PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Derby

gillenr
03-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Maybe the BC Juv winner will be a legitimate contender. This year's BC Juv races at 9F.

cj
03-15-2002, 06:12 PM
Good to hear...I didn't think they would run GR I races at that goofy *8.5 distance AP cards every now and then with the 1:17 and change for 3/4!

CJ

Observer
03-16-2002, 12:28 AM
Whenever it happens, you can be sure everyone is going to make a big deal out of it. I personally would find it amusing if Johannesburg became the first BC Juvenile winner to take the Kentucky Derby. And with the way our American horses are shaping up, there's no reason why the talented, well-traveled, unbeaten European couldn't come back and steal another race from us!

But, the way things are going, the Johannesburg camp does seem to be taking a very unique approach, if they even are seriously considering making the trip to the Kentucky Derby. I hope they do.

I might be getting ahead of myself .. okay, I'm definitely getting ahead of myself .. but what would they do if they came here and won the Derby? Would they skip the rest of the Triple Crown and head back to Europe?? Tabor's already won 2/3s of the Triple Crown, when Thunder Gulch swept to victories in the Derby and Belmont .. but would he be willing to keep this one in the U.S. for the Triple Crown test??

charleslanger
03-16-2002, 02:41 AM
sprint should go to 6.5 or 7 furlongs, older fillymare race to 9.5 or 10 furlongs.

anotherdave
03-16-2002, 10:28 AM
I have to disagree with you on the sprint. A classic sprint is 6f to me. (just like the classic sprint at the Olympics is 100 meters) Could this be because Squirtle Squirt was my only winner last year?

7 furlongs is a sproute to me. Don't get me wrong, I'd enjoy a 6.5 or 7 furlong race at the Breeders. There is 1 sprint race in 8 there. I know the class races are routes, but I love a great sprint and I think since the majority of races run are sprints, it would be nice to have another one at the Breeders. Call me weird, but the sprint is often my favourite race to handicap and watch at the Cup.

AD

gillenr
03-16-2002, 11:49 AM
How 'bout a turf sprint?

Observer
03-16-2002, 05:25 PM
Funny thing is how much emphasis breeders put on winning a race like the Met Mile, because "milers make the best stallions" as many have said, yet the only mile race on Breeders' Cup day is on the turf!

I also believe six furlongs is the classic sprint distance, but maybe having a mile on dirt would give more horses a nice option. Afterall, what are those milers supposed to do?? Attempt turf? Cut back to six furlongs? Stretch out to 10 furlongs? It just ain't right! :D

The turf sprint idea is also a nice one. With some obvious omissions, why couldn't the Breeders' Cup simply expand to a normal race card to bring these races in? I think it would lead to a much more rounded day where everyone can be involved without feeling as if they have made major sacrifices in their horses running styles and abilities by forcing their way into some conditions that just don't fit.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2002, 11:36 PM
Absolutely no good reason to change the sprint distance. 6f is the classic American sprint distance...

What they should do is eliminate the 1 mile turf race and replace it with a 1 mile dirt race....

==PA

Observer
03-16-2002, 11:58 PM
Sorry, PA, I don't agree with you on the mile turf. They definitely should not eliminate that. No fair just having a 1 1/2-mile turf race for all those turf runners .. there have been tons of quality turf horses that couldn't get that distance, but were super effective going shorter.

anotherdave
03-17-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Absolutely no good reason to change the sprint distance. 6f is the classic American sprint distance...

What they should do is eliminate the 1 mile turf race and replace it with a 1 mile dirt race....

==PA

PA

I agree 100%. The mile on the dirt is classic. I remember two times by heart. Dr. Fager 132 1/5 (132 pounds), Secretariat 224 flat. Unbelievable.

AD

Observer
03-17-2002, 12:43 AM
Why not keep the mile on turf but add one on dirt? Otherwise, switch the mile to dirt, add a turf sprint, and convert the turf mile to maybe 8.5 furlongs or 9 furlongs. Turf horses, just like sprinters and fillies and mares don't have the same opportunities as the males who can handle the classic distances. Racing needs to broaden the scope and level the divisions so horses aren't considered to be lesser simply because they excel at something other than routing against the best males in the game.