PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Thursday, July 25

Teach
07-25-2019, 07:56 AM
Race One:

NO PICKS

Race Two:

As I often do, I’m looking for value. I’m willing to eschew “the chalk” and try to “scooch” home a longshot, or at the very least, a medium-priced horse. Thus in this 5 and ½ panels, main-track, 50k maiden claimer I’ve landed on the “rail horse,” :1: MRS. AWESOME. This bay filly’s connections are excellent. Lee Pokoik (think Sippican Harbor, she won the Grade I Spinaway Stakes last year; she’s been bred to Medaglia d’Oro). This filly’s trainer is the most capable Gary Contessa. Yes, admittedly, Contessa does not have the most eye-popping numbers when it comes to Debut Maiden Claimers, but this filly’s pedigree does impress me. Her dam, Playful Run, had 6 winners from 6 starters, and 1 stakes winners. As “The Houdini of the Hardwood” used to say: “Not too shabby.” Then there’s “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario. Further, the recent morning works appear to say, “This filly is ‘a player’.” I would not be surprised if she gets track announcer Larry Collmus’s first call. If this 2-year old breaks alertly, it may be: “Katy-bar-the-door!” Oh, there are a lot of “ifs,” but as my father used to say: "No guts, no glory!” I’ll certainly watch this horse both on the track and on the board. Others: :5:, :3:, :6:

Teach
07-25-2019, 08:15 AM
Race Three:

I’m going with the “outside” horse, :7: PAVED WITH GOLD. My thinking: There’s not much early speed in this 9-panels route. I believe this Street Sense-home bred filly can be well-positioned as the field quickly enters that first turn. The first word that comes to mind is: “stalking”. This filly should be looming just outside the front-runner(s). Then, as the field reaches the top of the stretch: “pounce”. One of my favorites handicapping angles is evident: turf-to-dirt. This filly’s trainer is one of the finest conditioners in North America (off to a slow Spa start), “Big D’s” Todd Pletcher. Pletcher does very well in most racing categories. Irad Ortiz, Jr. has been as hot as a petardo. Oh yes, the morning works have been “good and steady”. Others: :1:, :2:, :6:

Teach
07-25-2019, 08:31 AM
Race Four:

We’re on The Inner. 11-panels. 90k MSW. I’ve perused and scrutinized. I’ve “landed” on: :1: TIDE OF THE SEA. It’s the Hall-of-Famer, Bill Mott from Mount Rushmore Land, who conditions this Smart Strike-bred colt. This English Channel-bred just missed at 10 furlongs downstate at Belmont about 2 and ½ months ago. This 3-year old can handle the distance. The colt has the riding services of Joel Rosario. This Empire Maker-bred should be well-positioned for a winning stretch run. Others: :6:, :3:, :7:

Teach
07-25-2019, 08:49 AM
Race Five:

The Hall-of-Fame trainer, Steve Asmussen, from “the Streets of Laredo,” has a sharp entrant in this 7-panels sprint. I’m talkin’ about :3: PYRON. This Candy Ride-bred colt finished up the track in his last at Churchill, that despite being sent off as a 5/2 shot. A chance to make amends at The Spa. Before that last effort in Louisville, this Ride the Rails-bred finished a closing 4th at Pimlico in the Grade III Chick Lang, that despite being bumped. If this chestnut colt is reasonably ready… The Panamanian-born jinete (think Laffit Pincay, Jr., Braulio Baeza, Luis Saez, Jose Lezcano, etc.), Ricardo Santana, Jr., is in the irons. The most recent morning work at CD was good. I believe that the “220” stretch off his last effort will enhance this colt’s chances of gracing the winner’s circle. Others: :6:, :1:, :7:

Teach
07-25-2019, 09:12 AM
It’s Pick-6 time. As we left 267 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY last evening, we were left with a nearly 44k Pick-6 carryover. I would not be surprised if the pot easily gets into six-figures by Race Six post-time, that’s slated for a little after 3:30 p.m.

Race Six: :12:, :4:, :11:, :1:

Race Seven: :2:, :4:, :3:, :8:

Race Eight: :6:, :7:, :8:, :9:

Race Nine: :2:, :4:, :1:, :5:

Race Ten: :2:, :4:, :5:, :8:

Race Eleven: :4:, :3:, :12:, :8:

Robert Fischer
07-25-2019, 11:21 AM
Nice picks. Good luck today Teach

Teach
07-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Race Five:

With the showers, I still like :3: PYRON, if anything, even better than if the track were fast; yet, I believe Dylan Davis's gelding, :7: Family Biz, and possibly :8:, I'm Busy, are enhanced by the rains.