PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL Players as announcers..

sq764
10-17-2004, 04:11 PM
I have recently started to turn the tv on mute and listen to the radio when the Eagles are on.. Somehow I always get either Troy Aikman or Daryl Johnston, and I am not quite sure which one I want to kill more..

These 2 LOVE to hear themselves talk and totally take away from the game... I am not sure if I hate them more than Tim McCarver, but it's close.

Man do I miss Madden and Summerall already..

bettheoverlay
10-17-2004, 05:14 PM
And we always get portly Tony Saragussa roaming the sidelines, instead of some hot babe.

But I don't know how you can take Merrill Reese on radio either, one of the worst homers around.

sq764
10-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Maybe it's me, but I want my hometown announcer to be biased!!

Most good announcers are biased.. I grew up listening to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn, loved em..

cj
10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
I think local announcers should be biased. Growing up listening to Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell doing Os and Colts games, I wouldn't want some neutral guy calling the game on my local station.

Tom
10-17-2004, 07:00 PM
My interest in baseball, dead for many years, is on again only with TV on mute and radio audio on.

Valuist
10-18-2004, 10:25 AM
McCarver, the master of the obvious, has to be up there. There's a couple former players on the ESPN show I can't stand: Steve Young and Michael Irvin. Young thinks everything is about the QB and Irvin thinks its all the WR. OJ Simpson used to be like that when he was on MNF. I don't know why ESPN got rid of Sterling (not Shannon) Sharpe. Sharpe had excellent analysis but would sometimes make controversial comments. I'll never forget one time Berman made a stupid comment, and Sterling told him "put the crack pipe down." Berman got white as a ghost.

sq764
10-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Oh God, Michael Irvin is the worst!!

Is it me or is he always screaming at the camera? It wouldn't be so bad if he could actually speak fluent English..

Valuist
10-18-2004, 10:38 AM
I have no idea why they hired him. Maybe he's a little more low key than Sterling was but a downgrade in terms of knowledge of the game.

sq764
10-18-2004, 10:43 AM
But if you are undecided about which type of weed to buy, he's your man..

OTM Al
10-18-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm not much a football fan, but the absolute worst was the end of the Frank Gifford run on Monday Night Football. What was it, him and Dan Dierdorf that would just sit there and giggle through the whole game. I can't believe Al Micheals was able to make it through that hell. I actually liked the Dennis Miller experiment. At least he would make the same sort of smart ass comments my friends and I would as we watched the game. Of course my favorite for all that was when Mike Lupica and Norm Hitzgas (I think that's who it was) were doing games for ESPN when they first got baseball. I just remember one of them coming stright out and saying "That was the dumbest play I've ever seen" Well, it was and we were rolling. It was refreshing to say the least.