PDA

View Full Version : Pico Central no go for the Sprint

cj
10-15-2004, 06:44 PM
http://www.drf.com/bc/2004/sprint/sprint.html

JustRalph
10-15-2004, 07:04 PM
that sucks.......... I was looking forward to watching that one run.

betchatoo
10-15-2004, 10:28 PM
After watching his last race I was thinking that this was my single for Breeder's Cup day

OTM Al
10-16-2004, 02:54 PM
This need to supplement horses who are not pre-entered is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard and what prevents this event from being a true championship. I wouldn't pay $200,000 to get him in a race when he's already the acknowledged sprint champion

Whirlaway
10-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Where would the purse money come from if they didn't have nomination fees? Besides, Gary Tanaka certainly has the dough to suplement him if he chooses.

foregoforever
10-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Whirlaway
Where would the purse money come from if they didn't have nomination fees? Besides, Gary Tanaka certainly has the dough to suplement him if he chooses.

Bravo for Tanaka. The 20% fee for supplementing non-nominated horses whose sire was also non-nominated is ridiculously large. The owner ends up losing money unless his horse wins, and even if he wins, the payout is hardly worth running against a 14-horse field.

The system was set up by, and for the benefit of, the large breeding operations in the US and Europe (like Coolmore and Juddmont), and it works against the smaller operations in South America. The 20% fee needs to be eliminated in favor of the 9% fee that currently applies to non-nominated horses whose sire was nominated.

depalma13
10-18-2004, 08:09 PM
The only change I would allow, is if the horse is ranked in the top 5 and not nominated and not by a nominated stallion, then it should be given a break. If it comes from a non nominated stallion, then make it's fee be 14% of the purse. Otherwise, I don't think it should be changed at all. If it was, no one would nominate their horses and just wait and see if the horse was eventual good enough.

I spend the $500 each to nominate the weanlings I get each year. It makes them worth more money when I put them up for sale and it supports an event that I believe in.