PDA

View Full Version : News from the Front and our ally Saudi Arabia

Secretariat
10-14-2004, 02:53 PM
From the front:

http://ydr.com/story/mike/45086/

and our ally...sorry it is a registered NY times site so posting article...

Saudis Blame U.S. and Its Role in Iraq for Rise of Terror
By JOEL BRINKLEY

Published: October 14, 2004

IYADH, Saudi Arabia, Oct. 13 - Seventeen months into a shadowy terror campaign that has killed more than 100 people, numerous Saudis express less anger at the insurgents than at the United States for its invasion of Iraq, the signal event that they say touched off the attacks inside the kingdom.

In interviews over the last week, the Saudis condemned the terror attacks, aimed primarily at foreigners, but called them a small inconvenience that has not forced them to make significant changes in their daily lives. By contrast, they expressed unremitting disdain for the United States.

Many Saudis appear to have reached a form of intellectual accommodation with those carrying out the violence. When asked about the attackers' goals, they assigned varied motives but often one that is consistent with their personal, social or political concerns.

The interviews were with nearly two dozen Saudis, from a bejeweled prince of the royal court, sipping coffee at a cafe, to a truck driver wearing a frayed caftan, clutching a bag of onions at a local supermarket.

"The attackers want the government to give more money to the people," said the truck driver, Jaber al-Malky, 24. But Prince Mubarak al-Shafi said, "This certain sect of people is unhappy about alien ideas, particularly about the democracy that the United States wants from nations all over the world, especially Saudi Arabia."

Behind all this lies an ever more complex Saudi-American relationship. Its foundation, of course, is the shared need to buy and sell oil. But the fact that 15 of the 19 Sept. 11 hijackers were Saudi has become an issue in the presidential campaign, as has the accusation that the Bushes are too close to the royal family.

No one here seems to care about any of that. Instead Saudis unceasingly complain about American support for Israel and the war in Iraq, which they call unjustified, though Saudi Arabia allowed American troops to operate here during the war. Government officials also say they deplore the Bush administration's call for more democracy here. "It's none of their business," one of them said with scorn.

Saudi Arabia's leaders offer conflicting opinions on the local terrorists' motives. Within hours of each other on Sunday, the Saudi interior minister and a half brother of King Fahd offered polar analyses.

"Unemployment creates one of the cornerstones of terrorism, and the poor who cannot get food on their table resort to other means," the king's half brother, Prince Talal bin Abdul Aziz, said at a conference in Amman, Jordan. In Kuwait, Prince Nayef bin Abdel Aziz, the interior minister, told reporters he doubted that unemployment was the reason for the attacks here, according to an account in the Arab News daily. The prince, Arab News added, noted that many arrested suspects were well-paid employees.

Saudi Arabia has a long history with terrorism, beginning when Islamic militants seized the Grand Mosque in Mecca in 1979. After that, the attacks came years apart and never became a consistent part of the fabric of life here, until May 13, 2003, when 25 people died in three coordinated suicide attacks on residential compounds here. That started a terror campaign that continues. That first attack and many that followed were attributed to Al Qaeda.

Gen. Mansour al-Turki, the Interior Ministry spokesman, said the Iraq war had spawned the attacks and added that most Saudis held that view.

Many of the attackers came back to Saudi Arabia after fighting with the Taliban in Afghanistan, he said, drawing on interviews with arrested terrorists. "They were angry that their dream," a fundamentalist Islamic state, "had been killed by America," General al-Turki said. "They wanted to spread their war against the United States and found that doing this was easier in their own country. But it wasn't until the invasion of Iraq that they could convince others in the country to share their goals. For that reason, the invasion was very important to them."

Now, the general added, "I think we are a step ahead of them."

sq764
10-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Well maybe they shouldn't have been funding Al Quaida.. Maybe we would give a shit at that point.. But here we are..

JustRalph
10-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Well maybe they shouldn't have been funding Al Quaida.. Maybe we would give a shit at that point.. But here we are..
Remember the 911 commision says they didn't fund 9-11.......here is the bait........follow...your orders Sec..........

Tom
10-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Don't you just get tired of postes that are just a copy of something else with no dialouge, no opinoion, no discussion attached?
Just a naked post to somehow "enlighten" us.
This ain't CNN, it is a discussion forum....if you can't discuss, why bother cluttering it up with crap that YOU think is important, but not enough to talk about?

ljb
10-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Tom
and your view on the topic is?

Tom
10-14-2004, 08:15 PM
I wasn't talking to you, toad.

JustRalph
10-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Sec put this thread up in conjunction with the Anti Bush Saudi ads that hit in the battleground states today. They are coordinated by Moveon.org I have been hearing them all day on the radio.

He is following his orders from the DNC and Moveon.org

sq764
10-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Wow, he got through his voting 10,000 times on all of the Moveon designated polls early today..

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Sec put this thread up in conjunction with the Anti Bush Saudi ads that hit in the battleground states today. They are coordinated by Moveon.org I have been hearing them all day on the radio.

He is following his orders from the DNC and Moveon.org

Funny how that works out, isn't it?

Maybe I should sign up somewhere. Does the RNC do the same thing?

Nice avatar by the way! Wish I had my 3d glasses!

Tom
10-14-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Funny how that works out, isn't it?

Maybe I should sign up somewhere. Does the RNC do the same thing?

PA......6 Buds and they're ALL 3-D!;)

JustRalph
10-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage

You outted me! Ok...I am gonna leave it up about another 24 hours, so if anybody has any 3d glasses.......check it out.