PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Yanks

Pages : [1] 2

sq764
10-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Well, it's the matchup everyone wanted, and we all got it..

Let the fun begin on Tuesday..

andicap
10-09-2004, 11:39 PM
You gotta root for the Astros in the NL no matter who wins in the AL.

Clemens vs. the BoSox -- that's almost enough for me to root for Boston. (I said, "almost.") :D

Or Clemens vs. the Yankees...the team he "retired" on.

Wow!!! Also be nice for Bagwell, Biggio to finally get into the WS. They're getting a bit long in the tooth. Great storyline too with the Killer Bs, (Berkman and Beltran as well).

Also, if its Houston-Boston, well, don't we have an election right after the World Series between Texas and Massachusetts?

Cardinals-Yankees and Cards-Red Sox have great tradition on their side. The Cards beat the Yanks in 7 in '64 and they have played 5 Series in all with the Cards holdig a 3-2 edge including the famous '26 game with a hung-over aging Grover Alexander struck out Lazzeri with the bases full in relief.
Trivia question, how did the '26 Series end?

Cards-Sox of course go back to '46 and '67,

A coincidence: Cards won '64 and '67 Series in 7 games after both losing games elected to bring back their starts after two days rest and it backfired. (Stottlemyre and Lonborg.)

Suff
10-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Lets get it on.

It's going to be a great few weeks for Boston. First we'll Crank out a World Series Championship, Then we'll crank out a new President... and just for Good measure we'll get the party started tommorrow when the PATS win 19 in a row and break that record... Shit, they'll probably go on and bring us another Super Bowl Championship again this year.... Its a Great time to be a liberal Loving, Baseball Loving, Championship Loving Democrat from Boston MA....:o ..:p ...;) ..

sq764
10-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Well Suff, I hope you are 1 for 3 in your predictions..

(Fill in Eagles where you put New England and Bush where you put Kerry and we agree 100%)

TOOZ
10-10-2004, 07:41 AM
I don't bet baseball, but I'm going to bet the Sox for the series.
Everyone busted their balls because they didn't get Alex. No one mentions that they had the best free agent move in a long, long time. Their time has come.

sq764
10-10-2004, 08:09 AM
1 game at a time, that's how it has to be taken.. Just want a good start from Schilling in game one.

andicap
10-10-2004, 08:32 AM
I like the Yankees chances even tho Boston is playing extremely well, has an improved defense and one of the best offenses in the league to go with Schilling who kills the Yankees.

Beyond Schilling the Sox are thin. Pedro is psyched out vs. the Yankees and then you have Arroyo, Wakefield and Lowe.

Yanks have Mussina as sacrificial lamb to Schilling but Lieber is pitching OK and if his sinker is on he'll keep the ball in the park and keep the games close.
Brown is also pitching much better now that he has realized that he can't throw the ball 95 MPH anymore and must be more of a pitcher rather than a thrower.

Team defense is about the same with both having strenghts and weaknesses. Sox are much improved here tho.

I think the Series will be won or lost in the bullpens and not just the closers.

Question: How does Bosox middle relief stack up?

Yanks are fair. Gordon is lights out but there's not much besides him. Sturtze has been a pleasant surprise but he's inexperienced. Quantrill has slumped since the break and of course Riveria is a great closer.

sq764
10-10-2004, 08:42 AM
I can agree with most of your points there.. I think the bullpens are very key in this series.. There are no givens, which is the beauty of the series..

Foulke has been very shaky of late and has a penchant for the homerun ball. Rivera is very beatable and the Sox beating him twice this year means they won't fear him.

Defenses are good on both ends, picking up Cabrerra was huge for the Sox (good riddance No-Ma).. The Yanks defense is very solid too.

I think the Sox have more offensive weapons and a better overall offense, but the Yanks have enough offense to match the Sox..

Some questions for the series:

- does Pedro step up like he did against the Angels or let the Yanks get the best of him

- Can A-rod stay hot like he was against Minnesota, or does his regular season slump of hitting with runners in scoring position rear it's ugly head again

- Will Brown throw like he did against Minnesota or will he be in for another outing like the last one against the Sox

- Will Timlim be able to hold a lead?? He is a HUGE key in the series

- Will Jeter shake his awful game 4 performance against the Twins? I have no doubt

- And the biggest points - Can the Sox shut down Sox-killer Matsui? Can the Yanks shut down the Ramirez/Ortiz train?

Should be a fun series..

My prediction: A great series

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Watch out Sox fans...this is the EVIL EMPIRE we are talking about here.

Did you see the way the empire CRUSHED the dreams of Twins fans everywhere, being up 5-1 with their best pitcher on the mound?

Hell, they had the plane to NY loaded and ready to go, but alas and alak, those homer hankies were put to better use in the end.

DREAM CRUSHERS....bank on it!!! LOL

sq764
10-10-2004, 10:40 AM
I will certainly reserve my comments until after the series..

Me thinks PA is not as confident as he leads to believe :-)

sq764
10-10-2004, 01:07 PM
This is a weird stat:

Since 1995, 13 teams have reached the postseason in a 100-win year. Only one of them won the World Series -- the 1998 Yankees.

kenwoodallpromos
10-11-2004, 12:58 PM
How many 100ers lost playoffs?

sq764
10-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Oh well, I knew something has to go awry :-)

Schilling is hurt bad and what a horrible time for this to happen.. I don't get why they are leaving him in there hurt..

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2004, 09:44 PM
He's pitched with this injury for a while now, or so they say.

sq764
10-12-2004, 09:50 PM
not sure, looked like he did it in the game against the Angels when he threw the ball away.. He definitely didn't look like he was right tonight..

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I thought I heard Joe Buck say something to the effect that tonight isn't the first night he's pitched with this injury....oh well...either way, it's all good.

Even if Schilling were 100% healthy, the Red Sox still don't have a hit through 5.

sq764
10-12-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm not going to get into it with you in the 5th inning of game one. That's why the winner has to win 4 games.. You even know better than that PA..

WINMANWIN
10-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Bosox were favored -160 Yanks + 140 for the series.
Talk about SOX fans pounding there team or what :confused:
With Yanks having home field advantage, maybe some die hard SOX fans didn't wager on it, and Realized it was too HIGH:eek:
After all , Yanks did have Pedro's #, and he admitted it. Smart move by Pedro, complimenting Yanks with the Daddy comment
You cant blame a man, who's looking for a job next year:)

cj
10-13-2004, 02:59 AM
I think Sox fans have to face the fact that Game 2 is an absolute MUST win. Of course with Pedro on the hill, they should win, but a loss would pretty much be the end this year.

sq764
10-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Oh come on.. I think we are putting a little too much stock in 1 game here.. Remember, the Sox won game 1 last year and lost the series.. If Boston wins tonight, last night meant nothing, cause a split is a good scenario..

If they lose, it's certainly not over, but it's definitely not a good position to be in.

I can tell you one thing, the Yankme fans are going to be ALL over Pedro tonight..

cj
10-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Of course if they win tonight, Game 1 is not a big deal, but if they lose, down 0-2 and both aces would have been beaten, I would think its over. Especially with Schilling not cracking 90 on the gun, as he is pretty iffy at this point anyway.

sq764
10-13-2004, 09:40 AM
(He was throwing 94 in the first inning, but that's neither here nor there)..

I think he's pretty much done for the series.. He can't push off and looked like a totally different pitcher.. I'd rather he not pitch again than throw garbage up there..

cj
10-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by sq764
...I'd rather he not pitch again than throw garbage up there..

Agreed, then we would have to call him Wakefield :D:D:D

As much as I tried, I just couldn't bring myself to really root for the Yankees. Its entertaining, but I just can't really get behind either team as a lifelong Os fan.

sq764
10-13-2004, 11:13 AM
But doesn't it make you just a little wee bit happy knowing that I am rooting for the team that lost :-)

cj
10-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Surprisingly, no. I was rooting for Mussina as I think he is a really classy guy, for an athlete at least, but once he was out of the game, I was more for a comeback to make it a good game. Keep in mind, I was watching at 4am, so I may be a bit out of it during the game!

WINMANWIN
10-13-2004, 03:35 PM
(He was throwing 94 in the first inning, but that's neither here nor there)..

I think he's pretty much done for the series.. He can't push off and looked like a totally different pitcher.. I'd rather he not pitch again than throw garbage up there..

I thought he topped out at 89 according to the fox broadcast,
but It doesnt matter, Shilling is not the horse he was the whole year for them, This injury supposedly is not gonna heal in 1 week so, the sox are up against it. It certainly would make some story, if they did beat the yanks in the series with no help from Schilling.
Again, the series odds were slided to much for the SOX. It's like horseracing, sometimes you gotta say WHAT, :eek: Not at that PRICE.........

sq764
10-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah, this certainly does not make it any easier for the Sox.. Apparently, his ankle is so bad he can't pitch for 2 weeks...lovely..

Well, Pedro is a free agent after this year, stepping up like the man this week would certainly add some zeros to his salary next year..

cj
10-13-2004, 04:15 PM
He doesn't need a good post season, he'll get all the 0s he'll want anyway.

sq764
10-13-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't think I would pay him big bucks if I were another team.. He's still a top pitcher, but definitely on the downside of his career..

BIG RED
10-13-2004, 04:53 PM
fouled up

BIG RED
10-13-2004, 05:05 PM
:p

sq764
10-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Wow, Yanks up 1-0, but did A-rod look like he's never seen a curveball on that 3-2 pitch to end the 2nd?? Wow..

$22 million for that :-)

Dave Schwartz
10-13-2004, 10:52 PM
After the 7th... "We don't need no stinking hitting."

sq764
10-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Neither of them do, apparently...

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2004, 11:39 PM
MASTERFUL first two games....

MASTERFUL starting pitching.

Who's your DADDY???

DREAM CRUSHERS...crushed the comeback dream last night, and now presently crushing the World Series dream....

sq764
10-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Masterful first 2 games - They were 2 good games

Masterful staring pitching - Um, very good starting pitching from Lieber and Pedro tonight, not as good from either last night

Dude, Pedro pitched very well, the who's your daddy thing is just getting stupid.. even for new yorkers..

Dream Crushers? Do you even try to win the world series or is the Sox series your world series?

Kinda sad that the expectations have lowered this much..

cj
10-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Only a Boston fan would think the Who's Your Daddy thing is stupid...everyone else thinks its absolutely HILARIOUS.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2004, 04:20 AM
Masterful staring pitching - Um, very good starting pitching from Lieber and Pedro tonight, not as good from either last night

I expect more of a reality check from a fellow Bush supporter.

How can you call Mussina carrying a perfect game into the 7th inning against what is supposedly the best offense in the league "not as good?????"

Dude, even YOU can't be that biased, can you?

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Dream Crushers? Do you even try to win the world series or is the Sox series your world series?

Actually, if you would refer back to my post at the end of the TWINS series, you will see that is where I introduced the term DREAM CRUSHER (and I am taking FULL CREDIT for this if it catches on), so it is NOT solely for use against the Red Sox (although it might be MOST APPLICABLE to the Sox).

It is a term that can be applied to all opponents in the post season this year, CULMINATING with another world championship for the NEW YORK YANKEES.

Good luck at Fenway.

sq764
10-14-2004, 09:33 AM
PA, here was Mussina's line:

6.2 IP, 4 earned runs

That is average at best.. You can pitch a perfect game through the last batter in the 9th, but if you give up 4 runs, it ends up being a decent outing..

Your love affair with the Yanks prevents you from being objective at all.. It's not your fault though..

sq764
10-14-2004, 09:35 AM
"Culminating with another World Championship"?

Haha, you have been saying this for the past 3 years.. I guess if you say it every year, at some point you'll look like a genius :-)

cj
10-14-2004, 09:48 AM
The AL Champion will probably get blasted by St Louis anyway. Damn those guys look good.

sq764
10-14-2004, 10:54 AM
I was listening to the radio and several of the scouts were saying that St Louis's lineup is one of the best of all-time.. I thought that was an outrageous statement, but in hindsight, maybe not..

They have been mowing through people and the only kink was the game Lima shut them down completely..

sq764
10-14-2004, 11:14 AM
This is the crazy part of the series to me:

Jeter – 1 for 7, 0 rbis
Damon – 0 for 8, 0 rbis
Ramirez – 2 for 8, 0 rbis
Rodriguez – 3 for 9, 0 rbis

Who would have thought than none of these 4 would have any impact on the series so far..

Secretariat
10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
This is the crazy part of the series to me:

Jeter – 1 for 7, 0 rbis
Damon – 0 for 8, 0 rbis
Ramirez – 2 for 8, 0 rbis
Rodriguez – 3 for 9, 0 rbis

Who would have thought than none of these 4 would have any impact on the series so far..

You forgot one.

Bush 0 for 3.

sq764
10-14-2004, 03:08 PM
3 for 3 and on the losing team isn't very good either :-)

Secretariat
10-14-2004, 07:21 PM
3 for 3 and on the losing team isn't very good either :-)

Good one SQ

Suff
10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Its a Must win situation tonight. No Doubt. A loss and its over. Its Friday Night in Fenway Park----and the Sox have something like a 75% win % on these Weekend Night Games at Home. The crowd is a Big 10th man. If Yanks quiet the crowd early... it could mean trouble. But The Sox can throw up a 6 spot in a NY Minute. A win Tonight and and its back on.

sq764
10-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Need 2/3 in Boston, period.. For some odd reason, I am still very confident that they can win this series..

Maybe it's that they have played SO poorly in every aspect of their game and still had opportunities to win or tie both games..Maybe I am just a 'homer' as CJ says :-)

BIG RED
10-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Must win tonight for SOX. Way to big of lead to catch them, just would need a miracle. Still have faith, but can't go 3 down.

Suff
10-16-2004, 06:29 PM
predicting a Big Nite for the Nation tonight.

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Not looking too good for the nation in Beantown tonight.

Dave Schwartz
10-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Did I mention that we don't need no stinkin' pitching?

Dave Schwartz

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Lots 'o DREAM CRUSHERS tonight....

Sheffield, Matsui, A-Rod....take your pick!

(Sq is gonna come back at me and tell me how I better enjoy this, as this is my World Series, and the Yanks will have no shot against St. Louis, right SQ? Or maybe he'll tell me that the Sox are gonna take 4 straight from the Yankees and win the ACLS)

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2004, 11:26 PM
How many runs you think the Yanks will score tonight?

Will they score 23 like SQ ripped the Yanks for getting beaten by earlier this year?

16 so far, and we're only in the 7th....lol

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2004, 11:28 PM

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Anyone want to bet on when the Sox will throw at the Yankees and start another brawl? Maybe that will turn things around again.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Wow, 17-6 so far. The Red Sox can tie it up with a FG, TD & 2 Point conversion.

Tom
10-17-2004, 12:23 AM

cj
10-17-2004, 05:20 AM
If I were Boston, I'd think long and hard before I let Pedro walk away. This staff is horrible.

Suff
10-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Ugh!. What can you say. Embarrasing. And hard to digest. The Yanks have dominated us. Period. I congratulate them and wish them luck in the World Series. I think it would be great to have Clemens back at Yankee Stadium but I wold prefer to see St Louie get in. St Louis is a great Baseball town. Great Fans, Great Tadition and a very talented team. I'd enjoy a Yanks/Cardinal series. Of Course I'd route Yanks cuz I'm an American League guy.

This series has been tough to swallow but obviously the Yankees are the better team and they're showing it.

Good luck.

sq764
10-17-2004, 03:15 PM
No doubt, you play like that, you deserve to get beat, period..

Trijack
10-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Suff

I feel your pain. I thought after the Red Sox took the Angels in three they would do good against the Yankees.

Jack

Shacopate
10-18-2004, 01:26 AM
Ortiz just put one over the wall to win it for the Red Sox and keep this great rivalry alive.

What a game!

BIG RED
10-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Aleast the Yanks didn't need a broom. Now we go from here, and see what happens.

sq764
10-18-2004, 10:05 AM
You know the Sox just couldn't let it end.. They will have to get hopes up of Pedro pitching a gem tonight, then seeing if Schilling is on tomorrow..

I guess the next best thing to winning is to wear out the bullpen so they lose the WS :-)

BIG RED
10-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Shilling is reported to pitch Tuesday, we'll see. Could be just a moral booster. But if he does, hope he isn't doing something foolish just for a win. He's not a lock and would rather see himself stay healthy and re-coop. We just have to try and tweek one win at a time!

Still in there

OTM Al
10-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Not a Red Sox fan by any means but with a team with such an explosive offense, they certaily shouldn't be counted out even yet. Someone some day will come back from 0-3 and if they stay positive, it could be them. If the Yanks could have just tacked on a few when they got up 2-0 last night, I think the Sox would have deflated and went quietly. The key play to me was Cabrerra somehow catching that smash off of Rodriguez with Cairo on 2nd. I can't blame Torre for going with Rivera for 2 (and its not like they shelled him) because he was going for the kill right there, but personally I wouldn't have minded Sturtz going one more inning so Gordon could do the 8th and Rivera the 9th, but that is nit picking. Pedro is going to have to go long today. Torre still has a closer with Gordon (and possibly Mariano could go 1) but with Foulke going 3 huge innings last night, I can't see him being as effective today.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2004, 12:10 PM
It just delays the inevitable DREAM CRUSHING by another day or two.

sq764
10-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Yup, all that's left now is the mystery of what game this series ends in and who beats the Yanks in the WS..

Another year, another predictable season.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2004, 01:07 PM
I know I'm counting my chickens before they hatch, so if the Yanks lose this series by some miracle of Boston, shoot me.

However, nobody gave the Yankees the respect they deserved going into the ALCS, and it would be foolish to do the same in the World Series.

If the Yankees win today, then they will win the World Series. Mark my words.

sq764
10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
PA, you said that last year, and the year before :-)

Law of averages says you have to be right sometime :-)

sq764
10-18-2004, 01:38 PM
But with that being said, the Yanks deserve to win this series if they do tonight or tomorrow or whenever. They stepped up when they had to and the Sox didn't.. No 2 ways around it.

It's unfortunate that Schilling was hurt and it was a big blow, but that was only 1 game.. No excuse for what happened Thurs and Sat..

The odds are grossly stacked against the Sox, but it would be fun to see them make a series of it..

I am a sick person, but I wish it was like best of 21 games.. I could take about 21 games of Sox/Yanks.. Just love the fire it brings out in people..

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2004, 03:38 PM
I am reminded of the Warren Nelson's (recently late owner of the Cal-Neva Casino) quote when asked if blackjack could be beaten:

"When the lamb goes to the butcher, the lamb might kill the butcher. But we like to bet on the butcher."

'Course, he was wrong, wasn't he? <G>

Dave

sq764
10-18-2004, 03:42 PM
But I enjoy being the lamb.. cause one day when that lamb does kill that butcher.. I just don't know what would happen..

I think there will be multiple suicides in New York (one being Big Stein)

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2004, 04:22 PM
You can get great odds...

Lamb +1,873.25

sq764
10-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Actually the 'lamb' was the favorite this year..

Even I thought that was a little ridiculous for oddsmakers to make them the fave..

cj
10-18-2004, 04:33 PM
What would be worse for Sox fans:

To be swept in 4, or to come back to even the series at 3 then lose game 7. Call me sadistic, but I can see that happening as the ultimate curse of the Bambino!

sq764
10-18-2004, 04:39 PM
Funny, I was just telling that to someone today.. I have a weird feeling Pedro pitches another good one tonight, then Schilling is on tomorrow, then they lose a tight one in game 7.. It's not enough to break my heart, they have to rip it out of my chest and piss on it for a while..

(I still think getting swept would have been worse than anything..)

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Lambs 2, butchers 0

Bubbles
10-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Funny, I was just telling that to someone today.. I have a weird feeling Pedro pitches another good one tonight, then Schilling is on tomorrow, then they lose a tight one in game 7.. It's not enough to break my heart, they have to rip it out of my chest and piss on it for a while..

(I still think getting swept would have been worse than anything..)

My feelings exactly. This is all a big set-up to tick off Yankee haters. :confused:

Although whoever wins the NLCS probably wins the whole thing...

sq764
10-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Johnny Damon has simply had one of the worst ALCS series of at bats I have ever seen anyone have, ever, in the history of baseball, ever.... Holy shit..

The only saving grace is that Jeter has sucked this entire series at bat and in the field..

But Damon certainly takes the cake..

sq764
10-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Not that I had much to begin with, but any respect I had for Sheffield before his idiotic comment is gone.. Any jackass who hit .063, .143 and .222 in Division series play and has bascially sucked in almost every post season he has played in has balls to call someone a disaster..

Would love to see Pedro put one right in his ribs.. Steroids don't protect your ribs..

(Wow, Matsui just got buzzed by the nose, this could get ugly :-)

sq764
10-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Please tell me this game won't be decided over a bloop triple.. That seems about right..

sq764
10-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Regardless of what happens, this is why I love being a Sox fan and taking the heartbreakers.. These guys have crazy heart.. They could have packed it in many times...

Bubbles
10-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Rivera doesn't have that unhittable quotient anymore. It's shown in the last two nights. Torre used to just be able to bring Rivera in in the 8th, get out of a jam, and pitch a perfect 9th for the win. Not anymore. The Sox have touched him two nights in a row, which would have been insane to even THINK just two years ago.

This is nuts, to say the least.

sq764
10-18-2004, 09:06 PM
well the bonehead play of the night goes to the Sox on that steal

Why not bunt, then you have Ramirez and ortiz up with a runner on 2nd.. That was awful

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2004, 09:22 PM
...and I am not so sure that Damon wasn't safe.

sq764
10-18-2004, 09:44 PM
this series is just crazy..

I am calling it right now, Damon homers to win it :-)

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2004, 09:46 PM
SQ,

You really do like to bet on the lambs. <G>

Seriously, though, do the Sox have some pitchers left that I don't know about? They are going through them like they expect this game to end real soon.

Dave

sq764
10-18-2004, 09:53 PM
if they win this game, Damon has GOT to come out of lineup.. He's a goddamn disgrace..

I am wondering if the Yanks have any pitchers left.. Loazia is coming in now.. Wow..

If this ever got to a game 7, the starting pitchers would be Derek Jeter versus Jason Varitek

Bubbles
10-18-2004, 09:57 PM
And in comes Wakefield...

sq764
10-18-2004, 09:59 PM
I seriously cannot even fathom how bad Damon has been.. If I didn't follow baseball, I would be asking myself "has this jerkoff EVER played baseball before"???

I mean he can freaking turn water into win, but hell if he can get a damn bunt down..

Bubbles
10-18-2004, 10:13 PM
"Ortiz can't run..."

"There he goes!"

How NOT to manage a baseball game...

sq764
10-18-2004, 10:15 PM
not to mention he was safe, clear as day..

Stupid move on his part, but terrible to miss a call that important.. oh well..

andicap
10-18-2004, 10:19 PM
So in the 4th inning I turn the VCR on to tape the rest of the game between I'm taking care of my daughter. I set it for 3 hours -- come back at 9:30p and turn on the VCR.
Tape shuts off in the 10th inning and I'm going...crap.
So I turn to the YES Network to see what happened.
Damned if there isn't a crawl under the show saying they'll be a post-game show once the game is over!!! and it's 10:15 p.m. (5 hours after game time).

I don't believe it.

And Sheffield's on!!!!

After the first few games this is finally a Yanks-Red Sox series!!!

:)

sq764
10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
just think, if they started this at 8:15 as usual, it would be nearing 2 am right now..

Bubbles
10-18-2004, 10:46 PM
And lost in the shuffle is the Cards/Astros game.

They've combined for no runs and two hits through 6+ innings.

RXB
10-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Yes!

Bubbles
10-18-2004, 11:02 PM
HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Steve 'StatMan'
10-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Wow, what a game!

And now we get to catch the Astros & Cards in the bottom of the 8th, with both teams having a 1-hitter.

sq764
10-18-2004, 11:04 PM
I am now 31 going on 70 after this shit...

I can't take 2 more games of this.. I just can't...

but I will :-)

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2004, 11:06 PM
WHat a game, huh?

And, SQ, you were partly right... Damon DID score the winning run.

Dave

sq764
10-18-2004, 11:21 PM
yeah, not exactly the homerun I was hoping for :-)

I am just glad to see them fight back.. IT's a shame they decided to start playing hard when it was possibly too late..

I think Ortiz has just crossed the imaginary line of very good player to clutch star..

Now the mystery is what does Schilling have left.... We shall see

JustRalph
10-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Note to Larussa.............don't piss off Jeff Kent..........

I bet Bonds is having a fit...........

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2004, 11:26 PM
SQ,

When I switched to the Cards/Astros game (which just ended) the announcer suggested the pitchers tomorrow would be Millar and Enrique WIlson. <G>

Dave

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Watching a Yankees - Red Sox's series can be hazardous
to your health.

sq764
10-18-2004, 11:35 PM
I know the Yankme fans are disappointed, and the Cards fans are a little too, but could you ask for a better night of baseball drama??

Wow..

My wife is almost 8 months pregnant and almost yacked when Damon scored the winning run.. and she does not like baseball!!

I am sorry, football's got nothing on MLB playoff games.. And Sox/Yanks... there is nothing like it..

I was heartbroken last year, but it was an amazing series and the Yanks were game to the end.. I can only hope it turns around this year..

sq764
10-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Dave, tomorrow, I would guess that Foulke and Rivera are pretty much unavailable..

Gordon, Sturtz, Wakefield and Arroyo have to be exhausted..

The key is the team that scores early tomorrow... It could be a huge advantage..

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2004, 11:38 PM
SQ,

Are you kidding? I want the Yankees to win but if the Sox do come back in 7 games then they deserve it! I love the opportunity to watch history being made!

Dave

Shacopate
10-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Another great game, wow!

I love Wakes' make-you-look-silly knuckleball. Catcher included.

And the best sports rivalry continues.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Well, I guess I'm off the hook with my "If the Yanks win tonight, they are going to win the World Series" line. That's about the best thing that happened for me out of this game.....

That, and the fact that the Yankees are really setting up a doozy of a DREAM CRUSHER for the sox, letting them think they actually have a chance to make history....lol

PS. Sheffield's comments were dead on, in my opinion, and I for one am glad he said it....of course I refer to this comment:

"They're a walking disaster. They act like they're tough, how they care so much about winning, but it's all a front. They're just a bunch of characters."

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 01:27 AM
Would love to see Pedro put one right in his ribs.. Steroids don't protect your ribs..

Real nice. You fit right in....LOL

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 01:56 AM
This was kinda cool, before the last two games of course:

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/soxgrave.jpg

JustRalph
10-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
This was kinda cool, before the last two games of course:

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/soxgrave.jpg

"knew" is this some kind of East Coast Dialect, or inflection included for humorous reasons?

OTM Al
10-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Another fantastic game and no one was really talking about how good the pitching was on both sides despite the fact that both bullpens have got to be aching. Just a few observations the day after:

1) Crediting Rivera with a blown save in this game, though the rule, is unfair. 1st and 3rd with no one out is not a situation that you can get out of very often no matter how good you are. He had a strong 2 innings again.

2) Tim McCarver makes my head hurt

3) Tony Clark, despite being pretty much overmatched these days would have had the game winning hit in any park but Fenway. The Yankees get all the breaks....right. The breaks they get are just remembered because they win those games more often than not.

4) Why does anyone think Tim McCarver belongs in an announcing booth....oh yeah its Fox. Speaking of which, the "reality" show commercials are making my head hurt as bad as McCarver.

5) I think both teams could use a rainout today and frankly, I'd prefer it that way. A series this good should be won or lost with both teams best on the field. Rain is expected all day here.

6) Tim McCarver was definitely hit in the head with too many foul tips. Can this man ever shut the hell up? He makes Bob Costas look like Vin Scully.

7) Will whoever wins this series have anything at all left?

sq764
10-19-2004, 09:14 AM
PA, Sheffield makes a stupid comment like that, then goes out and goes 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts..

You just can't make a bigger ass of yourself than that..

Really tells me a lot about you that you support such idiocy..

sq764
10-19-2004, 09:18 AM
OTM,

1) Good point.. But on the flip side, you get a save when you're up by 2 runs with no one on.. That's not really fair either..

2) Tim McCarver should go on Fox Football with Troy Aikman, they would be perfect for each other.

3) Considering Wilson was out at home, Damon and Ortiz were both safe at second and 3 of the Yanks runs were on a bloop double, I think they both got some breaks last night..

5) Not sure who the rainout helps.. I think if Schilling is on, it certainly hurts the Sox.. Whoever goes deeper tonight has the huge advantage..

7) who cares.. We'll worry about that when it matters :-)

sq764
10-19-2004, 09:20 AM
PA, I am curious, what about Sheffield's statement is true?

The Sox don't care about winning?? If you can watch the last 2 games and tell me they don't care about winning, you're a complete freaking moron..

Are they tough?? This is coming from a pussy that wears a 5 lb elbow protecter at the plate.. Yeah, that's tough..

shanta
10-19-2004, 09:25 AM
David Ortiz is unconcious. The new "Mr. October" in my book. Being a Yankees fan this guy is killing me. Tom Gordon is being hit like it's batting practice. Manny Ramirez has no clue what is going on.

The most unreal games that I have watched in a long time. I hope today is rained out also to give the teams a chance to recover. I think we all KNOW this is going 7 games now. Wouldn't have it any other way either.
Richie

sq764
10-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Sheffield:

Sun night: "They don't care about winning"

Mon night: "We did everything we could," Sheffield said shortly after a second straight Red Sox rally resulted in a 5-4 victory in 14 innings last night in Game 5 of the ALCS in front of 35,120 at Fenway Park. "They fought their hearts out but eventually we will take it back to New York and win the game."

Wow, from they don't care to they fought their hearts out..

Who knew quitters fought their hearts out..

And to think PA, you support this idiot's comments.. That's sad..

sq764
10-19-2004, 09:33 AM
and after all that, now he says he didn;t say it.. (Maybe the 0 for 4 and 0 for last 9 changed his mind :-)

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/30642.htm

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
And to think PA, you support this idiot's comments.. That's sad..

What's sad is that you think someone should get drilled for speaking the truth.

Here's the truth, said by your own guy (Damon)

"I don't think we want to compare ourselves to the Yankees. We'll do everything the opposite of what they do."

Which is why I guess everyone has facial hair (George S. frowns upon that), and why most of them look like they just stepped out of the men's shelter. It's all about slogans and image to them. (Remember COWBOY UP?)

And you have said in the past that we Yankee fans look upon this as our World Series. How hypocritcal is this when you KNOW every Sox fan considers beating the Yankees to be the penultimate of success.

Hell, they even ADMIT one of the main reasons they wanted Schilling is because of his effectiveness against the Yankees over the years!

Now who is idiotic?

PS. I wonder if that above quote by Damon also includes WINNING?

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Whether Sheff said it or not, it's something *I* have been thinking and saying to others all year, so I still agree with it.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 10:29 AM
The Sox don't care about winning?? If you can watch the last 2 games and tell me they don't care about winning, you're a complete freaking moron..

Come on SQ. All season long you've been saying the REd Sox are a better team. They have the best offense...blah blah blah...

Of course they are going to win some games. How could they not with a lineup like that? Doesn't nullify the hypothesis.

sq764
10-19-2004, 10:30 AM
You are right, Sheff shouldn't have been drilled for it.. That would be doing him a favor.. Letting his choke ass hit is the best thing you can do.. He's a career walking disaster in the playoffs.. There has to be some irony there...

You tell me PA, do you think the Sox care about winning at all?

sq764
10-19-2004, 10:32 AM
The hypothesis that they are a walking disaster? If you say so..

I think of the Diamondbacks and Devilrays as walking disasters, not a team that wins 95 games, sweeps the ALDS and fights back in 12 and 14 innings in the ALCS to stay alive.

What I do consider a walking disaster is someone who hits .066 in a playoffs series.. Who fits that bill?

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Sheffield RF

G AB R H 2b 3b HR RBI BB K SB AVG
5 22 7 9 3 0 1 5 6 6 0 .409

Yeah, he's having a crappy playoffs.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 10:41 AM
BTW, regarding the weather....as it looks now....

GAME ON

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Sheffield's career post season stats.. .267 career.. with 16 rbis in 120 at bats.. Yeah, what a stud he is..

I especially like the 1 for 16 performance in 2002.. Yeah, he's got balls calling someone a disaster.. hahaha

1997 Florida Marlins 16 50 13 16 2 0 3 7 27 20 8 1 --- .521 .540 .320
2002 Atlanta Braves 5 16 3 1 0 0 1 1 4 7 3 0 0 .348 .250 .063
2003 Atlanta Braves 4 14 0 2 0 0 0 1 2 2 0 0 0 .294 .143 .143
2004 New York Yankees 9 40 9 13 4 0 2 7 23 9 7 0 1 .449 .575 .325

Career Totals 34 120 25 32 6 0 6 16 56 38 18 1 --- .450 .467 .267

cj
10-19-2004, 11:20 AM
If you eliminate the years he was infected with "Braves are losers" disease, he's done pretty well.

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Well, when your cleanup hitter hits .063 for an entire series, it certainly doesn't help you to be a winner..

Nice attempt at an excuse for his mediocracy though..

Valuist
10-19-2004, 11:33 AM
It won't matter who wins. Just like the Breeder's Cup, the World Series is going to the Lone Star state.

cj
10-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Well, when your cleanup hitter hits .063 for an entire series, it certainly doesn't help you to be a winner..

Nice attempt at an excuse for his mediocracy though..

It was a joke, I don't care about Sheffield.

Do you ever pick on any white guys?

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:38 AM
So you're calling me a racist now? I can't help that Sheffield ran his mouth about the red sox being a walking disaster and that he happens to be black..

Hey SQ, cool it with the foul language.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Speaking of race, do they let black people into Fenway Park anymore?

I mean, seriously, every single shot of the crowd, all white folks.

OTM Al
10-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Jim Bouton of Ball Four fame claimed that the Boston ownership used to have a quota of a maximum of 3 black players up until the early 70s. Don't know if that is true or not, but what is a fact is that they and the Chicago Cubs were the last teams in their leagues to integrate. That fact explains a whole lot of the so called curse to me. There was a story that Willie Mays and Hank Aaron tried out for the Sox and were told to go home. Again, I have no confirmation of that, just recall reading it in one of my baseball books. Can you imagine how many they might have won with an outfield of Aaron, Mays and Williams?

Valuist
10-19-2004, 01:52 PM
What year did Jackie Robinson break in? 1947 or so? I know Ernie Banks was playing for the Cubs in the early 50s so there wasn't THAT big of a lag time for them to integrate. When I look at their strong teams from the 60s, 3 of the core players (Banks, Williams and Jenkins) were all black.

chickenhead
10-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Jackie in 1947..Boston (Pumpsie Green) in 1959....

sq764
10-19-2004, 01:58 PM
This is the stupidest conversation I have listened to in quite a while..

PA, do they allow white position players on the Yankees?

Beyond Olerud, do they even have any?

What a stupid, idiotic question of you to ask..

sq764
10-19-2004, 02:00 PM
PA, did you ever possibly think that the majority of people that watch baseball are white? And that there might be a direct correlation with people who attend the games live?

No, that would take actually brain activity on your part.. I am kinda disappointed at your sheer ignorance..

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 02:02 PM
This is the stupidest conversation I have listened to in quite a while..

PA, do they allow white position players on the Yankees?

Beyond Olerud, do they even have any?

What a stupid, idiotic question of you to ask..

What are you talking about? I wasn't referring to the team, I was referring to the fans in the stands.

Perhaps you should take a few breaths before you respond from now on.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 02:05 PM
PA, did you ever possibly think that the majority of people that watch baseball are white? And that there might be a direct correlation with people who attend the games live?

No, that would take actually brain activity on your part.. I am kinda disappointed at your sheer ignorance..

If anything, it has to do with the population, not baseball fans in general.

To prove my point, I bet you'll see a much more diverse crowd at Yankee stadium tonight than you saw at Fenway....

OTM Al
10-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Technically it would have been 1946 when he played for the AAA team. Ernie was signed in 1953. Thing is, the stars of the Negro League were all snapped up by then. Once the genie was out of the bottle, many teams jumped to it. They were lucky to get a guy of his caliber. Williams and Jenkins came later (56 and 65 resp). And also, how much better would they have been if they would have jumped earlier and got someone like Willie or Hank. The Yankees were very late in signing black players as well, but then they could basically get the best of the rest even more then than now, so it didn't hurt them so much. Some places too, blacks simply did not want to play because of the hostility they felt. Philadelphia comes to mind as one of those cities. Curt Flood may not have quit had he been traded to a more friendly place.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 02:13 PM

Why are you getting so defensive about an observation made based on truth? I asked a simple question.

OTM Al
10-19-2004, 02:13 PM
If you think about it, there are fewer black American players in the game right now than there was 20 years ago. The young black athlete is going more for football and basketball. Lets see, the Yankees currently have 3 black Americans on their team, Sheff, Jeter, and Tony Clark. The Red Sox have only 1 that I can think of, Pokey Reese (I am assuming Ortiz is hispanic, though not sure there). This is not a knock on either team for racisim these days, its just what it is. And guess what...few black stars on the field means few black fans in the stands.

RXB
10-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Tom Gordon for the Yankees, Dave Roberts for the Red Sox.

OTM Al
10-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Yep, missed them

chickenhead
10-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Very very few afro american starting pitchers in MLB, can count them on one hand I believe......

sq764
10-19-2004, 02:32 PM
PA, first off, sure I am a littele fired up after basically being called a racist.. And if you have a problem with me telling CJ to go fuck himself, then you have to do what you have to do.. Allowing that kind of insinuation is on your watch too..

And to your observation - An observation is 'wow, I didn't see to many black people in the stands'.. Not 'do they let black people into Fenway anymore'

We went to about 8 Phillies games this year and Philadelphia is very much a black-laiden community.. I bet you there were less than a few hundred black people at every game. It's easy to see.. And no, it's not because they don't allow black people into Citizen's Bank Park.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Keep using the f word. You're a person who can't follow the simplest of rules around here, yet you have the balls to call me ignorant!

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 02:56 PM
And for the record, asking the question "Do you ever pick on white guys" is certainly NOT "basically" the same as calling you a racist.

I would think that a person as smart as you happen to think that you are could see it that way.

You're overreacting.....again.....

cj
10-19-2004, 02:57 PM
I never called you a racist, I asked a question.

The following is what I have noticed, excluding players from teams for which you cheer.

You seem to hate Barry Bonds, Dante Culpepper, Michael Vick, Shaq, and Randy Moss, to name a few I remember off the top of my head. It seemed a common thread, so I asked the question.

I don't remember any Mark McGwire steroid blasts, or Peyton Manning blasts for not winning EVEN ONE game of not. He gets a pass, while Culpepper does not?

sq764
10-19-2004, 03:05 PM
CJ, as usual, you have a selective, and false memory.. We have been in arguments about Mussina and how he gives up bombs and I have been on his ass.. And last time i checked, he was white.

I consistently back and defend Mcnabb and TO, and last time I checked, they were black..

You seem to forget that these threads are started about Vick and Culpepper, I am just responding to them.. I cannot force other people to start threads about white people.. Do you see any threads started about white athletes?? Not many, are there?

You're barking up the wrong tree and that was a stupid and offensive comment to make.

You think maybe I hate certain players because they are assholes and not because they're black, einstein?? You yourself have admitted Bonds and Moss are assholes.. Do you think that because they are black?

You're just way off base and yeah I am offended and no I don't give a shit if you care or not..

sq764
10-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Hmm, top 3 QB's in your opinion are white.. Do you dislike black QB's?

cj
Pacoligist

IMO, Top 5 QBs in football:

1) Tom Brady
2) Brett Favre
3) Peyton Manning
4) Daunte Culpepper
5) Steve McNair

www.pacefigures.com

Report this post to a moderator

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 03:09 PM
How about getting back to the topic of Sox/Yanks.

Anyone really think Schilling is going to hold up in this weather? Cold, damp, wind chill in the 30s tonight.....

Not good weather for a guy with a bum ankle....

kenwoodallpromos
10-19-2004, 03:21 PM
I like Curt but he is hurtl and the curse is on. Sox are just stalling for time.

cj
10-19-2004, 03:21 PM
OK sq, you answered the question. I never thought you were a racist, but I asked, my bad.

So, why is Culpepper so overrated and Manning isn't? That list was done before the season started. Now, I'd have Culpepper #2 behind Brady, then Manning, then McNabb.

How exactly are Vick and Culpepper such @$$es, by the way? What have they ever done to offend you?

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 03:27 PM
We all need a rest. Hoping for rain.

I can't see Shilling pitching at all. It's not a bum ankle, he has a serious injury there. If he does, they better give him a local down there.

sq764
10-19-2004, 03:42 PM
CJ, I never said Culpepper and Vick were asses.. Not sure where that came from..

Regardless, it's best to move on from the race relations hour :-)

Does anyone know if the game is definitely on tonight?

OTM Al
10-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Its not raining in Manhattan right now but is awfully cold and dark. They will probably do all they can to get it in now, but I can't think its better than 50/50 that it will go.

sq764
10-19-2004, 03:47 PM
I think the worst thing they could possibly do is start the game and have a long rain delay and/or cancel it after 3 or 4 innings.. If they waste both starting pitchers, it would be a mess for both staffs.

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 03:55 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking FRI night. Cancel the game, don't start it then cancel under 5 innings. Hope they get a full game in tonight ( maybe about 8 hrs.?)

sq764
10-19-2004, 04:14 PM
I was just reading Bill Simmon's article on ESPN and found out what the Boston fans were chanting last night when Sheffield came up to bat:

"Who's your dealer?"

That's kind of funny..

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041019

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Just seen on ESPN live shot of Yanks. Looks like the rain stopped, might be playing tonight.

Let's get it on

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Last time Shilling pitched he gave up 6 runs and was yanked in the 3rd. Red Sox ended up scoring 8 runs. My question is how come Shilling got the loss?

chickenhead
10-19-2004, 08:10 PM
they were behind when he got yanked...and never tied or regained the lead after that...

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 08:39 PM
okeedokee.............forgot how that goes

Bubbles
10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
...WOW.

Did you see that shot Posada hit? How did that stay in the yard?

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 09:08 PM
The air is like peanutbutter.

Bases loaded for sox, bellhorn up. 1-2 double play. They should have Pokey in.

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 09:33 PM
All is forgiven :D

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 09:48 PM
SQ, did you just see that clip FOX played of Schilling and his bad ankle. It's been with him for quite some time, way before the ACLS.

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 09:53 PM
The pain killer must be wearing off, has a noticable limp now. Still pitching a good game. He has heart!

sq764
10-19-2004, 10:13 PM
PA, how can I possibly pay attention to the actual game? I am focused on spotting a black person in the stands..

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 10:42 PM
I thought we were going to drop this racial stuff?

But, just to let you know, the crowd at Yankee stadium appears much more diverse than the crowd at Fenway.

Of course, it isn't tough to pull that feat off.....

BTW, nice shot by Williams just now.

Bubbles
10-19-2004, 10:51 PM
BTW, nice shot by Williams just now.

Still need 4 more to take the lead. Although, with Arroyo coming in, you never know what's gonna happen.

sq764
10-19-2004, 10:54 PM
sheesh, first I am overreacting, now I am out of line for playing along..

it's like I have 2 wives..

Bubbles
10-19-2004, 10:55 PM

Don't even THINK such thoughts! :eek:

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 11:03 PM
sheesh, first I am overreacting, now I am out of line for playing along..

It's always tough to convey your true meaning through this medium. My apologies.....

And if you ever think of me as your wife again........

lol

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 11:04 PM
I can't believe the Sox are on their way to tying this series. They're still a bunch of poseurs, but they certainly deserve props if they get this to a game 7....unreal....

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-19-2004, 11:21 PM
What the Hell was that

Good Call my the Umpires

Bubbles
10-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Now for the garbage on the field...

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I can't believe these idiot fans are throwing baseballs onto the field.. This is just stupid and very dangerous...

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Never a dull moment!

I live for this :p

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Why does Jeter go all the way back to first? It was a ground ball. Shouldn't Jeter be sent back to second?

Bubbles
Double-post for emphasis, huh? :p ;)

PaceAdvantage
I can't believe these idiot fans are throwing baseballs onto the field.. This is just stupid and very dangerous...

But oh so appropriate....

Bubbles
10-19-2004, 11:29 PM
But oh so appropriate....

Rationalizing, are we? :rolleyes:

Prepare for Game Seven, guys and gals.

Dave Schwartz
10-19-2004, 11:29 PM
PA,

On interference where the batter does not reach first, the runners return.

That was a good call. It is all about intent.

Dave

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Not really. I've already accepted that the Yankees might lose this game.

Ballplayers are always jacking wicked line drives into the crowd. What's a few balls coming the other way? Boston fans were throwing back all those balls the Yanks hit into the stands the other night....I didn't hear anyone complaining then....

schweitz
10-19-2004, 11:32 PM

They must have shown a replay at the stadium---the fans calmed down pretty quickly.

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Not really. I've already accepted that the Yankees might lose this game.

Ballplayers are always jacking wicked line drives into the crowd. What's a few balls coming the other way? Boston fans were throwing back all those balls the Yanks hit into the stands the other night....I didn't hear anyone complaining then....

I knew you'd find a way to rationalize the idiot fans for doing what they're doing.. You are getting to be too predictable :-)

JustRalph
10-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Why does Jeter go all the way back to first? It was a ground ball. Shouldn't Jeter be sent back to second?

from what I remember, no advantage can be attained by the offending team when interference is called. So it is treated as if Alex struck out. No base advantage...........etc.......

IRISHLADSTABLE
10-19-2004, 11:39 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/runner_7.jsp

BIG RED
10-19-2004, 11:40 PM
What now, every time they make a call they are going to throw stuff on the feild and at the players?

Hope this doesn't end up like european soccer. STUPID!

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:43 PM
This is just sad.. A potential classic series marred by this stupid bullshit.. just sad..

Dave Schwartz
PA,

Now we got the riot guys out on the field!

Hate to say it but this is making NY look really bad.

Dave

Bubbles
Riot gear...good Lord...

Tom
10-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Is there some rule that theses $#%$^&%^& games have to go until 2am every night!!!! Bring back day games....at least you can lsitne on the radio at work.
Final Score"
Boston 4
New York 3
Riot Police 2

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:45 PM
And the worst part of it all is both calls were correct (the homerun was a homerun and A-rod's play was called correctly)

Zaf
10-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Nice to see the umpires get it right .

ZAFONIC

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 11:50 PM
I knew you'd find a way to rationalize the idiot fans for doing what they're doing.. You are getting to be too predictable :-)

It's NY. It's a tough crowd. Deal with it.

And they showed a clip of the Fenway faithful throwing stuff on the field. It happens everywhere at times.

Is it any worse than Pedro or Schilling head-hunting like the punks they are? More likely these two will kill someone with antics like that, then a fan lobbing a ball onto a big ol' field with 12 people standing around.

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:50 PM
They have GOT to get Damon out of there if they force a game 7.. He is an absolute joke of a disgrace in this series..

Sturz throws 6 straight balls, and you are hitting .100 and you swing at a ball on 2-0??? Holy shit..

Bubbles
10-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Is it any worse than Pedro or Schilling head-hunting like the punks they are?

Funny, no Yankee fan spoke out about this when Clemens was in pinstripes...

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Did you guys miss the clip of fans throwing stuff at Fenway. It happens everywhere. Not just a NY thing....but I like to think we're best at it....

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:52 PM
It's NY. It's a tough crowd. Deal with it.

And they showed a clip of the Fenway faithful throwing stuff on the field. It happens everywhere at times.

Is it any worse than Pedro or Schilling head-hunting like the punks they are? More likely these two will kill someone with antics like that, then a fan lobbing a ball onto a big ol' field with 12 people standing around.

PA, if you are comparing fans throwing baseballs at players versus a pitcher hitting a batter, which is part of the game, that's just sad..

You have seriously got to be kidding me..

PaceAdvantage
3 runs and Boston goes home....remember that....

If not, we get to do this one more time....either way....

PaceAdvantage
PA, if you are comparing fans throwing baseballs at players versus a pitcher hitting a batter, which is part of the game, that's just sad..

You have seriously got to be kidding me..

Pitchers trying to kill someone by throwing a fastball at the head isn't part of a game. Never has been.

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Just stop acting like only Yankee fans throw stuff on the field. If we can all accept this fact, we can move on to the bottom of the ninth.

Now excuse me while I go plop myself on the couch and put my rally cap on....

RXB
10-19-2004, 11:55 PM
"It's NY. It's a tough crowd. Deal with it."

So when those fans attacked the first base coach in Chicago, it was just a tough crowd and the coach should just "deal with it."

Gimme a break.

sq764
10-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Pitchers trying to kill someone by throwing a fastball at the head isn't part of a game. Never has been.

Yes, they are trying to kill people.. Tell me this, how many people have Pedro and Schilling hit in the head?

How about former Yankee Roger Clemens? You didn't seem to have an issue with him hitting Piazza in the head.. Wonder why..

Zaf
10-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Wouldn't it be fun to see a Game 7. Sorry PA.

ZAFONIC

Bubbles
10-19-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
Funny, no Yankee fan spoke out about this when Clemens was in pinstripes...

We agree, SQ.

Bubbles
10-20-2004, 12:10 AM
YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zaf
10-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Yeah, Sleep :) , 1 Game Series !!! This is incredible.

ZAFONIC

BIG RED
10-20-2004, 12:11 AM
HISTORY is being made !!!

Dave Schwartz
10-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Schilling needs to be congratulated! What a performance.

sq764
10-20-2004, 12:12 AM
I am as pleased as I am stunned that I will be watching the Red Sox playing on Wednesday

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Yes, they are trying to kill people.. Tell me this, how many people have Pedro and Schilling hit in the head?

How about former Yankee Roger Clemens? You didn't seem to have an issue with him hitting Piazza in the head.. Wonder why..

Funny, I don't remember approving of Clemens ever going after someone intentionally. Not my style. I hate it when pitchers intentionally throw at people. Yankee pitchers...any pitchers.

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 12:14 AM
They already had the "Why Not Us" T-shirts printed up.....like I said, bunch of poseurs....lol

Remember, this is the ultimate DREAM CRUSHING performance.

Maybe it's the Yankee dream of another World Series that might get crushed, but that's doubtful. This is the Red Sox we're talking about....

Just take them as far to the edge as you can, and pull the cliff out from under them!!! LOL

Good luck tomorrow boys....and bring your HARD HATS

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 12:18 AM
I like it so much, I'm going to have a t-shirt printed up....

Take Them As Far To The Edge As You Can, Then Pull The CLIFF Out From Under Them

You think that will all fit on the front of the shirt?

sq764
10-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Panic is very unbecoming of you PA, but it is fun to watch :-)

Steve 'StatMan'
10-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Wow! Great series! Yes, gutsy effort by Schilling.

I was going to make a joke late in the 19-8 Game 3 hat the Sox strategy was to let the Yankee's swing and run the bases and poop them out. But I'm amazed the Sox pitching staff and bullpen have come through after all they had to pitch earlier.

Looking forward to one more game, no matter who wins.

sq764
10-20-2004, 12:21 AM
One thing that I find quite funny is that Sheffield runs his mouth after game 3 and has been 1 for 13 since..

Way to give a team down 3-0 something to rally around moron..

JustRalph
10-20-2004, 12:23 AM
One thing that I find quite funny is that Sheffield runs his mouth after game 3 and has been 1 for 13 since..

Way to give a team down 3-0 something to rally around moron..
Somebody fill me in on what Sheff. said? I missed it........

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Panic is very unbecoming of you PA, but it is fun to watch :-)

Oh, you're no fun. If you want to see panic, just call me your wife one more time! LOL

In the grand scheme of things, the Red Sox beating the Yankees or vice versa ranks surprisingly low on my scale of important things in life. It's an exciting, and currently frustrating diversion from real life (as is this board), but that's all it really is.

Whether the Yankees win or not, I still gotta pay bills at the end of the month....

sq764
10-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Gotta say, regardless of who wins, I gotta say I am impressed with the Sox and how they fought..

If they lose tomorrow, it would be disappointing, but they showed a lot out there this week.. Not a lot of teams down 3-0 could do this.. Well, technically no one ever has..

sq764
10-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Oh, you're no fun. If you want to see panic, just call me your wife one more time! LOL

In the grand scheme of things, the Red Sox beating the Yankees or vice versa ranks surprisingly low on my scale of important things in life. It's an exciting, and currently frustrating diversion from real life (as is this board), but that's all it really is.

Whether the Yankees win or not, I still gotta pay bills at the end of the month....

Agreed.. But I work with the biggest jackass Yankme fan of all time.. (yes, even bigger than you :-)

Every year this series determines how much I have to talk to him until Spring Training.

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Actually, either way you think about it, tomorrow's game is the ultimate DREAM CRUSHING no matter how it turns out....

A DREAM CRUSHING for the Yankees, if the Red Sox actually, for once in our lifetime, beat the Yankees and make it to the World Series.....

or

A DREAM CRUSHING for the Red Sox, to go down 3-0, win three straight to keep the dream very much alive, only to lose a game seven and have everything snatched away once again. (I like this scenario best)

Maybe another T-shirt is in order?

sq764
10-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Actually, either way you think about it, tomorrow's game is the ultimate DREAM CRUSHING no matter how it turns out....

A DREAM CRUSHING for the Yankees, if the Red Sox actually, for once in our lifetime, beat the Yankees and make it to the World Series.....

or

A DREAM CRUSHING for the Red Sox, to go down 3-0, win three straight to keep the dream very much alive, only to lose a game seven and have everything snatched away once again. (I like this scenario best)

Maybe another T-shirt is in order?

I really think the Yanks have a lot more to lose tomorrow.. If the Sox lose, in reality, they did the unthinkable even getting there to game 7.. So a loss is almost expected..

If the Yanks lose, they would be the team that lost 4 straight games after being up 3-0, and getting the choke tag..

I'd like the sox to win, but if they don't, they've made an amazing run..

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 01:03 AM
What disappointed me the most about fans in the stadium tonight was not that they threw stuff on the field...you risk being jailed or thrown out of the park for that....

What disappointed me was their lack of INTENSITY!!! I know the weather sucked, but they did NOTHING for the team until somebody got a hit late in the game.....I mean, I could swear I was hearing the Boston fans chanting "Yankees Suck"......and I was hearing them pretty loud and clear....The Yanks were down by 4 runs at most at any one point, a deficit that could have been easily overcome in one half of an inning....there was no reason for the fans to be this silent at any point in the game.

The fans at the stadium should have been drowning the Boston fans out, or at least aiming those baseballs in ANOTHER DIRECTION!!!

BIG RED
10-20-2004, 02:32 AM
Pace, yes I heard Yankees suck chants also. BUT......

what's this "Whether the Yankees win or not, I still have to pay bills at the end of the month" Sounds like a cop-out already.

Game 7, can't wait. I know it might be tough to realize, but I am not wrapped up in who wins. Should be great game, great series, great ending for 'someone'

BIG RED
10-20-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Somebody fill me in on what Sheff. said? I missed it........

JR

Still don't know how to cut and paste, I guess?, on page 4 on this thread.

sq764
10-20-2004, 09:16 AM
PA, serious question..

Do you feel as confident, more confident or less confident for game 7 this year as compared to last year?

My guy here at work is saying the right things (the curse is still in place, we are still confident, etc..).. But for the first time I see a little fear in his voice.. I didn't see that last year before Game 7..

I am wondering if this year has a different feel for Yank fans..

I don't even know what to think... Only that I cannot take another game 7 like last year.. I want a 15-0 blowout for either team.. Would prefer the Sox, but if the Sox are going to lose, I'd rather know it in the 3rd inning that in the 8th or 9th... or 15th

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by BIG RED
what's this "Whether the Yankees win or not, I still have to pay bills at the end of the month" Sounds like a cop-out already.

What would you rather I do? Not go on living? (Don't answer that....I know some on here would like to see me off myself.....lol)

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2004, 09:43 AM
PA, serious question..

Do you feel as confident, more confident or less confident for game 7 this year as compared to last year?

My guy here at work is saying the right things (the curse is still in place, we are still confident, etc..).. But for the first time I see a little fear in his voice.. I didn't see that last year before Game 7..

I am wondering if this year has a different feel for Yank fans..

I don't even know what to think... Only that I cannot take another game 7 like last year.. I want a 15-0 blowout for either team.. Would prefer the Sox, but if the Sox are going to lose, I'd rather know it in the 3rd inning that in the 8th or 9th... or 15th

As confident....but, since you don't know what this exactly means (I could have been crapping in my pants last year for all you know), the "as confident" reply doesn't mean much....another cop-out I guess.

sq764
10-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Well, I think Rivera and Gordon getting a day to rest certainly helps the Yank bullpen.. I think foulke's arm is going to fall off if he throws one more pitch.

To make matters even more cloudy for all of us, you have 2 pitchers who are about as inconsistent as they get.. They have each throw gems this year and have each been bombed this year.. Who knows what's going to happen.

sq764
10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I don't believe in curses or stats or any of that crap, but this is weird.. From the news and notes from the game:

The Yankees had won six straight playoff games before dropping three in a row to Boston. They have not lost four in a row in a single postseason since the 1981 World Series when they squandered a 2-0 advantage to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

(And what's weird is the Yanks had 5 former Cubs on their team in 1981).

kenwoodallpromos
10-20-2004, 01:56 PM
I think pitching has been and game 7 will be the difference. I still pick the Yanks.

RXB
10-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Now, that's why you don't bail on one of your best players just because he's had a few tough games.

2 for 2, stolen base, grand slam. Way to go, Johnny. Good thing that somebody here isn't the Red Sox manager.

Dave Schwartz
10-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Is baseball a great game or what?

sq764
10-20-2004, 09:53 PM
I can't believe what I am seeing...

And yet there are 6 more agonizing Yankee at-bats to sweat through..

Zaf
10-20-2004, 09:58 PM
Bailing on Daman wasn't even a thought. You had to believe he would eventually be his old self. He's too good a ball player. Probably one of the best leadoff guys in baseball. Boy the WS will probably boring compared to this.

ZAFONIC

JustMissed
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey, I looking at 8-1 in the 4th.

Maybe the Yanks have become late runners and will pull ahead.

UgOh....bases loaded for the Sox.

Check you later.

JM

sq764
10-20-2004, 10:09 PM
bases loaded 1 out and you get shit.. That's the stuff that can hurt later in the game.. You have them on the ropes, you kill em..

ugggg

Zaf
10-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Maybe they should of started Loaiza tonight ?

ZAFONIC

Zaf
10-20-2004, 10:11 PM
bases loaded 1 out and you get shit.. That's the stuff that can hurt later in the game.. You have them on the ropes, you kill em..

ugggg

They have a 7 run lead, they have the arms to finish the game. They have no excuse now.

ZAFONIC

sq764
10-20-2004, 10:25 PM
More runs down the damn drain, bases loaded 1 out again and nothing.. just freaking awful

WINMANWIN
10-20-2004, 10:28 PM
If the SOX blow this game, They will BURN DOWN FENWAY PARK:cool: CONGRATS SOX FANS, for making HISTORY, all them heartaches, and to beat the YANKS 4 staright, should feel awfull
good. Sometimes, its just meant to be, WIN OR LOSE in the world
series, It shouldn't matter, Tonite was sweet redemption. As
for TORRE inserting Vasquez in the 2nd, I think it was a VERY POOR DECISION. How can you insert Vasquez ?????? He faced Damon at Yankee Stadium in June, and the same result happened again TONITE, 2 HOME RUNS :confused: Torre has the stats, if he lets Brown pitch to Damon, and BROWN gives up the Gopher ball Grandslam, he tells the Media, Vasquez gave up 2 gopher balls to Damon in June, Why NOT BROWN:eek: He set him self up to be 2nd guessed big time in my book, and the strategy was horrible. It probably didn't matter, but TORRE'S decision to bring in VASQUEZ, WAS JUST Wrong, AND BAD....:o

Zaf
10-20-2004, 10:29 PM
What could go wrong for them now. What awful thing could happen to them. They may actually do it.

ZAFONIC