PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Speaker Drivers

sq764
10-11-2004, 09:47 PM
I had to reload XP on my HP Pavilion.. I have Harman/Kardon speakers and cannot seem to get them working again. I do not have any driver disks for them and I cannot remember how I reinstalled them before..

I went on HP's site and they did not have a driver for this model of speakers, nor did I find anything on the Harman/Kardon website.. (the model # is SP05A04)..

Any thoughts??

JustRalph
10-11-2004, 10:05 PM
what model hp? Did you run a recovery from the hard drive or did you just install xp from a disk? you normally don't need a driver for the "speakers" you need one for the sound card.......fill me in

sq764
10-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Model: HP Pavilion 775Y

I reloaded XP from disk.. Fresh copy..

JustRalph
10-11-2004, 10:54 PM
sq

I believe the driver you need is on this page

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

3rd one down

your system has the ac97 realtek 650 chipset for sound.

Did you run the Intel 845 Chipset driver immediatly after installing winxp? Prior to loading any hardware drivers? On most systems you are required to, or it won't detect the hardware correctly and will run slow...........I am not completely sure about that board...xp might do it for you......but I doubt it.........

One more question..........why didn't you run the recovery utility from HP?

Buddha
10-11-2004, 11:35 PM
I have noticed that problem with a lot of HP pcs. I will reformat a pc, and the sound drivers won't be there. Never had it happen as much as I had with HP pcs.

GameTheory
10-12-2004, 09:25 AM
If you reinstalled the OS, it is probably more than just the sound drivers you will be missing. (Or you will be using sub-optimal versions provided by the OS.) Usually there should be a driver CD that came with the computer to install all the motherboard stuff, no? When I build 'em from scratch, there are always IDE drivers, sound drivers, etc on the motherboard CD. Then there are often special video drivers, etc that come with each card...

sq764
10-12-2004, 09:45 AM
JR, your link worked.. Downloaded the driver, restarted, bingo..

Thank you all for your responses!

JustRalph
10-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by sq764
JR, your link worked.. Downloaded the driver, restarted, bingo..

Thank you all for your responses!

Another small victory in the war on machines.........;)

sq764
10-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Yeah, even though it's laughing at me knowing I had to reload XP

Equineer
10-12-2004, 06:12 PM
This recovery procedure requires a one-time preparation setup (less than an hour):
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14842

However, if your hard drive is functional, this procedure circumvents/encompasses most problems that send PCs to hardware/software repair shops.

For most folks, re-installing XP from CDs is the tip of the iceburg compared with the follow-up work... the hassle of restoring applications and data.