PDA

View Full Version : Ralph et al

keilan
10-19-2004, 02:05 PM
My 8yo daughter was on the computer this morning and asked me to download a screen saver (some little fishes). As soon as this program was downloaded the “pop ups” started. I figured I’d better uninstall the screen saver program and then run Ad- Aware, I’ve now ran it 3 times with about 130 objects removed.

What should I do next so that this problem doesn’t persist?

Operating system –windows 98 2nd edition

JustRalph
10-19-2004, 04:13 PM
I would restore to a registry from yesterday......or earlier.......
It might stop some of the crap from loading automatically.

Using ScanReg Registry Checker.

Each day, after a successful boot, a backup copy of your registry is created (containing the System.dat, User.dat, System.ini and Win.ini files). By default Windows 98 allows you to keep up to 5 copies (rb???.cab - rb???.cab) of your registry (which are saved in the \Windows\Sysbckup folder by default), saved in Windows cabinet files (*.cab).

When Windows notices a problem with your registry, it will automatically replace the registry with a backup copy. The good thing about this new feature is that you can easily restore a previous registry "by hand":

Start Windows in MS-DOS mode (press the Ctrl key as soon as your PC starts. This will get you the Bootup menu. Once the menu is up, choose Command prompt only)
Type Scanreg /restore at the prompt
You will get a screen where you can select which registry backup to use
Choose your backup and press Restore
When ready you'll be prompted to Restart your computer

keilan
10-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Ralph -- I restored it to yesterday’s registry. Hope that takes care of the problem.

Many thanx
:)