PDA

View Full Version : SOX|YANKS

John
10-20-2004, 08:30 PM
PA

I ran in to Suff at Suffolk Downs today.he asked me to post a message to you and all your yankee buddies.

Who's your momma ?

You say the yanks are Dream Crushers.

Tonight the Sox will Be" History Crushers"!!

The yanks are going down.

LOL Suff

WINMANWIN
10-21-2004, 01:12 AM
CONGRATS SUFF AND JOHN, TWO GREAT BOSTON GUYS ;)
Suff, you Knew it in the SUMMER, never lost HOPE, till the 3-0
DEFICIT :eek: and most be ENJOYING this ULTIMITE LONGSHOT
DREAM...........:)

sq764
10-21-2004, 01:39 AM
We haven't won anything..

The big prize is next

John
10-21-2004, 08:32 AM
The Sox nation and Suff thank you, for the congratulations.

now on to the BIG ENCHILADA.

All who are cheering with me .....Sign in.

LOl Suff.

Maxspa
10-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Suff and John.

Red Sox WIN! Red Sox WIN! Red Sox Win!

Congratulations!! They deserved to win as the Red Sox bats were AWESOME!But where in the HELL did they get the clutch pitching! Derrick Lowe was superb!

Remember you've got one more hurdle to break the BABE'S
CURSE!
Maxspa

BIG RED
10-21-2004, 11:02 AM
When we got down 3-0, I didn't give up. I did think we would need a miracle, but you take one game at a time. I know I can't say it was a true miracle, but it sure feels like it!

IT FEELS GOOD ;)

so.cal.fan
10-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Don't think Suff will post until after the series.
He doesn't want to jinx THE TEAM! LOL

We are praying for you Suff........try to stay calm!
We want you back on the forum in one piece!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

John
10-21-2004, 01:14 PM
"Remember you've got one more hurdle to break the BABE'S CURSE!"
Maxspa

Yeah Max, did you see all those people waving the Babe's picture. After the game the pictures were torn up and stomped on. One guy on the sports radio that was at the Game said, that the NY fans were burning the Babe's picture.

All I can say to the NY fans is bet the Red Sox in the world series and get even.

BIG RED
10-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Just thought of something. The Red Sox and the Patriots made history, in the same week ! :eek: :eek:

Boston is on cloud nine

John
10-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Hey Guys, Did you hear this.......

" HELL FREEZES OVER "

PaceAdvantage
10-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Actually, if you look back on a few posts after the Yankees won the third game, Suff did post that the Sox were done, and that their season was over.

Tom
10-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by John
Hey Guys, Did you hear this.......

" HELL FREEZES OVER "

It must have...Buffalo won, too!

Tom
10-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Tip for the Red Sox.....don't open the champagne until the last out. You can always return it if it isn't open.
I am all excited waiting to see how the CURSE manifests itself this time! :D :rolleyes: :D

John
10-21-2004, 10:01 PM
PA, in defense of SUFF, who is unable to post.

SUFF, said,before Game 7 .

"Tonight the Sox will Be" History Crushers"!!

The yanks are going down.

LOL Suff

John
10-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Come on Tom, You should know by now that when your HOT
........your HOT.

Tom, just think, you and I are going to see the RED SOX win the World SERIES in our life time.

Dave Schwartz
10-21-2004, 10:17 PM
John,

Have you ever actually met Tom? I am not sure that he has that long. <G>

I mean, to me he doesn't look a day over 80 but to expect him to live to 125 or so could be a little much. <G>

Dave

Zaf
10-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Of course I'm with you guys. I'm a Met fan so I haven't had much to cheer about for a few years. Gotta pull for 2 great guys from Boston - Suff & John.

ZAFONIC

Tom
10-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
John,

Have you ever actually met Tom? I am not sure that he has that long. <G>

I mean, to me he doesn't look a day over 80 but to expect him to live to 125 or so could be a little much. <G>

Dave

NO chowder for YOU!:D

Tom
10-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Come on Tom, You should know by now that when your HOT
........your HOT.

Tom, just think, you and I are going to see the RED SOX win the World SERIES in our life time.

John, you are talking to a guy who bet major bucks on the Vikings the first time they met the Steelers in the SUper Bowl! :p
Everyone in the world knew the Steelers would win....except me.

John
10-22-2004, 02:27 PM
TOM,

here is your chance to get even....Anyone know the line on this series

John
10-22-2004, 02:30 PM
zafonic,

Suff, said thanks for the go0d wishes.

John
10-22-2004, 02:33 PM
TOM...to Dave Schwartz

"make that, no New England chower"

John

sq764
10-22-2004, 03:07 PM
TOM,

here is your chance to get even....Anyone know the line on this series

Money line on the series:

Sox - 141

Cards +143

Game 1:

Sox -1.5

Cards +1.5

Over/Under is 11

BIG RED
10-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Today it is cold and raw.

Sat and Sun is predicted to be best days within the next 6. Partly sunny, hovering around 50dgrs, both days. Will be raw at night though, wager accordingly!

John
10-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Sq 764,
Thanks for the line. What does that mean Sox -140 are sox the favorite to win the series.

sq764
10-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Sq 764,
Thanks for the line. What does that mean Sox -140 are sox the favorite to win the series.

Yes, that means you have to bet $141 to win $100 on the Sox.

If you bet $100 on the Cards, you would win $143

(Think of it as betting the Cards at 7/5 or the Sox at around 3/5-4/5)

PaceAdvantage
10-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Here's a serious question.....

When was the last time there was a riot in NYC after a NY team won a major championship? I can't remember anyone being killed or any cars being set on fire after the Yankees won any of their recent championships....

After reading what happened in the aftermath of Wednesday night's game, it doesn't shine too pretty a light on Boston fans.

BIG RED
10-22-2004, 05:15 PM
PA, I've lived here all my life, and I would put this on the school kids. Boston is a college town. Add alcohol to a bunch of hyped up kids and that's what happens.

If this goes seven games, it lands on holloween night, and I dread that. How come college kids are so stupid, I thought they were 'educated'.

John
10-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Big red

The bars around the ball park have said the same as you. It is collage kids[ a lot of out of towner who are going to school here]. If PA came to Boston he would realize that there is a school\collage on every conner. That is why Boston is known as the city of education.

WHDH TV REPORT:

BOSTON -- Mayor Thomas Menino said he was considering banning alcohol sales near Fenway Park during the World Series, following rowdy celebrations of the Red Sox's league championship that turned deadly when a police officer shot a projectile into a crowd.

Menino planned to meet with bar and nightclub owners Friday and also said he would press colleges to expel students found guilty of criminal conduct in the melee.

"Since people won't accept responsibility, I, as mayor, will take it into my own hands," Menino said.

Menino said that to avoid a repeat of the rowdiness in his city, he was considering imposing the alcohol-sales ban through a state law never before used in Boston. The law lets him ban sale or distribution of alcohol "in cases of riot or great public excitement."

He said he may also ask bar and restaurant operators not to let television stations broadcast live scenes from inside their establishments during games, as at least one station did Wednesday.

Peter Martineau, manager of Boston Beer Works, across from Fenway Park, expressed sympathy for Snelgrove's family but blamed area college students for causing the problems.

"They all want to come out to the Fenway for the excitement," he said. "I don't think the remedy is banning bars and restaurants from serving liquor. If you can't serve beer or anything, why would people come out? It's a beer works."

"I also condemn in the harshest words possible the actions of the punks (Wednesday) night who turned our city's victory into an opportunity for violence and mindless destruction."

City officials had announced there would be a heavy police presence in Kenmore Square for the history-making victory by the Red Sox, who came back from 3 games to zero deficit to advance to the World Series.

sq764
10-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Here's a serious question.....

When was the last time there was a riot in NYC after a NY team won a major championship? I can't remember anyone being killed or any cars being set on fire after the Yankees won any of their recent championships....

After reading what happened in the aftermath of Wednesday night's game, it doesn't shine too pretty a light on Boston fans.

Why would New Yorkers need to wait for a championship, they just riot during the games.. Throwing baseballs on the field was a shining beacon on the city.

And you know the girl getting killed was an accident that was the total responsiblity of the police and not the fans.

sq764
10-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Big red

The bars around the ball park have said the same as you. It is collage kids[ a lot of out of towner who are going to school here]. If PA came to Boston he would realize that there is a school\collage on every conner. That is why Boston is known as the city of education.

WHDH TV REPORT:

BOSTON -- Mayor Thomas Menino said he was considering banning alcohol sales near Fenway Park during the World Series, following rowdy celebrations of the Red Sox's league championship that turned deadly when a police officer shot a projectile into a crowd.

Menino planned to meet with bar and nightclub owners Friday and also said he would press colleges to expel students found guilty of criminal conduct in the melee.

"Since people won't accept responsibility, I, as mayor, will take it into my own hands," Menino said.

Menino said that to avoid a repeat of the rowdiness in his city, he was considering imposing the alcohol-sales ban through a state law never before used in Boston. The law lets him ban sale or distribution of alcohol "in cases of riot or great public excitement."

He said he may also ask bar and restaurant operators not to let television stations broadcast live scenes from inside their establishments during games, as at least one station did Wednesday.

Peter Martineau, manager of Boston Beer Works, across from Fenway Park, expressed sympathy for Snelgrove's family but blamed area college students for causing the problems.

"They all want to come out to the Fenway for the excitement," he said. "I don't think the remedy is banning bars and restaurants from serving liquor. If you can't serve beer or anything, why would people come out? It's a beer works."

"I also condemn in the harshest words possible the actions of the punks (Wednesday) night who turned our city's victory into an opportunity for violence and mindless destruction."

City officials had announced there would be a heavy police presence in Kenmore Square for the history-making victory by the Red Sox, who came back from 3 games to zero deficit to advance to the World Series.

Most people know what happened, it's just PA wanting to justify the idiocy of the Yanks fans.. Terrible comparison..

JustRalph
10-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Somebody answer this question for me?

Why no riots in St.Louis?

John
10-23-2004, 09:42 AM
I don't know JustRalph....Let's forget about it and enjoy a good series.

May the better team win.

sq764
10-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Here's a hunch play for any of you harness players:

Balmoral Park tonight, race 1:

#5 Who'S Your Daddy

Big Bill
10-23-2004, 10:21 AM
And on the lighter side, here is what Jay Leno had to say:

"Steinbrenner is not taking this lying down. Today he signed the entire Red Sox team. They’re Yankees now."

Big Bill

Tom
10-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Somebody answer this question for me?

Why no riots in St.Louis?

They did riot! Burned buildings, cars, tore up downtown.
I hear there was almost $35 damage!:rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
10-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Big red

Actually, I lived in Boston for 4 years while attending college. (I basically lived right UNDER the Citgo sign, on Bay State Road)

I actually love the city, and went to many a Red Sox game, and rank Fenway Park as probably the best place to WATCH a game from the cheap seats....I love Fenway, just don't like who plays there.

PaceAdvantage
10-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Most people know what happened, it's just PA wanting to justify the idiocy of the Yanks fans.. Terrible comparison..

If the fans in Boston weren't bent on mayhem and destruction, the girl would never have been killed.

And you KNOW damn well, that if the Yankees had won Wednesday night, and the fans in NY had reacted exactly the same as the Boston fans reacted, YOU Mr. SQ764 would be posting notes by the SECOND about how disgusting and depraved Yankee fans are to destroy random cars just because they had the wrong license plate, and cause a young woman to lose her life in such a tragic manner.

You're a hypocrite to let these animal Red Sox fans off with a pass like this. Where's your posts of outrage?

sq764
10-23-2004, 05:39 PM
If the fans in Boston weren't bent on mayhem and destruction, the girl would never have been killed.

And you KNOW damn well, that if the Yankees had won Wednesday night, and the fans in NY had reacted exactly the same as the Boston fans reacted, YOU Mr. SQ764 would be posting notes by the SECOND about how disgusting and depraved Yankee fans are to destroy random cars just because they had the wrong license plate, and cause a young woman to lose her life in such a tragic manner.

You're a hypocrite to let these animal Red Sox fans off with a pass like this. Where's your posts of outrage?

PA, The Tankme's lost AND the fans still acted like that.. What is your point?

PaceAdvantage
10-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Yup, 80,000 Yankee fans ran outside into the streets, beat people up and ended up getting someone killed, not to mention the property damage because they smashed and burned a car with a Massachusetts license plate on it....

Yup, that's pretty much the equivalent of lobbing a baseball onto a wide open field with about 15 baseball players and umps roaming around, some of them with helmets on.....

Thanks for the objectivity....

sq764
10-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Yup, 80,000 Yankee fans ran outside into the streets, beat people up and ended up getting someone killed, not to mention the property damage because they smashed and burned a car with a Massachusetts license plate on it....

Yup, that's pretty much the equivalent of lobbing a baseball onto a wide open field with about 15 baseball players and umps roaming around, some of them with helmets on.....

Thanks for the objectivity....
Nope, you're right as always.. 50,000 fans hurling bottles and baseballs (some from the upper deck) onto the field is nothing..

Objectivity?? Weren;t you the one that defended the moronic Yanks execs for wanting a forfeit for Tampa staying back home to make sure their families were ok after a natural disaster? Talk about hypocritical..

PaceAdvantage
10-23-2004, 07:49 PM
So all 50,000 fans threw something onto the field? It's amazing the game was back on within minutes. Picking up 50,000 projectiles should have taken half the night.

Whatever. Having an objective discussion with you on this topic is obviously futile.

You take the LJB, Sec and HCAP approach to responding, "bob and weave, spin and deflect"

sq764
10-23-2004, 09:13 PM
So all 50,000 fans threw something onto the field? It's amazing the game was back on within minutes. Picking up 50,000 projectiles should have taken half the night.

Whatever. Having an objective discussion with you on this topic is obviously futile.

You take the LJB, Sec and HCAP approach to responding, "bob and weave, spin and deflect"

Well, I am not going to discuss this anymore with you. you obviously will defend any idiotic stunt any New Yorker pulls.. Thats fine..

Now if I may, I have a world series to watch :-)

Suff
10-26-2004, 11:54 AM

"

I did'nt forsee the Greatest Comeback in the History of Baseball..(or all of sports for that matter). Of course I hoped for the best and it came true. The yankees choked like none other, ever.

But I did manage to find a Little class and congratulate the Yankees and acknowledge they outplayed us. (for the 1st three games) ...

I see you have chosen to ignore our Monstorous Feat and your Towering collapse and focus on a very tragic and unfornate incident. Thats disapointing. I thought more of you.

We threw the the most amazing comeback in the games History on you. Your Team now owns the Greatest CHOKE in all of Teams sports. And we did it on your house. IN the House that Ruth Built. We basically stripped you of all your Lore. Its over. We own you. Its No longer 1918. Its 2004. 2004, The greatest comback in the games illustrious History. And THE CHOKE will be replayed and talked about for a 100 years. Long after you and i are gone.... They will be telling any team that goes down 3 games to none..."Don't forget the 2004 Yankees" They'll replay the whole series in locker rooms around the world.

You choked. Large.

We Conquered. Large.

For almost 3 years you stuffed 1918 down my throat. The last two years at Saratoga you gave me the 1918 business with that Cocky Yankee Smirk. Now the tables are turned. Its 2004.
Two thousand and four straight. 2004. The Day we put the whammy on you... and You'll never be free of the haunting memory of the worst collapse in recorded History. 2004. You won it. And I'm going to give it to every and any Yankee Fan I get within 50 feet of. Here's how it's Gonna go next year when I see you at Saratoga...

PA... "Hi Suff"

Suff: Hi PA... (pause) "2004"

PA: "Suff who do you like in the 2nd race"?

SUFF... "I like the 4... as in 2004"

PA: "Where are you guys going for Dinner Tonight"?

SUFF.. "We have'nt decided,, Theres Like 2004 resturaunts to choose from"...

PA: Suff do you like the 5 in this Race?"

SUFF: No he collapses like the 2004 yankees"

PA: SUFF are you ever going to stop busting my Chops about our Massive cCHOKE Job"?

SUFF: "Yes.. In two thousand and four Years. Psych!~!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike, Mike Mike.. PA, PA PA... You could'nt muster a single congratulations? Huh? You saw my post... I wished you well...I congratulated you and your team. (albiet prematurely)... and all you could do was harp on that tragic situation..

And you of all People.. know that these Kids are not Bostonians.. IN fact many of them are just like you. Long Island Kids that come to Boston for the Colleges and use any excuse to get drunk and act up. The Bean Pot, St Patricks Day, Bunker Hill Day et al... But I don't need to defend my Town against Your town. Boston Has more Class Stuffed into the North End than The Five Boroughs combined.

The Road to The East Division... The road to the AL Pennant..and very soon, The road to the World Championship runs through Boston. Just like the Revolutionary warriors that Fought for and Founded This Country... and Just like the Great Boston Baseball Warriors that won 5 of the first 15 World Series ever played. We invented and Made America what it is...and we Invented and Made Baseball what it is. And in a few days we will rightfully claim what is ours. World Champions.

2004. Our Destiny. Your Nightmare.

OTM Al
10-26-2004, 12:44 PM
I do have to thank the Red Sox for one big thing. Now I don't have to listen to Tim McCarver anymore. Almost makes it worth it.

It was an interesting series to be sure and I even told several people before game 4 not to count the Sox out yet. Too much of an explosive offense. I'd have to say the key break in the series was Tony Clark's double jumping up into the stands and not allowing Sierra to score in game 5. Any other stadium that stays in the park and the Red Sox go home again. Great series all said though with two blowouts going for the Yanks (though the Sox had some too little too late in the first game) and one for the Sox and 4 top notch nail biters. Forget the rest, baseball is and always will be the greatest team sport just because of things like this series.

Pace Cap'n
10-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by OTM Al
Forget the rest, baseball is and always will be the greatest team sport just because of things like this series.

You got that right!

sq764
10-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n
You got that right!

I certainly agree with this.. I have been watching baseball since I was about 7 and I never remember a more exciting post season than this one.. They had an article in the local paper the other day talking about how baseball has brought back all the fans and more from the strike year..

John
10-26-2004, 03:12 PM
You and Suff are right.

I just found out that more people watched the 7th game than the Super Bowl.

BIG RED
10-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, really, I didn't check if this is true.

Like Suff said, Red Sox won 5 world series out of the first 15. Then we traded the Babe. I beleive they had him the next 12 years?, and only won 2 series titles?

Where's the curse?

Like I said, I'm doing this from memory, easily can be wrong

sq764
10-26-2004, 05:46 PM
The curse was simply a tool the Yankee fans used to reassure themselves that the Yankees would beat the Sox in the ALCS every year.

Next year, they have to develop another rallying cry.

BIG RED
10-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Sq

Do you know where 'the curse' started?

I always thought it came from a sports columnist from Boston. Shaughnessy, I think his name was. Do you have a different person? I would actually think it would have came from NY.

PaceAdvantage
10-27-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Suff
I did'nt forsee the Greatest Comeback in the History of Baseball..(or all of sports for that matter). Of course I hoped for the best and it came true. The yankees choked like none other, ever.

But I did manage to find a Little class and congratulate the Yankees and acknowledge they outplayed us. (for the 1st three games) ...

I see you have chosen to ignore our Monstorous Feat and your Towering collapse and focus on a very tragic and unfornate incident. Thats disapointing. I thought more of you.

You sir, are OUT of your mind. I don't think I ONCE ever said the words 1918 to you at Saratoga. You are either dilusional, or are confusing me with someone else.

THE LAST THING I WANTED TO DO AT SARATOGA was talk about the Yankees or the Red Sox, but what was the FIRST THING I SAW when I arrived at the tent?

THE YANKEE HATER logos, and the guys who INVENTED the YANKEE HATER stuff.

Who exactly was baiting who at Saratoga?

And my statements regarding the anarchy after the Sox beat the Yankees (and the SECOND death in as many years after a New England team wins something), were DIRECTED AT SQ764. Not you.

I know you've been gracious in defeat.

PaceAdvantage
10-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Suff
And you of all People.. know that these Kids are not Bostonians.. IN fact many of them are just like you. Long Island Kids that come to Boston for the Colleges and use any excuse to get drunk and act up. The Bean Pot, St Patricks Day, Bunker Hill Day et al... But I don't need to defend my Town against Your town. Boston Has more Class Stuffed into the North End than The Five Boroughs combined.

Well, this Yankee fan and Long Island native never was caught in any "act up" situation. I betcha you've been in a lot more "act up" situations than I've ever been, and you're neither a Yankee fan or a Long Islander.

What's your point? ALL college kids look for excuses to get drunk, not just Yankee fans from Long Island.

Are you trying to tell me that none of those rioting the other night were bonifide Red Sox fans. Spare me. That's BS.

And by the way, Congrats on beating the Yankees in a post season series for the first time ever. It's obviously quite a feat, as you've never done it before.

And congrats on what appears to be your first World Series since 1918. Hopefully, you won't pull a "Yankee" and lose the next four games....but you never know now, do you?

PaceAdvantage
10-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by OTM Al
I do have to thank the Red Sox for one big thing. Now I don't have to listen to Tim McCarver anymore. Almost makes it worth it.

It was an interesting series to be sure and I even told several people before game 4 not to count the Sox out yet. Too much of an explosive offense. I'd have to say the key break in the series was Tony Clark's double jumping up into the stands and not allowing Sierra to score in game 5. Any other stadium that stays in the park and the Red Sox go home again. Great series all said though with two blowouts going for the Yanks (though the Sox had some too little too late in the first game) and one for the Sox and 4 top notch nail biters. Forget the rest, baseball is and always will be the greatest team sport just because of things like this series.

Are you trying to say that Tim McCarver is a Yankee "homer?"

Funny, myself as a Yankee fan, and most of the Yankee fans I know consider him just the opposite.

Weird.

BIG RED
10-27-2004, 03:49 PM
PA, sounds like OTM Al just doesn't like McCarver. Ditto here. Iv'e been watching a lot of post season games at house parties. A couple of women who have been glued to all the series agre on one thing......"Does this guy McCarver every shut up?"

OTM Al
10-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Tim McCarver in no way falls in the catagory of a homer. A homer I can live with. Nothing wrong with bias toward your team. McCarver is just a blowhard who's only claim to fame is Steve Carlton dragged him around for his career so he would talk to the media and Carlton could sneak off. He never would have had the career longevity he had without that. He talks like he is the supreme authority on baseball while getting several of his base facts wrong each and every game. I couldn't believe when Mets fans got mad when he left their broadcast booth to come to the Yankees a couple years back. Thankfully that lasted only 1 year.

JustRalph
10-27-2004, 04:53 PM
I am not a big McCarver fan, but he does have a decent World Series resume. He does talk too much.......... see below:

McCarver appeared in eight games with the Cardinals in 1959 at the age of 17 and in six games with the Phillies in 1980 to become a four-decade player. In the intervening years, McCarver established himself as one of the top defensive catchers of the 1960s and 1970s. He became the Cardinals' regular catcher in 1963 and was a key component in the emergence of pitching star Bob Gibson with whom he helped the 1964 Cardinals to the team's first World Series since 1946. McCarver won Game Five with a three-run homer in the top of the tenth inning to give the Cardinals a 3-2 lead in the Series. He was the Series' leading hitter with a .478 average on 11 hits. McCarver's 13 triples in 1966 made him the only catcher to lead a league in that category, and he went on to have his best season in 1967. Although he faded after leading the NL with a .355 average at mid-season, he finished with career highs in average (.295), homers (14), and RBI (69). The Cardinals won the World Series, and McCarver placed second in the MVP balloting to teammate Orlando Cepeda.

McCarver hit only 12 homers in the next two seasons and was traded, at the end of 1969, with would-be free agent Curt Flood to the Phillies for Dick Allen in a seven-player swap. He spent over two years with the Phillies before a series of trades sent him to the Expos, back to the Cardinals, and on to the Red Sox. During his travels, Anybody remember this :McCarver caught two no-hitters: the gem thrown by the Phillies' Rick Wise against the Reds on June 23, 1971 in which Wise hit two homers, and the no-hitter that Bill Stoneman of the Expos pitched against the Mets on October 2, 1972, the last day of the season.

In spring training of 1965, the stubborn McCarver got into an argument with the equally stubborn rookie Steve Carlton over pitch selection. The two went on to make Cardinals history as batterymates. In mid-1975, at the behest of Carlton, McCarver was reacquired by the Phillies. He spent the rest of his career with them as Carlton's personal catcher. McCarver's quip that when he and Carlton die, they'll be buried 60 feet six inches apart is indicative of the folksy, talkative style that characterized him as a Mets broadcaster.

BIG RED
10-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Had a nice sox url sent to me, can't get it to work

JustRalph
10-27-2004, 07:23 PM
forward the email to me.........

ralph@justralph.com

BIG RED
10-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Just noticed it was spelled wrong from my "partner'

BIG RED
10-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Here it is

$50 million front 4 (hexachord.net/acls/)

sq764
10-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Are you trying to say that Tim McCarver is a Yankee "homer?"

Funny, myself as a Yankee fan, and most of the Yankee fans I know consider him just the opposite.

Weird.

I took his post as he doesn't have any reason to watch the World Series now that the Yankees are out, so therefore, he doesn't have to listen to McCarver anymore.. Maybe I was wrong

JustRalph
10-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by BIG RED
Here it is

$50 million front 4 (hexachord.net/acls/)

try this link

http://www.homehorseplayer.com/alcs.swf

it is pretty good......

Zaf
10-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Thats good Ralph !!!

ZAFONIC

JustRalph
10-27-2004, 11:02 PM
The cards have basically laid down in this series.........

this team was awesome in the reg. season and show up with absolutely nothing in the World Series...........who would have thunk it?

sq764
10-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
The cards have basically laid down in this series.........

this team was awesome in the reg. season and show up with absolutely nothing in the World Series...........who would have thunk it?

I think their offense bailed their awful pitching out a lot during the regular season.. When they can't score, it exposes the pitching..

PaceAdvantage
10-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Sounds like a team I am vaguely familiar with....

Hey, at least the Yankees can claim they were the only team to beat the Red Sox during this post season.....

And at least we got beat by the best.....

Congrats to the Red Sox....how are you gonna top this year?

JustRalph
10-28-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by sq764
I think their offense bailed their awful pitching out a lot during the regular season.. When they can't score, it exposes the pitching..

This is a trait of their division. The division is weak in pitching so you see a bunch of high scoring games.....and the more potent your offense looks.......the more you have to worry.......about the post season...... as soon as you leave the division and run into some real pitching you are exposed.

BIG RED
10-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Thanks Ralph, you got it to work!

BIG RED
10-28-2004, 02:24 AM
....how are you gonna top this year? [/B]

Thanks for the cograts, for the team, as a fan and a baseball fan, I don't know how to top this. You want better, won't be the Yanks :p