PDA

View Full Version : Heavy- duty Workouts

maxwell
10-23-2004, 12:42 PM
An article in the Form about Todd Pletcher mentions an exercise rider who works for him. The guy weighs 133 lbs. Toss in a saddle and a morning jacket and you're looking at 140 lbs.

This is the reason why I give a horse 1 point only for a work in the past 45 days. And also why I don't bother to look at how fast or slow works are. The rider could be a 98 lb. "bug" or a 133 lb. guy who loves Burger King. :)

Storm Cadet
10-23-2004, 06:22 PM
How about a horse that drills 4 f in 47...can you imagine if the WHOPPER was aboard for that work? How fast would that mother run with a 114 jockey on him. Thats why I GIVE extra credit for workouts that are fast...it shows me the horse does posess the ability to run fast.

If you are searching for a pitcher...and he hits 94 on the radar gun, you know he has the ability to throw it in the future. But a pitcher who tops out at 85 CANNOT ever be expected to throw 94 in the future!

Show me a horse that runs fast in workouts...and I'll show you a horse that has the ability to run fast...not saying he will, but he has the ability/ Why do you think there are so many PRIVATE clockers at NYRA tracks each day getting the real times instead of the ones posted? They have an edge and that info is given to their clients for race day!

I have become friendly with a private clocker from this summer at Saratoga. We have continued our friendhip through the fall Belmont meet. He sits in the owners/trainers boxes next to me at Belmont. Each day he does quite well with this type of info, especially with the 2 yo's that have not raced yet!

Storm Cadet
10-23-2004, 06:27 PM
at the training and main track for AM workouts. Believe me , there are NO 98 pound bugs working these horse out. Most are all over 120 and many are 135-140. You guys from the Saratoga Suff vacation when we went to the track for AM workouts. How pumped up and buff muscular was the female jockey who had the Playboy bunny logo on her helmet. She was Stuballs favorite;)

stuball
10-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Now Ron I liked her horse ................LOL LOL
I agree that a horse that can run fast in the morning
can run fast period....with 2yo many times they can get to the front and away from trouble... they will run fast...but if they take
awhile to get up to speed, it may take them some time to learn to race....JMHO

Stuball :p

BetHorses!
10-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Some horses only run well in the mornings and can't win a maiden 10k claimer. Private Clockers might have an edge on firsters and layoff horses but most are broke.

betchatoo
10-25-2004, 06:34 AM
Speaking of heavy workouts, this one seems pretty good

Sweet Catomine, Juvenile Fillies, five furlongs, 58.80 seconds.

Canani caught Sweet Catomine in 58.40, and galloping out six furlongs in 1:11.26 and seven furlongs in 1:25.94. The workout was the fastest of 126 recorded works at the distance.

Sweet Catomine has won her last two starts - the Del Mar Debutante and the Oak Leaf Stakes.

Canani was enthused by the work, saying Sweet Catomine was "doing super. It's how she did it," he said. "She was breezing with a 160-pound exercise rider on her."

maxwell
10-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Storm,

Was that work done under 120 lbs. or 105 lbs. ?

Also, even so-so horses can run very quickly for 4 f. It takes a true champ to do so over a distance of ground. :)

plainolebill
10-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Julio Canani: "She was breezing with a 160-pound exercise rider on her."