PDA

View Full Version : King Abdul Aziz Racecourse (Saudi Arabia)

Scanman
02-28-2020, 11:55 PM
According to Mike Smith, this track has the best dirt surface he's ever ridden on: https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Mike_Smith_stoked_to_win_inaugural_International_J ockeys_Challenge_123# .

Perhaps we need to send all of our major dirt track superintentents over there to have a look and replicate it here in the US.

clicknow
02-29-2020, 12:52 AM
He says it is a very "kind" surface as well.

If somebody finds a technical article about the composition and %'s of what is in there, I would like to read it.

I think Mike has ridden on enough surfaces to know. One thing I trust jockeys about, they are ON a surface as part of their daily living.....something bettors and even track superintendants are not.

clicknow
02-29-2020, 02:20 AM
Of course, since they have such an arid climate, that track is not facing the same stressors as a track would here.

Just like I try to eat local and in season, I think tracks are best made from local materials that mother nature has tested in the environment itself. It rains a whole lot in AR, for instance. And they WAY it rains is also important, here we get some real downpours.

I remember once a few years ago track was closed for the day due to washout: take a look at this gully!

the little guy
02-29-2020, 09:14 AM
Jockeys love to say "best ever" about things. He's ridden a handful of races there....and I'm sure his hosts ( I wonder what riders got paid to participate in that Jockey Challenge ) were pleased to be complimented.

Not saying it's not a good surface but a fair dose of cynicism might not be a terrible idea.

classhandicapper
02-29-2020, 09:44 AM
Has anyone been watching the early races?

I just woke up. :sleeping:

How is the track playing?

edit: I see the first 3 were on turf, so I didn't miss much.

classhandicapper
02-29-2020, 10:43 AM
On the broadcast I believe they just said the track is primarily sand based with some synthetic and wood chip mixed in.

GMB@BP
02-29-2020, 10:43 AM
Of course, since they have such an arid climate, that track is not facing the same stressors as a track would here.

Just like I try to eat local and in season, I think tracks are best made from local materials that mother nature has tested in the environment itself. It rains a whole lot in AR, for instance. And they WAY it rains is also important, here we get some real downpours.

I remember once a few years ago track was closed for the day due to washout: take a look at this gully!

That type of concentrated erosion could be mitigated, my guess is that the grandstand apron, made out of concrete or asphalt was draining onto the track rather than into a drainage conveyance system. It likely busted through some built up dirt on the outer edge of the track and that is the result.

clicknow
02-29-2020, 03:23 PM
That type of concentrated erosion could be mitigated, my guess is that the grandstand apron, made out of concrete or asphalt was draining onto the track rather than into a drainage conveyance system. It likely busted through some built up dirt on the outer edge of the track and that is the result.

I think my photo was from 2013.

Since Oaklawn re-surfaces their track every single year

and so much has been re-configured with the owner/winner circle, etc. I'm sure whatever flaw that was is long gone.

It is fun to go there off season and see the huge mounds of dirt piled up, all over the place, while they remix, let everything sit, and re-mix and re-deposit everything.

I don't know what other racetrack re-surfaces every year. Anybody know? It's a big job, that's for sure.

horsefan2019
02-29-2020, 10:20 PM
On the broadcast I believe they just said the track is primarily sand based with some synthetic and wood chip mixed in.

The dirt surface resembles the synthetic surfaces over in Europe.

classhandicapper
03-01-2020, 10:04 AM
The dirt surface resembles the synthetic surfaces over in Europe.

Interesting.

Most of the major horses handled it well, but at times during the card the stretch drives had that "stagger" look to them like it was a battle of who was tiring least instead of who was finishing best. I wasn't familiar with any of the other horses though.

Scanman
03-01-2020, 08:25 PM
Here's a very informative video concerning the dirt surface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tghyM9VIyvk .

The track super is Bob Turman, previously with Bay Meadows. The most interesting part of this video, for me, is that I've never known a trackman to put a penetrometer into a dirt track to test for the correct compaction. His attention to detail is phenomenal.

Scanman
03-01-2020, 08:29 PM
On the broadcast I believe they just said the track is primarily sand based with some synthetic and wood chip mixed in.Appears as if the broadcast got it wrong. The trackman in the video does not mention any synthetic or wood chip in the surface. He does mention an organic mixture and very fine sand. Light on the silt and clay.

the little guy
03-01-2020, 08:51 PM
I wonder if Mike still loves the surface:-)

Tom
03-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Baffert: Mike, how's the track playing?
Mike: Expensive!

stlseeeek
03-03-2020, 12:48 PM
There are a lot of horse friendly surfaces.

But no body wants 1:44 mile races, they want to see 1:35 miles and 1:09 for 6 furlongs.