PDA

View Full Version : First the NAACP, now BET

Secretariat
10-19-2004, 09:49 PM
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=LRTVN.story&STORY=/www/story/10-19-2004/0002288226&EDATE=TUE+Oct+19+2004,+07:08+PM

JustRalph
10-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Have you ever watched BET? I have. The President would be a fool to appear on BET. It is a partisan piece of crap network that props up the lowest levels of black culture. I have seen some decent shows on this network. But the majority of it is forgotten in ten minutes of watching the music videos and the interviews with supposed black leaders. Why would Bush need to do anything different when he is receiving 50% more black votes this election, than last? See the article below. The NAACP and these supposed black leaders are losing their grip on the flock.

Poll: Bush doubles support among blacks

BY DEBORAH BARFIELD BERRY
WASHINGTON BUREAU

October 19, 2004, 6:26 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Two weeks before the hotly contested presidential election, a new study has found that President George W. Bush could get almost double the support from blacks that he did in 2000.

The jump from 9 percent four years ago to 18 percent, however, is far behind the 69 percent of blacks who support Democratic rival Sen. John Kerry, according to a poll released Tuesday by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, a think tank that focuses issues regarding blacks and other minorities.

And even support for Bush could be diluted by the significant shift in young blacks switching from independent to Democrat, political experts say.

"If they turn out, I don't think Bush is going to get 18 percent," said David Bositis, a senior analyst at the center. He said Bush would then get 12 to 13 percent of the black vote, putting him in line with what other Republican presidents have garnered.

"He has to get higher than last time. He was in the dumpster last time," Bositis said.

The center polled 850 blacks and 850 members of the general public from Sept. 15 to Oct. 10. The poll's margin of error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Bositis said much of the increased support for Bush probably comes from black Christian conservatives and black Republicans who support the president's faith-based initiatives and his opposition to same-sex marriage. Bush may also have gained support among high-income blacks who benefited from his tax cuts, Bositis said.

Ron Walters, a political scientist at the University of Maryland, challenges the level of support for Bush, noting that the poll was conducted before the final presidential debate and didn't specifically target registered voters.

"He'll be lucky" to get 6 percent or 7 percent, Walters said. "This war is a 100-pound elephant on everybody's back."

Blacks ranked the economy and the war among their top campaign issues.

Despite the potential boost in support, the study found that most blacks feel Bush is taking the country in the wrong direction and is only doing a fair to poor job running the country.

Blacks, who could be crucial in battleground states, tend to suppport Democrats. And while the study found that 63 percent identify themselves as Democrats, 23 percent say they are independent and 10 percent Republican. That compares to 74 percent as Democrats in 2000, 20 percent as independents and 4 percent Republican.

Most of the shift was among 18-to-25 year-olds, who went from 51 percent as independents in 2000 to 71 percent as Democrats now. Bositis and Walters attribute the shift to young blacks' opposition to the Iraq war. They also said young people feel they are worse off economically than in 2000.

The trend to identify themselves as Democrats may lead to a "spike in the youth voter turnout," said Melanie Campbell, head of the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation, which targets young blacks for voter registration.

schweitz
10-19-2004, 10:35 PM
If only the Democrats had the integrity to ignore so called self-appointed Black Leaders like Jessie Jackson.

Tom
10-19-2004, 10:51 PM
He didn't address the KKK either, sec.

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Sec, let's crunch numbers for a second and be realistic.. If you were a candidate and you knew that the gap in a particular group was WAY out of your favor, AND this same group represented a little less than 10% of the entire vote, would you seriously focus your energy on this group?

Is it right for him to not participate in these types of events? Who knows.. Does it behoove him to spend time in other venues that have a greater impact on him being re-elected? I would imagine so..

Right or wrong, you are trying to win an election and get the votes you need to get there.. I think sometimes it comes down to numbers..

Secretariat
10-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Tom
He didn't address the KKK either, sec.

Are you sure?

Secretariat
10-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by sq764
Sec, let's crunch numbers for a second and be realistic.. If you were a candidate and you knew that the gap in a particular group was WAY out of your favor, AND this same group represented a little less than 10% of the entire vote, would you seriously focus your energy on this group?

Is it right for him to not participate in these types of events? Who knows.. Does it behoove him to spend time in other venues that have a greater impact on him being re-elected? I would imagine so..

Right or wrong, you are trying to win an election and get the votes you need to get there.. I think sometimes it comes down to numbers..

But the Pres. says he reaches out to all people. Why does he keep avoiding the African Americans? One meeting with the Black Caucus, avoidance of the NAACP, and now avoidance of an interview with BET. He certainly had time for Dr. Phil. The truth is his rhetoric doesn't match the reality of his actions. Particulary when it comes to inclusion. He's run a very divisive presidency.
I'm Ok with it though as I think it gives Kerry more ammunition to show his lack of concern for the African American community.

schweitz
10-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Secretariat
But the Pres. says he reaches out to all people. Why does he keep avoiding the African Americans?

He must be reaching some---polls show him receiving twice the support from African Americans as in 2000.

Lefty
10-20-2004, 01:35 AM
Remember that lousy ad the NAACP ran in the case of the black man being dragged to death? The Pres supported the death penalty for both perps but the NAACP accused him of not giving a damn because he wouldn't support a hate crime law. The NAACP is an arm of the DNC and should have their tax free status revoked! And that's why the Pres doesn't appear before hostile groups.
Now why won't Kerry appear on O'Reilly?

sq764
10-20-2004, 11:14 AM
But the Pres. says he reaches out to all people. Why does he keep avoiding the African Americans? One meeting with the Black Caucus, avoidance of the NAACP, and now avoidance of an interview with BET. He certainly had time for Dr. Phil. The truth is his rhetoric doesn't match the reality of his actions. Particulary when it comes to inclusion. He's run a very divisive presidency.
I'm Ok with it though as I think it gives Kerry more ammunition to show his lack of concern for the African American community.

Sec, the way Jesse Jackson has handled himself in regards to the presidential race, I would not only tell him no, I would tell him to go make passionate love to himself..

Secretariat
10-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Sec, the way Jesse Jackson has handled himself in regards to the presidential race, I would not only tell him no, I would tell him to go make passionate love to himself..

Could you please tell me how Jesse Jackson relates to Bush's refusal to give a half hour interview on BET?

Lefty
10-20-2004, 11:55 AM
A better question is why Kerry won't give a half hour interview on Bill O'Reilly, hmmmmm?

Secretariat
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
A better question is why Kerry won't give a half hour interview on Bill O'Reilly, hmmmmm?

Perhaps because O'Reilly's been too busy with his sexual harassing of young girls. I guess he liked Clinton more than he pretended. Must be something about that name -- Bill

And answering a question with another question is a typical GOP diversion.

JustRalph
10-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Could you please tell me how Jesse Jackson relates to Bush's refusal to give a half hour interview on BET?

He is part of the problem with "BLack Leaders" this includes the BET network. They hold themselves out as champions of their so called constituency. Yet they have no standing or credibility with anyone else. They are in it for the money. Plain and simple. In this case they are in it to make Bush look bad. It fits their agenda.

Sec, can I ask you a question? Are you black?

sq764
10-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Perhaps because O'Reilly's been too busy with his sexual harassing of young girls. I guess he liked Clinton more than he pretended. Must be something about that name -- Bill

Wow, and all this time I was unaware O Reilly was found guilty..

Lefty
10-20-2004, 09:13 PM
sec, you're a dem ok. Don't like the tough questions. OReilly plays it dn the middle, but Kerry won't appear. Absolutely no guts.
He refuses to appear on the Sinclair broadcast too. Guess he doesn't have any slick answers about the truth. BTW, I did anwser your question. Bush has nothing to gain by appearing in a totally hostle environment. You expect him to appear in a hostile environment but don't denigrate Kerry for refusing to appear in a neutral one...

Tom
10-20-2004, 10:45 PM

And spining off the question asked by once again launching a personal attack on a third party is the lifeblood fo the DNC...and you. This is getting old and tiresome.

Secretariat
10-21-2004, 01:06 AM
sec, you're a dem ok. Don't like the tough questions. OReilly plays it dn the middle, but Kerry won't appear. Absolutely no guts.
He refuses to appear on the Sinclair broadcast too. Guess he doesn't have any slick answers about the truth. BTW, I did anwser your question. Bush has nothing to gain by appearing in a totally hostle environment.

What you have just posted refutes itself. On the one hand you want Kerry to appear before a hostile environment, but say Bush shouldn't have to. Gimme a break.

So BET is a hostile environment for bush, but Sinclair Broadcasting and Bill O'Reilly is neutral? Please.

NoDayJob
10-21-2004, 01:22 AM

:D Try these apples on for size---President George Bush will likely meet with the Black Caucus, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton about the same time that John Kerry will meet with Bill O'Reilly and the Ku Klux Klan. :D

NDJ

Lefty
10-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Sorry, sec, but you're all wet, O'REilly plays it down the middle; not a hostile environment but a neutral one. Now get this: On Hannity and Colmes Hannity interviewed Cheney and will also interview Bush. He's a conservative interviewing conservatives. Colmes(very liberal)wants to interview Edwards and Kerry and can't get them on. They won't even appear in a friendly environment. What are they AFRAID of, hmmmmm?

Secretariat
10-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Please Lefty...FOX is not a friendly environment for any Democrat. Didn't you read the post on their website about John Kerry which they took down enbarassingly?

sq764
10-21-2004, 02:27 PM

Sec, why doesn't Kerry spend much time campaigning in places like Alaska, Oklahoma or Utah?

Secretariat
10-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Sec, why doesn't Kerry spend much time campaigning in places like Alaska, Oklahoma or Utah?

You need to read THe Electoral College thread. THe only thing that matters is the battlground states. <Cheney> with the rest of the country.

sq764
10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
You need to read THe Electoral College thread. THe only thing that matters is the battlground states. <Cheney> with the rest of the country.

That is exactly what I am getting at, you just answered your own question as to why Bush didn't attend BET events..

You don't waste your campaigning time on foregone conclusions, you spend it focusing on swaying undecided states and voters. It's smart campaigning..

Lefty
10-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Please yourself, Sec, O'Reilly plays it dn the middle, too much in my estimation. And also if you don't think Colmes is super friendly to Dems you haven't been watching, so please don't comment because of what you've heard from others; make up your own mind, AFTER viewing the shows.

PaceAdvantage
10-21-2004, 08:38 PM
That is exactly what I am getting at, you just answered your own question as to why Bush didn't attend BET events..

You don't waste your campaigning time on foregone conclusions, you spend it focusing on swaying undecided states and voters. It's smart campaigning..

It's so satisfying when you get to shut him up, isn't it? It's fun to be on the same side for once!

Tom
10-21-2004, 09:41 PM

Point and game!;)