PDA

View Full Version : New NYRA MSW Conditions

Tom
08-29-2019, 10:09 PM
Maggie was talking about this today - what is the deal?
I see some notes:

(Non-Starters For A Claiming Price Of $40,000 Or Less In The Last 3 Starts Preferred).

This, I thought she said, was a lower class than regular MSW.
If I heard it right. I am not clear how that can be? This reads horses who have not run for a claiming tag of $40K or less. All I can see different is it tightens the conditions, not lessens them.

What am I missing here?

cj
08-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Maggie was talking about this today - what is the deal?
I see some notes:

(Non-Starters For A Claiming Price Of $40,000 Or Less In The Last 3 Starts Preferred).

This, I thought she said, was a lower class than regular MSW.
If I heard it right. I am not clear how that can be? This reads horses who have not run for a claiming tag of $40K or less. All I can see different is it tightens the conditions, not lessens them.

What am I missing here?

They are running MSWs for horses that had a sale price (or RNAed) for 40k or less. Kind of keeps the blue bloods away. Didn't SoCal do something similar in the past

cj
08-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Here is an example from SoCal, no idea if they still write these:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?RACE=6&BorP=P&TID=SA&CTRY=USA&DT=01/01/2018&DAY=D&STYLE=EQB

This is from the current meet at Saratoga:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?RACE=5&BorP=P&TID=SAR&CTRY=USA&DT=07/31/2019&DAY=D&STYLE=EQB

They are definitely weaker races and probably should have a different designation IMO than straight MSW.

AndyC
08-30-2019, 01:56 PM
They are running MSWs for horses that had a sale price (or RNAed) for 40k or less. Kind of keeps the blue bloods away. Didn't SoCal do something similar in the past

I think those races are different than the one Tom referred to. One keeps the blue bloods away and the other keeps the cheap horses away.

cj
08-30-2019, 02:19 PM
I think those races are different than the one Tom referred to. One keeps the blue bloods away and the other keeps the cheap horses away.

I'm pretty sure Maggie was talking about the races I'm mentioning, but maybe Tom didn't catch it all and thought she was talking about the 1st today?

Tom: This, I thought she said, was a lower class than regular MSW.

The ones I mention are definitely lower class. Also, what Tom mentions definitely aren't new.

Tom
08-30-2019, 04:20 PM
I had it backwards - thanks guys!
Gotta make sure I have by DB entered right.

AndyC
08-30-2019, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Maggie was talking about the races I'm mentioning, but maybe Tom didn't catch it all and thought she was talking about the 1st today?

The ones I mention are definitely lower class. Also, what Tom mentions definitely aren't new.

I was just commenting about: (Non-Starters For A Claiming Price Of $40,000 Or Less In The Last 3 Starts Preferred)

cj
08-30-2019, 05:12 PM
I was just commenting about: (Non-Starters For A Claiming Price Of $40,000 Or Less In The Last 3 Starts Preferred)

I get it, but as I suspected, don't think that is what Tom was referring to in his post.

As for your DB Tom, the easy way to tell at Saratoga is by the purse, they are lower for the restricted MSWs.

Tom
08-30-2019, 05:25 PM
I was just looking up some charts to see if that was true.
Thanks.

I had only noticed the one statement in the conditions. When I saw MSW, I only looked at SB or sex/age and never really read them carefully.

Shame on me.

classhandicapper
09-01-2019, 09:55 AM
I get it, but as I suspected, don't think that is what Tom was referring to in his post.

As for your DB Tom, the easy way to tell at Saratoga is by the purse, they are lower for the restricted MSWs.

It will be interesting to see what the purses look like at AQU and BEL. The cheaper ones at SAR may be higher than the good ones in the winter or even at BEL. Of course at AQU that may reflect the quality correctly anyway. IMO Equibase should some provide some kind of symbol for the PPs anyway. They are different.

rastajenk
09-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Too many symbols and too much information already. Scale it back, so that those willing to do the extra work might still be able to have an edge, however small it is these days.

Not to mention it could make it easier for infrequent players to get a grasp on things.

Tom
09-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Putting the purse vale inthe PPs would be a good idea.
Nothing elaborate, just "50"for $50,000, "250" for $250,000.

If anything, DRF is rather LACKING in information, compared to BRIS.

classhandicapper
09-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Putting the purse vale inthe PPs would be a good idea.
Nothing elaborate, just "50"for $50,000, "250" for $250,000.

If anything, DRF is rather LACKING in information, compared to BRIS.

I can tell you with certainty that one of the problems in the print edition is finding space. I heard that discussion numerous times.

There are things in the PPs I think are useless (like the DRF speed rating and track variant) but there are other people that use those things that will scream bloody murder if they are removed. There are things in there that help me that other people don’t look at.

IMO, the best idea is to make as many things as possible an option in the Formulator version so you can customize your own PPs. I would even make the Beyer figures an option. There are times I’d prefer to analyze a field before I see how fast the race was so the speed figure doesn’t influence my own thinking before watch the race and look at who was in the field. Then after that I might want to flip the figures on to clarify my view.

classhandicapper
09-01-2019, 12:20 PM
There’s an R in the PPs for restricted

ubercapper
09-03-2019, 03:58 PM
It will be interesting to see what the purses look like at AQU and BEL. The cheaper ones at SAR may be higher than the good ones in the winter or even at BEL. Of course at AQU that may reflect the quality correctly anyway. IMO Equibase should some provide some kind of symbol for the PPs anyway. They are different.

It is my understanding these are "restricted races" and Equibase and downstream customers will get that information. Whether they use it to display in the PP lines I can't say.

I haven't looked at any PPs for horses which have run back since that 7/31 race CJ noted but insofar as Equibase and STATS Race Lens PPs, those PP lines should have the "R" in a square to the left of MSW in those lines.

Still, if anyone sees pp lines for a horse which ran in one of these types of races at Saratoga and does not see the R next to MSW in Equibase PPs please send me a PM and I'll look into it some more.

AltonKelsey
09-03-2019, 04:51 PM
No reason they can't offer this. Could charge a little extra for a fully customizable PP, where you could add all kinds of data to the line(s) .

The computer power needed is not high, and they might make a little money off it.

I can tell you with certainty that one of the problems in the print edition is finding space. I heard that discussion numerous times.

There are things in the PPs I think are useless (like the DRF speed rating and track variant) but there are other people that use those things that will scream bloody murder if they are removed. There are things in there that help me that other people don’t look at.

IMO, the best idea is to make as many things as possible an option in the Formulator version so you can customize your own PPs. I would even make the Beyer figures an option. There are times I’d prefer to analyze a field before I see how fast the race was so the speed figure doesn’t influence my own thinking before watch the race and look at who was in the field. Then after that I might want to flip the figures on to clarify my view.

cj
09-03-2019, 05:20 PM
No reason they can't offer this. Could charge a little extra for a fully customizable PP, where you could add all kinds of data to the line(s) .

The computer power needed is not high, and they might make a little money off it.

This is exactly what I did with my old PaceFigures program. Users could choose whether or not to display nearly every field of data and format many how they liked to see them.

The_Turf_Monster
09-03-2019, 05:36 PM

I wonder if Runhappy would sponsor it

Tom
09-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Bel today, R5, :5: shows the R in the MdSpWt 75k