dancer in a 3 horse driving finish. Precisionist won.

He also went to New York and buried Lady's Secret, the HOTY, while running off Lasix.

Absolutely. That same year, 1985, when Precisionist won the Breeder's Cup Sprint, he did so off an almost 4 month layoff.

Nitro
03-25-2020, 10:57 PM
Back in the 70’s (I call the Decade of Champions) I was a track regular. At the time I was an avid speed handicapper and a big fan who witnessed of many of the horses already mentioned so far who ran in NY during that era. That being said I find it difficult to come up with any horses during that time that I haven’t seen. I guess that era spoiled me.

Some of the really great horses that I’ve heard and read a lot about but unfortunately never saw were: Count Fleet, War Admiral, Dr Fager, Buckpasser, Kelso, Ribot, Citation, and Man O’ War to name a few I can recall.

I think the best and most competitive horse race I’ve ever witnessed was the Marlboro Cup Stakes @ Belmont where Forego beat Honest Pleasure at the wire. Talk about Closers! I was at the rail watching and listening to the thunder of that monster’s hoofs driving wide down the stretch! Something I'll never forget.

ReplayRandall
03-25-2020, 11:36 PM
My favorite horse of all time is an Illinois-bred that hardly anyone knows anything about. A black gelding by the name of Jeremy Jet.

I would love to go back and see Jeremy Jet trounce that field again. And to whisper a thing or two to that wild-eyed 20-year old screaming in the stands. Where has the time gone...? :( The jock who rode him was Cliff Scott and his trainer was Carlos Silva, when he won the Hawthorne Derby.

thaskalos
03-25-2020, 11:48 PM
The jock who rode him was Cliff Scott and his trainer was Carlos Silva, when he won the Hawthorne Derby.

The TRAINER was Clifford Scott...and the JOCKEY was Carlos Silva.

ReplayRandall
03-25-2020, 11:50 PM
The TRAINER was Clifford Scott...and the JOCKEY was Carlos Silva.Yep, got'em backwards, just like my picks....Par for the course lately....:blush:

pandy
03-26-2020, 08:01 AM
Agree with the Silky Sullivan fans, love watching that video where he comes on from another zip code.

CheckMark
03-26-2020, 09:27 AM
Top 2:
Secretariat by far

Seabiscuit since he was a hero during the Great Depression

Others are:
Seattle Slew
Barbaro (was alive in 2006 but do not remember the Derby or Preakness)
Zenyatta (again was alive but would like to go back into time)
Affirmed
Winx
AP-American Pharaoh(I was playing my football game when my parents we jumping up and down since he won on the sidelines :lol: )

biggestal99
03-26-2020, 10:14 AM
Since I saw forego and ruffian run, (my top two)

I’d go back to 1918 and see exterminator win the derby @ 30-1

99 starts-50 wins.

Allan

lefty359
03-26-2020, 01:26 PM
CITATION. I was just a kid when he was running. No TV back then.

Maximillion
03-26-2020, 08:06 PM
The TRAINER was Clifford Scott...and the JOCKEY was Carlos Silva.

The horse is before my time but i remember seeing the trainer many times when I did go to the track.I always thought he was a pro gambler or something -he certainly looked the part.

mountainman
03-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Let's do another of these topics. You each can get in my time machine, go back, and watch one horse from any era that you never got to see run.

I would choose Seabiscuit. In addition to being a legit great horse, the atmosphere at those depression era tracks, with the public attaching itself to this horse a hero, must have been something unique. (Fun fact: my mother saw him run at Santa Anita as a little kid.)

I knew TWO oldtimers that each contended Seabiscuit was a 'MACHINE' horse and that the alarm clock used in the movie was a euphemism for electrical device.

mountainman
03-26-2020, 08:33 PM
John Henry

I witnessed his win in the 80 (81?) Oak Tree at Santa Anita. The heart and guts that trademarked him were needed and on vivid display that day. Chills. Still.

I was later gifted with one of his halters-tattered, used, authentic, and complete with name-plate-and gave it to my brother. Gary was also at Santa Anita that day, and considers the halter his most precious possession.

dilanesp
03-26-2020, 11:14 PM
I witnessed his win in the 80 (81?) Oak Tree at Santa Anita. The heart and guts that trademarked him were needed and on vivid display that day. Chills. Still.

I was later gifted with one of his halters-tattered, used, authentic, and complete with name-plate-and gave it to my brother. Gary was also at Santa Anita that day, and considers the halter his most precious possession.

That was probably 1981. He was passed by a horse named Spence Bay in the stretch. Looked beaten. Came back and won.

https://youtu.be/_6GnMbAu2lc