PDA

View Full Version : FOR SALE: THE MASTER HANDICAPPER

jackad
10-11-2004, 09:34 AM
THE MASTER HANDICAPPER "A State-of-the-Art Computer Program for Investing at the Racetrack" by Eric Langjahr and Michael Pizzola With Dick Schmidt.
Complete package including 150-page manual, four audiotapes by Michael Pizzola, hardware lock, original binder ...$249

jackad2000@yahoo.com

andicap
10-11-2004, 01:08 PM
and why are you selling??????? did it not work for you..??

jackad
10-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Pizzola's approach is very much based on value betting, using the program's Master Oddsmaker as your guide. This requires watching the toteboad to find the great overlays the program can often identify and passing many races. All of which I no longer have the patience for.

BTW, this program also gives you the Pizzola/Langjahr Master Pace Rating, Primary Pace Rating, Early/Late Balanced Pace Rating, and Late Fraction Rating for each horse in the race. Pacelines can be selected automatically by the program's Expert Selector, acording to your instructions, or you can roll your own. The program's Handicapper's Advisor ranks each race for certainty/uncertainty, offers suggestions for exactas, and identifies longshot possibilities to consider.

Jack

jackad
10-11-2004, 05:06 PM
TO ALL:
Please note that this program has now been sold, pending payment.

Thanks for your interest.

Jack

First_Place
10-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Not your cup o' tea. I can understand that. I'm a big Mike Pizzolla fan. Many of his insights have helped me to really improve my handicapping and I'll be forever grateful for that.

I still do my handicapping the old fashioned way via pen, paper and calculator. Very laborious at times. I've yet to purchase any computer program to assist me in handicapping (i.e., do the numbers crunching) the races. Mike's program with the Value Tech module is one of the few that I've fantasized about owning the day that I finally decide to automate my handicapping.

My decision is partly based upon several positive comments I've read from successful users of the program, especially a fellow who posts on this messageboard using the pseudonym Blackgold.

What I'd like to know is, did you make any 'real' money with it? I can understand you wanting more 'action.' That's why you should have two bankrolls. One for the "value" races and the other one for the "crap" races, like one handicapping Guru once put it.

FP

Blackgold
10-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Ah, New Jersey. . . have found memories of sitting at Garden State and driving over to Phila. Park. . . anyway, I digress. . .

Just as important as the software is for speeding up handicapping time and allowing one to quickly scan numerous cards for Value. . . you also get the training tapes and seminar tapes. When you see and hear MP do the "process", when you hear how the numbers are derived, when you see winning in action. . . well, you learn how to apply the software- especially in various situations.

Plus, MP's explanation of exotic plays provide a big edge for those of us that "fish in deep water."

First Place, I earned back my first software purchase the Sat. after I received it by nailing the San Juan Cap. at SA when Eddie D. brought a deep closing longshot up to win that turf event. Hit a big quinella and tri also.

And everytime I purchase another software update or seminar tape series- I immediately find a way to earn my purchase price back in a short period of time.

I was a pen and paper guy when I lived in Jersey and used Pace Makes The Race to make my figs. Helped me dope out Go For Gin in the Derby over 10 years ago.

Your pen and paper method gives you a good solid foundation for the information you can quickly scan by using software.

Good Luck First Place. . . and good luck on Jersey rolling out those first simocast facilities and telephone betting!

First_Place
10-14-2004, 10:56 PM
You're a former Joisey (like New Yawkers say it) resident--the once-Garden State? :-) Just curious, wherabouts?

Yes, Blackgold, I look forward to soon purchasing Michael's Handicapping Genius™ Mega Package that his company sells. I'm especially anxious to see Mike & Eric (RIP my friend) in action live on videotape.

"First Place, I earned back my first software purchase the Sat. after I received it by nailing the San Juan Cap. at SA when Eddie D. brought a deep closing longshot up to win that turf event. Hit a big quinella and tri also."

Congrats. Money very well spent.

"Good Luck First Place. . . and good luck on Jersey rolling out those first simocast facilities and telephone betting!"

Yeah, Blackgold, I'm still waiting. Til then I have to make a 50+ mile round trip from my home in central Jersey to the closest simulcasting center at Freehold Raceway (a harness track) to place my bets.

Btw, maybe you can clear this up. In chapter six, Form Cycle Windows, page 151 where Michael gives you the various "excuses" to go past a paceline, I could never understand why you'd want to go past numbers 9 and 10 on the list which state, respectively:

9. Some degree of early speed exhibited. This is powerful. Anything less than 3 lengths in the first two calls.

10. A move of several lengths between two calls, or a rally from the back of the pack to a more forward position (Entire systems have been based around 9 and 10)

As far as excuse #9 is concerned, if I see that the horse exhibited early speed for the first two calls then gradually faded out of contention, I usually will excuse this paceline and go back one. Especially if he's coming off an layoff. But if the horse finished up-close, or in the money why'd you want to use that line as an excuse? Also, what if the horse is an Early horse?

And #10, why would you want to go past that paceline, especially if the horse won or finished in the money?

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

FP

Blackgold
10-16-2004, 07:06 PM
I lived for several years in the early 90's in Moorestown, NJ (not Morristown where the moving van took my stuff). Just a few minute ride from Garden State.

First Place, from the depth of your questions about form cycle windows, I can tell that you know more than me about MPs methods.

When I initially read the book, I did so because I read everything about handicapping I can get my hands on. And from his book, I only used the PPF because I was betting mainly turf events at the time.

When the software came out I bought the book and actually started to try and understand how the numbers are put together.

You know more than I do on that subject and I suggest you get the software so you can do as I do- quickly scan numerous cards and find Value and go for the throat.

Good luck!

First_Place
10-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Yep, I know where that is, in fact I've been through there a couple of times many moons ago.

I'm disappointed that you don't know the answer to my questions. Of course, with the software the Form Cycle window decisions are handled automatically in either the LAAST or two-excuse mode. What a time saver.

Yes, the complete HM course is on my "what to buy next list." Til then, I'll have to do the calculations the old fashioned way.

Well, since Blackgold can't answer my questions, are there any Handicapping Magicians out there that can?

FP

cato
10-18-2004, 04:24 AM
First place--

You've basically answered your own questions in your post but I'll try anyway.

It sounds like your main question is why go past these two types of races--especially if that race was a good?

The answer is you don't have to -- no requirement-- just a guidline. (Although the program may automatically go past it, you can go back and manually change the pace line so that it does not go past the line in question.

I believe that the book points out that both of these scenarios are signs of improvement and that a better race may be on the way; which is an excuse to go beyond that race to find another race that may more accurately measure the horse's ability.

I believe that MP woudl say #9 is especially importanat if the early speed has not been shown lately or is a 2d or 3rd after layoff. And that an early speed horse is always dangerous etc. But if the horse always flashes early speed then it does not necessarily make sesnse to use that as an excuse to go back farther.

#10--which is a "move of several lengths between two calls, or a rally from the back of the pack to a more forward position"
is, likewise, thought of as a sign of an improvement and better form.

In both cases the point is not whether the race in question was good or bad is not the point but that it is a sign of improving form and that a better race is on the way. Of course, if the race in question is one of the horse's best then it does not make a great deal of sense to go back...but in that case the point is moot anyway-since the race in question was the best or one of the best, going back won't make a difference or much difference anyway.

Cato

First_Place
10-18-2004, 05:38 AM
Cato,

Thanks for clearing things up. I appreciate it.

FP