PDA

View Full Version : Hallowed Dreams

Observer
03-15-2002, 04:01 PM
Seems she passed on Saturday's Victoria Lass at Fair Grounds because of a slight bout with colic. Hopefully she recovers soon. This filly is so much fun to watch. Don't think this is the first time she's suffered from colic, unfortunately. Colic is just one of those things that tends to plague certain horses more than others.

cj
03-15-2002, 06:15 PM
She has been in declining form for quite a while now, her pace and final figures steadily dropping to those she ran as a 2yo...very rarely, if ever, do horses like this return to top form. I think Romero missed the boat runnning for cheap purses when this horse was at her best.

CJ

Observer
03-16-2002, 12:46 AM
Maybe he did miss the boat, but it's hard to argue that this filly doesn't/didn't have talent. Everything was there suggesting she was among the best female sprinters in the country .. can't say how she would have stacked up against Xtra Heat though on their best days .. the only thing that was lacking, was the competition.

Sadly for some, they need names in the field or a grade on a race to determine if a horse merits respect. Funny thing is, these same people who want to see horses like Hallowed Dreams competing in graded stakes races are often the same people who complain about fields coming up weak for the given grade, like a "Grade I" race not attracted a "Grade I field." When will we ever see the day when horses earn respect simply for their accomplishments and achievements? My guess would be never. :rolleyes:

As for Hallowed Dreams having declined .. I'd say it's okay if she really is past her prime. How can anyone complain about a horse like her?? She did nearly every single thing they asked of her. Her connections are who chose to keep her home, not her. Yet it's Hallowed Dreams who's looked down upon for having not faced the "tougher" competition.

Everyone loses a step or two as they get older .. each and every one of us. We've seen many great champions tail off by the end of their careers, why should Hallowed Dreams be an exception?

charleslanger
03-16-2002, 02:38 AM
she's not old enough to have declining figures, her figures should still be improving and leading to career highs according to her age--that is, if you believe she hasn't been overraced.

Observer
03-16-2002, 05:13 PM
I personally don't feel you can generalize form based on a horse's age. Hallowed Dreams began her career on a winning note at age 2 in May 1999 and didn't taste defeat until her 17th trip to the post, on Aug. 12, 2000. She then won her next seven starts before losing again, but once again rebounded with a pair of wins. Since, she has suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time in her career, which brings us up to date on this now 5-yeear-old mare.

To expect a horse like this, who accomplished so much from age 2 to 4, to just be hitting her top now at age 5 is expecting too much. Rarely do we even see horses do what Hallowed Dreams has done, regardless of competition, and those who do show talent in their early years, and are eligible for the breeding shed, hardly ever stay on the track for a 5-year-old campaign.

Horses need to be looked at as individuals, and not lumped into a category of when they should be doing what. Some horses take years to develop into their best, like John Henry, who had his champion seasons when most horses have already been retired for several years, and Cigar didn't become a sensation until age 5. Yet other horses, like Favorite Trick and City Zip are sensationally precocious as juveniles. They all develop at their own rate.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2002, 11:34 PM
You know, I was under the false impression that Hallowed Dreams was the same age as Xtra Heat. I should have known HD was a 5yo...

==PA

ranchwest
03-17-2002, 12:18 AM
With each trip to the turf, Hallowed Dreams' return to the dirt was a performance less than her previous performances would hint.