PDA

View Full Version : length values for velocity figs

andicap
10-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Roughly speaking, how much is a length worth in 1st call and EP in routes?
I know it's a range that gets lower as the distances lengthen.

For example in sprints at first call I think a length is roughly. 0.50 velocity points. I emphasize roughly.and in EP in sprints, I thought a length was about.20-.25 or so.

Tom
10-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Depends what you call a length. 8 feet, 10 feet, something else?
There was a long thread that got into this a while ago. I saved it to my PA's Greatest Hits book I might write someday and I'll see if I can find it. Try a search on "value beaten length"

Tom
10-10-2004, 10:30 AM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12319&highlight=value+beaten+length

cosmicway
10-10-2004, 11:12 AM
We take it as 0.20 sec flat in Greece.
You have to be within 2 lengths = 0.40 sec to be eligible to call for stewards enquiry.

chickenhead
10-10-2004, 12:59 PM
brohammer had these in his book for ballpark, first number is furlongs into the race...other number is fps deduction per beaten length at that distance...

2 -- 0.53
2.5 -- 0.33
3 -- 0.28
4 -- 0.25
6 -- 0.15

cosmicway
10-10-2004, 01:43 PM
what's the point of converting everything to lengths and not simply write down the seconds ?

chickenhead
10-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by cosmicway
what's the point of converting everything to lengths and not simply write down the seconds ?

what are you referencing?

kenwoodallpromos
10-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I agree.
sprints= .14 seconds.
routes= .16 seconds.

cosmicway
10-10-2004, 03:33 PM
chickenhead said: "what are you referencing?"

Well I mean one might get used to read the absolute time differences rather than lengths.
Then you may have conversion charts for different distances/different racecourse.

HTRFGuy
10-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Roughly speaking, how much is a length worth in 1st call and EP in routes?
I know it's a range that gets lower as the distances lengthen.

For example in sprints at first call I think a length is roughly. 0.50 velocity points. I emphasize roughly.and in EP in sprints, I thought a length was about.20-.25 or so.

andicap:

In all my work with handicapping software what is significant to me is that the time lost per length lost (beaten length) is a function of the speed of the leader. What we really need to know is the speed of the beaten horse within an interval. I use 9 feet for a 'length' and this gives me the following formula to compute elapsed time (and speed) for the beaten horse.

My formula applies in any leg (call) of the race regardless of race length. For the beaten horse, per unit beaten length we lose time...

Time(BH) = Time(Ldr) + BLgth * (.3233 - .0087 * SpdLdr)

where

Time(BH) is the elapsed time (sec) of the beaten horse at any call from the prior call/or start,

Time(Ldr) is the elapsed time of the race (leader) at the same call/or start,

BLgth is the beaten length of the beaten horse,

SpdLdr is the Speed of the Leader (yards/second, sorry!)
in covering the race leg to the call.

I apply this procedure for the first, second and final calls
over the respective distance of the three legs of the race
for each beaten horse.

Thus I have an elapsed time for the beaten horse for each race interval from which I can compute the speed of the beaten horse over each race interval.