PDA

View Full Version : Derby announcement to come 3-17 (Now set for 9-5)

cj
03-16-2020, 04:10 PM
https://twitter.com/DRFHegarty/status/1239644718167883776

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 04:22 PM
https://twitter.com/DRFHegarty/status/1239644718167883776

This is not good. "Timing" means they are going to try and run it. Greed is prevailing over public health.

(Perverse counterpoint- if moving the Derby means the Preakness gets moved and gets held at Laurel, thus completely screwing over the Baltimore city officials, I guess I might take some pleasure in that.)

cj
03-16-2020, 04:25 PM
This is not good. "Timing" means they are going to try and run it. Greed is prevailing over public health.

(Perverse counterpoint- if moving the Derby means the Preakness gets moved and gets held at Laurel, thus completely screwing over the Baltimore city officials, I guess I might take some pleasure in that.)

I mean, they might run it in September. Don't see how that is bad, do you?

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 04:28 PM
I mean, they might run it in September. Don't see how that is bad, do you?

We have no idea if a big event can be held then. Also, we have no idea if prep races can be staged in the months prior.

Robert Fischer
03-16-2020, 04:36 PM
This is not good. "Timing" means they are going to try and run it.

We have no idea if a big event can be held then.

Obviously, if it can't be run at the date announced tomorrow, they will OBVIOUSLY reschedule again. :)

maybe you should protest for racing to be immediately abolished until further notice :)

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 04:49 PM
Obviously, if it can't be run at the date announced tomorrow, they will OBVIOUSLY reschedule again. :)

maybe you should protest for racing to be immediately abolished until further notice :)

I thonk it should be.

I guess what NYRA is doing is OK. But no way should there be a Kentucky Derby this year.

cj
03-16-2020, 04:50 PM
We have no idea if a big event can be held then. Also, we have no idea if prep races can be staged in the months prior.

That is fine, but just saying it is re-scheduled for a much later date isn't going to hurt anything. If anything it helps the other tracks by doing it in advance.

If it turns out it still isn't feasible in the coming months, so be it. But there really is no point in just canceling it now.

NTamm1215
03-16-2020, 05:09 PM
I thonk it should be.

I guess what NYRA is doing is OK. But no way should there be a Kentucky Derby this year.

So they should cancel it and tell their shareholders to piss off instead of prudently moving it to September, when any medical expert would tell you the virus should be a memory?

Whether you (or anyone) likes it or not, CDI is obligated to act in the best interests of their shareholders. We have all been hurt by that as racing fans in the past. In this case, they’re doing exactly the right thing.

tholl
03-16-2020, 05:25 PM
So they should cancel it and tell their shareholders to piss off instead of prudently moving it to September, when any medical expert would tell you the virus should be a memory?

Whether you (or anyone) likes it or not, CDI is obligated to act in the best interests of their shareholders. We have all been hurt by that as racing fans in the past. In this case, they’re doing exactly the right thing.

Exactly right. Who knows, it might turn out to be the best KY Derby ever.

Tom
03-16-2020, 05:31 PM

Of course they can, this is not rocket science.
Travers and Haskel might be preps this year, but it is nonsense to say it can't be done.

Probably be the best Derby ever.
More 3yos are better in the fall than in May.

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 06:25 PM

Everyone including shareholders are obligated to act in the best interest of public health. This is not optional- check the stock market right now; plenty of shareholders are losing money. No reason CDI shareholders should be exempt.

We have ZERO idea if the virus "should be a memory" in September. But also, September means preps in August and July. And we REALLY have zero idea that the virus should be a memory in July.

It isn't responsible to be scheduling events right now. No other sports league is doing this. As I said, if you want to have low level racing at Aqueduct with very few people present, and that can be done without exceeding CDC recommendations (no more than 10 people in any small space), that's fine. But the 2020 Derby should never happen.

Michael
03-16-2020, 06:35 PM

for someone who wants to yell fiduciary duty... if you're following a pecking order... I would visit the thread regarding the twinspires platform way before worrying about this years derby.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2020, 06:36 PM
But the 2020 Derby should never happen.One day, people are going to look back on all that has happened in the last week and just shake their heads at how high the nonsense meter went.

azeri98
03-16-2020, 06:49 PM
Everyone including shareholders are obligated to act in the best interest of public health. This is not optional- check the stock market right now; plenty of shareholders are losing money. No reason CDI shareholders should be exempt.

We have ZERO idea if the virus "should be a memory" in September. But also, September means preps in August and July. And we REALLY have zero idea that the virus should be a memory in July.

It isn't responsible to be scheduling events right now. No other sports league is doing this. As I said, if you want to have low level racing at Aqueduct with very few people present, and that can be done without exceeding CDC recommendations (no more than 10 people in any small space), that's fine. But the 2020 Derby should never happen.

CDI makes their year off Derby/Oaks weekend. If they cancel it, it would kill their purses for the whole year at every track they own.

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 06:53 PM
CDI makes their year off Derby/Oaks weekend. If they cancel it, it would kill their purses for the whole year at every track they own.

I think it is fair to say that the NCAA makes its year off the NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament. And yet- they canceled it. Because they understood, ultimately, that their obligation was to public health, not their own bottom line.

Track Phantom
03-16-2020, 06:54 PM
One day, people are going to look back on all that has happened in the last week and just shake their heads at how high the nonsense meter went.
Research the 1918-20 Spanish Flu. You'd be surprised how many thought it was not a big deal when it started to spread. 50 million people died from it. There is precedence that this is what it looks like.

MONEY
03-16-2020, 07:04 PM
One day, people are going to look back on all that has happened in the last week and just shake their heads at how high the nonsense meter went.
I hope that this statement comes true.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2020, 07:05 PM
Research the 1918-20 Spanish Flu. You'd be surprised how many thought it was not a big deal when it started to spread. 50 million people died from it. There is precedence that this is what it looks like.The Spanish Flu had a much higher death rate than is generally reported. Interesting people keep comparing C19 to that...

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-is-nothing-like-the-spanish-flu/

"A popular refrain is that the new coronavirus has a frighteningly high fatality rate of at least 2 percent, which is supposedly comparable to that of the 1918 influenza pandemic, also known as the Spanish flu—one of the deadliest viral outbreaks in history. The truth is that this comparison is severely flawed and that the numbers it relies on are almost certainly wrong."

cj
03-16-2020, 07:09 PM
I think it is fair to say that the NCAA makes its year off the NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament. And yet- they canceled it. Because they understood, ultimately, that their obligation was to public health, not their own bottom line.

The NCAA also can't do it in September so they really didn't have a choice. Timing has a lot to do with things. What is the difference of the NBA not announcing a date (which, by the way, CD hasn't either) and hoping to finish the season and offering a possible date in the future when you hope to resume?

Elkchester Road
03-16-2020, 08:02 PM
Absolute truth.

Deepcloser1
03-16-2020, 08:15 PM
Courier Journal throwing around Derby @ Sept. 02 NBC football contracts crossing paths.Breeders Cup upcoming.On and On more problems.Re Schedule not only the Derby but NBA MLB what a nightmare.When they Canceled March Madness last Thursday that put all this in perspective on the seriousness real quick for me.Hopefully we all just get thru this..

tbwinner
03-16-2020, 08:15 PM
Rumor is first weekend in September. Someone on Twitter posted all the Marriotts are booked up for 9/3 to 9/6 in Lou.

Deepcloser1
03-16-2020, 08:16 PM
Sept 05 My Bad

azeri98
03-16-2020, 08:55 PM

They make much more off Football than basketball, try again. The NCAA is not a company either. You have noticed none of the professional leagues have cancelled their season. The Masters was also postponed not cancelled

Onion Monster
03-16-2020, 09:01 PM
No mud for a change then. It didn't rain once here last September.

TMQ
03-16-2020, 09:44 PM
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/roses-in-september-kentucky-derby-to-be-held-labor-day-weekend/

Labor day weekend

dilanesp
03-17-2020, 08:13 AM
The Spanish Flu had a much higher death rate than is generally reported. Interesting people keep comparing C19 to that...

"A popular refrain is that the new coronavirus has a frighteningly high fatality rate of at least 2 percent, which is supposedly comparable to that of the 1918 influenza pandemic, also known as the Spanish flu—one of the deadliest viral outbreaks in history. The truth is that this comparison is severely flawed and that the numbers it relies on are almost certainly wrong."

The Spanish flu came at a time where secondary bacterial infection was a big problem.

But the bug itself was actually more similar than you are saying.

dilanesp
03-17-2020, 08:15 AM
They make much more off Football than basketball, try again. The NCAA is not a company either. You have noticed none of the professional leagues have cancelled their season. The Masters was also postponed not cancelled

No professional league has rescheduled either.

And no, the NCAA doesn't run the football playoff or receive the revenue. Basketball is their cash cow.

RunForTheRoses
03-17-2020, 08:31 AM
I think this will be a lot of fun at this different date, after all this bs has passed ppl will want to let loose. Hopefully, we will all have some money.

dilanesp
03-17-2020, 08:40 AM
I think this will be a lot of fun at this different date, after all this bs has passed ppl will want to let loose. Hopefully, we will all have some money.

What's probably most amazing is the futility of this. No, the Derby is highly unlikely to be run on Labor Day Weekend. They are just getting people's hopes up to dash them later (and cause a secondary shock to Louisville's economy when everything gets canceled again).

azeri98
03-17-2020, 09:52 AM
No professional league has rescheduled either.

And no, the NCAA doesn't run the football playoff or receive the revenue. Basketball is their cash cow.

Who receives the revenue for the NCAA football championship? It's NCAA teams playing in it.

Tom
03-17-2020, 10:20 AM
Research the 1918-20 Spanish Flu. You'd be surprised how many thought it was not a big deal when it started to spread. 50 million people died from it. There is precedence that this is what it looks like.

Smithsonian Channel had a special in that Sunday night - it took off like wildfire, and press was literally muzzled from reporting about it due ti needing an army for WWI. they dubbed it the Spanish Flue because Spain, neutral in the war, allowed their press to print about it.

What was scary is that a derivative of it that started once we got to France was even worse!

Worth watching.....nothing else going on! :rolleyes:

Peter Berry
03-17-2020, 10:52 AM
The West Virginia Derby, at a mile and an eighth and now five weeks before the Kentucky Derby, sits nicely on the racing schedule as a prep race, especially if CDI can free up some KD bonus points.

dilanesp
03-17-2020, 10:58 AM
Who receives the revenue for the NCAA football championship? It's NCAA teams playing in it.

Yeah, but it flows completely outside of the NCAA. The NCAA needs that basketball tournament to cover its expenses, which are quite large (because they run all the championships in the non-revenue sports, as well as compliance and enforcement).

dilanesp
03-17-2020, 10:59 AM
The West Virginia Derby, at a mile and an eighth and now five weeks before the Kentucky Derby, sits nicely on the racing schedule as a prep race, especially if CDI can free up some KD bonus points.

I wouldn't count on that race running either.

cj
03-17-2020, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't count on that race running either.

You have yet to say what is the harm in scheduling the race well in the future. The NBA has not canceled their season. Neither has the NHL or MLB. No, they haven't set dates either, but they are certainly going to try to resume and finish. I'll also add that if scheduling a re-start in September was option, they probably would. But it isn't really feasible for those leagues. It comes down to timing.

If it turns out the Derby can't be run in September, so be it and nobody is hurt. If it is, great. But it would be ridiculous to cancel the event now. Nobody knows how this is all going to unfold but hitting the self-destruct button now serves no purpose at all. And trust me, I'm being as safe as anyone out there, probably more so then 99.99% of people. But I'm not going to project that six months from now.

snappit
03-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Racing in the UK suspended from Wednesday until the end of April.

cj
03-17-2020, 12:59 PM
You have yet to say what is the harm in scheduling the race well in the future. The NBA has not canceled their season. Neither has the NHL or MLB. No, they haven't set dates either, but they are certainly going to try to resume and finish. I'll also add that if scheduling a re-start in September was option, they probably would. But it isn't really feasible for those leagues. It comes down to timing.

If it turns out the Derby can't be run in September, so be it and nobody is hurt. If it is, great. But it would be ridiculous to cancel the event now. Nobody knows how this is all going to unfold but hitting the self-destruct button now serves no purpose at all. And trust me, I'm being as safe as anyone out there, probably more so then 99.99% of people. But I'm not going to project that six months from now.

https://twitter.com/rolandgarros/status/1239941584789155846

castaway01
03-17-2020, 01:03 PM
I know it gives us something other than the virus to talk about, but they could schedule the Derby for July, September, or 2021 and it means literally zero right now because it's all based on hypotheticals. I'm fine with it in September because if it takes place that means things are actually better and life has improved from what the next couple months promise.

dilanesp
03-17-2020, 01:31 PM

I think it does hurt. There's a couple of reasons.

First of all, there's a signaling issue. Part of the reason cancellations > postponements is that cancellations convey the seriousness of the issue and the need of everyone to just stay home. That's why most responsible officials are pushing people to cancel events.

Second, a reschedule that then leads to another cancellation does do harm. Now you are going to have a whole bunch of travel plans that people have made only to have to cancel them again.

Third, I think setting a date is going to create a lobbying situation, where Churchill Downs (and Stronach, and NYRA) are going to use enormous amounts of lobbying pressure to try and prevent public health officials from shutting down their events, even if there are epidemiological reasons to do so.

The reality, as I said, is this is very unlikely to go forward anyway. The leagues you are mentioning are engaging in INDEFINITE postponements, which are simply preludes to cancellation (certainly in the case of the NBA and NHL- nobody seriously thinks they will complete their seasons). Nobody except the French Open is rescheduling to a date certain. (And two observations about the French Open: (1) it's in France, and the state of the coronavirus epidemic is different over there, and (2) they are rescheduling a month later than Churchill, and there's less of a need for "preps" in tennis (although they do happen, nobody doubts you can train up for the French Open if you want to).

One other (more minor) point. Churchill is also screwing over the Breeders' Cup with this, even if you assume they will be able to run it. Because a TC schedule that late in the year means that all the three year olds from the Belmont will basically be unable to wheel back for BC races.

Bottom line, Churchill is basically acting like the Mayor in Jaws right now. Their only concern is money. Hopefully, they will eventually come to their senses and cancel sooner rather than later.

cj
03-17-2020, 01:46 PM
I think it does hurt. There's a couple of reasons.

First of all, there's a signaling issue. Part of the reason cancellations > postponements is that cancellations convey the seriousness of the issue and the need of everyone to just stay home. That's why most responsible officials are pushing people to cancel events.

Second, a reschedule that then leads to another cancellation does do harm. Now you are going to have a whole bunch of travel plans that people have made only to have to cancel them again.

Third, I think setting a date is going to create a lobbying situation, where Churchill Downs (and Stronach, and NYRA) are going to use enormous amounts of lobbying pressure to try and prevent public health officials from shutting down their events, even if there are epidemiological reasons to do so.

The reality, as I said, is this is very unlikely to go forward anyway. The leagues you are mentioning are engaging in INDEFINITE postponements, which are simply preludes to cancellation (certainly in the case of the NBA and NHL- nobody seriously thinks they will complete their seasons). Nobody except the French Open is rescheduling to a date certain. (And two observations about the French Open: (1) it's in France, and the state of the coronavirus epidemic is different over there, and (2) they are rescheduling a month later than Churchill, and there's less of a need for "preps" in tennis (although they do happen, nobody doubts you can train up for the French Open if you want to).

One other (more minor) point. Churchill is also screwing over the Breeders' Cup with this, even if you assume they will be able to run it. Because a TC schedule that late in the year means that all the three year olds from the Belmont will basically be unable to wheel back for BC races.

Bottom line, Churchill is basically acting like the Mayor in Jaws right now. Their only concern is money. Hopefully, they will eventually come to their senses and cancel sooner rather than later.

I personally think you are reading way too much into this and projecting too many nefarious reasons that we really don't know. People know the situation, if they want to make travel plans that is on them. I know I won't. I've already ruled out going to the Breeders' Cup this year.

As far as the Belmont, there is nothing that says it has to be run after the Derby. For all we know, they'll run it as scheduled with the Peter Pan being a prep. As for the French Open being a month later, big deal. Nobody knows, they are both guessing. Possible we're fine in June, but also possible we're still dealing with this next year. There is nothing wrong with setting provisional dates far in the future and if the don't pan out, so be it. It would be silly to just cancel everything when we simply don't know.

Clocker
03-17-2020, 02:01 PM
Part of the reason cancellations > postponements is that cancellations convey the seriousness of the issue and the need of everyone to just stay home.

If the race is postponed, everyone is going to just stay home also. :p

dilanesp
03-17-2020, 03:26 PM
The social distancing is likely to be in place for a year or more.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/17/21181694/coronavirus-covid-19-lockdowns-end-how-long-months-years

Clocker
03-17-2020, 03:56 PM
The social distancing is likely to be in place for a year or more.

I've been doing it for years. I highly recommend it.

People are icky. :rolleyes:

Tom
03-17-2020, 04:47 PM
Maybe social distancing will stop the herding!

Now, what about the Preakness?

Run it at Laurel?
Run Pimlico meet right after Timonium?

All three races could be run in order Sept/Oct......

depalma113
03-17-2020, 05:01 PM
The Spanish Flu killed people within hours of contracting because their lungs filled with fluid. This is not happening with Covid-19.

Comparing the two is just pure hysteria.

tophatmert
03-17-2020, 05:46 PM
If there are big races to be run later in the year , there will be big money preps for them. I just look at it like a target date that that people can look at and maybe start to think about. Not all of the tracks need to have a live audience. They might want one but they may not need it the way CD does for the derby . Many things can happen in the next few weeks and months. I'm going to continue to support the racing I can now and going forward.

airford1
03-17-2020, 05:47 PM
Dont stand, dont stand, dont stand so close to me. Our future doesn't look too bright gentlemen

Afleet
03-17-2020, 09:21 PM
The Spanish Flu had a much higher death rate than is generally reported. Interesting people keep comparing C19 to that...

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/03/remember_the_h1n1_pandemic_i_dont_either.html

Swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths in the U.S. Worldwide, swine flu may have killed up to 203,000 people, more than the number thus far infected with Coronavirus, and the vast majority of those infected recovering uneventfully.

Why wasn’t virtually every major sporting event in 2009 cancelled given these numbers? Especially with swine flu preferentially affecting the young?

Granted the coronavirus hasn’t run its course and the numbers will likely increase, but look at the comparison of numbers and reaction now versus then.

In the U.S., 63 deaths now versus 12,000 then. 3,621 cases now versus 60 million then. Yet I don’t remember the hair-on-fire media reaction now versus then. What a difference a president makes.

airford1
03-17-2020, 09:48 PM
You dont shut down the WORLD for the flu. People will die. a lot of people and all they are trying to do is slow it's roll to be able to process the carnage. Hold on to your butts.

Appy
03-17-2020, 10:36 PM
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/03/remember_the_h1n1_pandemic_i_dont_either.html

Swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths in the U.S. Worldwide, swine flu may have killed up to 203,000 people, more than the number thus far infected with Coronavirus, and the vast majority of those infected recovering uneventfully.

Why wasn’t virtually every major sporting event in 2009 cancelled given these numbers? Especially with swine flu preferentially affecting the young?

Granted the coronavirus hasn’t run its course and the numbers will likely increase, but look at the comparison of numbers and reaction now versus then.

In the U.S., 63 deaths now versus 12,000 then. 3,621 cases now versus 60 million then. Yet I don’t remember the hair-on-fire media reaction now versus then. What a difference a president makes.

The point of measures being taken now is to do whatever possible to lessen catastrophic results. As I post now the number of cases has risen to several times what they were when you posted. That is FAST! Had they undertaken such measures back then maybe the effects wouldn't have been nearly as bad as they were.

I don't see any way you can possibly credit this president with the preventative measures being taken. He called this a "hoax" and defunded the organizations we had in place to deal with such things. Now seeing he was losing even more cred he has swapped ends and is trying to take credit for what others are doing to fight it, along with instituting measures designed to buy your vote with your own money. Gawd I hate politics!
I also don't like the effects of all the shutdowns any more than anyone else, but I would dislike having the effects of testing positive far more. I'm entirely satisfied with playing from home via adw as opposed to attending the track.

Curious to see what the effects of running the Derby late summer has on the sport, and what will they do with the other TC legs? Follow suit, or change the order? I always like the Belmont being third leg. It's easily my fave of the 3.

taxicab
03-18-2020, 12:33 AM
I'm just glad they didn't cancel the Derby this year,they could of scheduled it on December 31st for all I care.......just as long as they run the most exciting two minutes in sports.
Considering the real world situation right now,I'll take a Labor Day weekend Derby.
For one year only,why not look at the bright side of a Triple Crown sequential race change ?
Start the TC off with the 12 furlong Belmont Stakes.......if CV19 is still in play,maybe Belmont Park can push the race back to the July 4th weekend.
No matter when the Belmont is carded,the field will be larger than usual(I think).
The Belmont Stakes day card ia already one of the best betting cards going,if it's pushed back.......just throw in the Belmont Derby & Belmont Oaks carded for the holiday weekend(NY handle records will probably be broken).
The Preakness can be carded whenever Maryland wants.......maybe a month after the Belmont.
And then on to the Derby Labor Day weekend (it would be madness if a Triple Crown was on the line for the Derby).
Plus......it would be cool to have the Breeders Cup right around the corner @ Keenland.
Considering the NBA/NCAA/Masters/MLB [opening stretch] have all been kind of doomed,horse racing kind of dodged a bullet.
Of course the one drawback is the Travers takes a bad beat......hopefully the NYRA can figure out something to help the Travers.

AlsoEligible
03-18-2020, 01:34 AM
MD governor announced today that Preakness will also move to sometime in September (date TBD). Assuming Belmont follows suit and stays as the third leg, that puts it in early October? Meaning a three week layoff between the TC and BC? Or does that have to move now too? Gonna be interesting for sure.

dilanesp
03-18-2020, 01:49 AM
I'm just glad they didn't cancel the Derby this year,they could of scheduled it on December 31st for all I care.......just as long as they run the most exciting two minutes in sports.
Considering the real world situation right now,I'll take a Labor Day weekend Derby.
For one year only,why not look at the bright side of a Triple Crown sequential race change ?
Start the TC off with the 12 furlong Belmont Stakes.......if CV19 is still in play,maybe Belmont Park can push the race back to the July 4th weekend.
No matter when the Belmont is carded,the field will be larger than usual(I think).
The Belmont Stakes day card ia already one of the best betting cards going,if it's pushed back.......just throw in the Belmont Derby & Belmont Oaks carded for the holiday weekend(NY handle records will probably be broken).
The Preakness can be carded whenever Maryland wants.......maybe a month after the Belmont.
And then on to the Derby Labor Day weekend (it would be madness if a Triple Crown was on the line for the Derby).
Plus......it would be cool to have the Breeders Cup right around the corner @ Keenland.
Considering the NBA/NCAA/Masters/MLB [opening stretch] have all been kind of doomed,horse racing kind of dodged a bullet.
Of course the one drawback is the Travers takes a bad beat......hopefully the NYRA can figure out something to help the Travers.

There will not be a Travers this year.

And there's a big difference between the responsible, low key meeting NYRA is conducting at Aqueduct right now and what a TC race or Saratoga would be like. We would need to have the coronavirus vaccine operational before we can have tens of thousands of people stuffed together again. And you can't run these bigger things without fans- large numbers of media types and owners will demand to attend them, which will then also require a lot more staffing.

taxicab
03-18-2020, 02:48 AM

And there's a big difference between the responsible, low key meeting NYRA is conducting at Aqueduct right now and what a TC race or Saratoga would be like. We would need to have the coronavirus vaccine operational before we can have tens of thousands of people stuffed together again. And you can't run these bigger things without fans- large numbers of media types and owners will demand to attend them, which will then also require a lot more staffing.

So why is Churchill Downs and their gazillion people in attendance a go on Labor Day weekend Saturday ?
Saratoga is running the exact same day.......with about 1/4 of the people Churchill will have.
Why is Saratoga a massive problem that day and Churchill isn't ?
And how do you know the Travers won't run this year ?
Slow down a little slick......

dilanesp
03-18-2020, 02:54 AM
So why is Churchill Downs and their gazillion people in attendance a go on Labor Day weekend Saturday ?
Saratoga is running the exact same day.......with about 1/4 of the people Churchill will have.
Why is Saratoga a massive problem that day and Churchill isn't ?
And how do you know the Travers won't run this year ?
Slow down a little slick......

I am extrapolating from the amount of time we are going to have to maintain social distancing. We are definitely canceling anything with 10,000+ people into August. And that means no Saratoga.

There ain't likely to be a Derby this year either, of course.

taxicab
03-18-2020, 03:06 AM
I am extrapolating from the amount of time we are going to have to maintain social distancing. We are definitely canceling anything with 10,000+ people into August. And that means no Saratoga.

There ain't likely to be a Derby this year either, of course.

Quit while you're behind player.....

Redboard
03-18-2020, 09:34 AM

I could see them running the SPA meet without fans this summer. Some tracks are still running this week.

By that time there should be enough test kits available. They could test everyone who enters the track. I don't believe horses can be carriers. So how many people are we talking about?

They could push the Travers back a couple weeks so as not to interfere with the Kentucky derby.

And hey people, this forum is supposed to be politics free. If you(not talking about dilanesp) have any comments about politicians, there is the Off Topic - General forum for such things.

azeri98
03-18-2020, 10:19 AM
Yeah, but it flows completely outside of the NCAA. The NCAA needs that basketball tournament to cover its expenses, which are quite large (because they run all the championships in the non-revenue sports, as well as compliance and enforcement).

You didn't answer the question. Who gets the revenue if the NCAA doesn't get it? The NCAA get 550 million every year for basketball including the tournament. The NCAA gets 470 million per yer for the BCS playoffs ONLY. That doesn't include the regular season and all other bowl games. The SEC alone has a 300 million dollar a year deal just for their regular season games. The NCAA probably makes twice as much on college football when all is said and done.

dilanesp
03-18-2020, 11:43 AM
You didn't answer the question. Who gets the revenue if the NCAA doesn't get it? The NCAA get 550 million every year for basketball including the tournament. The NCAA gets 470 million per yer for the BCS playoffs ONLY. That doesn't include the regular season and all other bowl games. The SEC alone has a 300 million dollar a year deal just for their regular season games. The NCAA probably makes twice as much on college football when all is said and done.

The NCAA literally doesn't get a cent from FBS college football television rights, including the playoff.

College teams won a court case allowing them to go around the NCAA in the 1980's. That's why there are no NCAA logos at the playoff.

cj
03-18-2020, 12:14 PM
The NCAA literally doesn't get a cent from FBS college football television rights, including the playoff.

College teams won a court case allowing them to go around the NCAA in the 1980's. That's why there are no NCAA logos at the playoff.

Yep, football championships are not counted as NCAA titles.

Interesting news from the NBA:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1240307025260748802

kyle r
03-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Circumstances permitting. Run the Belmont at 9F on July 4th which is a Saturday this year; The Preakness at its usual distance three weeks later; The Travers three weeks after that (include IT as this year's fourth jewel - consider any horse winning three of the four a Triple Crown winner), then conclude with The Derby three weeks later on the First Saturday in September. And The Haskell, run that as a Derby prep - Monmouth is a great surface over which to prep for Churhill - on one of the two weekends between The Preakness and Travers.

Tom
03-18-2020, 05:58 PM
Is it even a good idea to HAVE a Saratoga meeting this year?
MAJOR influx of thousands of people into a small town, needing restaurants to eat some meals, I would assume.......stores to shop in, might be better to just run at Belmont, if indeed, we are running at all by then.

Even if no crowds on track, the people essential to the moves and the racing wold be huge for the town.

PaceAdvantage
03-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Everything needs to be shut down forever at this point.

Can't be too careful.

Redboard
03-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Is it even a good idea to HAVE a Saratoga meeting this year?
MAJOR influx of thousands of people into a small town, needing restaurants to eat some meals, I would assume.......stores to shop in, might be better to just run at Belmont, if indeed, we are running at all by then.

Even if no crowds on track, the people essential to the moves and the racing wold be huge for the town.

It wouldn't be that many people. I would cancel my Airbnb if fans weren't allowed into the track, most people would cancel, especially if the SPAC were shut down. The meet would be held to lift the morale of the country. We'd still get to bet on the contests and watch on TV, even if they only raced weekends. What else are you planning this summer?

The only ones allowed in the track would be the athletes, their trainers, and necessary NYRA employees. No owners.

Unlike other sports, baseball, basketball, football, etc, humans don't touch each other in racing, or aren't supposed to.

Restaurants would be closed but there would be takeout.

dilanesp
03-18-2020, 07:08 PM
It wouldn't be that many people. I would cancel my Airbnb if fans weren't allowed into the track, most people would cancel, especially if the SPAC were shut down. The meet would be held to lift the morale of the country. We'd still get to bet on the contests and watch on TV, even if they only raced weekends. What else are you planning this summer?

The only ones allowed in the track would be the athletes, their trainers, and necessary NYRA employees. No owners.

Unlike other sports, baseball, basketball, football, etc, humans don't touch each other in racing, or aren't supposed to.

Restaurants would be closed but there would be takeout.

1. Humans definitely touch each other. E.g., trainers give jockeys a leg up. Plus humans touch the same surfaces as other humans.

2. If I thought it were actually possible to have a big race meeting with no media, and no owners, I would be a little less of a Debbie Downer about this. But I don't. I think if NYRA announced a Saratoga meeting, there would be enormous pressure put on them to open it up. Certainly for owners, certainly for the media (and there would be a ton of media, as they are right now starved for sports), possibly for the wealthy.

I think the reality is it would be impossible for NYRA to run a summer meeting at Saratoga without fans. Which means if we are still socially distancing by the last week of July (and all reliable information indicates we probably will be), Saratoga can't happen.

cj
03-18-2020, 07:13 PM
There is good news in China. The first case was in November I think. Today was the second day in a row with only one new case. I'm sure there is still some time to go before it is done there but this is certainly promising.

We need to be following what they did to control things.

Tom
03-18-2020, 08:14 PM
There is good news in China. The first case was in November I think. Today was the second day in a row with only one new case. I'm sure there is still some time to go before it is done there but this is certainly promising.

Draconian measures work it would appear. This is good news.
They asked our parents and grandparents to go to war, and send their children to war.

They are asking us to stay home and watch TV for a while until it gets under control. Lord, grant me the strength to endure this burden. :coffee:

cj
03-18-2020, 11:20 PM
Draconian measures work it would appear. This is good news.
They asked our parents and grandparents to go to war, and send their children to war.

They are asking us to stay home and watch TV for a while until it gets under control. Lord, grant me the strength to endure this burden. :coffee:

I went out running today thinking there wouldn't be many people out. WRONG. People aren't going to work but instead going to the effing park. There were four courts full of people playing doubles in tennis. Yeah, I'm sure those tennis balls are safe to just keep passing around to each other. Tons of others walking there dogs, at the skateboard park, etc. I'm all for exercise and I avoided people, wasn't really that hard. But most others were not and were not making any effort to do so. These people are the ones that make it bad for the rest of us.

PaceAdvantage
03-19-2020, 01:50 AM
I went out running today thinking there wouldn't be many people out. WRONG. People aren't going to work but instead going to the effing park. There were four courts full of people playing doubles in tennis. Yeah, I'm sure those tennis balls are safe to just keep passing around to each other. Tons of others walking there dogs, at the skateboard park, etc. I'm all for exercise and I avoided people, wasn't really that hard. But most others were not and were not making any effort to do so. These people are the ones that make it bad for the rest of us.See, this is exactly my point.

Short of martial law, you're NOT going to prevent people from doing the types of things you saw yesterday. I'm not one of those...I've been holed up in my house for a week now...

Precisely because people are idiots, we could have basically accomplished what you saw yesterday by simply educating the public, telling them this is a serious disease....a flu-like disease with a deadlier outcome, especially for the vulnerable among us.

We could have told them to try and stay home as much as possible...not to go to any type of gatherings...wash their hands often...don't touch their faces...don't go near people in the vulnerable category...etc...etc....

We could have done all that without closing down bars and restaurants and racetracks and most other things that have been shut down...we would have prevented a run on supplies which leaves vulnerable people (again) even more vulnerable because they can't get the stuff they need....

And we could have probably prevented a good chunk of the market carnage we've seen (which isn't over), which is only going to completely screw over (again) those in the vulnerable group (people of retirement age or about to be retirement age....their 401ks and whatnot have been pretty much decimated).

And we would have achieved the same thing as you saw yesterday. The same idiots would be out and about playing sports and galavanting.

This is why I'm pissed off.

dilanesp
03-19-2020, 02:12 AM
See, this is exactly my point.

Short of martial law, you're NOT going to prevent people from doing the types of things you saw yesterday. I'm not one of those...I've been holed up in my house for a week now...

Precisely because people are idiots, we could have basically accomplished what you saw yesterday by simply educating the public, telling them this is a serious disease....a flu-like disease with a deadlier outcome, especially for the vulnerable among us.

We could have told them to try and stay home as much as possible...not to go to any type of gatherings...wash their hands often...don't touch their faces...don't go near people in the vulnerable category...etc...etc....

We could have done all that without closing down bars and restaurants and racetracks and most other things that have been shut down...we would have prevented a run on supplies which leaves vulnerable people (again) even more vulnerable because they can't get the stuff they need....

And we could have probably prevented a good chunk of the market carnage we've seen (which isn't over), which is only going to completely screw over (again) those in the vulnerable group (people of retirement age or about to be retirement age....their 401ks and whatnot have been pretty much decimated).

And we would have achieved the same thing as you saw yesterday. The same idiots would be out and about playing sports and galavanting.

This is why I'm pissed off.

That's not right though. Big crowds are much deadlier than doubles tennis matches at the park.

We pack ourselves into spaces so often we don't even think about what we are doing. But at the end of the day the only way to prevent a mass catastrophe is precisely to get people out of those packed spaces. And that definitely means no spectator sports and no bars, among other things. There are other things where you can argue we went too far, but epidemiologists are certain about crowds.

classhandicapper
03-19-2020, 08:58 AM
Maybe the stress of recent days is getting to me, but I don't think there's going to be a Derby this year. I think that's wishful thinking. Even if we ramp up testing, keep more people that are positive isolated, continue with social distancing etc... it's going to be months before this whole thing stabilizes because of the backlog of positives that's been building. Even then, there has to be period without large gatherings to ensure there isn't a second wave. IMO, that's not happening by September unless they want to run the race without people in attendance.

IMO, the NBA is also too optimistic. If they try to finish this season, it's most likely going to have to be with no fans at games.

classhandicapper
03-19-2020, 09:08 AM

There are several sources and they seem to conflict a little, but I've been looking at this one.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

classhandicapper
03-19-2020, 09:21 AM
1. Humans definitely touch each other. E.g., trainers give jockeys a leg up. Plus humans touch the same surfaces as other humans.

What's going on now is only going to last until we get the first backstretch positive.

Then the thinking will be adjusted.

Tom
03-19-2020, 09:54 AM
I'll continue this idea in OT in the CV thread.......

But I agree with Class, I think days of racing are going to be limited.
First case and we are all in OT.

Redboard
03-19-2020, 12:17 PM
I went out running today thinking there wouldn't be many people out. WRONG. People aren't going to work but instead going to the effing park. There were four courts full of people playing doubles in tennis. Yeah, I'm sure those tennis balls are safe to just keep passing around to each other. Tons of others walking there dogs, at the skateboard park, etc. I'm all for exercise and I avoided people, wasn't really that hard. But most others were not and were not making any effort to do so. These people are the ones that make it bad for the rest of us.

The U.S. Coronavirus Task Force recommendations are to avoid gathering more than ten. A doubles match is only four. Tennis is outside in fresh air. Sure, someone infected touching the ball could spread it, but if the person didn’t touch his mouth/face afterwards, they would not be infected. The primary method of transference is coughing/sneezing. Especially tennis clubs where the courts are separated from other courts by barriers such as fences or shrubs. If the four courts you saw had no barriers between them, you might be able to make a case for a group of 16. I’m not saying the risk of doubles tennis is zero, but probably less than having dinner with your family.