PDA

View Full Version : Country House has now been vindicated

Afleet
03-09-2020, 06:59 PM
I guess it was fantasy land to turn a $16k maiden claimer into a KY derby winner.

letswastemoney
03-09-2020, 08:18 PM
I thought Country House was always the deserving winner, no matter what Maximum Security did after the race.

horses4courses
03-09-2020, 08:28 PM
Maximum Security was the best 3 year old in the US in 2019.
End of story.

He also has the distinction of being first past the post in the Kentucky Derby,
and then trained on to perform at a high level afterwards.
Those colts are a rare commodity in recent decades.

cj
03-09-2020, 09:04 PM
End of story.

He also has the distinction of being first past the post in the Kentucky Derby,
and then trained on to perform at a high level afterwards.
Those colts are a rare commodity in recent decades.

Missed the news today I guess.

In other news, Lance Armstrong is the greatest cyclist of all time and Barry Bonds the real home run king.

clicknow
03-09-2020, 09:07 PM

Ditto, Lance Armstrong. One of the best doping cyclists in the world.

Tom
03-09-2020, 09:07 PM
Country who?
Is that a brand of coffee?

Oh, no that is Maximum House. :lol:

horses4courses
03-09-2020, 09:41 PM

In other news, Lance Armstrong is the greatest cyclist of all time and Barry Bonds the real home run king.

How does today's news relate specifically to Maximum Security?
He had to be tested up the wazoo all last year.

Btw, was Big Brown stripped of his roses title in 2008?
I must have missed that as well. :rolleyes:

cj
03-09-2020, 10:00 PM
How does today's news relate specifically to Maximum Security?
He had to be tested up the wazoo all last year.

Btw, was Big Brown stripped of his roses title in 2008?
I must have missed that as well. :rolleyes:

I guess you didn't read the indictments. Maximum Security was named specifically as a horse that was drugged.

horses4courses
03-09-2020, 10:08 PM
I guess you didn't read the indictments. Maximum Security was named specifically as a horse that was drugged.

I've seen the allegations.
Let me know when indictments become convictions.
Thanks.

cj
03-09-2020, 10:09 PM
Thanks.

Nah, I'm good. If you are interested enough you'll follow along.

JerryBoyle
03-09-2020, 11:32 PM

To be fair to Lance, it sounds like ALL cyclists dope lol. So he was basically still the best. Not sure if that's the case with horses

GMB@BP
03-09-2020, 11:53 PM
Thanks.

93% conviction rate. If they are smart they are working on pleas to avoid very long incarcerations.

deelo
03-09-2020, 11:59 PM
Thanks.

Living in this much denial is bad for your health

horses4courses
03-10-2020, 12:19 AM
Living in this much denial is bad for your health

Let me ask you this.
On the first Saturday in May 2019, how many of the 20 horses
that went to post for the KY Derby ran the race with zero enhancers?

Someday Silent
03-10-2020, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Country House was "vindicated". He still lucked out either way. He managed to cross the wire in front of other horses exactly ONCE in his life. Even the much maligned Giacomo and Mine That Bird got to the finish first more than he did.

The_Turf_Monster
03-10-2020, 12:47 AM
The subsequent lawsuit from MS' owners looks comical right now. It's almost like CD knew what was happening

dilanesp
03-10-2020, 01:10 AM
The subsequent lawsuit from MS' owners looks comical right now. It's almost like CD knew what was happening

I highly doubt this. The feds would have never told anyone in CD or state regulators what was up. Way too many of those folks are buddies with the horsemen.

The DQ happened honestly. MS took out three horses on the far turn and had to come down.

deelo
03-10-2020, 03:28 AM
Let me ask you this.
On the first Saturday in May 2019, how many of the 20 horses
that went to post for the KY Derby ran the race with zero enhancers?

Medication...all of them

Enhancers as in altering red blood cells to hold more oxygen than your rivals and turn a 16k claimer into a monster? Just one that we know of for sure.

46zilzal
03-10-2020, 09:46 AM
Soren Kierkegaard Quotes:
"Once you label me you negate me."

arw629
03-10-2020, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Country House was "vindicated". He still lucked out either way. He managed to cross the wire in front of other horses exactly ONCE in his life. Even the much maligned Giacomo and Mine That Bird got to the finish first more than he did.

No one was beating Mine That Bird that day. He blew their doors off. No one has run a better derby since then.

castaway01
03-10-2020, 10:14 AM
"Vindicate" is the wrong word, but for all of the whining after Max Security came down, it turned out to be better for racing that a drugged horse didn't win the Derby. So justice was done anyway.

Appy
03-10-2020, 03:04 PM
I would think that all those crying for vindication (save for the owners) the window payoff should have been sufficient.

theotherside
03-10-2020, 10:52 PM
I think it's a little ridiculous to think the drugging turned what many are considering a common horse into the superstar he is.Did the drugging help a little sure that I wouldn't deny.But to win at the highest level of the game because of PED'S I doubt it.

cj
03-10-2020, 11:03 PM
I think it's a little ridiculous to think the drugging turned what many are considering a common horse into the superstar he is.Did the drugging help a little sure that I wouldn't deny.But to win at the highest level of the game because of PED'S I doubt it.

PEDs can only do so much. The horse has to have some real talent. But they can make a fringe stakes horse a G1 winner. It isn't even really debatable.

clicknow
03-11-2020, 12:31 AM

100% agree. I use a lot of pedigree stuff in addition to regular data in races like KY Derby and he had the goods. (so did Country House and Code of Honor, which is how I played it with 1 or 2 others thrown in).

So, no, Max Sec is no claimer/fringe stakes type and that was obvious before he ran in the Derby. Truth be told though, I did not want him to win because I'm not a Servis fan.

PEDs can only do so much. The horse has to have some real talent. But they can make a fringe stakes horse a G1 winner. It isn't even really debatable.

I think you meant to type "can't". ;)

cj
03-11-2020, 10:19 AM
100% agree. I use a lot of pedigree stuff in addition to regular data in races like KY Derby and he had the goods. (so did Country House and Code of Honor, which is how I played it with 1 or 2 others thrown in).

So, no, Max Sec is no claimer/fringe stakes type and that was obvious before he ran in the Derby. Truth be told though, I did not want him to win because I'm not a Servis fan.

I think you meant to type "can't". ;)

I meant can. PEDs can turn a fringe stakes horse into a G1 winner. A 5k claimer, no, but a stakes horse, absolutely.

If you are reading this board and haven't watched Icarus on Netflix, you should.