PDA

View Full Version : A divided America

ljb
10-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Here is a point to ponder.
I was talking with a right winger this morning and we both agreed on the fact that America is more divided now then in times past.
When Bush senior was President many may have disagreed with him but accepted him as president. Same for previous presidents. I suggested it may be from millionaires on both sides of the spectrum using there wealth to create adverse PR for the sitting president. I also suspect talk radio had something to do with this. Any other thoughts- opinions on this?

cj
10-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Yes, America is more divided now, no doubt.

In 2000, it was about 45% Bush, 45% Gore.

In 2004, its about 55% Bush, 45% Kerry.

Damn Bush, just can't keep us united!

ljb
10-19-2004, 03:11 PM
cj,
Sometimes you are a real jerk, this is one of those times!

kenwoodallpromos
10-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Senate vote on intelligence reorganization was 92 for; 6(demos) against; 2(Kerry and Edwards) absent.
The only division in this country is that Kerry and Edwards are out of touch even with their Senate Democrat buddies.
With 77 in favor of Porter Goss, there is no division on terrorism.
If you look at the detailed polling data, people want change, but they want Bush to stay on and do the changing.

ljb
10-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Gentlemen,
I was hoping to start a discussion on the division in America today. If you insist on slamming one side, this discussion cannot progress. Do either of you have an opinion as to the topic mentioned?

sq764
10-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Seriously, I think that the media has a LOT to do with it.. You now have the Rush's, the O Reilly's, the Hannigan's, Jon Stewart, Wolf Blitzer, all the political programs.. I can't remember 10 years ago anything like the onslaught of political shows that we have now.

I also think that war brings out deep feelings in people and they are not afraid to express it. Face it, some people support the war, some don't.. And the fact that people can hold their beliefs against each other says a lot.

Lastly, I think some of the blame goes on the candidates and their parties.. Every election seems to get uglier and uglier when it comes to bashing. Not only do we have to put up with tearing each candidate apart, we have to then figure out which part of their speeches are lies and which are fact. And THEN, we are supposed to take that little part of fact and make a judgement on who we want in office.

sq764
10-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by ljb
Gentlemen,
I was hoping to start a discussion on the division in America today. If you insist on slamming one side, this discussion cannot progress. Do either of you have an opinion as to the topic mentioned?

LJB, sorry, but this is ironic that you would post this.. You do this all the time to people's threads here.. I rarely EVER see a neutral post from you.. Let's not be hypocritical..

JustRalph
10-19-2004, 05:28 PM
LBJ

Where do you think we should draw the dividing line? I know I have some idea's about how to draw the line. But they aren't very practicle. I don't think I get all of you libs to move to California or Mexico for that matter. Then again, how about Canada? I know this..........if Kerry gets elected.......... I am going to take some action. This includes raising my rates to offset the tax increase. I will have to cut the housekeepers pay too....:) Since she informed me she is going to vote for Kerry. I will just explain to her that since Kerry is going to raise my taxes........she will have to take a cut.

Secretariat
10-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I think they should just divvy up the country. Red states can have Bush. Blue states can have Kerry.

That way all the red states can be happy and us blue ones can be happy as well.

Most of them are connected anyway.

sq764
10-19-2004, 06:01 PM
They kinda do that already, it's call 'different countries'..

Steve 'StatMan'
10-19-2004, 06:10 PM
I left the Leno show on the other night when he had Michael Moore on again. Responding to Jay's question, Moore agreed that the country sure is split and was disappointed that this election is causing serious divides among the people. Gee, Michael Moore, I wonder why! Said his movie worldwide may reach $500 Million in the near future.

DJofSD
10-19-2004, 06:11 PM
How about starting the thread over, ljb, and remove that 'right winger' phrase.

DJofSD

ljb
10-19-2004, 08:19 PM
DjofSD,
Yikes I did not think the right winger phrase was controversial. I will re-phrase it. i was talking to a Republican voter.
This is one thing the gentleman and I agreed on. So I thought it would be something we could agree on.

Secretariat
10-19-2004, 09:11 PM
LJB,

The only thing most of here can agree on is to disagree.

DJofSD
10-19-2004, 10:25 PM

I think this says more about you than the others on this board.

As to the topic, I agree. I think as a county we are more polarized than ever before. I believe it's because as a society we've become too impatient. We want everything now.

This applies to our political goals as much as anything else. Any one have a internet reference citing the number of recalls, initiatives and referendums in the last 50 years?

Perhaps those of us that handicap T'bred races are an anachronism. What other form of recreation or gambling offers the 'main thing' once every 30 minutes or so?

Maybe horse players offer hope for the future of political discourse. (Somebody wake me, please!)

DJofSD

sq764
10-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
LJB,

Sec, the problem is that a lot of people do not have an open mind to the way other's think.. Sometimes their, let's say, 'political views' can interfere with clear thinking and keeping that open mind..

Tom
10-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Frankly, I have no desire to be united with people like Ljb Sec, Hcap, et al. I believe the DNC will destroy our country is allowed to have thier way. I have no desrie to compromise with the likes of Jesse Jackson, Tom Dasshole, and other vermine. I prefer to divide and conquer this low life army of liberals. I will never support people like Kerry and Edwards. This is not about right and left - it is about right and wrong. They are wrong. End of story.

Secretariat
10-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Well said Tom. ..Same here in reverse.

Lefty
10-20-2004, 02:12 AM
This country has always been divided. Only about 36% of the people supported the revolutionary war. The leaders did it anyway and left the naysayers in the dust, wringing their cowardly hands.
During the Reagan yrs the Dems launched all manner of hateful attacks against him. The Dems seek to divide us. They are always the one bringing up race and harping about the rich and how men don't give women a chance. All we hear from the DEms now is that Republuicans will try to suppress the black vote. We hear that when Bush has the guts to try to reform a dying SS that he is going to cut benefits for old folks. We hear that tax cuts that benefitted everyone who paid taxes were only benefitting the rich.
Stop and listen to the rhetoric. Who's dividing this country? Listen to the Dems everytime they speak and you will know.

Equineer
10-20-2004, 04:42 AM
The Democrats campaign against Bush rather than for Kerry.

Nasty negative campaigns divide this nation.

Don't let the Democrats distract you.

Remember, there are reasons why you might want to vote for Bush:

You need assault weapons.
You oppose family planning.
You don't need to work for a living.
You want to leave a legacy of massive debt.
You won't need Social Security income.
You work in the medical/drug industry.
You want our children to need a second language.
You are afraid of a fair military draft.
You don't want to understand the war on terror.

Lefty
10-20-2004, 11:25 AM
EQ, you make my case. A panoply of lies and half-truths. Right outta the old Dem playbook. And this is why we're divided lbj!

Secretariat
10-20-2004, 11:29 AM
EQ,

You forgot one.

You like a President who ignores the destruction of our environment.

Equineer
10-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Lefty
EQ, you make my case. A panoply of lies and half-truths. Right outta the old Dem playbook. And this is why we're divided lbj! Here's a Republican opinion we can all agree with...

Pat Robertson Reveals Just How Dumb Bush Really Is

President Bush BEFORE invading Iraq: "we're not going to have any casualties."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/19/robertson.bush.iraq/index.html

sq764
10-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Pat robertson reveals just how dumb Bush is?

Is that equivalent to:

Darryl Strawberry reveals how Morton Downey Jr went wrong

Give me a break..

Lefty
10-20-2004, 11:58 AM
lbj, see the divivsive tone of Eq and sec's posts? They spew the Dem party line. And that, lbj, is why we're divided.

sq764
10-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Equineer
The Democrats campaign against Bush rather than for Kerry.

Nasty negative campaigns divide this nation.

Don't let the Democrats distract you.

Remember, there are reasons why you might want to vote for Bush:

You need assault weapons.
You oppose family planning.
You don't need to work for a living.
You want to leave a legacy of massive debt.
You won't need Social Security income.
You work in the medical/drug industry.
You want our children to need a second language.
You are afraid of a fair military draft.
You don't want to understand the war on terror.

Remember, there are reasons why you might want to vote for Kerry:

You need a windsurfing lesson
You have a copy of “On Golden Pond” that you need signed by Jane Fonda
You burn your hand on 7 Eleven coffee and need to sue quickly
You inherit money and need quick direction on which Cayman banks are the best tax shelters
You are yearning for a more sensitive war
You think your wife’s looks are diminishing and you need a buddy’s wife to make you realize she’s not
You’re interested in seeing how he can pull troops out of Iraq AND add 40,000 troops AND not raise taxes AND not increase the deficit.
You want someone with a ‘plan’
You are responsible for outsourcing workers for the Heinz corporation
You’re hosting an anti-war demonstration and cannot find ketchup for your hot dog

Tom
10-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Is it just me, or is the intelligence level of the liberal post here going south in a big hurry? Now I kow what a loser sound like when the start reality of his postion hits him in the face.

Equineer
10-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Pat robertson reveals just how dumb Bush is?

Is that equivalent to:

Darryl Strawberry reveals how Morton Downey Jr went wrong

Give me a break.. How dumb does it have to get?

Dumb Bush Assertions About Iraq:

We're not going to have any casualties.
We're going to be welcomed as liberators.
We're going to find stockpiles of WMDs.
We're going to find links to 9/11.

Then strutting onto the deck of an aircraft carrier to declare victory in Iraq when 90% of our casualties were still forthcoming.

This guy shouldn't be trusted to lead Boy Scouts on an overnight bivouac.

sq764
10-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey, 'it's just a nuisance'...

kenwoodallpromos
10-20-2004, 02:42 PM
CARTER: Well, one parallel (with Iraq) is that the Revolutionary War more than any other war until recently has been the most bloody war we’ve fought. I think another parallel is that in some ways the Revolutionary War could have been avoided. It was an unnecessary war. Had the British Parliament been a little more sensitive to the colonial’s really legitimate complaints and requests the war could have been avoided completely and of course now we would have been a free country now as is Canada and India and Australia, having gotten our independence in a non-violent way. I think in many ways the British were very misled in going to war against America and in trying to enforce their will on people who were quite different from them at the time.

Secretariat
10-20-2004, 02:48 PM
EQ,

It is pretty unbeleivable when you read the whole CNN interview with Robertson and you realize this is the man in charge of our country. Many here want to pretend Robertson didn't say these things. They probably think he's a liberal or a toy of Michael Moore.

kenwoodallpromos
10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
On the official Kerry campaign website, desribing an April 2004 event:
For Democrats, this is the scene of a what they liken to a political crime. That's how Kerry, seated with Lieberman in the candlelight of an intimate circle of wealthy donors at an oceanfront Palm Beach mansion Sunday night, described the 2000 post-election battle.

"This race was stolen from him and from Al Gore and the Democratic Party," Kerry told a nodding dinner crowd. "They won the race. And to know that you won, and not be inaugurated and not be able to serve is an unbelievable scar to carry."

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
EQ,

It is pretty unbeleivable when you read the whole CNN interview with Robertson and you realize this is the man in charge of our country. Many here want to pretend Robertson didn't say these things. They probably think he's a liberal or a toy of Michael Moore.

I like optimism in a leader. I'll take another 4 more years please. What's my alternative? Vote for a guy who was a borderline traitor during the Vietnam war? Who gave aid and comfort to an ememy of the United States? A man who's done nothing of distinction while a Senator all these years.

That's not Presidential material in my book. You can have him back....no thanks!

Lefty
10-20-2004, 09:31 PM
The left constantly divides us by pitting one group against another. Been going on a long time and easy to handicap. The 2000 race was almost stolen by the Fl Supreme court, actually going against their own Constitution. U.S. Supreme court straightened it our and every recount proves they were righ. But when the Dems get hold of a lie, they never let it go; keep stuffing it down every unsuspecting throat who will "buy" it.