PDA

View Full Version : still 10 people in the winners' circle in the La. Derby

dilanesp
03-21-2020, 06:04 PM
Racing still isn't learning anything. While everyone else is careful about social distancing (at the supermarket today, there were markings on the floor where I was supposed to stand in line, 6 feet behind the person in front of me), we are still crowding people into the winner's circle for photos.

It wasn't as bad as the 30 people in the Rebel winner's circle, but it was dangerous nonetheless.

Racing should BAN winner's circle photos until this is over. Nobody should risk a deadly virus just to take a photo.

PaceAdvantage
03-21-2020, 06:30 PM
genug!

Tom
03-22-2020, 12:15 PM
Actually, that is a good point.

It just creating fodders for the anti-racing people to point a finger and demand ALL tracks shut down for being irresponsible.

Nothing important EVER happened at a racetrack. That is the bottom line, no matter how much WE like racing.

elhelmete
03-22-2020, 12:18 PM
Nothing important EVER happened at a racetrack. That is the bottom line, no matter how much WE like racing.

If that's the criteria, I have a whole list of things that could/should go away, even after corona subsides.

dilanesp
03-22-2020, 12:32 PM
I just think if we are going to race we have to be scrupulous about stuff like this. How arrogant are racetracks and owners being when they think a pretty picture is more important than public health?

Politicians will shut us down if we act like this. Let's not be stupid. Eliminate the winner's circle.

castaway01
03-22-2020, 12:56 PM
I just think if we are going to race we have to be scrupulous about stuff like this. How arrogant are racetracks and owners being when they think a pretty picture is more important than public health?

Politicians will shut us down if we act like this. Let's not be stupid. Eliminate the winner's circle.

If you think politicians are currently counting whether winner's circle photos have 9 or 10 people in them, you're crazy. Is that blunt enough?

All racetracks will soon be shut down for an extended period of time, like everything else, but not because of winner's circle photos.

Tom
03-22-2020, 01:16 PM
If you think politicians are currently counting whether winner's circle photos have 9 or 10 people in them, you're crazy. Is that blunt enough?

All racetracks will soon be shut down for an extended period of time, like everything else, but not because of winner's circle photos.

Bet PETA is.

thaskalos
03-22-2020, 01:30 PM

I agree. The owners know that the few remaining tracks will close soon...so, they are taking a few pictures while they still can.

Clocker
03-22-2020, 01:37 PM
If you think politicians are currently counting whether winner's circle photos have 9 or 10 people in them, you're crazy.

I agree. How many politicians will ever even see those pictures, let alone be able to count the number of people in them?

dilanesp
03-22-2020, 02:14 PM

I think the moment someone posts a winners circle photo on social media or someone in a photo tests positive, this is going to backfire.

And no, I actually do think racing might be able to proceed at a low level if we are super-clean.

PaceAdvantage
03-22-2020, 02:18 PM
And no, I actually do think racing might be able to proceed at a low level if we are super-clean.Impossible on all counts given the current state of things.

Also, what the hell is super-clean? And at a racetrack? :lol:

dilanesp
03-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Impossible on all counts given the current state of things.

Also, what the hell is super-clean? And at a racetrack? :lol:

I mean, if we can convince the public that the sport's protocols are preventing any gatherings of 10 people anywhere at a racetrack, we can keep going.

Now note, part of the problem here is big races. You can't have network television under those protocols, you can't have TVG's normal production, you can't have owners on track at all, and you can't have winner's circle presentations. And people are going to push back on those things with big races.

But if racing could somehow make those rules and make them stick, we may not get shut down.

ultracapper
03-22-2020, 04:06 PM
I'm amazed SA is still going. Loving every second of it and crossed fingers that they're able to keep going, whether because of good news on the medical front or because they just keep convincing whom ever they have to convince to let them keep on keeping on.

thaskalos
03-22-2020, 04:29 PM
The gatherings were initially supposed to be of 50 people or less. The infected number increased, and this brought about the new reduced crowd sizes of 10. As the infected people continue to increase in number...the gatherings will be reduced to 5, and go down from there. The tracks are on borrowed time...and they know it. This is a failed experiment...no matter what anybody does.

dilanesp
03-22-2020, 04:38 PM
I'm amazed SA is still going. Loving every second of it and crossed fingers that they're able to keep going, whether because of good news on the medical front or because they just keep convincing whom ever they have to convince to let them keep on keeping on.

Part of it is we have suddenly become economically important again.

The_Turf_Monster
03-22-2020, 04:54 PM
Between the jockeys, gate crew, state vets (this will be the killer imo), outriders, and starter, there are more than 10 people gathered at the start of every race in America. As much as I'd like to keep playing, I know it's on borrowed time. Think about your routes where you need surplus gate crew to move it off the track as soon as the race goes off - there has to be 20 people gathered at the gate at minimum