PDA

View Full Version : Where do I not play?

ranchwest
03-16-2002, 11:36 PM
Lone Star has done it again. These folks stoop to new lows in rudeness and not caring that they are.

Today, my son had baseball practice, so I dropped off some bets (I bet on over 60 races today) and went back tonight to pick up my money. I parked next to the building in line with about 20 other cars. A valet attendant started harrassing me about the fire lane and the fire marshall. I told him I'd be back in 5 minutes. He continued to harrass me, so I asked him about all the other cars. He said they were cars that they hadn't finished valet parking, that they couldn't do them all at once. Of course, the attendants were doing nothing at all.

I went in, cashed my tickets and asked a few questions about the handicapping contest, the rules of which no longer appear on the LSP web site. The information clerk didn't know much about it and didn't have the rules. "They don't give me the rules." Very snide.

Then, I complained about the treatment by the valet attendant. The information clerk was very negative about my complaint. So, I told him I was tired of being treated in this manner and would stay home and bet online. He said, "Good!" I let him know that I'm of the opinion that this is why they are losing customers.

When I went back outside, I asked the valet attendant why everyone was standing around instead of parking those cars they hadn't gotten to yet. He told me that those were VIP cars. So, I told him that if my car was in the fire lane, those cars were in the fire lane, too. He told me that if the fire marshall told them to move the cars, they would move the cars. Obviously the previous story from the same attendant was not the same as the story he gave me when I came out.

Obviously, this wasn't about the fire lane. It was about fees and tips. Just like always at LSP. Their hands are in your pockets before you can count to one.

I'm a Lone Star "Star Player", a regular, I bet, I'm in the finals of their handicapping contest, but I'm not good enough to park for 5 minutes in the middle of all of the other cars because I'm not a VIP.

If you choose to go to LSP, just know that this is the way they treat their customers.

Observer
03-17-2002, 12:26 AM
What a lousy situation! Gee, is it any wonder that this track sold out to Stronach?

Customer Service in any and every industry is pathetic. Very few people genuinely try to make the effort to at least be a little helpful ... and those who go above and beyond are a rare jewel.

If you have a gripe, I would suggest trying to contact a higher up with some real authority at the track, or try writing a letter to one or a few of them. Not saying that's going to get you anywhere, or even make a dent on correcting their obvious disgregard for fans, but at least you would be venting to someone who actually has a meaningful position at the track, rather than a minimum wage customer service rep.

ranchwest
03-17-2002, 12:39 AM
I copied my above message to the feedback email on the LSP web site.

I just want to clarify that it wasn't what they told me, it was the way they told me. Very arrogant, very unconcerned. I don't care for that attitude. You know, a person can be empathetic and still say no -- that's the way to treat a customer. Not the I'm going to rub your nose in it and make you like it attitude.

Observer
03-17-2002, 12:46 AM
I understand what you meant .. sorry if it didn't come across that way. The saying "a smile is contagious" works in reverse too .. because a bad attitude is just as infectious .. like a disease! ;)

smf
03-17-2002, 01:55 AM
RW,

Excellent topic ;)

I was going to respond to AD's thread but I like this one better. The past 2 years I've gone to LS about 4 times a week during the live meet and after getting treatment as you describe, I won't go back but to bet claims from the FG running out at LS. Like I told GR1, I'm doing what I can to eliminate LS from my handicapping schedule.

As a co-worker that I used to meet out there on weekends told me, "they treat me like they don't want my business. I guess it's time to grant them their damn wish". He hasn't been back since (1999).

I've politely complained (via telephone, email, face to face conversations) about things from lack of info on their website, food quality (and costs), admissions and parking price hikes, getting charged double on my credit card bill when I sat in the dining section (happened to me twice, along with my buddy on the same days---it was not a mistake, obviously), security guards that are outright rude (barney fife syndrome), no place to sit down on the first floor outside of the 95+ degree heat, the fact they rope off the eastside patio on "big event" days (that's where you can see the exchange between jocks, trainers after the races, and check for how a horse came out of a race), and when I had a jacket stolen from my car last season, a security guard told me "well i ain't got it".

These guys are clueless. I read in the DMN on closing day last season that LS has lost 22% of their business from the opening year. Think about that! You start a business and 5 yrs later you go backwards. Some mgmnt team.

They could care less, RW. That's why I will only go to LS to bet the FG claims running here. In the offseason I have only gone 4 times since July. I imagine I'll go once a month, that's it. The rest of my betting w/b from home or elsewhere.

smf
03-17-2002, 02:22 AM
Observer,

It was very difficult to get by first level supervision @ LS. "He/ she isn't here at the moment" used to be the stock line. I guess the notes to call back were filed in the circular file b/c I never did get a call back.

I emailed Johnsen 3 years ago, no response. I also emailed some higher level person (the guy has since left for Arlington pk, can't recall his name) and got no response there either. None.

I'm not the only one that has been stoned by that bunch. Far from it.

As long as that place is packed on fri's- sun's during the off season they really could care less.

A side note...(RW, GR1 can tell me if they've corrected this @ LS). Before I found out about youbet in 1999 we used to have to stand in line for at least 20 minutes outside (rain, cold, you name it) before the simo's doors opened to guarantee a "carrel" for simo racing on weekends. If you arrived when they opened the doors (30 min's prior to the first race), you took a huge risk not being able to purchase a place to sit with a monitor. After being shut out a couple of times, you learn to arrive early. When LS sees this type of 'mouse after cheese' mentality from the patrons, they don't feel a need to respond to customers bitching.

ranchwest
03-17-2002, 08:36 AM
I haven't been there early enough to see whether the lines still exist. I'm in the trained seal category now, I'm so accustomed to not being able to get a monitor/desk that I don't even bother to try. I think they take reservations now, but I'm not sure. Most of the time I just go bet and go home -- too many bad episodes there.

Your comment about seating is my biggest pet peave. My first track, one that I played for many years, was Delta Downs. At that time (since changed for slot machines), the entire lower level was a big open room, concrete floors. Everyone brought their lawn chairs and watched monitors. A few people would step outside to watch live races go off. This was very similar to what it was like at Trinity Meadows. It was a place for good ole boys (used in a positive context) to gather and be with friends.

At Lone Star, there's no place for people to control their seating, so you can't establish long-term friendships. I don't like running the risk of sitting next to a jerk and not being able to just pick up my chair and move. And, I certainly don't like it that, as you pointed out, every chair that is outside of the 100+ degree weather is for sale except sometimes some of the patio seats and a few benches, both of which are difficult to control possession.

I can't imagine running a business in a worse fashion.

I've been putting off getting an online account, but I've finally decided that there are far more reasons to have one than not.

LurkingBettor
03-17-2002, 01:29 PM
RW,

I, too, have had problems with the valet parking guys at LSP. Was driving (at the time) a late model Corvette and didn't feel like letting the valet guys get their hands on it. Accidently parked in the "valet only" lot and proceeded to get my butt chewed out by one of the parking attendants who took the time to come over and personally chastise me.

As a "Star Player", horseman, AND having a legitimate disabled placard, I tried to explain to him that certainly I could have some leniency. (of course all of the close up handicapped spots were filled). No way.....according to him.

Those guys are on some kind of "power" trip and are further intimidated by LSP telling them that there are cameras in the light poles watching everything they do.

I rarely even bother now. I'd usually go in and drop $20-$30 each on food and drinks at the simulcast pavilion, but, it didn't appear they really wanted my business. I'll go to the grandstands now and just get a $4 hotdog. Their loss.....my gain.

You might try touching base with Keith Moore. I'm assuming you know who he is. He does appear to have some concern for what goes on around there.

LB

smf
03-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Two experiences from the way LS handles their seating...this stuff happens all the time, not an occasional snafu.

At the live races they reserve the westside covered area by the Pavillion (they call it a "garden", lol) for groups.Weekends are run at 1:30, as opposed to nights on weekdays. It gets brutally hot b/c there are no trees on the trackside and almost all pavement. They usually rent this out to groups and you'll see a sign that says "Reserved for _____". Usually for 'Bubba's Paint and Body', or 'Thelma Lou's Big Arss and Blue Hair Parlor'.

One day last June after about the 5th race a couple w/ a small kid wandered over to the westside area and wanted to sit in the shade there. Of course, there was a security guard standing there and told them the covered area was reserved. The lady said 'but there are only 3 people sitting in there' (the place holds about 300-400). The guard got belligerent and the couple headed straight for the exit after going at it w/ the security clown.

RW, you're right about the Pavillion's seating arrangemment. Once, 3 of us went to LS together and the clod that seated us told us we'd have to 'break up' b/c he c/ only seat 2 or 4 together, not 3. We were the first 3 people in line!

Just very frustrating.

ranchwest
03-17-2002, 03:10 PM
They would also have a lot more business if they would have a Pavillion type place that was smoke free. As a former smoker, I understand that smokers want to be able to smoke. However, non-smokers should not have to be subjected to that smoke. It leaves your clothes smelly and your nasal passages damaged. Just calling one side of a smokey room non-smoking doesn't cut it.

GR1@HTR
03-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Went to LS yesterday for the first time since live racing. Got there before the gates opened...waited in a short line and then went to the restuarant side to get a cubical in non smoking...THey were friggin sold out!!! That has never happend before...usually they sell out/fill up about 30 minutes after the gates open...not 5 to 10...Luckily I was notifed that there was a no show so I ended up getting a seat. While making small talk with Susan the hostess, she indicated that they LS simulcast center has had their busiest Jan, Feb, March ever this year...Amazing...90% of their customers are not even aware of internet betting or don't know how to use a computer...so unfortunately it looks there is not much incentive for the folks at LS to change since in their eyes they have no competition. I matter of fact, there are probably only about 5 LS patrons who know how to bet on the internet and we all post here...

ranchwest
03-17-2002, 03:56 PM
There are quite a few knowledgeable DFW people on here. Would anyone be interested in getting together for coffee and just see where the conversation goes?

smf
03-17-2002, 04:28 PM
RW,

I'm up for it. I'll be out of town next weekend tho.

GR1@HTR
03-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Sounds good, I'm out town the following week. Maybe we could meet up at friendly Moan Star when it opens for live racing...

smf
03-17-2002, 11:13 PM
Sounds good, folks. I have girlfriend duty mon-wed nites this week. Am free Thurs nite if that fits. Going to New Orleans Saturday. I can meet up any time after that.

ranchwest
03-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Things didn't work out for this week, we're trying for next week, 3/25, 3/27 or 3/28. Possibly far north Dallas. Open to suggestions.

GR1@HTR
03-21-2002, 12:58 AM
RW,

I'm pretty open. Work in Addison and live in Plano but don't mind making the drive to Irving. LS is fine with me as well. Perhaps we can grab a table in the dining area or wait till the live meet starts.

ranchwest
03-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Addison would be a central location.

smf
03-21-2002, 04:26 PM
anywhere's fine w/ me. Just a suggestion....Jason's Deli's are all over the metroplex and m/b a good place to meet, or a Barnes & Noble like RW mentioned. Neither Jason's nor Barnes & Noble charge to park in their lots, and they don't charge you to walk thru their doors, lol.

And I'll go out on a limb to guess that Jason's and B&N's coffee/ tea is better than the stuff LS sells as well ;) . If you have bets to make tho, LS is ok w/ me.

GR1@HTR
03-22-2002, 10:44 AM
Jason's Deli is great. BBQ also good with me. There is Spring Creek BBQ and Solly's. Anyplace that serves food is ok in my book.

ranchwest
03-22-2002, 11:27 AM
Jason's at 4021 Beltline, between Midway and Marsh in Addison, might be good. When I called, they said they thought they were open until 10 pm.

Now, to select a day. lol

GR1@HTR
03-22-2002, 11:34 AM
They have an excellent Seafood Gumbo and the Mushroom Sandwich aka Muffalata (sp) is good too. Jason's it is...

sq764
03-22-2002, 11:18 PM
I was just in Dallas on business Monday night and was about 15 mins from Lonestar. I was tempted to head over and had time when a dinner got cancelled, but fortunately, it was pouring rain..

Ended up going to 'Dick's Last Resort' for dinner.. Interesting place..

Scott

ranchwest
03-23-2002, 12:10 AM
In follow-up to my original post, Lone Star's G.W. Hale tried to call me, I tried to call him and he never returned the phone tag.

He did send me a nice email, in which he apologized for the insensitive manner in which LSP employees handled the situation. He promised to send some coupons. I'll post if I receive the coupons.

I'm still not very pleased with the way LSP is run, but I'm still in the contest, so I guess I'll be there tomorrow. After that, we'll see.

Speaking of the contest, I don't understand the rules. It is a $1750 contest over 4 weeks. A winner every week of $250 and a grand prize of $1000. Doesn't that add up to $2000? I'm not up to asking, their responses have left me a bit weary.

BillW
03-23-2002, 12:20 AM
ranchwest,

possibly

week #1 - $250
week #2 - $250
week #3 - $250
week #4 - $1000 ???

Just a swag

Bill W.

PS I hope I'm not right ... don't wanna be accused of thinking like track mgmt.:confused:

smf
03-24-2002, 12:18 AM
RW,

Good to hear that someone is looking to soothe the situation. Not sure the problem w/ go away, tho. But he did make the call, and that's a positive thang.

I just got home from your old stomping grounds- The FG. I have never enjoyed a day at the races quite like I did today at the FG. Employees were nice, the track has a genuine flavor to it (unlike our home track in GP) and the atmosphere was 'major league' in every way, yet still relaxed. Unbelievable food, too. I'll definitely go back a few times each season from here on.

Dem Cajuns, dey good peoples, no?

ranchwest
03-24-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by smf

Dem Cajuns, dey good peoples, no?

I gaaaaa ron tee.

rrbauer
03-24-2002, 07:57 PM
Do you guys have email?

smf
03-24-2002, 10:04 PM
rrbauer,

Yes, yes we do. Nice of you to ask...........

Have a nice day.