PDA

View Full Version : Sam Houston race 7 - how come not "running for purse money only"?

jameegray1
03-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Excuse my ignorance on this...

The 1 horse American League won the race following the late scratch of the coupled 1A at the gate. Usually one of a coupled set being scratched late results in the partner horse running for purse money only which didnt seem to happen on this occasion. Anyone shed any light as to why?

cj
03-17-2020, 04:20 PM
Excuse my ignorance on this...

The 1 horse American League won the race following the late scratch of the coupled 1A at the gate. Usually one of a coupled set being scratched late results in the partner horse running for purse money only which didnt seem to happen on this occasion. Anyone shed any light as to why?

Pretty sure NYRA (maybe all of New York?) are the only ones that do that. I think that is what should be done personally but not everyone agrees.

Prytanis
03-17-2020, 04:35 PM
NYRA does that and i think NJ too

I was at the Med,many yrs ago,and there was a riot at the track, ppl setting garbage cans on fire,when a very short favorite .part of an entry with Cordero up was scratched at the gate ,at 1/9 or about

So that is how that came to be

jameegray1
03-17-2020, 04:39 PM
Thanks. Another complication to look out for! :bang:

cj
03-17-2020, 04:44 PM
This could have turned out a lot differently if the :1: had been the horse scratched instead of the :1a:.

castaway01
03-17-2020, 05:52 PM

I was at the Med,many yrs ago,and there was a riot at the track, ppl setting garbage cans on fire,when a very short favorite .part of an entry with Cordero up was scratched at the gate ,at 1/9 or about

That's not at all true, but it's a good story.

Prytanis
03-17-2020, 06:00 PM
What is not true?

wisconsin
03-17-2020, 06:01 PM
Everyone should understand that this is a rule of the New York State Gaming Commission, not NYRA, so it’s good to get the facts right. The rule exists to protect bettors who may have been focused on a stronger part of the entry. Applies to late scratches only, not scratches at scratch time.

Personally, I hate that rule, and I am willing to bet NYRA does too.

cj
03-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Everyone should understand that this is a rule of the New York State Gaming Commission, not NYRA, so it’s good to get the facts right. The rule exists to protect bettors who may have been focused on a stronger part of the entry. Applies to late scratches only, not scratches at scratch time.

Personally, I hate that rule, and I am willing to bet NYRA does too.

Why would you hate it?

Like I said, in the case of today, it would have looked much worse if the other part of the entry had scratched as opposed to the much weaker half.

cj
03-17-2020, 06:10 PM
That's not at all true, but it's a good story.

Posts like this serve no purpose if you aren't going to say why. Thanks.

affirmedny
03-17-2020, 06:12 PM

I was there as well.

affirmedny
03-17-2020, 06:20 PM
Not too many years ago, there was a riot at the Meadowlands, caused by the scratching of a heavy favorite, ridden by Angel Cordero,

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-08-14-sp-6981-story.html

cj
03-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Not too many years ago, there was a riot at the Meadowlands, caused by the scratching of a heavy favorite, ridden by Angel Cordero,

Not too many years ago? It was 1986! :)

castaway01
03-17-2020, 06:25 PM
Posts like this serve no purpose if you aren't going to say why. Thanks.

There was no riot at the Meadowlands after Cordero was scratched, he said there was. There was a riot there after the Iron Maiden concert in 1987. The harness racing riot was at Roosevelt in 1963.

Sorry it "serves no purpose", sort of tough to argue with a fictional statement.

cj
03-17-2020, 06:28 PM

This article is about the wrong horse being declared the winner and the state head steward being "exiled" to Finger Lakes. But, from the article:

Not too many years ago, there was a riot at the Meadowlands, caused by the scratching of a heavy favorite, ridden by Angel Cordero, at the starting gate. The horse was part of an entry, and the bettors were stuck with a much less desirable runner because of the scratch.

The crowd stormed the mutuel windows, forcing track management to cancel the races and close the plant for the evening.

cj
03-17-2020, 06:29 PM
There was no riot at the Meadowlands after Cordero was scratched, he said there was. There was a riot there after the Iron Maiden concert in 1987. The harness racing riot was at Roosevelt in 1963.

Sorry it "serves no purpose", sort of tough to argue with a fictional statement.

Well, it is in print. Maybe he was correct?

Prytanis
03-17-2020, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the link

deelo
03-17-2020, 06:45 PM
Purse money only rule makes sense to protect against a one-sided entry in that case. But the part that's still broken (unless it's been recently changed) is no consolation for that scratch. I seen a guy blow his top once with the 2A/2B singled in the last leg and after the gate scratch the remaining 2 won for fun. However, he was paid $0 for his winning pick 5 ticket.

wisconsin
03-17-2020, 06:48 PM
Why would you hate it?

Like I said, in the case of today, it would have looked much worse if the other part of the entry had scratched as opposed to the much weaker half.

The horse running for purse money only can get involved in a pace duel, or cause unintended interference affecting the outcome. Just my opinion.

cj
03-17-2020, 06:50 PM
The horse running for purse money only can get involved in a pace duel, or cause unintended interference affecting the outcome. Just my opinion.

Absolutely they are part of the race, but that horse at least isn't a surprise entrant. You knew it would be in the race beforehand. Imagine betting that horse today and getting stuck with the 1A instead of the 1 at 3-5 no less. Not like there was much time to cancel bets.

cj
03-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Purse money only rule makes sense to protect against a one-sided entry in that case. But the part that's still broken (unless it's been recently changed) is no consolation for that scratch. I seen a guy blow his top once with the 2A/2B singled in the last leg and after the gate scratch the remaining 2 won for fun. However, he was paid $0 for his winning pick 5 ticket.

That is the downside. There is no perfect way to handle this. That said, this case is much more rare than the other.

affirmedny
03-17-2020, 08:36 PM
Not too many years ago? It was 1986! :)

the text is pulled from the article

affirmedny
03-17-2020, 08:42 PM
A comment from a Colin's Ghost post:

John Manley says:
January 12, 2010 at 1:55 am
Early 1980s, a weeknight at Meadowlands Racetrack in New Jersey . . .

A Jack Van Berg entry (maidens, I think) goes to the post as the heavy favorites; one half of the entry is ridden by a 10-pound bug; the other half is ridden by Angel Cordero, Jr.

Cordero’s mount (the well meant half of the entry) scratches at the gate, leaving the bugboy with the balance of the public’s money riding on his shoulders.

Of course, bugboy’s mount is nowhere near the front as the horses pass under the wire. With Cordero’s reputation for alleged chicanery, the cynics in the crowd became vociferous about the turn of events that cost them a lot of money.

That’s when the stewards made a big mistake in response to the increasingly restive nature of the attendees.

After the race had been made official and many tickets discarded, the stewards declared the entire Van Berg entry a non-starter for wagering purposes, with refunds available for anyone who could produce a losing ticket on that entry.

Naturally, most such tickets had been discarded and were now resting in garbage receptacles. And several such garbage bins had been set on fire before the stewards’ reversal was announced.

So, you had the spectacle of spectators laying claim to garbage bags (which might contain lost tickets) at the same time as maintenance personnel were hustling to remove such bags from sight so as to prevent more fires. I actually witnessed a “fan” and a maintenance person having a tug of war over a Hefty® bag; one of the most enduring memories of my three decades whiled away at racetracks.

This event was solely responsible for the rule now in effect at many tracks whereby an entry runs for purse money only if one-half of the entry scratches after wagering has begun.
http://colinsghost.org/2009/12/horse-players-riot-at-suffolk-downs-1945.html