IRISHLADSTABLE
10-14-2004, 10:08 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/30296.htm

the little guy
10-14-2004, 10:31 AM
He will do a great job.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
How about a little more detail. Why do you think he will do a great job?

the little guy
10-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, aside from being very bright, he actually loves the game. And he loves it from the standpoint of being a regular player, something none of his predescessors understood at all. Even when he was a trustee at NYRA he sat in either the paddock or grandstand in shorts and smoking a cigar and having a beer. He brings an intelligent and fresh perspective to the job, he doesn't have allegances that will taint his perspective, and he's actually a horseplayer. When have we ever been able to say that about someone in his position?

It feels like a new approach by NYRA and one that all of us players have reason to be optomistic about.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by the little guy
He brings an intelligent and fresh perspective to the job, he doesn't have allegances that will taint his perspective, and he's actually a horseplayer. When have we ever been able to say that about someone in his position?

How about his CEO predecessor, Barry K. Schwartz? I remember strikingly similar comments when he was tabbed to be CEO.

the little guy
10-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Yes and no. While Barry lowered the takeout and would have further lowered it if not for illegal efforts by OTB to stop him and the absurd investigation by Spitzer, he was also close with Kenny Noe.

Also, it would be incorrect to liken one individual with the other. This is not meant as a criticism in any way of either man, but they are vastly different.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2004, 09:53 PM
I was thinking more along the lines that Barry is also a horseplayer and owner.

the little guy
10-14-2004, 10:00 PM
When I say Charlie is a horseplayer, and certainly Barry liked to bet, I say he is more like one of us. He hangs out in the Grandstand with a cigar and a beer while wearing shorts. I don't believe Barry ever partook in any of the three, at least in public.

TravisVOX
10-15-2004, 12:12 AM
I live in New York, as I'm sure many others do on here as well. Therefore, I'm able to pick up on the ins and outs of the shenanigans. They've subsided since Saratoga... that meet always alleviates concerns and pains. However, Smith declining the job was a blow. Can't blame him, the state of the organization had a giant question mark....

I think NYRA is going to stay around. I wish Bruno's (Senator) son wasn't a lobbyist for Magna... and Bruno, a constant supporter suddenly turned the corner towards the opposition this summer. That's a concern.

NYRA goes down the crapper if Magna comes in... what have they done for others?????? It's obvious. I'd take Churchill Downs before Stronach.... I just don't understand his obsession. Does he want to monopolize racing??

It goes without saying that NYRA puts out the overall, let me emphasize, OVERALL, best product. Solid stakes program, good racing, facilities that are adequate, contests, relations etc. Sure, so does Churchill Downs... but they go x months a year... NYRA needs to maintain its product year round and overall, considering the complexity of the matter, they do okay. I can't see Magna doing positive things... look at Maryland.

It's a big issue with the regulars of racing in NY, it occupies our OTB channel with topics and call-ins.... we're on pins and needles to see what happens. It's good to see a 'racing guy' come in... who knows what happens in the future.

andicap
10-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
How about his CEO predecessor, Barry K. Schwartz? I remember strikingly similar comments when he was tabbed to be CEO.

Its my understanding Hayward is replacing Terry Meyocks, not Barry Schwartz. Schwartz is CHAIRMAN of the NYRA board. Hayward was named president of NYRA.

the little guy
10-15-2004, 10:14 AM
That's true, Andicap. I thought I said that somewhere, but I must have taken it out before posting it.

PaceAdvantage
10-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Actually, Barry is Chairman AND CEO, and Mr. Hayward would become the new CEO AND President of NYRA, so he is replacing Barry as CEO.

Suff
10-15-2004, 02:45 PM
I wish him well, and as a Strong NYRA supporter I want the best for the Orginization , The Horseman and the betting Public.

However, my intial reaction was

1. Jesus, Racing is more in-bred than a Royal Family. Do these Guys ever go outside a small circle of Cronies?

2. He's a Fill in. I think they've resigned themsleves to the fact that they will not get thier Franchise renewed. They could'nt get a serious CEO with a strong Mandate for change to step in. Because they could'nt tell him or her that they'd have a Job in 18 months. I think thats why Smith bailed out. The Ship is sinking.

I hope I'm wrong but those were my Gut thoughts when I read it.

Equineer
10-16-2004, 06:11 AM
While the TVG deal and Meycocks' replacement may get mixed reviews, considering all the political irons in the fire, progress forging through the Getnick & Getnick checklist of to-do items (under difficult conditions) is what all NYRA fans should support. 2007 will be here soon enough, and your worst fears will come true if compromises and decisions get stymied until then.

Figman
10-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Is Mr. Hayward as Opinionated as Barry?
http://www2.als.edu/glc/wagering/barryquotes.pdf

takeout
10-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Let me ask a hypothetical. If Magna taking over the franchise is the worst possible thing that could happen, is there any outfit out there (CD? TVG?) that would be considered a good thing if they took it over?

Equineer
10-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by takeout
Let me ask a hypothetical. If Magna taking over the franchise is the worst possible thing that could happen, is there any outfit out there (CD? TVG?) that would be considered a good thing if they took it over? French Government? They really do know how to run and maintain nice public facilities. :)

takeout
10-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Hopefully, if/when the time comes, they’ll make a bid. :D

Seriously though, is the thinking up there that a takeover by anyone is a terrible thing or is it just if it’s by Magna?

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Why should NYRA not retain its franchise? Oh, wait a minute...I guess putting on the best racing in the country year after year isn't their main job....

OK then, I guess someone else should get the franchise....DUH!

WAKE UP FOLKS. There is no sane reason why NYRA shouldn't get their franchise renewed, except for BS political reasons. Any mistakes NYRA has made, it's been more than punished for, as have the people actually RESPONSIBLE for screwing up.

So, I guess we'll just throw the baby out with the bathwater....

Makes no sense to me, but this world often resembles BIZARRO WORLD the more time marches on.

takeout
10-17-2004, 12:41 AM
I’ll take that as a yes. :D

the little guy
10-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Why should NYRA not retain its franchise? Oh, wait a minute...I guess putting on the best racing in the country year after year isn't their main job....

OK then, I guess someone else should get the franchise....DUH!

WAKE UP FOLKS. There is no sane reason why NYRA shouldn't get their franchise renewed, except for BS political reasons. Any mistakes NYRA has made, it's been more than punished for, as have the people actually RESPONSIBLE for screwing up.

So, I guess we'll just throw the baby out with the bathwater....

Makes no sense to me, but this world often resembles BIZARRO WORLD the more time marches on. I couldn't agree more.