PDA

View Full Version : coronavirus and the TC

dilanesp
03-07-2020, 01:23 PM
150,000, or whatever the real number is, people at the Derby seems less than optimal. They canceled SxSW yesterday. Any possibility that the TC may be affected?

PaceAdvantage
03-07-2020, 01:23 PM
One can only hope.

castaway01
03-07-2020, 01:35 PM
150,000, or whatever the real number is, people at the Derby seems less than optimal. They canceled SxSW yesterday. Any possibility that the TC may be affected?

Right now, can anyone answer with anything other than "Maybe"?

Afleet
03-07-2020, 06:59 PM
just need warm weather and sunlight

lefty359
03-07-2020, 07:28 PM
The flu has killed 18000 people in this country so far his year. So I don't know why people getting so panicked over the CoronaVirus.

clicknow
03-08-2020, 01:23 AM
Seasonal flu for the most part is well over by Derby time.

Covid-19 just adds to the burden of the last month that seasonal flu has influence, which is usually around end of March.

If cases are still trending upwards at beginning of April, then I might offer a thought. My hunch is that it will be short-lived and hardly virulent by then, unless it behaves completely differently than most viruses.

dilanesp
03-08-2020, 01:48 PM
Coronavirus is a lot more serious than a lot of people in this thread believe. Check out the recent news from Italy if you don't believe me.

Numerous large gatherings of people are being canceled, and rightfully so. I don't see how the Derby goes forward in its traditional form. They might have to run it in front of an empty grandstand.

46zilzal
03-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Seasonal flu for the most part is well over by Derby time.

Covid-19 just adds to the burden of the last month that seasonal flu has influence, which is usually around end of March.

If cases are still trending upwards at beginning of April, then I might offer a thought. My hunch is that it will be short-lived and hardly virulent by then, unless it behaves completely differently than most viruses.

Read The Black Swan and you may change your focus on that confidence of this acting like all that have gone before....In the book the author gives a theoretical to ponder with the example of a turkey who is fed and cared for very well, everyday. IT assumes that this will go on forever since ALL EVIDENCE points to a repetition of the same activities daily as far as it can remember. THEN COMES THANKSGIVING and ALL that evidence is not worth a thing.

How would you KNOW how it will behave as it is well known as a novel NEW virus and, for example, the major mortality of the Spanish Flu was NOT in the initial infection but in 1919 when it MUTATED and no one can predict that with any degree of accuracy.

Mutation increases as more cases confront the virus.....

Robert Fischer
03-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Read The Black Swan ...

:coffee: Good book. :ThmbUp:

I've got "Derby-Fever-20".
Strong, prepared, and optimistic.

Tom
03-08-2020, 05:50 PM
:coffee: Good book. :ThmbUp:

I've got "Derby-Fever-20".
Strong, prepared, and optimistic.

Very good book!
Love the chapter about Elmer J. Fudd. :headbanger:

castaway01
03-08-2020, 06:40 PM
The flu has killed 18000 people in this country so far his year. So I don't know why people getting so panicked over the CoronaVirus.

Because per the CDC flu kills 1 in 1000 and coronavirus kills 1 in 33? I mean, this might be done in a month but pretty sure we don't want 35 million to get this like got the flu in 2018-19. Sorry to bring reason into this---back to wherever you get your news.

lefty359
03-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Because per the CDC flu kills 1 in 1000 and coronavirus kills 1 in 33? I mean, this might be done in a month but pretty sure we don't want 35 million to get this like got the flu in 2018-19. Sorry to bring reason into this---back to wherever you get your news.

The flu kills all groups. This Corona is basically killing the elderly and people that already have underlying health problems. I'll worry when Corona kills more in this country than the flu. I think there's more to fear from panic than the Corona.

clicknow
03-08-2020, 11:04 PM
Read The Black Swan and you may change your focus on that confidence of this acting like all that have gone before.

I am not sure where I expressed any "confidence" in what I said. I offered a layperson's opinion.

TBH, I really only listen to people who have MD and/or Ph.D. after their names who have training in medicine, infectious diseases, epidemiology, etc.

This is a horse racing forum so I suggest everyone take what everyone posts with a grain of salt. Mine included. ;)

As for my confidence (???), let's put it this way: Doubtful I will attend Rebel Stakes with influx of 35-50K people, coming in from all over. Because I am a caregiver, and because I am even careful about seasonal flu anyway. Any illness that plays Continental Hopscotch is one I avoid.

There are no confirmed cases yet in Arkansas. However, with an incubation period of about 14 days, I won't know til it shows up on the John Hopkins map, which may be days or weeks from now:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

If it hasn't resolved by KY Derby Day, I am the kind of person who would not attend that, either.

cj
03-08-2020, 11:14 PM
They canceled the upcoming Indian Wells tennis tournament due to the virus. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not taking any chances I don't have to take. It just isn't worth it. I doubt I'll go to Thunder games either.

clicknow
03-08-2020, 11:37 PM
I am not only in the over 60 category, but have family members who are immuno-supressed and/or elderly with health problems who I do visit.

Therefore, my tolerance for exposing myself to wider audience of humanity is probably very different than many of you.

Of course, even if I were 30 and those other factors were not in place, I would of course stay away from elderly people if I was out and about a lot in big crowds, just to keep THEM safe. In other words, if you are volunteering in a nursing home, you kinda have to hold yourself to a "higher standard", but this is common sense. :D

groupie doll
03-09-2020, 10:00 AM
They've canceled a lot of seminars, conferences etc. pertaining to my job as well... my employer now has a policy that any meetings, lectures or workshops with invites to more than 100 people be canceled.
I'm going to Canada next month to visit family and I anticipate it might take longer than usual to get back across the border. Such is life. Just plan ahead...

dilanesp
03-11-2020, 05:29 PM
The NCAA tournament is going to go on without fans.

Unless this thing is under control within the next month, there's no way that Churchill can host a normal Kentucky Derby. Same goes for the Preakness and Belmont too. They are going to need to do at least the same thing the NCAA is doing.

Afleet
03-11-2020, 05:57 PM

I don't buy that for a minute

castaway01
03-11-2020, 06:12 PM
I don't buy that for a minute

Dr. Afleet, where do you get your information? World Health Organization says 118,000 with corona and 4300 dead. That's a 3.6% death rate. But if you think it's all a joke, please go over to Italy and help out my relatives over there. Things are seriously f'd up. Thanks.

Fact is, we're relying on numbers from China and our own government, both of which are as likely to play down the risk as of play it up. It might just all fizzle out like nothing, but none of us knows.

thaskalos
03-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Chicago to Las Vegas...you can book a room from 3/14 to 3/19 at the Bellagio for $240 a person, and that includes airfare. And this during March Madness. There is panic everywhere.

dilanesp
03-11-2020, 08:11 PM
Chicago to Las Vegas...you can book a room from 3/14 to 3/19 at the Bellagio for $240 a person, and that includes airfare. And this during March Madness. There is panic everywhere.

Las Vegas is a petri dish. Handling all those chips and cards and slot machine buttons after other people, crowded into close confinement at card tables and in sports books and nightclubs and lounges.

No thanks.

Tom
03-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Dr. Afleet, where do you get your information? World Health Organization says 118,000 with corona and 4300 dead. That's a 3.6% death rate. But if you think it's all a joke, please go over to Italy and help out my relatives over there. Things are seriously f'd up. Thanks.

Fact is, we're relying on numbers from China and our own government, both of which are as likely to play down the risk as of play it up. It might just all fizzle out like nothing, but none of us knows.

Right now, no numbers are beyond suspect at best.

classhandicapper
03-11-2020, 10:37 PM
NBA season suspended while they figure out what to do next. Rudy Gobert tested positive.

cnollfan
03-11-2020, 11:00 PM
You'll laugh, but here's my idea:

The Triple Crown without live fans isn't a thing. An empty Churchill Downs for the Derby? An empty Belmont with a possible Triple Crown on the line? Doesn't work for me.

I think they should postpone this year's Derby, Preakness and Belmont until 2021. So that this year's crop doesn't get shortchanged, for one time and one time only they could run a shadow Triple Crown on the preceding weekends for 4 year olds, e.g. 4 year old Derby on April 24, 2021, 4 year old Preakness on May 8, 2021, 4 year old Belmont on May 29, 2021.

It would make for a festive week at all three locales and give horse racing fans (and owners) something to look forward to in this otherwise gloomy environment.

CaptainObvious
03-11-2020, 11:09 PM
You'll laugh, but here's my idea:

The Triple Crown without live fans isn't a thing. An empty Churchill Downs for the Derby? An empty Belmont with a possible Triple Crown on the line? Doesn't work for me.

I think they should postpone this year's Derby, Preakness and Belmont until 2021. So that this year's crop doesn't get shortchanged, for one time and one time only they could run a shadow Triple Crown on the preceding weekends for 4 year olds, e.g. 4 year old Derby on April 24, 2021, 4 year old Preakness on May 8, 2021, 4 year old Belmont on May 29, 2021.

It would make for a festive week at all three locales and give horse racing fans (and owners) something to look forward to in this otherwise gloomy environment.

Hell, we’d all be better off if the races were for 4yo every year.

Tom
03-11-2020, 11:20 PM
How about we just suspend the TC until they come with a viable plan to protect the bettors - they did such a great job last year!~:puke:

I could live if there was never another TC.

Bigadam119
03-11-2020, 11:33 PM
How about we just suspend the TC until they come with a viable plan to protect the bettors - they did such a great job last year!~:puke:

I could live if there was never another TC.

Would racing live without the triple crown?

PaceMasterT
03-11-2020, 11:53 PM
Well, since i am going to assume that the average age of the avid horseplayer and slot machine gun slinger is above 50 years old, I'm going to predict that coronavirus is going to have a huge effect on this industry. On top of the FBI indictments, this may be something that makes a huge change to this "sport".

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2020, 12:02 AM
Well, since i am going to assume that the average age of the avid horseplayer and slot machine gun slinger is above 50 years old, I'm going to predict that coronavirus is going to have a huge effect on this industry. On top of the FBI indictments, this may be something that makes a huge change to this "sport".You're one of those that likes to usually just show your face around here during TC season, right?

A little early this year, aren't you?

PaceMasterT
03-12-2020, 12:15 AM
Yep. But, used to be a die hard horse racing fan. Grew up in the shadows of Grand Island and Fonner Park and know what an honest horseman looks like and acts like. And, the last one I know passed away from a heart attack a few years ago. All of you trying to stand up for this industry is pathetic. I've seen the posts on here. All of you aren't blind. We know what is happening but we gladly participated along with it. Are you an addict? If not, quit betting one single dime. Drop this industry to its knees. Two "named brand" trainers out of the multitude that are guilty. EVERYTHING NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!!!!.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2020, 12:17 AM
Lulz

Sorry...I'm too jaded to give two shits at this point.

I'm glad the cheaters got caught. But you know what? People have been talking about JUICERS since I got into this game 30+ years ago....and they'll still be talking about them 30 years down the road, if we don't all die from coronavirus first...

Point being, there will always be cheaters in this game...always has been...always will be.

I guarantee you there are cheaters right now in precious HONG KONG as well. I would stake my life on it...

People need to start thinking for themselves and not living in some other person's fairy tale (or horror story...both are equally bad in the long term).

PaceMasterT
03-12-2020, 12:21 AM
Lulz

Lolz indeed.

The_Turf_Monster
03-12-2020, 12:22 AM
Let's hope we can get this under control quickly. You've already got the NBA and (my assumption) soon the NHL suspending its season. I'm sure baseball won't be far behind with some kind of plan. The triple crown will have to run before empty grandstands for liability purposes if that's the case......so basically your normal day at any track

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2020, 12:28 AM
Lolz indeed.You missed the rest...I've added

Michael
03-12-2020, 12:31 AM

The reason why SxsW was canceled was bc no insurance company in their right mind would insure against the virus. It's why music festivals won't happen. None of them. I don't know about sporting events but it's likely the same reason.

I find it strange that Madison Square Garden is still having concerts though. (Went to see the remaining allman brothers last night) Did I catch the virus? dunno yet... hope not!

I AM a betting man... and it's likely we're going to hit a standstill really quick. Very doubtful the derby happens.

PaceMasterT
03-12-2020, 12:39 AM
Lulz

I'm glad the cheaters got caught. But you know what? People have been talking about JUICERS since I got into this game 30+ years ago....and they'll still be talking about them 30 years down the road, if we don't all die from coronavirus first...

Point being, there will always be cheaters in this game...always has been...always will be.

I guarantee you there are cheaters right now in precious HONG KONG as well. I would stake my life on it...

People need to start thinking for themselves and not living in some other person's fairy tale (or horror story...both are equally bad in the long term).

Anywhere that there is multi-million dollars involved there are going to be cheaters. I could give two shits about Hong Kong. I've never owned horses personally, but I know people who have and I have been around the stables with the horses and trainers. The owners I know were above board and had trainers (not super trainers) that looked out for the best interest of the horses. It was basically a breakeven endeavor for all involved but fun non the less. The issue I have is that these guys were competing with these unscrupulous types with two hands tied behind their backs. I'm from the Midwest, and one of the owners I know bought a horse from the west coast and it arrived and could barely walk let alone run a race. The horse had EPO and was so drugged in its previous races just to compete. The owner I know (not rich at all) did everything in their power to give the horse a comfortable life and let it retire to pasture. $10,000 down the drain for no benefit for their own. Are you in a position to do that? If not, then get off your high horse.

PaceMasterT
03-12-2020, 12:56 AM
Anywhere that there is multi-million dollars involved there are going to be cheaters. I could give two shits about Hong Kong. I've never owned horses personally, but I know people who have and I have been around the stables with the horses and trainers. The owners I know were above board and had trainers (not super trainers) that looked out for the best interest of the horses. It was basically a breakeven endeavor for all involved but fun non the less. The issue I have is that these guys were competing with these unscrupulous types with two hands tied behind their backs. I'm from the Midwest, and one of the owners I know bought a horse from the west coast and it arrived and could barely walk let alone run a race. The horse had EPO and was so drugged in its previous races just to compete. The owner I know (not rich at all) did everything in their power to give the horse a comfortable life and let it retire to pasture. $10,000 down the drain for no benefit for their own. Are you in a position to do that? If not, then get off your high horse.

EPM

Parkview_Pirate
03-12-2020, 01:49 AM
Lulz

A rather sad attitude for the bloke who manages this forum.

Hardly a constructive point of view for those who love the game. There is no sensible reason we have to tolerate today's cheating.

A bad bet. There may very well be cheaters in Hong Kong, but the racing there is much, much cleaner than here in North America. And I would be my life on that.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but it sums up the worst post I've ever read from you. Your attitude seems to indicate you've tossed in the towel, and you'll just live with the corruption that permeates the game. If that's the case, we'd all be better off for you to turn the reins over to someone with a bit more optimism, 'cause you're past being constructive.

In short, what the game needs now is some courageous leadership - punish the cheaters, ban race day meds, clean up the game, reduce takeouts and give owners and players more breaks. Subscribing to the attitude of "it's always going to be like this" only leads to end of racing.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2020, 01:51 AM
If not, then get off your high horse.Pretty sure I'm not the one on the high horse.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2020, 01:53 AM
In short, what the game needs now is some courageous leadership - punish the cheaters, ban race day meds, clean up the game, reduce takeouts and give owners and players more breaks. Subscribing to the attitude of "it's always going to be like this" only leads to end of racing.

You're living in a fairy tale if you think what's happened will do anything to eliminate cheating in some massive way.

Will it curtail the activity for some period of time? Of course.

Will it change human nature?

Never.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2020, 01:55 AM
A bad bet. There may very well be cheaters in Hong Kong, but the racing there is much, much cleaner than here in North America. And I would be my life on that.So it's your belief that undetectable meds only work on horses racing in the USA?

Tom
03-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Would racing live without the triple crown?

If the TC is anything like last years total sham, who cares?

Unless you are drunk who likes big hats. :rolleyes:

Ky Derby has no credibility IMHO - they FAILED to protect the betting public.

What is their Action Plan to protect it this time around?
Anyone got a link to that?

SHUT UP AND BET!

Tom
03-12-2020, 10:12 AM
Pretty sure I'm not the one on the high horse.

"High" horse......LULZ!

cj
03-12-2020, 11:37 AM
They canceled the upcoming Indian Wells tennis tournament due to the virus. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not taking any chances I don't have to take. It just isn't worth it. I doubt I'll go to Thunder games either.

This certainly turned out to be the right call last night LOL.

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2020, 04:14 PM
Churchill Downs Incorporated (“CDI”) (Nasdaq: CHDN) announced today that the Jeff Ruby Steaks race at Turfway Park will run as scheduled this Saturday, March 14. However, amid public health concerns regarding COVID-19, all remaining races of the track’s Winter/Spring Meet through March 28, including the Jeff Ruby Steaks race this Saturday, will be conducted spectator-free with only essential staff, horsemen, owners, limited friends and family and media in attendance.

Preparations to host Kentucky Derby 146 on the first Saturday in May at Churchill Downs are still moving forward. With the event still seven weeks away, a decision will be made closer to that date, with respect to postponing the event until later in the year, using the most recent information while working with and seeking guidance from public health experts and authorities.

Source: CDI

dilanesp
03-12-2020, 04:54 PM
Churchill Downs Incorporated (“CDI”) (Nasdaq: CHDN) announced today that the Jeff Ruby Steaks race at Turfway Park will run as scheduled this Saturday, March 14. However, amid public health concerns regarding COVID-19, all remaining races of the track’s Winter/Spring Meet through March 28, including the Jeff Ruby Steaks race this Saturday, will be conducted spectator-free with only essential staff, horsemen, owners, limited friends and family and media in attendance.

Preparations to host Kentucky Derby 146 on the first Saturday in May at Churchill Downs are still moving forward. With the event still seven weeks away, a decision will be made closer to that date, with respect to postponing the event until later in the year, using the most recent information while working with and seeking guidance from public health experts and authorities.

Source: CDI

Interesting. That clearly means CD would rather run the Derby in October or something rather than running it with no spectators.

therussmeister
03-12-2020, 06:41 PM
I've seen no indication that the tracks that are closed to the public are also closing their casinos. Gulfstream specifically states their casino will remain open for slots play only.

Tom
03-12-2020, 06:46 PM
I've seen no indication that the tracks that are closed to the public are also closing their casinos. Gulfstream specifically states their casino will remain open for slots play only.

You can just taste the stupidity in the air......:lol:

There is NO HOPE for this industry. None.

rrpic6
03-12-2020, 07:09 PM
I was just notified by Keeneland that they will run from April 2-11 without spectators allowed. A limited number of credentials will be given to Horsemen. Also a very limited portion of the Grandstand will be open for those people. They hope to resume normal operations on Wednesday April 15th.

RR

Secondbest
03-12-2020, 07:13 PM

Resorts casino ,which is attached to Aqueduct, is open. Aqu. Closed to spectators but casino not. I just received an email from resorts telling me what a great job they’re doing cleaning the place.
No word from the city.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Yes...isn't it curious that not one casino attached to a closed racetrack is also closing at this time. Hell, some of them even want you to know the casino dining room will be open too!

So you can take your filthy casino chip+money hands and go shove some food into your face from the buffet...:pound::pound::pound:

But the racetrack? Nah...we HAVE to close that place for a bit...even though a lot of it is actually OUTSIDE....

Keep bringing on the crazy, I say.

dilanesp
03-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Yes...isn't it curious that not one casino attached to a closed racetrack is also closing at this time. Hell, some of them even want you to know the casino dining room will be open too!

So you can take your filthy casino chip+money hands and go shove some food into your face from the buffet...:pound::pound::pound:

But the racetrack? Nah...we HAVE to close that place for a bit...even though a lot of it is actually OUTSIDE....

There's a couple of ways this can go.

One is that the public will see this as ridiculous and publicly pressure the casinos and the governments to shut down casino gambling. Similar to how Disneyland thought it was going to get an exemption from California to stay open, but the public was outraged.

Another is that Las Vegas is, of course, never going to close the casinos, because whatever the casino owners say goes there. And as a result, there's just a norm that casinos everywhere will stay open.

What I would say is that the error is in keeping places open, not closing them. Racetracks should be closing and/or barring spectators, and casinos should be closing too.

rrpic6
03-12-2020, 08:02 PM

Mountaineer did announce their buffet is now closed. OTB and Casino remain open.

RR

cutchemist42
03-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Just a crazy 48 hours all around.

My city just got its first confirmed virus.

Mulerider
03-12-2020, 09:18 PM
Oaklawn races Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will be closed to spectators.

The casino will be open. Naturally.

horsefan2019
03-12-2020, 11:23 PM
Reality is most of the money from race tracks comes from handle from out of state from people watching on TV. So funny enough, horse racing is one of the few sports that would be unaffected unless you talk about the Triple Crown trail, in which it would probably be run but without the usual pomp and fair.

GMB@BP
03-12-2020, 11:26 PM
So it's your belief that undetectable meds only work on horses racing in the USA?

where the purses are obscene...where there is money to be made there will be cheaters.

CheckMark
03-13-2020, 09:49 AM
https://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-turfway-wont-allow-spectators-due-coronavirus

https://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park-will-race-without-spectators-due-coronavirus

https://www.drf.com/news/california-florida-maryland-new-york-racetracks-bar-fans-response-coronavirus-outbreak

So this means no fans at:

Keeneland
Turfway
Oaklawn Park
Santa Anita
Golden Gate
Aqueduct
Gulfstream Park (sorry Suff :pout: )
Ireland racetracks
Dubai (Meydan)
Sam Houston

This is just for the fans but not everyone else that has a racing licence like regular personnel. Workouts at all tracks will still be rolling.

groupie doll
03-13-2020, 10:55 AM
To me it would make far more sense to run the K Derby with no audience than it would be to postpone it... postponing it (esp until Fall) would impact other races and events substantially. Esp considering the distinct possibility that we could be through this rough and stressful time by June or early summer... it would just seem really odd if the Derby was run in, say, September but the other TC races are not rescheduled. Trainers are prepping their horses now for a race that'll be run in 4 months later than usual? Yeah, that makes no sense to me.

Regardless, this year (and the past two years) all may have asterisks for different reasons...

therussmeister
03-13-2020, 12:01 PM
https://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-turfway-wont-allow-spectators-due-coronavirus

https://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park-will-race-without-spectators-due-coronavirus

https://www.drf.com/news/california-florida-maryland-new-york-racetracks-bar-fans-response-coronavirus-outbreak

So this means no fans at:

Keeneland
Turfway
Oaklawn Park
Santa Anita
Golden Gate
Aqueduct
Gulfstream Park (sorry Suff :pout: )
Ireland racetracks
Dubai (Meydan)
Sam Houston

This is just for the fans but not everyone else that has a racing licence like regular personnel. Workouts at all tracks will still be rolling.

You can add Tampa Bay following Sunday's card.

dilanesp
03-13-2020, 12:05 PM
To me it would make far more sense to run the K Derby with no audience than it would be to postpone it... postponing it (esp until Fall) would impact other races and events substantially. Esp considering the distinct possibility that we could be through this rough and stressful time by June or early summer... it would just seem really odd if the Derby was run in, say, September but the other TC races are not rescheduled. Trainers are prepping their horses now for a race that'll be run in 4 months later than usual? Yeah, that makes no sense to me.

Regardless, this year (and the past two years) all may have asterisks for different reasons...

The problem is, running without an audience solves the audience problem (at significant cost to CD, which makes a lot of money on those juleps) but not the entire disease transmission problem. You still will have tons of horsemen flying in on airplanes, there will be crowds of reporters and TV personnel as well, the jockeys will come in contact with each other, the trainers will come in contact with the jockeys, etc.

This is why major sports are starting to realize that just excluding the audience doesn't solve the whole problem.

I suspect the real question right now is whether they are going to have a Derby at all this year. If they tried to have it in October or something, it would be a massive disruption to the racing schedule. And what would happen to the Preakness and Belmont? It may be that the right call is to just sit out a year, like other sports are doing.

therussmeister
03-13-2020, 12:06 PM
Reality is most of the money from race tracks comes from handle from out of state from people watching on TV. So funny enough, horse racing is one of the few sports that would be unaffected unless you talk about the Triple Crown trail, in which it would probably be run but without the usual pomp and fair.

I think much of racetrack's profits come from admission and concessions.

groupie doll
03-13-2020, 12:47 PM
The problem is, running without an audience solves the audience problem (at significant cost to CD, which makes a lot of money on those juleps) but not the entire disease transmission problem. You still will have tons of horsemen flying in on airplanes, there will be crowds of reporters and TV personnel as well, the jockeys will come in contact with each other, the trainers will come in contact with the jockeys, etc.

This is why major sports are starting to realize that just excluding the audience doesn't solve the whole problem.

I suspect the real question right now is whether they are going to have a Derby at all this year. If they tried to have it in October or something, it would be a massive disruption to the racing schedule. And what would happen to the Preakness and Belmont? It may be that the right call is to just sit out a year, like other sports are doing.
Then cancel it entirely this year. Postponing it and running it 4-6 months after it normally is run is worse plan imho.

I think the driver for postponing is CDI losing money and not for any sort of notion that involves logic...

dilanesp
03-13-2020, 12:52 PM
Then cancel it entirely this year. Postponing it and running it 4-6 months after it normally is run is worse plan imho.

I think the driver for postponing is CDI losing money and not for any sort of notion that involves logic...

Well, you can tell that everyone is trying to make money if they can. The best movie ever made about these situations is "Jaws". Remember how the Mayor and local businessmen didn't care about anything but keeping the beaches open despite the shark attacks? That's how folks act.

The LA Marathon basically ignored everyone's advice and went on. Last night, Post Malone had a sold out concert in Denver at the Pepsi Center. The NCAA tournament, the PGA, and Major League Baseball all flirted with trying to play on without spectators so they could keep the television revenue. And Disneyland clearly made a deal with the California governor to stay open; it's only when they got a whirlwind of bad publicity over it that they were forced to do the right thing.

There's just a ton of short term money to be made out there by bucking public opinion and holding events. A lot of people- especially young people- will basically have the attitude of "I don't care, it's not going to happen to me". But the bad publicity tends to be enough to force promoters to do the right thing, at least in most instances.

cj
03-13-2020, 01:29 PM
I suspect we won't have horse racing within a week, if we even make it through the weekend.

dilanesp
03-13-2020, 01:41 PM
I suspect we won't have horse racing within a week, if we even make it through the weekend.

Better get even now, horseplayers! :)

jimmy m
03-13-2020, 01:42 PM
I was going to say the same thing.Epl just canceled the rest of the Month.After Nascar stopped I thought for sure Tracks would begin to close.So I printed the pps for a lot of tracks today thinking today is it.So if racing stops the only thing left I can think of is Australian Footbool,The afl starts next week with no fans as well.Our Local Theaters have now shut down.

dilanesp
03-13-2020, 02:06 PM
It would never happen, but this would actually be a great time for Congress to pass an online poker bill.

Track Phantom
03-13-2020, 03:29 PM
I'm not so sure on this one. Racing is uniquely positioned to continue. Horses need the exercise in order to survive. This can't stop. Racing doesn't need fans to basically produce the same product and ADW's take care of the in face betting factor. While there are people still involved, it is at a dramatically reduced number. There are a lot more people at HEB, the casinos, etc. that are still open. Unless racing gets such bad publicity (like that would ever happen, LOL) then I think they keep going, and should. The logistics to continue with very limited risk are there.

Now, all that being said is my opinion just as long as the decision to do so is in their hands.

dilanesp
03-13-2020, 03:32 PM
I'm not so sure on this one. Racing is uniquely positioned to continue. Horses need the exercise in order to survive. This can't stop. Racing doesn't need fans to basically produce the same product and ADW's take care of the in face betting factor. While there are people still involved, it is at a dramatically reduced number. There are a lot more people at HEB, the casinos, etc. that are still open. Unless racing gets such bad publicity (like that would ever happen, LOL) then I think they keep going, and should. The logistics to continue with very limited risk are there.

Now, all that being said is my opinion just as long as the decision to do so is in their hands.

It is theoretically possible for horse racing to continue, I suppose.

The TC, pretty obviously, can't.

Track Phantom
03-13-2020, 03:39 PM
It is theoretically possible for horse racing to continue, I suppose.

The TC, pretty obviously, can't.
Not in its current state. They could hold the races, and the TV revenue might be pretty decent considering there may not be other sports televised at that time. But they would lose all of the facility revenue (fans, concessions, etc). That might make the discussion, in and of itself, moot.

dilanesp
03-13-2020, 05:00 PM
Not in its current state. They could hold the races, and the TV revenue might be pretty decent considering there may not be other sports televised at that time. But they would lose all of the facility revenue (fans, concessions, etc). That might make the discussion, in and of itself, moot.

No, they can't. At a TC race, the media alone is 1,000 people or more. Plus every owner in these big syndicates. Grooms, hot walkers, trainers, jockeys, exercise riders, track personnel, even some mutuel clerks. Plus the horsemen for the other races.

That's what other sports have realized. Operating without spectators doesn't solve the problem.

Tom
03-13-2020, 05:31 PM
They need to ORDER all casainos to close.
Allowing them to run is ridiculous.

Put more people than the track draws all t ogher inside a smaller place and have all touch repeatedly every machine all day and night.

Stupid to allow.

Tracks do not need people.

I grew up at Finger Lakes.....we got by without people.
I called once and asked them what was post time for the first race.

"What time can you get here?"

When I got there, they didn't play the National Anthem, they played "Feelings."

Saratoga_Mike
03-13-2020, 05:38 PM
Churchill Downs - all live races beginning immediately through the remainder of the racing meet ending March 29 will be conducted spectator-free

castaway01
03-13-2020, 05:52 PM

"TV revenue" is already determined by rights fees negotiated years ago. The current Kentucky Derby TV rights were negotiated and signed by NBC in 2014 and continue through 2025. So that won't change or grow based on being the only game in town.

Handle might be okay, but it would have to be ALL wagering from home. There is a lot of money made on the Derby through admissions and concessions. I guess if they just wanted the handle they could try to pull it off, but I don't know what advantage there is for the negative PR they would get. Maybe if the situation drastically improves in the next few weeks...

therussmeister
03-13-2020, 07:17 PM

I have heard Parx has cancelled for at least two weeks, but can't find any confirmation, not even on their website.

I think tracks that don't own an ADW are likely to cancel, but others might hold on a little longer.

classhandicapper
03-13-2020, 07:29 PM

How are the casinos open?

That's like begging for a problem.

cj
03-13-2020, 07:33 PM
I have heard Parx has cancelled for at least two weeks, but can't find any confirmation, not even on their website.

I think tracks that don't own an ADW are likely to cancel, but others might hold on a little longer.

Same, if true they aren't telling anyone yet.

Nitro
03-13-2020, 09:46 PM
In the meantime, racing continues in the backyard from where this virus originated and is at its worst in terms of the number of those people who have been affected is still running as strong as ever, even with the restrictions of limiting the crowds from attending.

That’s right! The Hong Kong racing circuit is and has continued to operate its normal schedule twice a week. Yes, the overall betting pools sizes have been affected a little bit:
These are just the Win/Place Pool amounts from Sha Tin last Sun morning EST.
(Divide by 5 for equivalent in US $)

R#1 - 19,945,988 / 17,118,958 (~7,2 MIL US$) R#6 - 24,466,017 / 15,475,338 (~8.0 MIL US$)
R#2 - 17,334,870 / 15,889,596 (~6.3 MIL US$) R#7 - 24,371,626 / 20,118,368 (~8.9 MIL US$)
R#3 - 22,549,252 / 20,288,447 (~8.3 MIL US$) R#8 - 24,967,856 / 21,507,265 (~9.1 MIL US$)
R#4 - 22,412,338 / 11,427,051(~6.4 MIL US$) R#9 - 29,703,016 / 23,764,405 (~10.3 MIL US$)
R#5 - 23,992,234 / 18,893,264 (~8.3 MIL US$) R#10 - 30,372,678 / 27,432,150 (~11.2 MIL US$)

That’s right!
Now do the math and add each race’s US$ to arrive at the Win/Place Total for a single 10 Race card.
Lastly, compare that to ALL the betting pools combined for every track in the U.S. for an entire Month
They do it in the heart of a virus epidemic. Why can't we do it too?

BTW for those who might have some interest there's another great 10 race card at Sha Tin SAT morning. First post 1AM EST.

dilanesp
03-13-2020, 09:52 PM
Hong Kong, so far, has the coronavirus under control.

rrpic6
03-13-2020, 10:26 PM
How are the casinos open?

That's like begging for a problem.

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has ordered all of Ohio's Casinos/Racinos to immediately close their doors as of 9:00PM 3/13/2020. A Friday The 13th Nightmare to remember.

RR

therussmeister
03-13-2020, 10:32 PM
Bloodhorse.com reports that today's handle at Aqueduct was up 28% Compared to March 8, 2019.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/239057/racing-goes-on-at-a-quiet-aqueduct

mountainman
03-13-2020, 10:45 PM

In my world, Mahoning is the first domino. I knew it was teetering. WV schools now officially closed, btw.

mountainman
03-13-2020, 10:50 PM
Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has ordered all of Ohio's Casinos/Racinos to immediately close their doors as of 9:00PM 3/13/2020. A Friday The 13th Nightmare to remember.

RR

had heard it was imminent. bitter pill. and ominous for the industry.

cutchemist42
03-13-2020, 11:17 PM
https://twitter.com/theyreoff/status/1238657646728753153?s=19

coachv30
03-13-2020, 11:30 PM
Back to the TC.....does it even hold the weight or prestige that it used to now that we've seen two TC winners in the past 5 years? Speaking for myself, I find it just as enjoyable (if not more) betting a card of 15K claimers and 35K ALW races as I do those TC cards.

dilanesp
03-14-2020, 12:22 AM
Back to the TC.....does it even hold the weight or prestige that it used to now that we've seen two TC winners in the past 5 years? Speaking for myself, I find it just as enjoyable (if not more) betting a card of 15K claimers and 35K ALW races as I do those TC cards.

It (and more accurately the Derby) is the only thing we do that reaches non-racing fans.

ReplayRandall
03-14-2020, 12:41 AM
It (and more accurately the Derby) is the only thing we do that reaches non-racing fans.
With the cancelation of all major league sports, what does that leave for the action bettors to do?....Poker and ponies....They'll close the casinos next, don't want those pesky lawsuits when customers start getting sick, all of the sudden, and they "mysteriously" will.

In times of manufactured crisis, like this, cons of all kinds will be exploited in every industry, ways of extracting every dollar they can beg, borrow or steal....The Show's just getting started folks, grab a seat and some popcorn, relax and have a few laughs...:popcorn::pound::popcorn:

thaskalos
03-14-2020, 12:48 AM
This is one of those rare times when the hardcore gambler will be left with nothing else to do but to rediscover his family.

ReplayRandall
03-14-2020, 12:50 AM
This is one of those rare times when the hardcore gambler will be left with nothing else to do but to rediscover his family.
"The Family" has other plans for you....Don't let them find you..:eek:

thaskalos
03-14-2020, 12:52 AM
"The Family" has other plans for you....Don't let them find you..:eek:

No one has enough balls to come after me.

ReplayRandall
03-14-2020, 12:55 AM
No one has enough balls to come after me.Your Bookie already has you "by the balls"....Let go of the façade..:headbanger:

thaskalos
03-14-2020, 12:59 AM
Your Bookie already has you "by the balls"....Let go of the façade..:headbanger:

Now that the sports are over with...my bookie has applied for a job as a bagger at a local supermarket.

dilanesp
03-14-2020, 02:14 AM
With the cancelation of all major league sports, what does that leave for the action bettors to do?....Poker and ponies....They'll close the casinos next, don't want those pesky lawsuits when customers start getting sick, all of the sudden, and they "mysteriously" will.

In times of manufactured crisis, like this, cons of all kinds will be exploited in every industry, ways of extracting every dollar they can beg, borrow or steal....The Show's just getting started folks, grab a seat and some popcorn, relax and have a few laughs...:popcorn::pound::popcorn:

This isn't a manufactured crisis.

Powerful rich people who are making tons of money conspire to... tank the world's economy and lose their fortunes? That doesn't happen.

To answer your question, online poker would be a real answer here, if we could get people to legalize it.

ReplayRandall
03-14-2020, 02:19 AM
This isn't a manufactured crisis.

The Media's overblown HYPE, does make it a manufactured crisis, such that Norway shuts down it's country with not one single death from CV...Just so you know.

thaskalos
03-14-2020, 02:36 AM
The Media's overblown HYPE, does make it a manufactured crisis, such that Norway shuts down it's country with not one single death from CV...Just so you know.

Norway has 1,000 CV positives, and 1 death...and the country only has a population of 5.4 million. Compare that to Canada...which has 200 CV positives and 1 death, for a population of 37.8 million. Considering Norway's size...the number of positives that they have is ASTOUNDING. Just so you know...

ReplayRandall
03-14-2020, 02:38 AM
Norway has 1,000 CV positives, and 1 death...and the country only has a population of 5.4 million. Compare that to Canada...which has 200 CV positives and 1 death, for a population of 37.8 million. Considering Norway's size...the number of positives that they have is ASTOUNDING. Just so you know...
Not from CV, no deaths.

thaskalos
03-14-2020, 02:41 AM
Not from CV, no deaths.

Here you go:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/countries-where-coronavirus-has-spread/

Jayhawk6191
03-14-2020, 09:43 AM
I grew up at Finger Lakes.....we got by without people.
I called once and asked them what was post time for the first race.

"What time can you get here?"

When I got there, they didn't play the National Anthem, they played "Feelings."
:D:D:D Well done Tom

burnsy
03-14-2020, 10:48 AM

Yeah, cause they know what they are doing. This is the problem with people. You listen to any contagious disease expert and its basically math. once it starts, the spread is an exponential number. This just started....the peak could be millions. Seattle already cant keep up. My sister lives there. One of her co workers got sick Monday and was dead by Thursday. I have friends in Westchester County under quarantine. The entire neighborhood is. I had another friend that said it was a hoax...changed his tune last night when he found out a family member has it and is not doing well. Now he says its the worst thing the world has seen...gee, why? You said they made it up?

Of course the media is hyping this....that's what they do. But no one you know or you wants to tangle with this. Getting sick is the least of your worries if you are young and healthy....its who you pass it to. Norway looks like a genius , its too late here ….its in. And no, there probably wont be a derby. If there is most likely no one will be in attendance. Lets just wait 3 or 4 weeks and see what happens. This could be really bad here. That's why its a mess...lets wait til people die before we close down and test people. :bang: Brilliant! For Gods sake, I hope you are right. But this ain't looking good.

therussmeister
03-14-2020, 12:45 PM
Due to the coronavirus Gulfstream has banned use of the hotbox therefore all horses carry an additional three pounds.

clicknow
03-14-2020, 01:59 PM

I didn't realize Norway had so many positives, til you posted so I looked. Norway, Sweden, Denmark 800-ish and close to 1000 positives for Norway......Switzerland almost 1400.

I wonder how Canada is doing so well with only 200 positives?

I'm thinking PNW will do something major soon ...

Secondbest
03-14-2020, 02:16 PM
Yonkers has announced that the Casino will be closed for about 2 weeks.

Secondbest
03-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Hong Kong, so far, has the coronavirus under control.

How do you know. They lie about everything over there.

classhandicapper
03-14-2020, 04:19 PM
Yonkers has announced that the Casino will be closed for about 2 weeks.

No casino in this country should be open. It's so far beyond idiotic I can't even comprehend it. Putting extra people at risk in close quarters handling money and chips so they can gamble? :bang:

I feel terrible for healthcare providers and even people working checkout at drugstores and supermarkets. They are superheros.

Track Phantom
03-14-2020, 04:31 PM
No casino in this country should be open. It's so far beyond idiotic I can't even comprehend it. Putting extra people at risk in close quarters handling money and chips so they can gamble? :bang:

I feel terrible for healthcare providers and even people working checkout at drugstores and supermarkets. They are superheros.
Agree 100%. All of these businesses shutting down and casino's stay open. There isn't a more vulnerable group in a more contagious environment than a casino (short of a nursing home, I guess). It's extraordinarily irresponsible.

Clocker
03-14-2020, 05:13 PM

That would be people voluntarily putting themselves in close quarters. :p

Clocker
03-14-2020, 05:25 PM
Churchill Downs - all live races beginning immediately through the remainder of the racing meet ending March 29 will be conducted spectator-free

A lot of other tracks are already doing the same thing, including Santa Anita, Golden Gate, Gulfstream, Aqueduct, Keenland, Laurel, Turfway, and Oaklawn.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/coronavirus-stronach-group-closes-santa-anita-golden-gate-to-public-racing-to-continue/

classhandicapper
03-15-2020, 09:37 AM
That would be people voluntarily putting themselves in close quarters. :p

I understand your point, but then they putting everyone they come into contact with at extra risk. So it's not like it's just jumping out of a plane with a faulty parachute alone. Someone has to be the adult in the room and close the casinos.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 12:20 PM
They finally closed the card casinos in LA.

deelo
03-15-2020, 01:19 PM
They just closed Laurel. I'm sure there's more to come.

I don't get it. There is no social gathering in spectator-free racing.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 01:36 PM
They just closed Laurel. I'm sure there's more to come.

There's still a lot of people on track who can get it.

And on big race days there is still a gathering. I did a double take when I saw the Rebel winners circle yesterday. Huge gathering all close together to take the photo. Very bad.

You can see it at the end of this video.

https://youtu.be/Oz7y-97ldi4

clicknow
03-15-2020, 01:39 PM

I don't get it either. I CAN go to the track (place my tickets online at home) and then just stand OUTSIDE in the fresh air, a few feet away from others, and enjoy the day watching horses.

Inside the casino you not only have all that indoor pollution from smokers, but now you're in a closed up space with buttons, chips, and cash and coins and atm's that 1,000 other hands have touched.

clicknow
03-15-2020, 01:40 PM

And on big race days there is still a gathering. I did a double take when I saw the Rebel winners circle yesterday. Huge gathering all close together to take the photo. Very bad.

At least the winner's circle is out in the open air. I think that "may" help a little bit, I don't know? I think they all need to stand some distance from each other though.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 01:57 PM
At least the winner's circle is out in the open air. I think that "may" help a little bit, I don't know? I think they all need to stand some distance from each other though.

Those people were more concerned with a pretty picture than the virus. And Oaklawn management was dumb to take the picture. This is the sort of thing that can get them shut down.

deelo
03-15-2020, 02:16 PM

I just think the point is to shut down large gatherings to slow the spread. We can't just single isolate. A lot of people still have to go to work, to the supermarket, to the gas station. Without the crowd, a group of 100 or so on-track to run the races isn't a big deal. It's going to eventually spread everywhere and the idea behind limiting gatherings isn't to kill it, it's just to slow it down for now.

deelo
03-15-2020, 02:50 PM
Sunland Derby cancelled.

The dominoes are starting to fall.

cj
03-15-2020, 02:54 PM
If people don't realize by now how dangerous this thing is, it is because they don't want to know. Can't imagine racing, even with no spectators, can go on much longer. The Derby is almost sure to be delayed, like 99.99%.

deelo
03-15-2020, 03:09 PM
If people don't realize by now how dangerous this thing is, it is because they don't want to know. Can't imagine racing, even with no spectators, can go on much longer. The Derby is almost sure to be delayed, like 99.99%.

I think you're right. Many tracks will start falling in line and shutting down completely.

It's not that I don't take it seriously but I think no-spectator racing falls in line with limiting large crowds. You aren't going to beat or kill this virus. It's here to stay so we limit crowds to give the hospitals a break but still conduct business so as to not put all the horsemen into financially devastating circumstances.

GMB@BP
03-15-2020, 03:46 PM

i think the economic fallout might dwarf everything else, say a million people die (likely most of my unhealthy family), that leaves 349 million people to survive on the economy that would make the last recession look like the roaring 20's.

Derby may be practically ceremonial whenever they run it.

castaway01
03-15-2020, 04:27 PM
I think you're right. Many tracks will start falling in line and shutting down completely.

It's not that I don't take it seriously but I think no-spectator racing falls in line with limiting large crowds. You aren't going to beat or kill this virus. It's here to stay so we limit crowds to give the hospitals a break but still conduct business so as to not put all the horsemen into financially devastating circumstances.

We've declared a national emergency. Everyone from the president on down to local city councils have advised people not to travel, not to gather in groups, to prevent the spread of the virus and protect the most vulnerable people. How many million other people are in the same position right now? The entire service industry, health care workers, nursing home staff, airlines, travel industry, retail employees, all facing either health risks or financial disaster. There is nothing special about racetracks that should exempt them from not having to follow the same rules we're all being told to follow.

thaskalos
03-15-2020, 04:32 PM
I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that all the racetracks in the country will be completely shut down by this upcoming Friday.

Track Phantom
03-15-2020, 04:38 PM
I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that all the racetracks in the country will be completely shut down by this upcoming Friday.
I posted this yesterday. The horses have to exercise and racing provides that exercise. With no fans on the grounds it would seem the risk is limited. But, in the end, you're probably going to be correct.

Clocker
03-15-2020, 04:38 PM
In light of the serious public health emergency created by the COVID-19 pandemic, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has issued an emergency order to close all Maryland casinos, racetracks, and simulcast betting facilities to the general public indefinitely.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/maryland-governor-orders-shut-down-of-all-racetracks-casinos-simulcast-facilities/

An easy PR move no one can argue against because they are all places of evil. Why is a casino a public health hazard but a crowded church is no problem?

Clocker
03-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Churchill Downs says it will announce its decision on the Derby this coming week.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/churchill-downs-expects-to-announce-derby-decision-in-the-coming-week/

thaskalos
03-15-2020, 04:48 PM
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/maryland-governor-orders-shut-down-of-all-racetracks-casinos-simulcast-facilities/

An easy PR move no one can argue against because they are all places of evil. Why is a casino a public health hazard but a crowded church is no problem?

Because there is a higher power protecting the church-going crowd...whereas the gamblers are left unprotected from above.

Clocker
03-15-2020, 04:54 PM
Because there is a higher power protecting the church-going crowd...whereas the gamblers are left unprotected from above.
I've heard a lot louder and more fervent appeals to above at race tracks than I have ever heard in a church.

Robert Fischer
03-15-2020, 05:05 PM

I hope not.

In a week or so, there will be a significantly higher amount of actual and reported cases in the US.

That and there will be some significant industry cases.

That, and the Derby/Triple-Crown dilemma will be another elephant in the room.

I wish that we could keep are assistants and low-risk industry members working, implement some safety protocols, and keep the band playing on. Would be a hell of a distraction for all of us. Seems like a long shot.

jimmy m
03-15-2020, 05:05 PM
My Church here in Iowa has shut down for rest of the month.Lot of churches are going on line.Just read they are closing the beaches of Ft Lauderdale and telling spring breakers to stay off the beach beginning Monday.Bars are now closing in Ohio too I believe.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 05:07 PM

It isn't no problem.. It's that the First Amendment and religious freedom statutes make closing churches harder to do.

azeri98
03-15-2020, 05:07 PM
No way they cancel the Derby/Oaks. CDI makes most of their profit off those two days. If it's cancelled purses at all their tracks will take big hits.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 05:08 PM
Churchill Downs says it will announce its decision on the Derby this coming week.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/churchill-downs-expects-to-announce-derby-decision-in-the-coming-week/

Hopefully they do the right thing and cancel it entirely.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 05:09 PM
I hope not.

In a week or so, there will be a significantly higher amount of actual and reported cases in the US.

That and there will be some significant industry cases.

That, and the Derby/Triple-Crown dilemma will be another elephant in the room.

I wish that we could keep are assistants and low-risk industry members working, implement some safety protocols, and keep the band playing on. Would be a hell of a distraction for all of us. Seems like a long shot.

We need online poker and gaming. It will never pass, but it should.

thaskalos
03-15-2020, 05:11 PM
I've heard a lot louder and more fervent appeals to above at race tracks than I have ever heard in a church.

True...you hear God's name mentioned a lot at the track. But it isn't exactly in the form of a "prayer".

cj
03-15-2020, 05:26 PM
True...you hear God's name mentioned a lot at the track. But it isn't exactly in the form of a "prayer".

Worked for Trotter in Let It Ride. :)

cj
03-15-2020, 05:26 PM

Haven't you made this post like 8 times now?

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 05:30 PM
Haven't you made this post like 8 times now?

3 times. But how many posts have said "keep the tracks open so we can gambollllll"?

Blenheim
03-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Hopefully they do the right thing and cancel it entirely.

Tracks running races w/o fans this weekend gives CDI precedent to run the Derby w/o fans.

The Derby must go on!

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 05:47 PM
Tracks running races w/o fans this weekend gives CDI precedent to run the Derby w/o fans.

The Derby must go on!

Not the same thing. There's going to be a gigantic media presence at the Derby that isn't there at these other tracks.

Indeed, given sportswriters and sportscasters are starving for content, the media presence would probably be larger than a typical Derby.

deelo
03-15-2020, 05:53 PM

The Derby must go on!

CDI already said they wouldn't run without fans. There's probably a lot of business that depend on that weekend. Better to postpone than to run w/o the crowd.

thaskalos
03-15-2020, 06:04 PM

Have you tried pitching this idea to the proper authorities? This might be just the right time. :ThmbUp:

cj
03-15-2020, 06:10 PM
3 times. But how many posts have said "keep the tracks open so we can gambollllll"?

I haven't really to be honest. I'm pretty observant which is why I remembered yours, not trying to single you out.

Tom
03-15-2020, 06:10 PM
At least we have on line chess......not much else to do.
I think TV should start showing reruns of SURVIVORMAN, just in case.....

Tom
03-15-2020, 06:13 PM

Baffert mentioned that yesterday i an interview - said he hope they don't move it, but what are you going to do.....

Tom
03-15-2020, 06:15 PM

Oh yeah?
WHERE are you gonna BET IT! :lol:

Tom
03-15-2020, 06:19 PM
No way they cancel the Derby/Oaks. CDI makes most of their profit off those two days. If it's cancelled purses at all their tracks will take big hits.

Will not likely their decision in the end. NO way the state lets it go on while this is still out there.

Already seeing streamers on TV about isolated towns in the area advising people to only go out for food or work. Pretty soon, I think we will see local bans on people being outside in public.

castaway01
03-15-2020, 06:22 PM
I think TV should start showing reruns of SURVIVORMAN, just in case.....

I liked that show! Not so much now that it's real life and all...

deelo
03-15-2020, 06:23 PM
We will see if this holds up or not. May see some intervention from the governor on this?

Posted by Andy Serling-
Thanks to everyone that joined us for this weekend's action at #Aqueduct. As mentioned, we have already drawn Friday's card. Next weekend we are scheduled to be on FS1 all day long, Friday thru Sunday with action, in HD, from around the country.

clicknow
03-15-2020, 06:26 PM
And on big race days there is still a gathering. I did a double take when I saw the Rebel winners circle yesterday. Huge gathering all close together to take the photo.

It sort of humorous to worry about 5 or 6 people standing outside for a photograph in the face of this....if you want to do a double take that will give you whiplash, here's the airport ... now THAT's social distancing! And this is only one of the airports here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETGqPQEX0AMu-lR?format=jpg&name=small

Robert Fischer
03-15-2020, 06:26 PM
We will see if this holds up or not. May see some intervention from the governor on this?

Posted by Andy Serling-
Thanks to everyone that joined us for this weekend's action at #Aqueduct. As mentioned, we have already drawn Friday's card. Next weekend we are scheduled to be on FS1 all day long, Friday thru Sunday with action, in HD, from around the country.

I don't get your point.

Does the governor not like FS1?

cj
03-15-2020, 06:34 PM
I don't get your point.

The governor in Maryland shut down racing in Maryland. It can happen other places too, and likely will.

classhandicapper
03-15-2020, 06:42 PM

Tomorrow starts the Candidates Tournament. That's the tournament to see who is going earn the opportunity to face the world chess champion later this year. Magnus Carlsen is the champion. He's at least in the early stages of being in the conversation for greatest player ever.

It's a double round robin event with 8 of the greatest players on the planet outside the champion.

You can follow the moves here:

https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2020-candidates-chess-tournament

I'm sure there will be several streaming shows where they analyze the action also.

Caruana and Liren are the favorites (ranked #2 and 3# behind the champion).

Caruana won it last time. He played the champion to all draws and arguably had the better chances to win, but eventually lost in a tiebreaker where they play a more rapid form of chess and the champion is much better.

I think Nepomniachtchi is a live longshot. He's kind of an in and out player, but on his good days, he's brilliant enough to beat anyone. If he goes on a roll at the right time (now) he could shock everyone.

Here are the current chess rankings.

https://2700chess.com/

Tom
03-15-2020, 06:46 PM
Tomorrow starts the Candidates Tournament.

I remember following the Spasky/Fischer matches in the 60s.
Big stories in the papers every day, with the little chess maps of
the winning moves.....big deal at the time.

Deja vu!

deelo
03-15-2020, 06:56 PM
The governor in Maryland shut down racing in Maryland. It can happen other places too, and likely will.

So now they seem to be racing after all? Man, I can't keep up with all these announcements.

Rosecroft to Temporarily Close
March 15, 2020

MARYLAND JOCKEY CLUB TO TEMPORARILY CLOSE LAUREL PARK, PIMLICO AND ROSECROFT RACEWAY TO THE PUBLIC IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19; RACES TO CONTINUE WITH LICENSED PERSONNEL

LAUREL, MD - With the utmost regard for the safety and well-being of our customers and employees and in following the best available guidance from local and international health authorities, the Maryland Jockey Club will temporarily close Laurel Park, Pimlico Race Course and Rosecroft Raceway to the public effective immediately.

The Maryland Jockey Club at Laurel Park and Rosecroft Raceway will continue live racing as scheduled with personnel licensed by the Maryland Racing Commission in attendance which will provide our fans at home with the opportunity to stay connected via our 1/ST BET and Xpressbet apps.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will look forward to welcoming our fans and guests again soon.

deelo
03-15-2020, 06:58 PM
I don't get your point.

I just meant Arizona and New Mexico shut down at the direction of the governor so Aqueduct could too. I thought Maryland was shut down as well but that may not be true now.

cj
03-15-2020, 07:12 PM
So now they seem to be racing after all? Man, I can't keep up with all these announcements.

I guess they are ready to fight the governor on this? Good luck with that.

Muddy
03-15-2020, 07:14 PM
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has issued an emergency order to close all Maryland casinos, racetracks, and simulcast betting facilities to the general public indefinitely, in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The emergency order takes effect at midnight on Monday, March 16, and will remain in effect until the state of emergency has been terminated or until superseded by other orders. The following facilities will be affected:

MGM National Harbor
Live! Casino & Hotel
Horseshoe Casino Baltimore
Hollywood Casino Perryville
Ocean Downs Casino
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Laurel Park
Pimlico Race Course
Timonium Race Course
Fair Hill Races
Rosecroft Raceway
Ocean Downs
All simulcast betting facilities in the state
The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency will work with casinos to facilitate the termination of operations.

deelo
03-15-2020, 07:16 PM

Yeah, right. I imagine they back down.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 07:34 PM
It sort of humorous to worry about 5 or 6 people standing outside for a photograph in the face of this....if you want to do a double take that will give you whiplash, here's the airport ... now THAT's social distancing! And this is only one of the airports here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETGqPQEX0AMu-lR?format=jpg&name=small

It wasn't 5 or 6. It was a large number, a crowded winner's circle, bunched together.

therussmeister
03-15-2020, 09:25 PM

From what I read Laurel management is not sure whether the governor's order prohibits racing without spectators. They are seeking a clarification.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 10:12 PM
The CDC is saying no events with more than 50 people for the next 60 days. That definitely means no Derby, and it probably means no horse racing at all.

clicknow
03-15-2020, 10:27 PM
The CDC is saying no events with more than 50 people for the next 60 days. That definitely means no Derby, and it probably means no horse racing at all.

Maybe I'm not thinking about this right. In which case I know ya'll will let me know.

But horses don't need spectators to run in races.

Get rid of the stuff like what went on at OP with people standing in winners circle shoulder-to-shoulder to pose for photos..... just let the horses race? The barns have to keep working anyway, everyone still needs the $$ and people can bet from home.

Why is this a bad idea?

Yes we won't get to enjoy the pomp and circumstance, and pretty hats, but at least we keep the economy of racing going? People need their paychecks and winnings to pay trainers, workers, etc.

This virus stuff could extend deep into Fall. Who's going to pay to feed the horses? They have to run for their keep as it is. Most everyone can bet online now anyway. (and they do).

I'm all for containment. Closing schools, kids can still learn online, etc. So we all live in an online world for a while......seems like most people do that anyway. :)

thaskalos
03-15-2020, 10:36 PM
Maybe I'm not thinking about this right. In which case I know ya'll will let me know.

But horses don't need spectators to run in races.

Get rid of the stuff like what went on at OP with people standing in winners circle shoulder-to-shoulder to pose for photos..... just let the horses race? The barns have to keep working anyway, everyone still needs the $$ and people can bet from home.

Why is this a bad idea?

Yes we won't get to enjoy the pomp and circumstance, and pretty hats, but at least we keep the economy of racing going? People need their paychecks and winnings to pay trainers, workers, etc.

This virus stuff could extend deep into Fall. Who's going to pay to feed the horses? They have to run for their keep as it is. Most everyone can bet online now anyway. (and they do).

When the racetracks start calculating the expense of having to fund the race purses without the benefit of their casinos and their on track customer-generated commerce...how receptive will they be of the long-term prospects of such a venture? It isn't as if this customerless experiment is guaranteed to be a short-term affair.

clicknow
03-15-2020, 10:44 PM
When the racetracks start calculating the expense of having to fund the race purses without the benefit of their casinos and their on track customer-generated commerce...how receptive will they be of the long-term prospects of such a venture? It isn't as if this customerless experiment is guaranteed to be a short-term affair.

Most tracks have about 1/8 the real life customers they used to have. People bet from home. Whales and CRW Teams are pushing money thru computer terminals. They aren't at the track.

Okay, the restaurants, the beer stands, the $2-$5 parking lot fees don't get paid......and yeah, the casinos, which isn't small potatoes, but the computer generated $$ can actually still be income for the tracks. ??? at least in the short term?

We can't worry about 4-6 months from now. This virus circled the globe and did it very fast. . Once it's life blood is cut off and more contained, this will all go on the back burner. Right now we do have to contain it.......but that will eventually do what it's designed to do (IMHO)

Isn't some money better than no money? But I guess you are right....how to fund purses, esp. when they are raising them all the time.....maybe everybody backs off from that for a while, too?

thaskalos
03-15-2020, 10:49 PM
Most tracks have about 1/8 the real life customers they used to have. People bet from home. Whales and CRW Teams are pushing money thru computer terminals. They aren't at the track.

Okay, the restaurants, the beer stands, the $2-$5 parking lot fees don't get paid......and yeah, the casinos, which isn't small potatoes, but the computer generated $$ can actually still be income for the tracks. ??? at least in the short term?

We can't worry about 4-6 months from now. This virus circled the globe and did it very fast. . Once it's life blood is cut off and more contained, this will all go on the back burner. Right now we do have to contain it.......but that will eventually do what it's designed to do (IMHO)

Isn't some money better than no money?

That depends. If the racetrack suspends operations entirely for a period of time...then there is no income...but there is also no expense. If a racetrack chooses to continue racing while operating at a financial loss...then running "customerless" would be costlier than not running at all.

PS...

Sorry...I didn't see the late addition to your post.

clicknow
03-15-2020, 10:55 PM
That depends. If the racetrack suspends operations entirely for a period of time...then there is no income...but there is also no expense. If a racetrack chooses to continue racing while operating at a financial loss...then running "customerless" would be costlier than not running at all.

I thought this article, though brief and not complex, tells succintly that this isn't the first time. There is perspective in history:

https://time.com/5799582/epidemics-economies-history/

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2020, 10:58 PM
Gotta roll back to the 1800s to find something similar...hilarious.

Surprised all this didn't happen the last time the USA was faced with a bonafide pandemic...way back in 193....er....2009.

Clocker
03-15-2020, 11:00 PM
If the racetrack suspends operations entirely for a period of time...then there is no income...but there is also no expense.
There are always expenses. Maintenance, wages, insurance, debt payments, utilities, taxes, etc., etc.

thaskalos
03-15-2020, 11:05 PM
There are always expenses. Maintenance, wages, insurance, debt payments, utilities, taxes, etc., etc.

Tracks run seasonally and then close down...such expenses notwithstanding.

dilanesp
03-15-2020, 11:18 PM
Gotta roll back to the 1800s to find something similar...hilarious.

Surprised all this didn't happen the last time the USA was faced with a bonafide pandemic...way back in 193....er....2009.

Not the same.

If you want to talk about 1918, though, you can.

Clocker
03-15-2020, 11:30 PM
Tracks run seasonally and then close down...such expenses notwithstanding.

Not any more in the brave new world of simulcasting. Many tracks are open to some degree year around, regardless of their live racing schedules.

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2020, 11:43 PM
Not the same.

If you want to talk about 1918, though, you can.

"Both newspapers and scientific journals frequently state three facts about the Spanish flu: It infected 500 million people (nearly one-third of the world population at the time); it killed between 50 and 100 million people; and it had a case fatality rate of 2.5 percent. This is not mathematically possible."

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-is-nothing-like-the-spanish-flu/

deelo
03-15-2020, 11:48 PM
Oaklawn just announced intentions to race spectator-free next weekend. Casino is closed.

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 12:23 AM
"Both newspapers and scientific journals frequently state three facts about the Spanish flu: It infected 500 million people (nearly one-third of the world population at the time); it killed between 50 and 100 million people; and it had a case fatality rate of 2.5 percent. This is not mathematically possible."

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-is-nothing-like-the-spanish-flu/

We don't yet know how this will turn out, and secondary bacterial infections are not the issue they were back then.

But 1918 is still the closest recent analogue. Certainly 100 times more analogous than 2009.

People shouldn't minimize this. Many people will die and it will throw the economy into a Depression.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2020, 12:28 AM
it will throw the economy into a Depression.Now you're getting warm.

This is a horse racing thread...so stick to that part of the topic...that goes for both of us. There is a huge thread in off topic for CV.

clicknow
03-16-2020, 12:45 AM
Oaklawn just announced intentions to race spectator-free next weekend. Casino is closed.

And right after all their expansion. A shame.

So they will race. That's good. The Rebel raced spectator free. Cella family has been at this for 116 years now, I think they can handle it.

I guess they can just be working on building out the hotel and stuff, more than enough things to work on....it's already paid for. Hot Springs is not totally dependent on Oaklawn but it does bring in tourists.. Other than that the town operates fine most of the year w/out it.

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 01:03 AM
Now you're getting warm.

This is a horse racing thread...so stick to that part of the topic...that goes for both of us. There is a huge thread in off topic for CV.

I will say this- which is horse racing related. I don't think people in the racing world have given any thought to what happens down the line to the industry, which is a much dicier issue than whether the Derby gets put off or nixed. The industry wasn't exactly healthy going into this thing, and a big contraction in the larger economy could be very bad for our sport.

cj
03-16-2020, 02:19 AM
I will say this- which is horse racing related. I don't think people in the racing world have given any thought to what happens down the line to the industry, which is a much dicier issue than whether the Derby gets put off or nixed. The industry wasn't exactly healthy going into this thing, and a big contraction in the larger economy could be very bad for our sport.

A lot of people have said there are too many tracks, or at the least, race days, for the current horse populations and pointed at the racinos as a big part of the problem. We could very well see some tracks go by the wayside as far as horse racing goes because of this.

clicknow
03-16-2020, 05:19 AM
Oaklawn continues racing (w/out spectators) but closes their casino.

In case anyone doubts where they stand. They know what put them on the map.

I'm delighted and hope they can keep it up.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2020, 12:13 PM
I will say this- which is horse racing related. I don't think people in the racing world have given any thought to what happens down the line to the industry, which is a much dicier issue than whether the Derby gets put off or nixed. The industry wasn't exactly healthy going into this thing, and a big contraction in the larger economy could be very bad for our sport.There is no doubt the longer this goes on, the UGLIER it's gonna get for the entire industry. And it won't take that much longer til UGLIER arrives.

jimmy m
03-16-2020, 01:09 PM
Local News reports coming in That Prairie Meadows will close for 30 days beginning today at 5pm.No news about the track. Doubt racing will begin May1 if at all.

therussmeister
03-16-2020, 03:49 PM
Canterbury has closed their card room, Simulcasting, and events center, but as of now are still planning for live racing which is scheduled to start in mid May.

GMB@BP
03-16-2020, 04:12 PM
Sounds like NYRA will continue to run.

i mean, the grooms still have to take of the live animals. if everyone just does there thing your talking about very little social contact really to run a race. Should be a limit on owners coming to the track to watch the race and would should be a max couple hundred people spread out at a large venue.

There is more people in thousands of grocery stores right now.

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 04:21 PM
Sounds like NYRA will continue to run.

i mean, the grooms still have to take of the live animals. if everyone just does there thing your talking about very little social contact really to run a race. Should be a limit on owners coming to the track to watch the race and would should be a max couple hundred people spread out at a large venue.

There is more people in thousands of grocery stores right now.

Honestly, no track has the guts to do it, but if tracks insist on continuing to run, why not say no owners at all? They aren't essential.

cj
03-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Honestly, no track has the guts to do it, but if tracks insist on continuing to run, why not say no owners at all? They aren't essential.

NYRA did. Owners are not allowed.

Nitro
03-16-2020, 04:27 PM
There is no doubt the longer this goes on, the UGLIER it's gonna get for the entire industry. And it won't take that much longer til UGLIER arrives.

Everyone here seems to be referring to the Stateside racing operations. Perhaps its time for players to start thinking about expanding their horizons. As I’ve mentioned, the racing in Hong Kong is rolling along without a hitch so far in spite of both this virus and the political unrest.
They’ve got their act together that’s for sure! It’s a sad commentary when a recognizably superior racing product and the way the principals at the HKJC are handling these things can’t be emulated in at least some respects here in the States.
Yes, there's racing without attendance, but there's so much more that could and should be done to improve the local racing.

dilanesp
03-16-2020, 04:29 PM
NYRA did. Owners are not allowed.

Wow. Good for them.

Secondbest
03-16-2020, 04:30 PM
Everyone here seems to be referring to the Stateside racing operations. Perhaps its time for players to start thinking about expanding their horizons. As I’ve mentioned, the racing in Hong Kong is rolling along without a hitch so far in spite of both this virus and the political unrest.
They’ve got their act together that’s for sure! It’s a sad commentary when a recognizably superior racing product and the way the principals at the HKJC are handling these things can’t be emulated in at least some respects here in the States.
Yes, there's racing without attendance, but there's so much more that could and should be done to improve the local racing.

What time of day to they run on The east coast

Tom
03-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Not any more in the brave new world of simulcasting. Many tracks are open to some degree year around, regardless of their live racing schedules.

And a lot of tracks have next to no one in the stands during the summer months.

iamt
03-16-2020, 05:42 PM

Before you go deifying them any more the measures that Hong Kong introduced were racing with owners only. They are/were doing basically everything any track that is planning to continue to run is doing

They closed all OTBs and removed their telephone operators. Betting was only available through their online betting site and through an automated phone system.

Winning ticket holders from previous meetings were unable to collect their winnings and no-one was able to deposit cash into an account with all branches closed.

These measures stayed in place for about a month, now with minor relaxation in some areas.

the little guy
03-16-2020, 07:18 PM
Wait, Nitro found a way to turn this thread into a plug for Hong Kong?

Shocking!!!!

BIG49010
03-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Churchill could run it at Arlington Park in place of the Million :lol::lol::lol:

snappit
03-16-2020, 09:02 PM
Here in the UK racing will take place behind closed doors from today. It was also announced today that our biggest race - The Grand National- due to take place in a couple of weeks has been cancelled.

Nitro
03-16-2020, 11:40 PM
What time of day to they run on The east coast

You mentioned the ONLY drawback that I personally find somewhat annoying: The time difference.

On Saturdays and Sundays when racing is at Sha Tin they typically start each race card 12 or 1 PM. Here on the East coast its 12 or 1 AM. So we’re 12 hours behind this time of year. On Wednesday evenings at Happy Valley their race cards begin at around 6 PM which means they start at 6 AM on Wednesday morning on the East coast.

In spite of the time difference and after playing there for many years I still find it very rewarding on many levels. The negative issues related to horse racing here in the States that are continually being repeated on so many threads here on PA just don’t exist in HK. That alone makes it a more pleasurable experience. Imagine that: A racing product with veracity and transparency without all the distracting drama.

Nitro
03-16-2020, 11:52 PM
Wait, Nitro found a way to turn this thread into a plug for Hong Kong?

Shocking!!!!

It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to do so. That’s because it’s not very difficult to distinguish between the racing there in HK and what’s available here.

You only wish that you could work in that type of environment. But why not ask one of your former NYRA executives how he likes it there?

ReplayRandall
03-16-2020, 11:56 PM
But why not ask one of your former NYRA executives how he likes it there?You must be talking about Bill Nader..

dilanesp
04-15-2020, 11:44 AM
72 percent of Americans will not attend sports events until a vaccine has been found:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29018209/poll-fans-attend-games-vaccine

I imagine that statistic alone kills any possibility of a traditional Derby. Even if the country is officially "opened up" then.

Robert Fischer
04-15-2020, 12:08 PM
72 percent of Americans will not attend sports events until a vaccine has been found:

I imagine that statistic alone kills any possibility of a traditional Derby. Even if the country is officially "opened up" then.
that poll is worthless

did you miss mardi gras this year when we had an obvious pandemic?
https://i.imgur.com/sYYZ4hH.jpg

people will do whatever the media tells them is "ok".

if the media tells people this thing is over, then most will resume whatever they were going to do before.

nobody is going to hold-out for a vaccine

and although meaningless in terms of the Derby... - a vaccine 'cure' is unlikely to be found (just as we have flu vaccines, but rarely immunity to the current strain), but don't worry, a vaccine will hit the market

rastajenk
04-15-2020, 12:25 PM
"The Media" won't give the all clear if it will help Trump.

dilanesp
04-15-2020, 12:41 PM
that poll is worthless

did you miss mardi gras this year when we had an obvious pandemic?
https://i.imgur.com/sYYZ4hH.jpg

people will do whatever the media tells them is "ok".

if the media tells people this thing is over, then most will resume whatever they were going to do before.

nobody is going to hold-out for a vaccine

and although meaningless in terms of the Derby... - a vaccine 'cure' is unlikely to be found (just as we have flu vaccines, but rarely immunity to the current strain), but don't worry, a vaccine will hit the market

Public opinion has shifted a lot since Mardi Gras.

NTamm1215
04-15-2020, 01:03 PM

It’s really sick and perverse how much pleasure you get out of telling people on this message board how much the virus is going to f.uck up their lives. Bravo.

Fred Mertz
04-15-2020, 01:13 PM
It’s really sick and perverse how much pleasure you get out of telling people on this message board how much the virus is going to f.uck up their lives. Bravo.

I've learned this in my life, you can't tell a know-it-all one single thing.

I need a haircut and Gunsmoke is on. Doubtful on the haircut, but I know where my barber lives, so thanks for teasing my lockdown brain. ;)

dilanesp
04-15-2020, 01:32 PM

I don't take that pleasure at all. It's sad that people are dying. People are unemployed. People are depressed. They can't get needed medical care.

However, I reject the notion that anyone here is going to have their life screwed up because the Derby won't be staged with 160,000 spectators this year. If THAT is what keeps your life from being screwed up, I am not your problem.

the little guy
04-15-2020, 01:36 PM

Agreed. It's pretty telling.

dilanesp
04-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Agreed. It's pretty telling.

Every horse racing discussion forum in America- heck, every sports discussion forum in America- is discussing this topic.

My positions "tell" you nothing more than I think it's pretty obvious that we are going to be without big time sports as we knew them for awhile. A perfectly respectable position- and indeed, one held by a large number of people.

Inferring because I want to tell the truth and think that some of the more wishful thinking that is out there is exactly that, that I take pleasure in people's suffering is just wrong. Indeed, it's a gross thing to say.

We have people dying, right now. If we start having 160,000 person events too soon, more people will die. Far from taking pleasure in people's lives being screwed up, I'm calling for people to recognize the steps necessary to SAVE lives.

The wishful thinkers are the people who you should psychoanalyze, TLG. They are the people who may end up putting people at risk and ruining lives.

elhelmete
04-15-2020, 03:25 PM

100%

stuball
04-15-2020, 03:26 PM
I love the statistics 72% of people will not attend events --- how the heck would they know it's not 73% or 74% or 12%. Is this an official POLL ..? One thing I know is people that quote statistics don't know.... really

duncan04
04-15-2020, 04:04 PM
I love the statistics 72% of people will not attend events --- how the heck would they know it's not 73% or 74% or 12%. Is this an official POLL ..? One thing I know is people that quote statistics don't know.... really

They only "polled" 762 people. :rolleyes:

classhandicapper
04-15-2020, 05:29 PM
Personally, I doubt anyone is taking pleasure from this situation.

Some of us see the glass half full, some see it half empty, and some of us are in between. It's the way we are.

I've already lost one cousin. His younger brother is in ICU and we've been told to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I have a very good friend that lost his job. He's locked down sick with the virus at home with his wife, 3 kids and elderly in-laws in the same house. One of the in-laws is now sick waiting for test results.

My own mother is 85 and living with my special needs brother. He can't comprehend the risks due to his illness. He's going outside to stores etc.. unprotected and then coming home to my mother.

Fvck horse racing, sports, and personal grievances between people on message boards!!

Grow up for God's sake!

You want good news and upbeat reporting? The new cases seem to be flattening a bit (though NY had a bad day today). It looks to me like we are about 10 days or so behind Italy in terms of progress reducing new cases per day. So by the end of April God willing we may actually start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

In the mean time, I love racing and can't wait for it return 100% (assuming I remain healthy despite risks I'm being forced to take due to my own responsibilities).

Can we just keep our priorities in order please?

Long held forum personality conflicts is not one of them.

dilanesp
04-15-2020, 10:25 PM
They only "polled" 762 people. :rolleyes:

If they constructed their sample properly (and I am NOT claiming to know they did) that should be enough to get a reasonably accurate result.

clicknow
04-16-2020, 08:04 AM
neat:

classhandicapper
04-16-2020, 09:47 AM
neat:

Good one.

Tom
04-16-2020, 10:40 AM
The horses I bet on have been "social distancing" for years now! :rant:

I do think they should make the jockeys wear face masks,though.
I will feel better when I get robbed by some chuckle-head grabbing out of the gate.

Cholly
04-16-2020, 11:06 AM
Personally, I doubt anyone is taking pleasure from this situation.

Some of us see the glass half full, some see it half empty, and some of us are in between. It's the way we are.

I've already lost one cousin. His younger brother is in ICU and we've been told to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I have a very good friend that lost his job. He's locked down sick with the virus at home with his wife, 3 kids and elderly in-laws in the same house. One of the in-laws is now sick waiting for test results.

My own mother is 85 and living with my special needs brother. He can't comprehend the risks due to his illness. He's going outside to stores etc.. unprotected and then coming home to my mother.

Fvck horse racing, sports, and personal grievances between people on message boards!!

Grow up for God's sake!

Thank you for this, thank you for the reminder that there are real people out there dying from this, real people affected by this, and real people risking their lives to protect the rest of us.

classhandicapper
04-17-2020, 09:37 AM
It was kind of out of character for me to vent like that publicly, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the situation because I have other very stressful things going on in my life on top of the virus related related issues and loss of life in my family. I came here to talk about horses to escape it all and at that moment the silly personal just set me off. I didn't mean to attack anyone. But in a way, I'm right. The personal stuff is silly. We all have much bigger problems right now.

clicknow
04-20-2020, 03:15 AM
Good one.

Yeah, but this one is better: (and kinda fits the TC topic pretty well, too)

taxicab
05-14-2020, 05:49 PM
The NCAA tournament is going to go on without fans.

Bump....

dilanesp
05-14-2020, 06:10 PM
Bump....

Do you mind giving any context for that statement?

It was quoting a NEWS REPORT, after the NCAA HAD decided to go on without fans, and before they canceled entirely.

I mean, this is as low as it gets.

Tom
05-14-2020, 08:30 PM
I don't take that pleasure at all. It's sad that people are dying. People are unemployed. People are depressed. They can't get needed medical care.

However, I reject the notion that anyone here is going to have their life screwed up because the Derby won't be staged with 160,000 spectators this year. If THAT is what keeps your life from being screwed up, I am not your problem.

Then why do you keep doing it,over and over and over?

MY God, you must the person most affected mentally by the lock down. Do your self a favor, try drugs or alcohol. MASSIVE quantities or both.

taxicab
05-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Do you mind giving any context for that statement?

It was quoting a NEWS REPORT, after the NCAA HAD decided to go on without fans, and before they canceled entirely.

I mean, this is as low as it gets.

Glad to give you context sharp.
You wrote it.
Got called on it.
Lied.......and denied you wrote it.
Got caught lying about it.
And then blamed it on the NCAA.......:pound::pound::pound: