PDA

View Full Version : 80's Songs I need them badly. I am feeling gay.

Derek2U
10-10-2004, 04:21 PM
David Bowie ... Let's Dance
Human League .... Don't you want me baby?
Cameo ... Word Up. (just great)
Soft Cell .... Tainted Love

I love rap & hip hop & punk and this 80's stuff i F'N brilliant.

Do you guys like the 80's stuff?

Zaf
10-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Just tune to WPLJ and you will get your fair share.

ZAFONIC

KirisClown
10-10-2004, 06:10 PM
80's songs are the best... I have a ton of CDs...

sq764
10-10-2004, 09:06 PM
The title and author of this thread sure explains a lot, in hindsight..

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by zafonic
Just tune to WPLJ and you will get your fair share.

ZAFONIC

Zafonic,
Wake up every day to WPLJ. The Scott and Todd Show

My son Jimmy Jr loves the 80's also.

His favorite is The Late Robert Palmer

Jimmy

Bubbles
10-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by sq764
The title and author of this thread sure explains a lot, in hindsight..

While I agree with SQ to a certain degree, 80's music IS cool. Particularly like Bon Jovi, but am into a bunch of other stuff (Some Phil Collins, Def Leppard, etc.).

Zaf
10-10-2004, 11:07 PM
80's music is great , when it comes on the radio thats cool.

But lately I'm into Radiohead , Leonard Cohen, GNR , and the Moody Blues (in search of the Lost Chord).

ZAFONIC

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-10-2004, 11:09 PM
So busy telling you about Jimmy Jr didnt tell you my favorite

Give me a Fleetwood Mac tune anyday.

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham are the greatest

Jimmy

RXB
10-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Most of the '80s music that I loved rarely got played on the radio or the video stations. Husker Du, The Jesus & Mary Chain, the Pixies, the Replacements, et al.

Bubbles
10-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by zafonic
...and the Moody Blues (in search of the Lost Chord).

ZAFONIC

Saw them at Proctor's Theatre in Albany a few years ago. Good show, but when they went into "The Story In Your Eyes," the two guitarists almost fell off the stage while doing the solo.

Classic stuff from a good band.

kingfin66
10-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by RXB
Most of the '80s music that I loved rarely got played on the radio or the video stations. Husker Du, The Jesus & Mary Chain, the Pixies, the Replacements, et al.

RXB,

You have good taste. 'Nuff said.

Dan
10-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Bubbles
Saw them at Proctor's Theatre in Albany a few years ago. Good show, but when they went into "The Story In Your Eyes," the two guitarists almost fell off the stage while doing the solo.

Classic stuff from a good band.

We saw the Moody Blues at the Fox in St. Louis in the early 90's and they were great. Best concert we ever saw was about a month before when we saw 'Yes' during their Reunion Tour. All members that were ever in the band. Two guitarists, two drummers, two keyboardists, etc.

This will date me but my all time best goes back into the late 60's and 70's:

1. King Crimson - (Robert Fripp has got to be the best guitarist ever) They are still making music and touring.
2. Jethro Tull
3. Yes
4. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
5. John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra
6. Zepplein
7. Hendrix
8. Stevie Ray
9. Traffic/Blind Faith/Winwood/Clapton
10. Moody's

:) BL

"I'm a dinosaur, someone is digging my bones..."

kenwoodallpromos
10-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Grandmaster Flash; Joe Jackson; Bootsy Collins; Exile.

Tom
10-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Derek, feeling gay?

Go to Boston....they can help you.;)

Saw the Moody Blues in person in an outdoor concert at the community college here - grat band, but funny how you guys a calling them a great 80's band....I always think of them as a great 60's band!

Tuesday Afternnon, Question, Nights in White Satin...great stuff.

I saw Tull a couple of times - unbelievaable live band - that flute player was amazing.

Dan
10-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Tom,

Yes, I agree the late 60's to the 70's Bands were great. But then again I guess I'm getting old. The first seven albums of the Moody Blues are classics. Their later stuff was like old guys trying to rock and roll.

One of the best Jethro Tull albums besides Aqualung was an album called 'Benefit'.

Check out some 80's/90's King Crimson albums like 'Three of a Perfect Pair' and 'Discipline'. Unbelievable.

Isn't it going to be interesting when we get into our 60's or 70's (years of age). Like our parent's generation were always playing Glen Miller, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, which are all great.

But in my old age I'll have Hendrix, Zepplein, Crimson, Tull, Yes, ELP, the Stones, Skynrd, etc. cranked up on the old stereo as I shuffle around the house with my walker.

BL

:)

Zaf
10-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Derek, feeling gay?

Go to Boston....they can help you.;)

Saw the Moody Blues in person in an outdoor concert at the community college here - grat band, but funny how you guys a calling them a great 80's band....I always think of them as a great 60's band!

Tuesday Afternnon, Question, Nights in White Satin...great stuff.

I saw Tull a couple of times - unbelievaable live band - that flute player was amazing.

In Search of the Lost Chord is awesome, I have been listening to it for years. Its one of the few albums that never tires on me.

ZAFONIC

BillW
10-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Tom

... Ian Anderson. :cool:

Gotta love the exacting riffs of David Gilmore (although I've got to say I was never afflicted with bouts of gender confusion :eek: )

Tom
10-11-2004, 11:22 PM
King Crimson...In the Court of the Crimson King - could only be listened to at full volume (until Dad came knockin' on my door!) hehehe.

Ian...thanks, Bill. Awsome copncert wtih that guy.

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-11-2004, 11:30 PM
http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/artistFocus.asp?artistID=1014343

superfecta
10-12-2004, 12:47 AM
Man i can't stand that freakin flute,it just doesn't do it for me.
Pink Floyd,KISS,Cheap Trick are some of the bands that came into the 80s and still prospered.I still go see the trick when they come to town because it never is the same show,playing just the hits,they mix up the set,usually don't play many of the songs you know unless you are really into their music.
Several years ago I went to see them and in the middle of the set(and song ) the bass player jumps off the stage and pukes,then runs to the bathroom.But he came back and finished the show,not missing a beat.
I grew up with the Hair bands in high school and satellite radio is about the only place you can get alot of that music around here.
Best shows in the 80s(that I saw):

Triumph
Kiss
Warrant
Motley Crue

saw others but they sucked compared to the Album (bon jovi and Aerosmith comes to mind )but i still like the music.Wow, Derek comes up with a interesting thread.Bout time

IF ITS TOO LOUD YOUR TOO OLD:p

Dan
10-12-2004, 12:41 PM
That's great there are other Tull and Crimson fans on here.

Did anyone ever get into Frank Zappa? Of course you must be in the right state of mind to appreciate his music like:

"Don't Eat The Yellow Snow"
-----------------------------------
Well I turned around and I said "Ho, Ho"
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"

"Penquin In Bondage"
----------------------------
She's just like a penguin in Bondage, boy
Oh yeah, Oh yeah, Oh...
Rennenhenninnahenninnenninahennn
Way over on the wet side
Of the bed.

"Of all the things I've lost.... I think I miss my mind the most."

Valuist
10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Hard to believe Tony Iommi was with Tull for about a month in the late 60s. Imagine songs like Bungle in the Jungle with a dark, dreary sound.

OTM Al
10-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Ah, 80s music. REM, the Cure, U2 (before they became full of it), New Order, The Police. Loved that stuff. The decade when pop finally caught up to David Bowie, yet he remained cool. The hair bands humored me, especially Motley Crue and Poison, but they just seemed silly in the face of good metal...and then there was the defining band of the 80's. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Spinal Tap!

Tom
10-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Ah yes, Frank Zappa and the Mothers.

"Who would imagine,
That they'd freak out in Kansas?
Kansas, Kansas, Kansas."

Zaf
10-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by buddy_love
That's great there are other Tull and Crimson fans on here.

Did anyone ever get into Frank Zappa? Of course you must be in the right state of mind to appreciate his music like:

"Don't Eat The Yellow Snow"
-----------------------------------
Well I turned around and I said "Ho, Ho"
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye

"Penquin In Bondage"
----------------------------
She's just like a penguin in Bondage, boy
Oh yeah, Oh yeah, Oh...
Rennenhenninnahenninnenninahennn
Way over on the wet side
Of the bed.

"Of all the things I've lost.... I think I miss my mind the most."

I have at least 20 Zappa's Albums laying around somewhere.

ZAFONIC

Dan
10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Zafonic and Tom,

Years ago I had the original 'Zappa Takes A Crappa' poster. Lost it along the way.

"Suzy Creamcheese, Oh, mama, now
What's got into ya?"

Zaf
10-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Another band from LA, Filmore East Live, Freakin Classics !!!

ZAFONIC