PDA

View Full Version : 2 who crushed racing w/o computer

Half Smoke
03-04-2020, 05:07 AM
old stories

one from Barry Meadow about Tim Haley who he writes had $24 million in his account at an overseas rebate shop. I wonder how tough it would be for him to get all of that money out of there?

the other story is about Ernie Dahlman from the NY Times who at the time of the writing was earning about $700k per year.

I wonder if they would be unable to beat the game now in this way because the game has become tougher - I don't know - I guess many would say yes

pretty amazing stories

http://www.horseracinggold.com/Horse-Racing-System-Article-2.htm

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/03/magazine/the-wizard-of-odds.html

MJC922
03-04-2020, 06:21 AM
Thanks for links. I hadn't read the one about Tim before. You can always tell the real winners from the fakes. A follow up interview would be nice if anyone is still in contact with these guys. Asking how they've dealt with the late odds volatility would be my first question.

pandy
03-04-2020, 06:49 AM
Ernie Dahlman posted on this board in the past. I believe he retired from betting several years ago. He was an exacta bettor and he hedged quite a bit. In other words, he didn't just bet cold numbers. Exactas are still very good wagers if you are getting rebates.

PaceAdvantage
03-04-2020, 08:33 AM
Ernie Dahlman posted on this board in the past.http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=3911

the little guy
03-04-2020, 08:59 AM
I've seen Ernie a few times recently. It's always a pleasure.

coacht
03-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Is there a website that will tell us that a horse is wearing mud caulks before the race?

Thanks

AltonKelsey
03-05-2020, 01:56 AM
Ernie Dahlman posted on this board in the past. I believe he retired from betting several years ago. He was an exacta bettor and he hedged quite a bit. In other words, he didn't just bet cold numbers. Exactas are still very good wagers if you are getting rebates.

Much easier to do right with direct access to the last flash , and computers doing the construction.

Thats assuming you're playing the right horses.

cj
03-05-2020, 08:57 AM
I remember Ernie saying he would put in big bets early on horses he liked at small tracks to discourage others from betting them. I thought that was pretty darn smart, especially as conditional wagering was gaining popularity.

thaskalos
03-05-2020, 11:40 AM
The future doesn't seem so rosy for those of us without the generous rebates. :(

Tom
03-05-2020, 12:48 PM
The future doesn't seem so rosy for those of us without the generous rebates. :(

Or without the modern computers!:rolleyes::bang:

pandy
03-06-2020, 07:28 AM
Much easier to do right with direct access to the last flash , and computers doing the construction.

Thats assuming you're playing the right horses.

Ernie Dahlman didn't have a computer advantage, he was old school. First he was a professional harness bettor. Then when harness got too chalky for him, he switched to the thoroughbreds and moved to Vegas, where he got rebates. But as I recall, he was a traditional handicapper who put his own bets in.

ultracapper
03-07-2020, 12:14 PM
Wasn't Dahlman the guy that moved from Maryland to Vegas, and when he took his business away from the off track facility he'd been using in Maryland, they practically had to close the place because it was the money made by the outlet off his bets that was practically running the place? When he left, they had to lay off about 80% of their employees. He was supporting the place all by himself.

Tom
03-11-2020, 10:29 PM
2 who crushed racing w/o computer

cj
03-12-2020, 11:27 AM
2 who crushed racing w/o computer

Didn't Jason Servis always look like that guy you wanted to punch in the mouth, especially when he was doing interviews on TVG and you knew he was a smarmy as they come?

Tom
03-12-2020, 06:30 PM
YES~!

Michael
03-12-2020, 06:41 PM
Always loved how analysts and commentators in reference to some trainers say "a true horsemen."

Like how much praise has Jason Blewitt gave Navarro for being an excellent horseman.

Easy to say... much harder to face the facts knowing you're throwing up a false facade to protect scumbags that abuse animals that put food in your family's mouth. I don't honestly condem Jason and am sorry to single him out.... but I do think moving forward they should show more respect to those animals that are providing them and their loved ones a job and food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLPIA-0XK0