PDA

View Full Version : Florida Derby - Booklet

sq764
03-17-2002, 07:59 AM
Was this an idiotic ride or what? Everyone that was watching the race knew that there was a rabbit put into the race for the soul purpose of toasting Booklet on the front end. Yet he still was allowed to go 22 and change and 45 and change, and let Harlan's Holiday blow past like he was standing still..

I was sitting at home very tempted to bet Booklet at 7/2 when I saw him sitting there with a few minutes to post.. Sure glad I reconsidered, b/c I would have been yelling at 'chop chop' through the screen..

Scott

rrbauer
03-17-2002, 01:15 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Pletcher & Co. gained by doing that. One of his horses ran 7th and the other one ran 10th. At least BOOKLET picked up some chump change by running 4th.

BTW...Chavez and Guidry had words after the race and they are both riding in the Tampa Bay Downs Derby today and both are riding "need to lead" types.

DING-DONG! :)

ranchwest
03-17-2002, 03:15 PM
I usually figure that these types of rides are probably intentional. The trainer may want to know how far the horse can carry a fast pace. It may be a yardstick for future races.

charleslanger
03-17-2002, 04:26 PM
good point, ranchwest-- since the buzz on Booklet at one time was how effortlessly he would rate, actually how he would rate himself once disposing of a rival and re-take off once approached by another rival...

andicap
03-17-2002, 05:31 PM
My question is this: Often, does it do more harm than good to try and rate a headstrong young horse like Booklet. Don't they fight the bit and use up much of energy anyway even if the jock tries to pull him back.
I wouldn't blame Chavez: it's pretty tough for a 115lb jock to hold back a 900 lb. horse. If he wants to go, he'll go. It seems to me it's the trainer's job to school the horse so that he won't be so headstrong.
But I could be wrong.......??

cj
03-17-2002, 05:58 PM
does it do more harm than good to try and rate a headstrong young horse like Booklet...?

What was the goal? If it was to win the lion's share of a $1m purse, then it would do a lot of harm. If the goal was to get this horse to the Derby with a legit shot, then no harm at all. Depends what they really wanted today.

CJ

Observer
03-17-2002, 06:07 PM
While I do believe a lot about a horse depends on the schooling that horse receives, I also think there are some horses that just can never adapt well to any other situation. Some horses just absolutely need to be on the lead at whatever expense, while others need to be left completely alone early so they can make their one big run in the stretch. Trying to force a horse into some other running style effectively removes the horse from his best game, in my opinion.

Some horses are just more willing and tolerant than others. Consider how some horses ship without a problem, yet others don't. Or how some horses just absolutely hate being down on the rail trapped inside of horses, while other horses have no problem being in the tighest of spots either down on the rail or between horses.

In the case of Booklet's Florida Derby .. didn't everyone pretty much agree he probably couldn't get a distance anyway? And how often can the Derby be stolen by a front-runner? I know it has happened .. Spend a Buck in 1985 and Winning Colors in 1988 quickly come to mind. But, chances are, Booklet would not get an easy lead in the Derby. Let's face it, the only time this horse came from off the pace was in his 5 furlong debut when he was a couple lengths back at the first call.

Maybe they should be looking to the Met Mile for Booklet?

rrbauer
03-17-2002, 06:22 PM
I thought that BOOKLET could get 1 1/8m. His last race EP, LP and my Power fig all were above the Par for yesterday's race. I think there has been some misconception about BOOKLET getting "soft" fractions in his previous races. His EP numbers were right on the money to par. I'm just not sure if he has any more room for improvement. If not, then for sure he's going nowhere as far as the classics go...especially with his running style (and, I don't think that will change) and some of the bigger, long-striding animals coming to the dance.

IMHO!

charleslanger
03-18-2002, 02:32 AM
both his trainer and jock are on record attesting to his rateability. I assume they took advantage of bias in last coupla races(as well as protecting him on off-track), and maybe shoring up his route conditioning; and that henceforth you will see stalking efforts. He doesn't need to win any more races to ensure entry into derby.

Tom
03-18-2002, 09:51 AM
I hope he goes in the Derby - the more speed-crazed non contenders the better. Love those real racehorses storming down the stretch at good odds. Bookklet appears to be a member of the warm up band, so to speak. Entertaining early on, but once the "Stones" come on stage, the real show begins.

Tom :eek:

JimH
03-19-2002, 12:09 AM
Booklet in 2002, Songandaprayer in 2001.

Is there a difference? No!

Smooth Jazz was in the race to set it up for Nokoma, who flat-out didn't fire. You know what they say about "best-laid plans".

As for betting him at 7/2--great if you like huge underlays.

And don't blame Chavez for anything. When Mr. Ward tells you "Put this horse on the lead," you put the horse on the lead. And if someone forces you to work harder for the top, you do whatever you can to still get the lead. If you don't, someone else is riding him next time.

FortuneHunter
03-19-2002, 09:14 AM
Booklet will learn to rate.

Booklet will win at 1 1/8 in Graded Company this year.

Ward was not interested in winning the Fla Derby. He tested Booklet. Chavez followed instructions. That's the way this Kentucky hard boot trains.

When the time is right, Booklet will make you some money.

Wait and see

FH

sq764
03-19-2002, 10:41 AM
I just cannot figure using a $1 million race to 'test' your horse's limitations.. Couldn't he have found an allowance race to do this?

rrbauer
03-19-2002, 10:52 AM
From FH:
When the time is right, Booklet will make you some money.

Comment: He already has! Bet him 3 times and he won 2 of them and wasn't fav in any of them. 2 out of 3 works for me!

cj
03-19-2002, 10:55 AM
When trainers say there horse can rate, then they don't rate, it usually means they can't. Time will tell, but I've seen this act played out many times before!

CJ

FortuneHunter
03-19-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I just cannot figure using a $1 million race to 'test' your horse's limitations.. Couldn't he have found an allowance race to do this?

I think Ward wanted to try the top of the class with that move.

An Allowance race would have not got the job done.