PDA

View Full Version : Tough Blow For Kerry!

JustMissed
10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Hey, When you are a "Globalish" kind of guy, you just set yourself up to get kicked in the nards. Oh well.

snipped from drudgereport.com:

"Canada deals blow to cheap US drug imports
By Bernard Simon in Toronto
Published: October 17 2004 21:47 | Last updated: October 17 2004 21:47

More than 30 Canadian internet pharmacies have decided not to accept bulk orders of prescription drugs from US states and municipalities.

The move delivers a potentially serious setback to US politicians most notably Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry campaigning to give Americans easier access to cheap drugs from Canada.

Mr Kerry has argued that opening the US to Canadian imports could help lower the costs of prescription drugs for elderly Americans. Such reimportation has become one of the points of difference between him and President George W. Bush during the election campaign.

But growing concern in Canada that growing exports to the US could lead to rising prices and shortages north of the border has prompted the Canadian International Pharmacy Association (Cipa), whose members include several of the biggest internet and mail-order drugstores, to act. “We don't want to give Americans the impression that we have unlimited supply for them to tap into on a commercial basis,” said David Mackay, the association's executive director. Americans, he added, “can't get everything from Canada. We can't be your complete drugstore”.

Prescription drug prices are significantly lower in Canada than the US, because of price controls and bulk buying by the 10 provinces. Individual Americans have crossed the border for years to buy cheap medicines, but the internet and spiralling healthcare costs in the US have led to a wider movement for states and cities to sourcethe drugs they need from Canada. Several states, such as Minnesota and New Hampshire, have set up websites directing residents to approved pharmacies in Canada. Cipa members would continue to service these customers, Mr Mackay said, but would not deal with states such as Illinois and Wisconsin that have proposed turning over their entire supply system to a Canadian internet pharmacy.

Cipa members make up about a quarter of the roughly 150 internet pharmacies operating in Canada, raising the question whether others will follow its lead. Mr Mackay said discussion had been heated at an all-day meeting of Cipa last month at which the new policy was approved. With pharmaceutical manufacturers seeking to restrict supplies and the US Congressional Budget Office recently saying that reimportation from Canada would have a “negligible” impact on US drugs spending, the internet pharmacies have already had difficulty meeting demand from south of the border.

Several have set up alliances with pharmacies in other countries. A sharp rise in the Canadian dollar has also squeezed profits.

Ujjal Dosanjh, Canada's health minister, said over the weekend that he was not concerned “at this point” either about domestic shortages or the safety of Canadian medicines.

Still, public opinion appears to be gradually turning against the online operators. Canadian Treatment Action Council, a lobby group representing pharmacists and patients, is due to speak out today against drug exports to the US."

HEY, IF ANYONE SHOULD KNOW A HORSEPLAYER SHOULD KNOW THEY DON'T CASH LOSING TICKETS. GOOD THING GEORGE BUSH IS LOOKING OUT FOR THE PEOPLE.

JM

Tom
10-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Kerry's whole plan is for someone to bail out everyone. First, his secret plan for getting allies involved in Iraq, but Europe says no way jose. Then, his plan to tax people over $200K to pay for everything, but oopps! nowhere near enough money in that group, now Canada turns his health care program upside down.
He has been spoiled with Terreza....not everyone can find a "sugar-mamma" to take care of them.
Heheh.....wonder who pays for his botox?:p

Secretariat
10-17-2004, 08:34 PM
There you go again as ole RR would say...

1. Fist Bush refuses to allow negotiation with drug companies to get lower costs for Americans purchasing drugs.

2. Then he allows these same American companies to sell these drugs "cheaper" to other countries such as Canada, so that foreigners can purchase the drugs "cheaper" than Americans because Canada neogtiates as a country with the drug companies.

3. Then he prosecutes seniors going to Canada to purchase the same American drugs they get in this country for less.

4. Then he says in the debates he is thinking about doing it as early as December but he is concerned for our safety in using these foregin drugs.

5. Then we find out that the flu vaccine is almost totally made in a foreign country, and he has no back up plan except to tell Americans don't get a flu shot - just pray you don't get sick and we have no flu epidemic.

I am amazed that anyone could still support this guy. He's an embarassment to our nation.

schweitz
10-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
There you go again as ole RR would say...

1. Fist Bush refuses to allow negotiation with drug companies to get lower costs for Americans purchasing drugs.

2. Then he allows these same American companies to sell these drugs "cheaper" to other countries such as Canada, so that foreigners can purchase the drugs "cheaper" than Americans because Canada neogtiates as a country with the drug companies.

3. Then he prosecutes seniors going to Canada to purchase the same American drugs they get in this country for less.

4. Then he says in the debates he is thinking about doing it as early as December but he is concerned for our safety in using these foregin drugs.

5. Then we find out that the flu vaccine is almost totally made in a foreign country, and he has no back up plan except to tell Americans don't get a flu shot - just pray you don't get sick and we have no flu epidemic.

I am amazed that anyone could still support this guy. He's an embarassment to our nation.

You are really getting desperate.:rolleyes:

boxcar
10-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Secretariat wrote:

Don't be "amazed", Sec. Let me give you a clue: Bush has so many supporters because as Tom has pointed out, all of Kerry's great plans for this, that and some other thing will never see the light of day, and he'll wind up becoming a bigger embarrasment to this country than Bush could ever become. Kerry is all bluster and no substance.

Boxcar

Tom
10-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Flu vaccine being made overseas to avoid lawsuits filed by John "the Hammer" Edwards.
Kerry and the dems cause the problems, then try to blame Bush for them.

BTW...if your kids want to go trick or treating dressed as Kerry, all you have to do is saw off the bolts on the neck of your Frankenstien masks.;)

JustRalph
10-17-2004, 10:07 PM
because there is evidence that this would stop research on new drugs

President Bush doesn't regulate drug prices....duh!

It's called breaking the law.......funny difference between Dems and Repubs.......Repubs seem to have a knack for enforcing the law

Several plans to participate in these programs have been under study for two years. Even the Clinton Admin studied the Canadien market early on. No guarantee on quality control has stopped any and all plans

Now you want the Government to go into the Vaccine business.....who pays for that? oh yeah....the rich 200k types

keep being amazed and out of touch with reality. Speaking of embarrasments, you guys nominated a man with no record, a trial lawyer who can't get re-elected in his own state because he ruined an entire segment of the states ob-gyn medical care. And you worship at the altar of men like M.Moore and the Hollywood elite. You rationalize murder, you want to turn over the defense of this country to the corrupt governments of France and Germany. You don't give a damn about any other parts of the country except the Northeast and California. You think you are better than those who inhabit the heartland. You worship corrupt unions and cheer when they use force to intimidate voters. going on 50 years now you have been fighting a war on poverty that does nothing more than keep people subserviant to your power structure. And the tax payers have financed that war to the tune of a trillion or more dollars. You prop up Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and buy them off with corporate donations as long as they carry your water and keep "their people" walking in lock step with your agenda. And you think President Bush is an embarrassment? I think you must have seen the CNN/Gallup Poll that shows Bush up 8 points. It must have fired you up. I don't believe the poll and still believe a Bush win will be a miracle........but it sure brought you out didn't it....

Secretariat
10-17-2004, 10:48 PM
quote:

1. First Bush refuses to allow negotiation with drug companies to get lower costs for Americans purchasing drugs.
because there is evidence that this would stop research on new drugs

(Even if this were true (which it isn’t), why are other countries RATHER than ours allowed to negotiate with drug companies for lower costs. Wouldn’t your argument be applicable to foreign nations as well as our own? But no, these companies DO negotiate with these nations for lower costs.)

President Bush doesn't regulate drug prices....duh!

(The VA negotiates prices. Why can’t Medicare? Yes, we know President Bush doesn’t negotiate. That’s the whole problem.)

It's called breaking the law.......funny difference between Dems and Repubs.......Repubs seem to have a knack for enforcing the law. (Except for the Geneva Conventions or the Fourth Amendment, or the FCC’s own rules )

Several plans to participate in these programs have been under study for two years. Even the Clinton Admin studied the Canadien market early on. No guarantee on quality control has stopped any and all plans (For God’s sake JR, he’s been in office 4 years and has only talked about prosecuting those coming across with drugs from Canada. The only drugs he seems to protect are those for Rush.)

Now you want the Government to go into the Vaccine business.....who pays for that? oh yeah....the rich 200k types. (Well, if they are, they sure as <Cheney> aren’t doing too good a job for it are they? He outsourced yet another job, and now we’re reliant on the French.)

keep being amazed and out of touch with reality. Speaking of embarrasments, you guys nominated a man with no record, a trial lawyer who can't get re-elected in his own state because he ruined an entire segment of the states ob-gyn medical care. And you worship at the altar of men like M.Moore and the Hollywood elite. You rationalize murder, you want to turn over the defense of this country to the corrupt governments of France and Germany. You don't give a damn about any other parts of the country except the Northeast and California. You think you are better than those who inhabit the heartland. You worship corrupt unions and cheer when they use force to intimidate voters. going on 50 years now you have been fighting a war on poverty that does nothing more than keep people subserviant to your power structure. And the tax payers have financed that war to the tune of a trillion or more dollars. You prop up Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and buy them off with corporate donations as long as they carry your water and keep "their people" walking in lock step with your agenda. And you think President Bush is an embarrassment? I think you must have seen the CNN/Gallup Poll that shows Bush up 8 points. It must have fired you up. I don't believe the poll and still believe a Bush win will be a miracle........but it sure brought you out didn't it....

(Well, JR, I don’t really follow polls either, and have no idea who’s up. I’m upset about the flu vaccine because I have elderly parents who are vulnerable. I’m upset because this guy doesn’t seem to prepare for anything, and refuses to accept any responsibilty for one failing after another. He’s never shown a profit in the private sector, and he’s shows terrible acumen as a fiscal conservative in the WH running up the alrgest deficits in our history. He’s never been involved in a war, and it has shown by his poor post war planning, and reliance on President Cheney for advice. You want to blame it all on Clinton, or Michael Moore, or me and LBJ. The truth is he has failed. Failed our soldiers, failed our workers, failed our seniors, and failed our future children by borrowing from them for his rich buddies. I stand by my words. He is an embarassment.)

JustRalph
10-17-2004, 11:10 PM
same ole Shit from Sec.........as usual. Blame everybody else and try to scare the old people and the poor..........

Lefty
10-18-2004, 12:56 PM
sec, before you get your knickers in a twist about flu shots; only a few people in this country die from the flu ea yr. Better to tell your parents to be careful crossing thestreet. I am 67, never had a flu shot nor do I intend to get one.
In 76 or 77 Swine flu was the biggie. Everyone where the wife and I worked rushed out and got a flu shot. My wife and I did not and were about the only ones who DIDN'T get the flu.

Tom
10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
There are sicknesses out there far worse than the flu.
Read some of Sec's posts and you will see what I mean:D

ponyplayer
10-19-2004, 09:23 AM
:) :) :) :) :)